The Cowboys have won one single playoff game in like the last 20 years (since their last SB title). The Browns have done that well. Until this year, the Niners hadn't even made the playoffs for a decade.
Until Peyton Manning arrived the Colts had been garbage for 25 years.
A lot of it has to do with the coach. (see Pats under BB), or QB (Colts with Manning), or both (Pats again)
Some of it is indeed "system", "front office" "ownership"....those are the ones that maintain. Steelers, yes. Giants, Packers perhaps.
Likewise the "bad teams" could be attributed to ownership. The Lions under William Clay Ford. The Cardinals under Bidwill. The Colts under Irsay Sr.
...and yes, the Steelers under Art Rooney Sr. It wasn't until Dan Rooney took over as the effective owner of the team in the 60s/70s that the Steelers began winning.
Randy Lerner certainly isn't off to a good start with his ownership. But, things can and do turn around.
I agree....... I really thought Holmgren would have had this team turned around very quickly. Maybe I'm puting too much on Holmgren but, it just seems like his influence hasn't showed up as much as I expected. I think this season should be a stepping stone towards the right direction for the Browns.