@earl34 said:
If you were realistic and objective you'd see that Eric Mangini has the ability to coach in the league and coach well. Those statements come from people in the NFL, not from me. He beat Belichick and Fisher in successive weeks in 2008 and was 8-3. They tanked and the media turned on him. Jets fans buy that media. They parrot it like it's gospel. I live in it so I'm not guessing.
At a minimum, you should be able to acknowledge that he's turned this team around and he's learned from his personal mistakes. You can't separate out the current Jets success from Mangini. The foundation was laid in 2006. When you go to the playoffs with D-Rob as your 0-technique....that's saying something. For my money, Mangini's firing in NY was not about X's and O's or even tanking. It was about Woody wanting the change. You can't sell PSLs without an outgoing, salesman coach. Admittedly, that's not Eric Mangini's strength. If you think it was because he couldn't coach...you're mistaken. Tannenbaum saved his own ass (and no one can blame him, I suppose) but it was media driven and political.
Hillis didn't do shit against the Steelers and the Saints. Even without Jenkins, he isn't going to run over the Jets. We'll stack the box and our secondary can stop whatever receivers..Stuckey?...the Browns have.
Our offense will be the question mark. Browns have a good D, and I see this being a 10-7 9-6 type game. But if you think you are dropping 34 points on the Jets? not gonna happen.
As for Mangini, I think he did get a raw deal here in NY. He's a good football mind, and I think between him and Tannenbaum, they brought in some good players. I think that Favre coming in was a horrible idea, and it hamstrung Mangini, and then he took the fall
But I've been a Jet fan for 25 years, and Rex makes watching and being a Jet fan more fun. Mangini is boring, and I think ultimatly his teams reflect that. Last years run was great, and we're 6-2. I think the Browns were overlooked by the Pats and the Saints, and I don't think the Jets will do that.
We'll see. As for the Braylon broken leg comment, maybe its fans like that that made him not want to play in your city anymore..we'd rather have him here, driving around the upper west side drunk off his ass, catching td's on sunday. Stay classy Cleveland