Sounds delicious. No one in my house likes turkey except when it is thinly sliced breast meat from the deli for sandwiches. I am preparing a spiral sliced honey ham, a whole baking chicken with stuffing inside, stuffing, cranberry salad, mashed potatos with gravy, deviled eggs, green beans, an apple pie and a pumpkin pie. Also serving sugar free jello for those like myself who are diabetic and can not have a sugary dessert. I know it is not traditional but there is no point in making the traditional turkey meal when no one will eat much of it and we will throw out a lot of food. Hate to be wasteful. Especially in this economy.
A very Happy Thanksgiving All! May God Bless you today and always!
@ballpeen said:
With the day just around the corner, I was just wondering what ya'll were having for dinner.
Being just my wife and I this year I just wanted to hit one of the restaurants for a turkey spead of some sort, but she wanted to do the home deal....which means i cook since i always cook....I like it and she doesn't.
So, went out a few minutes ago and picked up the basics....small 10 lb turkey.
This year I am going to skip the smoker and all and just go for my basic oven bird.
I like to brine mine 24 hours before hand. The brine consists of 1 gal water, 2 cups salt, 2 cans apple juice concentrate, peppercorns, 3-4 bay leaves, and a cup of Jack Daniels. After brining, pat dry, then let dry further in the fridge,,,say overnight...so start brining on Tuesday evening, take out Wed evening, and ready to go on Thursday..
Before putting in oven. a light coating of oil, salt, pepper and layer 6-8 strips thick slice bacon as the finishing touch...bake like you normally would until done.
As for the rest of the stuff....pretty much standard fare you see on Thanksgiving table all across the land.
Anything you want to share? Some of the things you mention may light a spark in someone else and end up on their table as well. The next few days is when most of us start putting it all together.
Oh....on the turkey i will just stuff it with some celery stalks, maybe a carrot or two, and some herb sprigs,,,whatever is handy....just for flavoring...it gets discarded before carving.