Interesting but why get Gerhart when we picked up Hillis. I was a fan of Gerhart as well but since we picked up Hillis I think we can rule out Gerhart.
BrownsFanForLife
Posts
-
Draft I'd Love -
Gocong and Brown -
Gocong and BrownAmazing trade for the browns.
Can't wait till the draft.
-
Eagles Add Savage To Personnel StaffThe Eagles on Thursday announced they have named Phil Savage as a Player Personnel Consultant for the 2010 draft. In this role, Savage will work with Eagles General Manager Howie Roseman and Director of Player Personnel Ryan Grigson in their draft preparations, specifically in the evaluation of draft prospects in the Southeast portion of the country.
"I've always admired the work Phil Savage has done," said Roseman. "And after spending time with him this past year, I realized how well we could work together. Phil is an excellent talent evaluator and having an extra set of eyes for us to utilize will definitely help our scouting staff as we prepare for the draft. He's spent time working on the 2010 draft class already, so Ryan and I thought it is was a slam dunk when the opportunity was there for us to add him to our staff."
Said Savage, who served as the radio color analyst for the Crimson Tide Sports Network in 2009: "This is a great opportunity for me to get back in the NFL. I'm really excited about the role the Eagles have afforded me and I'm ready to help Howie and the rest of their scouting staff in the best way I possibly can."
The 44-year-old Savage spent four seasons as Senior Vice President and General Manager of the Cleveland Browns from 2005-08. In his four years with the Browns, the team acquired five Pro Bowl players (three through the college draft) and won a franchise-best 10 games in 2007. That year, the Browns had six players selected to the Pro Bowl (Derek Anderson, Joshua Cribbs, Braylon Edwards, Ryan Pontbriand, Joe Thomas, and Kellen Winslow), which was the most by the franchise since six players were chosen in 1995.
-
RUMOR: On Sportstalk ClevelandWashington Redskins
In his 23-year career with the Washington Redskins, the team went to four Super Bowls, winning three. Casserly was an assistant to Bobby Beathard for two of the Super Bowl winning seasons. In 2003, NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue appointed him to the NFL's Competition Committee for the second time (2003–06; 1996–1999).
Casserly started with the Redskins in 1977 as an unpaid intern under Hall of Fame coach, George Allen. Washington hired Casserly as a scout the next season. During his early years as a scout, he unearthed free agents Joe Jacoby and Jeff Bostic, who were original members of the famed "Hogs" offensive line and key components of Washington's first two Super Bowl teams. Jacoby was selected to four Pro Bowls and Bostic made one trip to Honolulu. The Redskins elevated Casserly to Assistant General Manager in 1982 and the club went on to capture its first Super Bowl. That year, Casserly also re-instituted the club's intern program, which has produced more than 20 league executives over his years in Washington and Houston.
In 1987 during the NFL players strike, Casserly put together the Redskins' "replacement" team that went 3–0 before the strike ended, including a Monday Night win against a Dallas team that featured a number of its star players. That experience was the subject of the Warner Bros. feature film, "The Replacements," that starred Keanu Reeves and Gene Hackman.[citation needed]
Elevated to General Manager in 1989, Casserly sustained the Redskins' history of uncovering high-quality players in the later rounds of the draft.[citation needed] He used a fifth-round draft pick in 1990 to select Southwest Louisiana quarterback Brian Mitchell. Washington then converted Mitchell into a running back/kick returner, where he later joined Jim Brown as the only players in NFL history to lead the league in combined net yards four times. In 1996, Casserly plucked Auburn University running back Stephen Davis in the fourth round. Davis paced the NFC in rushing in 1999 with 1,450 yards. Casserly also drafted future Pro Bowlers in wide receiver Keenan McCardell (12th round, 1991) and tight end Frank Wycheck (sixth round, 1993). During the 1999 off-season, Casserly acquired veteran quarterback Brad Johnson who responded with a Pro Bowl season.
In 1999, Sports Illustrated, Pro Football Weekly, The Sporting News and USA Today named Casserly their NFL Executive of the Year at mid-season. On draft day in 1999, Casserly acquired all of the New Orleans Saints 1999 selections, plus their first and third-round picks in 2000 by swapping the Redskins' fifth selection in the first round for the Saints' 12th choice. He still managed to obtain the player that Washington wanted, selecting future Pro Bowl cornerback Champ Bailey.
