Derrick Morgan doesn't seem to be a sexy enough pick for #7 overall. I gotta do more research on Earl Thomas as he is starting to surface everywhere and to make a comment about scouts possibly liking him even more than Berry is interesting.
C.Bridges
Posts
-
The Browns will draft DEFENSE in the first round -
New NFL Draft 3-day format could mean more TradesAccording to the draft value chart, the Browns' three picks in the third round equal 532 points. That's the equivalent of the fifth pick in the second round (No. 37 overall).
That is huge. I doubt we use all three, but packaging two of them to move into the mid-second round to get a guy we have our sights on would be of good use.
-
WR???I'm not a Holt "fag", but I would be happy as hell with just about any one of those veteran receivers listed on the opening post of this thread.
-
WR???Not disagreeing with you Bridges, but did you ever tell everyone why you are an expert on WRs? Do you pick a lot of sleeper WRs in your fantasy league? Are you the WR coach for a local HS team? Share your expertise with us.
Haha, figure of speech I guess. I don't think I said I am an expert, I believe I said that I know WR's. With that said, I am not a big fan of Momass. He had one good game last year where he was under the radar and had a breakout (game). I guess I'm not a fan of Robo either and never was when he was playing in the horseshoe either.
Mark me down as one NOT optimistic about our young receiving core. In fact, I don't think we have a receiving core in which to build around.
-
WR???Zombo said:
What does that even mean?So we were 1-6 in games where he caught more than one, and/or none?
You've done a lot of work here, Todd, let me ask you ... in all of this extrapulation did you find a TD for Torry yet?
Zombo
"TDs for Torry" may replace "Toys for Tots" as the hot new charity...
Torry Holt is 7th among active players in Scoring Receptions with 74 Receiving TD's. He is the same age as Hines Ward and trails him by only 4 career receiving TD's despite playing for down teams and changing teams in recent years. I suppose you wouldn't take Hines Ward either? Ward finally caught and suprassed Holt last season, even though Ward has been in the league one year longer and played in 13 more games.
-
WR???Zombo said:
I thought you wanted Holt ... he caught ZERO TD's.Zombo
--Maybe you are better at defense ... wasn't it great last year how Hank Poteat "mentored" Wright and McDonald?
Big deal, Momass scored against the Lions and the Raiders. I think Shaun Rogers could have beaten the Lions deep that day.
A veteran brings consistency to the table. Torry Holt had 10 games where he caught 3 or more passes. Momass only had 4 games that he caught 3 or more passes. Holt had 30+ yards in 11 games. Momass had 30+ yards in only 6 games.
In 2 games last year, Momass had 13 receptions for 263 yards.
In the other 13 games, he had only 21 receptions for 361 yards.
That is about as inconsistient as it gets. He could use a good mentor to teach him how to be a pro and strap it on each Sunday.
The Browns were 4-5 in games where Momass only had one catch. But hey, he scored in a loss to the Raiders, a loss to the Lions and grabbed a meaningless score verse San Diego.
How many INT's were thrown in trying to target him? I'd say at least five, maybe more.
-
WR???Zombo said:
TRANSLATION: I got waxed on the Torry Holt argument when Holmgren said there was no way it would happen ... but since Momass mentioned "older guys" I can pretend I saved face because I think I'm still on that sissy board whence I came.Zombo
Whatever dude! The comments from Momass about veterans being more crafty to make-up for lost speed nailed exactly what many of us here were trying to tell you. Yeah, let's bring in track stars like the Raiders do, that always works well.
Let the Ravens pick up Holt, like the Bengals did in bringing in 10yr vet Laveranues Coles last season, where he caught more TD's than Massaquoi, Stuckey, Cribbs, Furrey, Braylon & Robiskie did for us COMBINED.
-
Holmgren & Heckert teleconference with fansI couldnt agree more. We have a good young corp that needs to get on the same page as the QB simple as that. I dont think bringing in a flashy veteran is going to help any. I would like to see Fuerry resigned since it usually takes a year to learn the Offensive scheme.
I believe Fuerry wants to resign here but it is the Browns brass that isn't eager to jump to a deal. There has got to be something in the works. Maybe Kiper is right and we take Dez Bryant with the #7 overall.
-
WR???So, how do you link drafting a speedy receiver to holt?
