I know this has been hashed and rehashed ad nauseum, but this whole Ratliff addition is interesting to say the least.
OK, so we are now told that Quinn was not available for trade during the draft. I believe that Quinn's value was at its highest last weekend, while Anderson's was at its lowest. And now we bring in Ratliff, who Mangini and Daboll really liked in NY. I have to imagine Ratliff will be the #2. However, if we wouldn't trade Quinn over the weekend for a potential #1 draft pick, it's clear that he's the starter and DA is odd man out, right? They could keep DA for a bit until a team becomes desperate d/t injury, and then we could try to snag a player out of the deal as opposed to a 2010 pick. All of this makes complete sense.
But, here is the interesting twist: Ratliff is more of a DA QB than a Quinn QB. So, I ask, what kind of offense will we be running?? Stretch the field, DA/Ratliff offense? I cannot imagine us trading Quinn later on, as I still feel the best chance was last weekend. Then again, how much stock should we be really putting into the whole "stretching the field' thing? I mean, Quinn is in the NFL, he has to be able to throw the long ball accurately. Not to mention, one would have to imagine that by sticking with the 'intelligent player" approach, Quinn is also favored. But, this Ratliff thing is very intriguing to say the least.
Also, if we keep both DA and Quinn, and Quinn starts, then we have close to $20 million wrapped up in 2 QB's.....$8 to DA, $11ish to Quinn after playing incentives, etc. If they do the "competition approach", then by naming a starter you devalue the appointed backup, especially if other teams got the chance to see one of them potentially suck in the pre-season.
All in all, I believe Quinn is in and DA will be traded when his stock goes back up.....ie- when a team loses their starter this spring/summer and becomes real desperate, hopefully before too many pre-season games to see DA crap the bed.