Not all of Casserly's picks were good ones. A number of his selections were poor, with the most notable example being Heath Shuler, who was selected with the third overall pick in the 1994 NFL draft. Shuler had a fruitless NFL career. In 2008, ESPN rated Shuler the 4th biggest NFL Draft bust of all time.[2]
Casserly's Redskins career ended after the 1999 season when he was fired by team owner Dan Snyder.[3]
[edit] Houston Texans
After leaving the Redskins, Casserly took on the General Manager role for the expansion Houston Texans. With the franchise's first four selections in the 2002 NFL Draft, Casserly drafted David Carr, Jabar Gaffney, Chester Pitts, and Fred Weary.
During Casserly's remaining drafts for the Texans, (2003 through 2006), the Texans drafted five eventual Pro-Bowlers: Andre Johnson (WR, 2003), Jerome Mathis (KR, 2005), DeMeco Ryans (LB, 2006), Mario Williams (DE, 2006) and Owen Daniels (TE 2006). Ryans was also named the NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year in 2006. Mario Williams, who many criticized for being the #1 overall pick in 2006 (behind rookie standouts Reggie Bush and Vince Young), made the Pro Bowl in the 2008 season.
During Casserly's tenure as GM, the Texans went 4–12 in their inaugural season of 2002, then improved to 5–11 in 2003 and 7–9 in 2004 before slumping to a disappointing 2–14 record in 2005. During the 2005 season, while the Texans were 1–12, team owner Bob McNair hired former NFL coach Dan Reeves to serve as a consultant to help McNair evaluate his team.[4] After the end of the season, head coach Dom Capers was fired by McNair.[5] Casserly was criticized for a number of personnel moves, including trading second and third round picks to the Oakland Raiders for Phillip Buchanon in 2005.[6] Buchanon was a poor player for the Texans in 2005, and was released by the team after the first four games of the 2006 season.[7] In a public interview, McNair criticized the trade for Buchanon, saying that the front office had not done its homework.[8]
Subsequent to the Texans' 2006 NFL Draft and after the Texans' 2-14 season, Casserly left the organization on June 1, 2006. Casserly sought a job in the National Football League front office, but was passed over for the job.[9] He was succeeded as General Manager by Rick Smith. Casserly's work with the Texans has been subject to much criticism
-
RUMOR: On Sportstalk ClevelandCharlie Casserly MAY be hired as the new Cleveland Browns President & GM within the next 72 hours. Nothing is confirmed but that's what we are hearing - STORY DEVELOPING
Thought i would post this rumor for people.
-
Let's get to know our schmeckle'sAdaM said:
My dad is marrying a Steeler fan this year...Personally I could not get past that. There is NO WAY IN HELL I would even let myself get close enough to a Steeler fan to fall in love.
I use to say that as well. Sometimes there are things you can't control ROFL
-
Let's get to know our schmeckle'sMy Name is Nathan (31 years old ) and I am Married to my wonderful wife Melissa. We both love football and Sundays can get really bad between us since she is a Steelers Fan ( yes I know I married the enemy, GOD help me ). It sucks I haven't gotten to rub anything in her face for the past 9 years and sitting there with her as the Steelers win the Superbowl was like a knife going in slowly, but it sure makes football fun in the house. SO tired of getting phone calls of her brother in PA rubbing in ever Steelers win over Browns or winning the Superbowl. Hopefully over the next year or 2 I will get the chance to have a reason to call him and rub something in his face, or maybe mail him some dog bones.
-
Who is Allen Patrick?AdaM said:
I think it was because he was behind Peterson initially, then he split carries his last 2 years. He was also a safety from a community college who transfered into Oklahoma and was converted to RB. Maybe he's viewed as somewhat of a project because of this. Or maybe we have another Cribbs.After watching the video I posted I am wondering the same thing, is it possible he has been over looked this whole time and we have another hidden gem. I hope they give him a chance with Harrison, would love to see what this kid has
-
Wanted to say hiChello!!
Quick: Choose Quinn or Anderson and join the endless debate!
Haha. Kidding.
but seriously...prepare to be annoyed by it.
lol like I said I have been reading the forums for a while now and love seeing Lum and everyone else bash each other.
Honestly whoever helps the Browns win is the quarter back I choose, Browns winning is all that is important. I will say this....we NEED to see what we have in Quinn. Putting all stats and statics aside after watching both quarterbacks this past season, I saw a leadership ability in Quinn that I do NOT see in DA.
-
Who is Allen Patrick?After reading more about his guy and watching more video on him he looks really impressive. Here is a highlight video of his I found. Looks pretty impressive.
Sorry couldn't find the video on Youtube to embed it.
-
Wanted to say hiHello everyone, this is my first post on the forums but I have been reading the forums for a long time. I just wanted to give a shout out to all my fellow Browns fans.