No, I'm not a Browns fan. I'm a Bills fan and obviously our franchise is, how do I put this gently, equivalent in some rather unflattering ways. In other words: you suck, we suck and anybody who thinks otherwise is a Kool-Aid guzzling homer.
I like Mike Pettine and the job he did in Buffalo for ONE SEASON. No, the Bills did not have a dominant defense but there was substantial improvement in the pass rush and (as a result) creating turnovers in the secondary. That said: CLEVELAND FINISHED AHEAD OF BUFFALO IN TOTAL DEFENSE. Personally I would rather have Ray Horton than Mike Pettine. The big problem I had with Pettine's defense is that it has a severe "boom or bust" quality. Either we gave up a long TD or we sacked the QB or forced a turnover. It certainly isn't boring but we have 3 Pro Bowl defensive lineman up front and stole Indy's first round pick (Jerry Hughes) from a few years ago. We have guys who can run the aggressive scheme Pettine learned from Rex Ryan.
A couple of concerns I would have as a Browns fan, and I'm not so take it for what it's worth:
The Bills defense gave up 20 points or more in 14 of 16 games, they dominated one game the entire season against Miami at home in December. They also beat up Geno Smith at home but still gave up 14 points. Scoring defense is a problem and the Bills were improved under Pettine but not tremendously. I think we ended up a mediocre 20th in scoring defense. Tough to win when you give up 20 points every single game.
The Pettine resume is paper thin. Pettine came to Buffalo from the Jets and it was not a lateral move, it was a promotion. Being the DC in New York under Rex Ryan is like being the QB's Coach for Peyton Manning. It's a title but that's about it. I have the same criticism of our own Head Coach who was the OC under Sean Payton in New Orleans, you might hold the call sheet but you don't have much much influence over what's on it or what gets called. Pettine came to Buffalo to prove himself and he made strides in that area but at this point last year I wasn't sure if he could even handle the DC job with us. He was a bit of a question mark and while he obviously can bring the heat I hope stopping the run isn't important in your division. Buffalo could not stop the run under Pettine and made little, if any, improvement at all.
In general, losing Pettine will hurt Buffalo a little but it won't help Cleveland as much as it maybe hurts Buffalo. I have no feel for what Pettine will be as a head coach since he was barely one year into his role as a defensive coordinator. I suspect he will struggle and both the Bills and Browns will be looking for a new Head Coach as early as next January. Unfortunately, leadership comes from the top and both the Bills and Browns have horrible ownership.