I understand it was a different game back then. I understand that he threw for more yards then they did back then. I just cannot get behind it.
Sure he had a ton of charisma, and flamboyance, but that to me isn't reason enough to make it into the hall of fame. That honor is reserved for the best players ever to play professional football.
These are some of his highlights, or lowlights of his career in 13 seasons.
1. Only exceeded 50% comp percent 6 times.
2. Only completed 6 seasons fully, although a couple he had 12, 13 games
3. Only 3x passed 3k yard, 1 of which was 4k yards. Only surpassed 2500 yards 6x including the 2 3k seasons and 4k season.
4. Only surpassed 19 touchdowns 6x.
5. Never threw less than 17 picks if he played more then 10 games. Only achieved less than 10 in 2 seasons where he got hurt, and played in less than 6 games. Even then he threw at least 5 in those seasons.
6. Had 9x where he threw 15+ picks and some of those seasons he only play 12+ games with a maximum of 14.
By comparison Fran Tarkenton important highlights:
1. Played 18 years. Only 1 season of less then 13 games.
2. in 14 of his 18 seasons he threw for more than 2500 yards. 2 of the seasons he failed to meet this, he was injured and play 10 games or less in each.
3. He surpassed 17 picks in a season only 4 times. 7 seasons he had 12 picks or less.
4. Failed to reach 50% passing in only 1 season, and had at least 55% in 12 seasons. 5 of which were 60%+
5. 14 seasons of at least 17 td passes ranging up to 29 along that span.
6. finished with career totals of a whopping 47000 yards passing 342 TDs, vs. 266 Ints. And a 57% career completion rate.
To me that is a hall of fame career in that day and age. I just don't see it with Namath. I accept he is in, and I am sure he is deserving for some reason. For me as far as a player goes, he didn't deserve it. Maybe his personality and flash had big draws for football, or something.