@emdiggy said:
Reason for Optimism
REALISTICALLY speaking... there is none. The Browns STRUGGLED to win 7 games last season, LOSING 6 of 7, and their last 5 in a row to close the season. The ONLY win in that stretch was a win in ATL, where a couple poor coaching decisions by Smith (winningest coach in franchise history) cost them the game and quite possibly his job. Based in the Browns schedule in 2014, they should have won no less than 10 games. TEN, JAX, OAK, and TAM COMBINED to go 10-54 (Browns lost to JAX ONLY scoring 6 PTS) Nobody in the NFC South (ATL, CAR, NO, and TAM) even had a winning record. HOU (30 INC passes) and BUF (Hoyer FINALLY benched for poor play, but still CLAIMED it was his team) and then there was the MISSED opportunity vs IND (where the DEF dominated) where Hoyer only managed to pass for 136 YDS, and was 4-15 on 3rd downs. The DEF forced 4 TO's, 3 SACKS, and outscored the OFF for the 2nd time during the season (NO).
I don't think the DEF got better, I think they added DEPTH, DUPLICATE parts. The PASS game was awful last year, Hoyer couldn't throw to win games. I think the OL and RUN game is a strength, but once again, it comes down to LEADERSHIP and QB PLAY, and McCown is the same waste of time as Hoyer was, IMO.
Cause for Concern
No question its QB play, I still DON'T quite understand the McCown (1-10 last year) signing, and naming him as the starter early on. I remember they ran Campbell out of town, because he was 1-7, DEF cost him at least 3 wins, because he EARNED an escalator in his contract. He managed to PASS Gordon and Cameron to the Pro Bowl, with NO RUN GAME, had 4 RUSH TDS the entire season. The failure to make drafting a TOP TIER WR, when they had the OPPORTUNITY to do so, and NEED, for the 2nd Draft in a row, will quite possibly lead to the end of the Farmer era. They have ALWAYS had a need for a WR opposite Gordon, and a guy who could take the lead, in situations of injury or in Gordon's case, suspension. There were 8-10 rookie WR's last year, that were MORE PRODUCTIVE than the Browns best, does that REPEAT this year? Another cause for concern, is UNREALISTIC expectations, and how they IMPACT the team moving forward.
The Road to the Super Bowl for the Browns
Quite simply, purchase tickets... this team has NO CHANCE to reach the Super Bowl, I think they should focus on at least trying to win more than 2 division games, and finishing 4th in the division. Nevertheless, I'll humor you...
1. QB Play is Efficient - I'm sorry, but NOTHING about McCown moves me. not that he's a bad guy, I just don't think he's very good, I put he and Hoyer in the same category, McCown has just had more field time. So much was made about Hoyer being 10-6 as a starter, yet he ONLY defeated 2 teams with winning records (CIN, PIT) The Browns just aren't good enough to win with efficient QB play, they need a QB that can go out and WIN games. What;s GAINED by playing McCown? He was benched by the time TAM came to CLE last year. I say hand the ball to Manziel, and let him find his way.
2. Kicking Game Steps Up - I'm not sure if they even have settled on a kicker going into camp. They've yet to find anyone close to what they had in Dawson. Last year it was Cundiff and Hartley (who didn't miss) I think it will be one of the more interesting competitions in camp, Spear has a strong leg, and is my choice if they trust going into a season with someone unproven.
3. Run Defense Improves - I think the biggest problem with the Browns run DEF, is the Browns OFF. The inability to convert 3rd downs, move the chains, extend possessions, eventually, FATIGUE sets in. The loss to IND would be a prime example in support of that claim.