Consulting what? Certainly not on how to score touchdowns or draw up running plays.
Here you go...he's an "Executive Adviser."
Consulting what? Certainly not on how to score touchdowns or draw up running plays.
Here you go...he's an "Executive Adviser."
dumb question, but does Jim Brown have official ties to the team currently?how would we know this?
He's been an official consultant for the last few years I believe.
Interview Under Way Today For Browns GM?
CLEVELAND - The day after the Browns lose miserably against the Ravens former Browns running back Jim Brown says he believes that the owner is interviewing someone today to fill the post.Brown was part of the 2009 Starlight Guardian Humanitarian Award program at Landerhaven.
Brown said he believes that Lerner was interviewing someone today to fill the shoes of Kokinis who recently exited the team.
He was also asked if Mike Holgrem was being interviewed.
He chuckled and said, "You said it, I didn't."
CLEVELAND -- Veteran wide receiver Drew Bennett, formerly of the Rams, will visit the Browns on Wednesday in hopes of signing with the team, a source close to the situation said.Bennett (6-5, 196) was originallly signed as a free agent with the Titans out UCLA in 2001 and spent six seasons in Tennessee. He led the team with 46 catches in 2006 and a 16.0-yard average. In 2004, he tied an NFL record with eight TDs in a three-game span.
Bennett signed with the Rams as a free agent in 2007, but never panned out there. He caught 33 passes for 375 yards and 3 TDs in '07 and broke his leg in the 2008 opener, missing the rest of the season.
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...nett_to_vi.html
I would keep an eye on Beanie for this pick.....maybe Maclin if he falls.
Is there a chat for today?
1. Detroit Lions - Matthew Stafford
2. St. Louis Rams - Jason Smith
3. Kansas City Chiefs - Tyson Jackson
4. Washington Redskins - Mark Sanchez
5. Cleveland Browns - Aaron Curry
6. Cincinnati Bengals - Eugene Monroe
7. Oaklan Raiders - Jeremy Maclin
8. Jacksonville Jaguars - Michael Crabtree
9. Green Bay Packers - BJ Raji
10. San Francisco 49ers - Andre Smith
From PFT
The plot continues to thicken with the Cleveland Browns’ wide receiver situation.University of Maryland wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey, the fastest player at the NFL Scouting Combine with a 4.30 time in the 40-yard dash, is scheduled to conduct a private workout for Browns team officials Friday morning in College Park, Md., according to Ken Murray of the Baltimore Sun.
The Browns have been shopping wide receiver Braylon Edwards, albeit unsuccessfuly thus far, and have also scheduled a workout Friday with Rutgers wide receiver Kenny Britt.
Also, offensive coordinator Brian Daboll and offensive quality control coach George McDonald worked out University of Georgia wide receiver Mohamed Massaquoi earlier this week. A league source told us the workout went very well.
Does all of this activity add up to Edwards being traded? If it’s all just an elaborate smokescreen, which I tend to doubt, then you have to give the Browns a little credit for giving their NFL competitors and the media something to think about.
A couple of things stand out to me. There has to be a reason we are working out so many of these mid-late 1st round guys. Maybe we're just doing our homework, but I think where there's smoke there's fire on this one. Do I believe the BE trade winds are at an impasse? Sounds logical to me, but what's the big deal? How many trades have been considered dead and then actually gotten worked out? One thing I know for sure is that we won't know for sure about a trade until either the #5 pick or the #29 pick.
That actually could be just the problem. The G-men may be saying "Look at how that trade worked out for the Cowboys".I know it's way to early for that kind of consideration but Williams sure didn't set the world on fire in Dallas.
One TD in 10 games and he avergaed about 2 receptions a game.
Very true...but it'll be a different situation this year. Remember they had this other guy TO who cried every time he didn't get the ball. Now, Roy Williams is the man there. Plus he came in at mid season and had to learn a whole new playbook.
I can understand the Giants thinking that...but if that's their only reason, I think they're being a bit short sighted.
Regardless...they may be having trouble agreeing to terms right now, and the Giants think they hold all the cards just because no one else is involved. But, what exactly are they going to do at the position. Replace Plaxico with Hakeem Nicks? Eli has already voiced his opinion and I think the players there want a veteran to replace Plaxico. I don't think they hold as many of the cards they think. Maybe we'll see who blinks first on draft day.
Aloysius said:
Nicks is considered a late 1st/early 2nd guy.
Aloy...you do a lot of scouting and know the prospects pretty well. Is there THAT big of a difference between Crabtree and Nicks? I'm just thinking we might be better off getting the top rated defensive guy at 5 and then Nicks at 29 if he's still there.
AdaM said:
When did the Jags become the Eagles?
lol...I was going to post the same exact thing.
Did I miss something? Mangini ripped on Crabtree?
Doesn't sound like Mangini directly ripped him, but there are reports that some "Browns officials" had less than stellar things to say about him regarding his diva attitude and such.
Did Jackson end up benching on his pro day? He didn't at the combine. No biggie. Just wondering what he did.
This from Gil Brandt reporting on LSU's pro day...he did 20 presses of 225.
One of the hottest prospects from LSU, DE Tyson Jackson (6-4 1/8, 296 pounds), did 20 repetitions of 225 pounds on the bench press and participated in position drills, but otherwise stood on his times from the NFL combine.