Didn't they say....again....in the conference call that this all-important mentor at wr is not important in their minds? Is a vet mentor necessary at every single position?
Perhaps, mentors get overrated....
I linked Holt with Momass' comment of, "You watch some of the older guys play and they don’t have the abilities that they used to have, but they’re so smart and so sound and so technical that it makes up for all of that.”
I linked the speedy receiver with what others in this topic spoke of, which was the call for a speedy receiver.
Basically I mentioned them as two different things, such as you were "speedy" to jump to a conclusion but had you been more veteran like you may have possessed more "smarts" and been more "technically sound" and gotten it right the first time.
-
WR???I found stole this blurb from the wire:
"Browns wide receiver Mohamed Massaquoi(notes) is using the offseason conditioning program to get stronger. Massaquoi tied for the team lead with 34 catches last season.“(I’m) just trying to gain some weight and get a little bit faster, understand the game better,” he told Cleveland Browns.com. “You watch some of the older guys play and they don’t have the abilities that they used to have, but they’re so smart and so sound and so technical that it makes up for all of that.”
Team president Mike Holmgren said he likes the way Massaquoi played in 2009, but he wants to find a speedy receiver in the draft."
First of all it mentions that Momass even recognizes that veteran receivers that have lost their speed, make up for it by being smart and "so technical" that it makes up for it.
Secondly, it hints at Holmgren seeking that speedy receiver that some here have noted.
So, it is safe to say that EVERYONE is right in this thread.
Peace-out!!!
-
Zombo was rightThe forum I came from almost all had Quinn blinders on, glad to see that this place was a little more well connected.
-
McNabb headed to WashingtonDonovan McNabb trade affects Browns too
April 4, 9:55 PMCleveland Browns Examiner
Browns GM Tom Heckert will contend with his former team when the NFL Draft begins in three weeks.
Photo courtesy of the Cleveland Plain DealerDonovan McNabb is heading to the Nation's Capital.
The Washington Redskins acquired the six-time Pro Bowl quarterback from the Philadelphia Eagles for a second round draft pick in 2010 and a conditional fourth round pick in 2011.
The Eagles trade of McNabb to division rival Washington will directly impact the power structure of the NFC East.
It will also indirectly affect one team in the AFC North.
With the acquisition of the 37th overall pick and the 70th overall pick gained from Seattle last year, the Eagles now pick directly in front of the Cleveland Browns who sit at 38 and 71.
Considering Browns GM Tom Heckert spent the past six years running the draft in Philadelphia, so there is bound to be interesting interaction between the two clubs.
Making matters more interesting, Heckert brought the draft and scouting information with him from Philadelphia to Cleveland.
"I have the stuff that I've done this year," he admitted in a February press conference.
Such a situation presents a double-edged sword for the Browns.
On one hand, Cleveland should have an in-depth understanding of what Philadelphia may look to do with their picks. The Browns could move up or down according to whom they believe will be available when they pick in the second and third rounds.
At the same time, drafting behind a team with a similar board decreases the chance of a specific player falling to the Browns.
Consequentially, they may be forced to move ahead two slots at a cost which otherwise would not have had to be paid.
It remains to be seen whether the McNabb trade hurts or helps the Browns.
Like it or not, Cleveland and Philadelphia will be tied together come draft weekend - a weekend which just became that much more interesting.
Interesting article, but isn't this alway the case with the Browns? Either New England, the Jets, and now the Eagles are attached at our hip because of the revolving door at the helm.
-
Line Backer PositionChickenwang said:
The only people who know who Matt Roth is are Browns and Dolphin Fans. IF you mention his name to anyone else, you will get a blank stare. He's not that special, but yet this place here loves himI disagree, I remember him from his years at Iowa. Had forgotten about him after the 2005 draft, but remember liking him back then.
-
WR???Jerome Harrison would be serving as the director of youth activities at the recreation center of his home town of Kalamzoo, had it not been for the mentoring of Jamal Lewis.
Good point. Although Bernie didn't do a very good job with our QB corp last season, all three were ousted, in addition to himself.
-
Kiper Says Dez BryantI baited some tool on another forum into leaking this mock draft.
