@vaportrail said:
We've made some key signings thus far, but I'm surprised that we haven't signed a CB yet. Even more, I've only heard rumors linking us to Munnerlyn (still unsigned) and Lewis (signed). I hope we make a play for Cason, but we shall see. Perhaps there's a chance we resign Sheldon Brown for cheap?
As such, I'm trying to get a sense of the new regime's direction and their plan for the draft.
Option 1: Dee Milliner. This guy might be really high on our list, but do we want to be paying 2 CBs top-10 pick money? If he falls to us, there's definitely a chance we take him. I don't feel he's BPA at 6 and would be more comfortable picking him if we sat 10-20. Fills a clear need.
Option 2: Draft a Linebacker. As of now, our starters are Sheard, DQJ, Gocong, Kruger. Robertson (for his ability in coverage) and Jackson will probably be the linebackers for the nickel package. Other than Robertson, none of the other linebackers (Fort, Johnson) really have a role in the defense other than being a backup and special teamer. We did also sign Quentin Groves from Arizona who had 4 sacks in 7 games, but I really don't know much about him. As for the draft, Ziggy Ansah, Dion Jordan, and maybe even Jarvis Jones (if we feel okay about his spinal cord) could arguably be the BPA. Our desperation for this position was eased with Kruger and Groves, but are any of the guys on our roster going to make QB's nervous? I'm not so sure.
Option 3: Chance Warmack. There is definitely a debate over how much weight positional value carries. Is drafting a guard at 6 a wise move? I'm not sure, but I would absolutely love it if this guy sat between Mack and JT. Our line was excellent in pass protection last year (top 5, I believe), but average to below-average in run blocking. Warmack is a pure mauler, and we need a guy that can just beat the shit out of people in the trenches. The line would be as beastly as it was in 2007 when we had Steinbach at that position. Remember the holes that they made for a Jamal Lewis that I wouldn't exactly describe as speedy. OL in the first round is never sexy, but it would fill a need, and he's going to be the best offensive player available.
Option 4: Geno Smith. It can be argued that Geno will be an upgrade over Weeden, and choosing him would continue the long standing Cleveland tradition of the QB carousel. His mobility would allow him to run the offense that Chud had in Carolina with Cam Newton. Geno has the potential to be a franchise QB, and I think it's clear that Weeden isn't the answer for Lombardi and Banner. If they want their own guy, Geno will be available to us barring a trade up from Buffalo or New York. It seems unlikely at this point, but definitely a consideration.
Option 5: Trade Down. If the Jets are going to jump the Bills, our pick is definitely in play. We'd miss out on elite talent, but this would also get us at least a pick in the 2nd round. It's hard to say the probability of this happening right now, but I'm guessing that Geno's hype will increase as the draft approaches.
Anything I missed?
Solid assessment in my opinion. The only thing I don't quite agree on is the blurb abt Dee Milliner. I'm not going to pretend that I'm a better talent evaluator than the browns front office, so ill just rationalize big picture. Since the new rookie pay scale was put in place last year, the price of the number 6 to the middle of the first round really isn't big that of a deal anymore, for example #6 pick last year makes on average $ 4 mill a year and #10 got $3 mill a year (Bills are at 8, Jets are at 10). So you really aren't paying a # 2 CB big money. The real money comes with his 2nd contract, and if he deserves big money I'm sure our FO will make the room if they like the value. I don't have any idea if Milliner is a top 10 talent, but if he is I have no problem picking him at 6. there's a great chance he won't be there at 6 and about a zero percent chance of him getting to 10 from what I've read.