@babernakle said:
Before you lose your Sheet let me explain. ? First what would be our first pick a qb and what would we be drafting the hope that the qb will develop. Well let's say Kirk cousins is a free agent because Washington is stupid. Kirk ranks third in qbs the past two years we know he's good and is proven. So they get Kirk. Now we trade number 1 too whom ever for maybe a 123maybe even a 4th or more pick so now we have our qb and can load the team with talent.
It is my knee-jerk reaction - I haven't looked at the evidence one way or the other - that GOOD teams can trade up or trade down. Good teams generally have good organizations and good organizations make good decisions.
Bad teams draft earlier but, somehow, stay bottom feeders, oftentimes because they 'are preyed upon' by good organizations. Multiple picks are great IF you can draft NFL-caliber players. One pick can be more than enough IF you can draft NFL caliber players.
If I were the Browns, I'd stay pat. They need players all over the map and, hopefully, they can find another Clay Matthews / Ozzie Newsome type of draft. They have plenty of picks this year and next (I believe). Chits - alone - can be worthless.
I know it was a different organization but the Browns passed up a goldmine in 1999 (the infamous Ditka trade) and, instead, stayed put to get one year out of Tim Couch.