Colt and Jake seem like brothers. Thats a good sign.
I joined this board when you guys signed Jake. I said then that you won't find a better mentor for a young QB than Jake Delhomme.
Colt and Jake seem like brothers. Thats a good sign.
I joined this board when you guys signed Jake. I said then that you won't find a better mentor for a young QB than Jake Delhomme.
I'm really quite excited to see what Jakeysnakes can do for us. I rag on him all the time, but I've always liked him. He's a class-act guy, and he does know how to win. I'm just worried his best years are behind him.I live about 4 hours from Charlotte, and I've been to plenty of Panthers games. Also, two of my good friends are die-hard Panthers fans. So I've heard about and seen this guy more than enough to know what he's capable of. When he's on, he's on. But, as we all saw last year, when he's off- he's horrible to watch.
Here's to hoping next season we see his 2004 form, and not his 2009.
Good luck Jake. Don't xxxx it up, or we'll all hate you.
As a Panthers fan, I still think Jake's demise was mental. As I've said before, Jake lost his long time QB coach to Denver last year (Mike McCoy, OC in Denver). Our new qb coach was Rip Scherer, who Browns fans should be quite familiar with. Here's a blog from the middle of last season from a Panthers' beat writer, Darin Gantt:
We'll find out if the Jake Delhomme experiment works Sunday. But at least when he walks onto the field, he won't be worrying about his release point.As we wrote this morning, the team has agreed to back off some of the tinkering with his mechanics. It's a tough call to make, especially since new QB coach Rip Scherer was brought here specifically to make Delhomme a better technical passer.
But there's something to be said here about pack mules and racehorses, and trying to turn one into another.
One teammate said yesterday that a little freedom of mind can't hurt the beleagured passer, pointing out how much better he is in two-minute situations than other points in the game.
Last week, he looked best late, when there was a what-the-heck drive which included him going deep for a few big chunks of yardage.
Delhomme works best when he's playing with a bit of seat-of-the-pants, what's-coming-next flair, and if he's not thinking about his drop-backs or his foot-placement or the angle of his arm on release, it can only help.
Because really, what's he going to do, get worse?
I can tell you, what you see is what you get. There's nothing phony about Delhomme. He'll always take blame, and give credit.
Jake Delhomme
I have one. Carolina alternate blue, autographed. Not that I'm selling.
This is what you'll get with Jake:
They need a guy that is going to grab everybody by the throat and say, 'Follow me through that door.'
Guys, Delhomme went 12-4 in 2008 AFTER his TJ surgery. He'll have an occasional bad game, because he'll sling it around. Last year, he lost his long time qb coach (went to Denver as OC), and the new guy tried to work on his "fundamentals", and screwed up his head. Jake tried to think too much last year instead of playing his game. JMHO
Peyton Hillis is a throwback player. He's 250 pounds of hard running attitude. He can play FB, RB, KR and while he won't outrace too many, he will occassionaly run them over and smile while doing it. He'll try his best to make a tackler pay for the hit. He'll fight for every inch, and he's a team guy. He was put in McDaniels doghouse early last season and never got out. None of us seem to know exactly what he did, it just happened. Hillis had some of the best hands on the Broncos team. The kid can flat out catch. You guys are getting a hard-nosed, country boy that will fight for everything he gets and plays with a chip on his shoulder. I hope he gets a chance to play there, because he's fun to watch. He got traded because of the doghouse, not his contributions to the team. He was a fan favorite here and will be a fan favorite in Cleveland if he gets his chance. Very good pick up Browns fans, you're going to love him
Sounds like what we (Panthers) just lost in Brad Hoover.
Guys, Panthers fan here. You guys got a good one with Jake. He'll have a couple of weird games, but his problems last year were all mental. He'll be fine with a change of scenery. 2 years ago, we went 12-4, he took us to the playoffs 3 times in 6 years with 11-5, 11-5, and 12-4 records. Several of those wins were come from behind in the 4th quarter. After the 2008 season, his qb coach went to Denver as OC. Our new QB coach is great for bringing up young guys, but he tried to change Jake's delivery, and really messed with his head. A fresh start will allow him to do what he does best. But you guys need a running game, and someone for Jake to throw it to.
He'll be the best mentor for a young QB that you could have, trust me.