Do want to add, that Pettine guy outta NYJ would look pretty good about now. And go figure, Marrone with the hire. With the Kelly hire today, go figure it's Marrone who hired him on in BUF. Not sure how seriously they were considering him, but gotta wonder if we'd made a/the hire when he (Pettine) was still on the market...nah, can't think that way. I was just looking for an exact quote of his (and after having posted that prev. reply), but I like the guy...the gist of it is part of my last post: "You fit the scheme to the personnel you have, you can't/don't(?) try and fit the players to the scheme"
BuckeyeKeel
Posts
-
Coordinators -
CoordinatorsHonestly, I don't really care at this point. I just know it damn well better work.
As the HC search continued after the Chip Kelly saga, with all the offensive-minded big(ger) names coming out...I REALLY believed they sought to upgrade the Offensive x from the OC-to-HC Shurmer (then Shurm/Childress)...but one who would be willing to retain Dick Jauron at DC. The only guy (known) to be looked at NOT of that nature was Zimmer, and he was late in the process. Haslam's tenure saw him attend too many games where ?able play-calling and decision making cost us games. I can think of a few, and recall a look of near-disgust from the box at one (hard to say w/ so many to choose from...DAL, IND come to mind)
Bottom line, Shurmer failed in spectacular fashion to convince the new boss he deserved to stay on. I can understand Shurmer, and with him Chilly...and I am quite pleased with the Chud/Norv hires. My pleasantly shocked reaction to the news, 4m after put on twitter, was shot to hell by nights end w/ the report that "will change to 3-4" ...
WTF!?!
You mean to tell me, of all the names looked at...you pull out a shocker like Chud, and he's wanting a 3-4?!? So not only is the scheme taking precedence of the personnel, the decision is made before even considering what you're working with? And how ironic, the addition of Norv is broken almost immediately...yet the DC tbd!?! Yes, Chud+Norv is nice. But what won't be nice is when they're gone in 2 years because our D couldn't keep'em in enough games, while taking shape in the (unnecessary) transition.
BTW, sorry to lump Shurmer in there...first post, been fuming over the Jauron gone/3-4 thing for days. FWIW, as a TB resident and Bucs fan, I think Raheem could be a great hire. His Redskins unit was looking pretty dang stout @ season's end...and that was working w/out 2 of his best front 7 guys (Orakpo and Kerrigan), esp. with that wretched secondary. He is a "player's coach" they said down here...but the guys loved Jauron too. I will save any further ranting for the "3-4" topic/post down the board. Like I said...if this is (as I believe) all a result of Lerner selling/Haslam buying--hard pressed to believe Lerner would've fired Shurmer--JUST GET IT RIGHT.