Aloysius said:
The problem with those guys is that Raji doesn't have the character of a top 5 pick and Jackson doesn't consistently play like one.
Can't argue with that. I think Curry is obviously the pick if he is there. But, if he's not I think it might be between Raji and Jackson.
Guys Rogers would move to end, plain and simple.Guarantee you he would be one happy fat man even at the thought of getting more snaps on the outside.
Thinking about a line of Robaire, Raji, Rogers and Wimpley/Hall/Sintim--English etc. is very intriguing.
However, if this guy is a nob like Crabtree and with his baggage, you probably have to cross him off the list.
BTW, I'm listening to these tools from WKNR bagging on Mangini for calling out Crabs for being a prima donna and overall jackass. The same guys who would whine and cry if he was drafted and turned into another Charles Rogers or Chad Johnson.
Yes, Rogers would move to DE. So, I just don't get why we don't keep Rogers at NT...and instead draft Tyson Jackson to be the 3-4 DE, given Raji's checkered past.
To me the scenario is starting to get a little clearer. For the second I'm just going to say that BQ stays and BE goes to the NYG for the 29 pick (among others.) It seems like that is the most likely thing to happen as of right now.
That gives us 5, 29, 36, and 50 on day 1.
The more I think about it I think Raji or Tyson Jackson is the pick at 5. Of course, if Curry is there he is the pick. Either way, we would take the highest rated Front 7 player on our board at #5.
Then at 29 and 36 you have 2 options. You can go WR at 29 to make sure you get Britt or Nicks. Or you can go OLB at 29 and get your pick of the litter out of Barwin, Sintim, English, etc. at.
Or...you could wait until 36 and hope that Nicks or Britt falls and likewise with the OLB slot.
Then at 50...well, I'm not really sure. You could go CB, S, C, RB....that's why I want as many 2nd's as possible.
Here's another scenario on the BE trade....would anyone rather have the Giants 2 2nd rounders as opposed to a 1 and 3? I had been thinking about that recently and it really makes a lot of sense. The 1 is basically a 2 and the 3 is basically a 4...so do you give up the 1 and take both 2nds? I think I would at least strongly consider it.
i still don't understand why we would do this. we have rodgers. would raji be moved to de?
Rogers would supposedly be moved to DE if Raji is the pick.
At this point from everything I've been reading around the web I would say Tyson Jackson is a more likely pick than Raji. I think both are under serious consideration, but I wouldn't be surprised to see us take Jackson, depending on how 1-4 and the trade situation plays out.
CLEVELAND -- The Browns have all but crossed off Michael Crabtree as a candidate for the No. 5 overall pick, said a source.The Texas Tech receiver brought a diva attitude on his visit to the club facility last week and did not impress coach Eric Mangini and others, the source said. In fact, Crabtree was described by some in the building as "not nice." After Crabtree left, Mangini secured last-minute workouts with borderline first-round receivers Hakeem Nicks of North Carolina, Kenny Britt of Rutgers and Mohamed Massaquoi of Georgia.
* No, Derek Anderson did not have surgery on his left knee in the offseason. So why wouldn't Browns GM George Kokinis just admit it in his pre-draft press conference this week? It's a mandate from Mangini to not even acknowledge questions about surgeries. Mangini jumped all over Kokinis when Kokinis let it slip in an interview prior to the NFL combine in February that running back Jamal Lewis had routine arthroscopic surgery to "clean up" an ankle. Mangini does not even intend to speak the letters MRI if a player, in fact, has had the routine exam.
* Crabtree might not even be the first receiver taken in the draft. Seattle (fourth) and Cincinnati (sixth) are expected to fill greater needs on the offensive line. Oakland (seventh) is enamored with the speed of Missouri's Jeremy Maclin. Jacksonville (eighth) has been burned so many times by first-round receivers, they are gunshy to take another. It's quite possible that Alabama tackle Andre Smith, who turned off so many coaches at the NFL combine, will be taken ahead of Crabtree.
* Boston College defensive tackle B.J. Raji is back on the rise after reports of a positive drug test proved false. He's very much in the mix with the Browns at No. 5. Drafting Raji might result in more four-man fronts for the Browns. Also, Shaun Rogers would move to right end in the base 3-4 front. If the Browns pass him up, Raji is not expected to get past Jacksonville at No. 8 or Green Bay, for sure, at No. 9.
* New Orleans sees Ohio State's Malcolm Jenkins as a free safety and is expected to take him at No. 14.
* The first USC linebacker will go to Houston at No. 15. But which one? Either Brian Cushing or Clay Matthews, but not Rey Maualuga.
@shepwrite said:
Nicely done as usual, Alo. You are seriously Da Man.I think the chances of the Browns taking Orapko are about zero.
I think it's Crabtree, Sanchez, or Curry. One has to be there. Just simple math.
Has to be one of the 3. For about a day or two I thought we might have the chance to trade out and pick up some extra picks. I can't really see that happening now, but I won't rule it out. If we pick Crabtree, I would tend to think BE would be traded shortly after or have already been traded.
The tough choice is this....what if Curry and Crabtree happen to be on the board (extremely unlikely, but stranger things have happened) and you have a trade worked out with NYG depending on who's there at 5? Curry is your top rated player...do you take him or draft Crabtree out of need following a BE trade?