Kiper & McShay's Mock 4.0
--------------------------Kiper-----------------------McShay
1.Rams --------------Bradford ---------------------Bradford
2.Lions -----------------Suh --------------------------Suh
3.T.B G. --------------McCoy -----------------------G.McCoy
4.Was ----------------Okung ------------------------Okung
5.K.C ---------------Eric Berry --------------------Bryan Bulaga
6.Sea ------------Trent Williams ------------------Eric Berry
7.Cle ---------------Dez Bryant -------------------Dan Williams
8.Oak ------------Jimmy Clasuen ---------------Trent Williams
9.Buf --------------Bryan Bulaga ----------------Anthony Davis
10.Jac --------------C.J Spiller -------------------Earl Thomas
11.Den ------------Earl Thomas ---------------Rolando McClain
12.Mia ------------Dan Williams ----------------Derrick Morgan
13.49ers -----------Joe Haden -------------------Sergio Kindle
14.Sea ----------Derrick Morgan ------------------C.J Spiller
15.NYG ---------Rolando McClain ----------------Mike Iupati
16.Ten ---------Jason Pierre-Paul ------------Jason Pierre-Paul
17.49ers ---------Anthony Davis ---------------Jimmy Clausen
18.Pit ----------Maurkice Pouncer -----------Maurkice Pouncer
19.Atl ----------Brandon Graham ------------Brandon Graham
20.Hou -----------Kyle Wilson --------------------Joe Haden
21.Cin ---------Jermain Gresham ---------------Dez Bryant
22.N.E -----------Sergio Kindle ----------------Everson Griffin
23.G.B -------------Mike Iupati -----------------Charles Brown
24.Phi -----------Kareem Jackson ----------------Kyle Wilson
25.Bal ---------Demaryius Thomas ----------Demaryius Thomas
26.Ari ---------Sean Weatherspoon ----------Jermain Gresham
27.Dal -----------Charles Brown -----------------Taylor Mays
28.S.D -----------Ryan Mathews ---------------Terrence Cody
29.NYJ ----------Everson Griffen ----------------Jared Odrick
30.Min ------------Taylor Mays ----------------Kareem Jackson
31.Ind -------------Jared Orick ------------------Jerry Hughes
32.N.O------------Jerry Hughes --------------Sean Weatherspoon
Kiper: I've talked to people around the league about Dez Bryant, and I can tell you the notion that there are concerns about Bryant's character is blown out of proportion. Here the Browns get the best WR in the draft, a threat they really need, and a player that, in a football environment, is a workhorse and a producer. I think K.C. will also be looking hard at Bryant at No. 5, but will ultimately pass and allow the Browns to get him.
McShay: This would be a frustrating scenario for the Browns, who should be hoping Berry falls to them at this slot. RB C.J. Spiller would be a possibility but don't count out Williams, who appears to be a reach but will garner plenty of attention over the next few picks because he's the only legitimate first-round nose tackle in this class. Finding a long-term replacement for current NT Shaun Rogers is high on the priority list, and Rogers' recent run-in with the law might only increase the urgency.
-
LOL ..... what a pussy.What a girl. Nuff said. LOL.

Because he's worth it.... still laughing
What a tool! How embarrassing for Squeeler Nation.
-
WR???When the hell did we bring back Steptoe? I thought we canned his ass after he was talkin shit last year.
You didn't hear? Some Zombo-the-clown guy here is eager to see chumps like Steptoe struggle to get off the line of scrimmage, instead of bringing in a Vet to move the chains, mentor the younger guys on work ethic, and learn how to be a pro. He don't understand how a solid possession receiver actually creates more reps for guys like Momass to give up on extra plays.
-
WR???Zombo said:
How many washed-up receivers did Indy and New Orleans rely on last year?
Zombo
Does Jeremy Shockey count?
Do we have a pair of first round draft picks such as Reggie Wayne & Dallas Clark? Can we hit it out of the park with late rounders such as Colston & Pierre Garcon? Perhaps that part had something to do with the QB's?
Reggie Wayne was in his 9th season, I think Amani Toomer was about 40yrs old when the Giants won it. (I won't mention Plaxico Burress and ruin your re-tread reply)
I see no one on the Browns roster who mirrors any one of the above mentioned. No late rounders who stepped up, hell not even the pair of second rounders stepped up. Certainly no first rounders, so exactly how are we mimiking the Saints or Colts there?
Which P/K returner did the Colts line up wide?
-
WR???I know something about WR's and believe me, Torry Holt would be a great fit here.