Well, it was a close game as I knew it would be. We came out on top but you played well enough to win. Our offense was all over the place. Terrible in the Red zone.
Hope things go better for you down the road. Good luck.
Well, it was a close game as I knew it would be. We came out on top but you played well enough to win. Our offense was all over the place. Terrible in the Red zone.
Hope things go better for you down the road. Good luck.
I appreciate the insight on the Browns you've given me. Here is to a great game with no injuries.
I'll check back in after the game either way.
Homotron said:
LB and DL? What planet do you live on? You lose out in both areas and a completely healthy Turner is also better than Hillis. You also say Probably QB? I don't love Matt Ryan but he's a HELL OF A LOT better than anything on the Browns roster. The Browns win on the o-line, lose everywhere else. Period.
I'm not thinking Turner is the better of the two, he just doesn't have the same burst of 08. Hillis is getting a full yard more per carry. I think most of our base would agree that Snelling is our best back right now.
I don't have to take your word, and I don't have to take ESPN's word. Hillis and Harrison and Vickers together may indeed be better than Turner. Hillis is in the Top 10 in rushing and TDs, Turner is not. Harrison had a game just late last year where he gained 286 yards. I know no Falcon has ever done that. I know that Falcons have a pretty good fullback but I don't think anyone clears a path like Vickers does. No, I don't buy that the Falcons running game is better.And I certainly don't buy that their OLine is better. And it is not just Thomas, it is Steinbach and Mack, and the other two are coming along as well.
For the DL, LBs, and DBs I am going to need some more data before I would just hand that edge to the Falcons
.
I agree with taking anybodies word on anything. Hillis and Harrison have a combined 407 yrds while Turner and Snelling have 507 yrds. I haven't watched Vickers so I won't debate the FBs. The OL IMHO probably goes to the Browns. We do a good job in the run but pass protection has been sketchy at times.
LOL...sorry i came to this.....they always show up on our boards and talk chit...and low and behold their here to....lol....they are like a virus ..you catch from that girl at the bus station..cant get rid of it..lol
Maybe you should leave the the girls at the bus station alone...just a thought. 
I don't know much about the Browns, but I do know a little about the Falcons. Here are (imho) the Falcons' strengths and weaknesses. How do they stack up against the Browns?Defense:
The Falcons are a Tampa-2 defense. Undersized 4-3 defense line, fast linebackers, big physical DBs.
The Falcons d-line is weak against the power run up the middle because of the size of their DTs. They rotate their DTs a lot, consequently they are fresher in the 4th quarter than most d-lines.
The Falcons pass rush is mediocre. DE Abraham though is a holy terror when he is on. The jury is still out on whether he is back to form this year.
The Falcons have been blitzing a lot this year (much more than last year). It isn't unusual to see the Falcons drop a DE into pass coverage and blitz a linebacker.
Linebackers are the strength of the defense. LB Weatherspoon was drafted for his speed and ability to cover TEs and RBs out of the backfield (think Saints here), and he has been everything the Falcons hoped for. ILB Lofton is very, very, very good (and underated). I've heard at least one commentator say he was the best middle linebacker against the run in the league (he is avg against the pass, imho). He is the leading tacker on the team. Very active and always seems to be around the play. You're going to have to account for Lofton if you plan on running on the Falcons.
The Falcons DBs sucked last year; there's no other way to put it. They don't suck this year. They are a long way from great, but they are also a long way from sucks. The Falcons seriously upgraded the defensive backfield this year by adding Dunta Robinson and getting back a starting safety that was injured in preseason last year (they also replaced their DB coach with a guy that actually knows what he is doing). The reason the Falcons are blitzing more this year is they have more confidence in the DBs this year than they did last year. They are one of the more physical defensive backfields. They are also leading the league in interceptions.
If Jake D. is the QB, I expect the Falcons to blitz a lot, as that was effective against him at Carolina.
Offense:
The Falcons run what could be called a Steelers power offense. The Falcons OC, Mike Mularky, was the Steelers OC for a long time. If you remember what the Steelers offense was when Mularkey was OC, you know what to expect out of the Falcons. It is a 50/50 balance between passing and power running.
Blitzing QB Ryan doesn't work. He is one of the better QBs in the league at picking up the blitz and dumping the ball off to TE Gonzo, a RB out of the backfield, or whoever the hot read is.
What does work is "coverage sacks". The Falcons o-line is built for run blocking, not pass blocking. The Falcons offense relys on Ryan making quick reads and getting the ball off quickly (which Ryan is good at). If you can generate a pass rush with your front line, while maintaining coverage on the receivers (thus forcing Ryan to stay in the pocket longer than he wants) you have a good chance of getting to Ryan.
Ryan has not been as good against 3-4 defenses as 4-3 defenses.
The Falcons o-line is physical and good at run blocking. They also have a reputation for playing dirty. Dahl particularly. At least twice this year they have gotten into the heads of the other team. As I said, they are not a good pass blocking group. Ryan make them look better than they are, because he is very good at making quick reads and getting rid of the ball quickly. The key to "putting pressure" on Ryan isn't bringing the house, it is making him stay in the pocket longer than he wants. He will make a mistake and try and force something if it takes him too long to find an open receiver.
You probably know about Turner, but the guy you should focus on is Snelling. Snelling has really come into his own this year, giving the Falcons a solid rotation of power backs (consequently they are both fresh in the 4th quarter, which allowed the Falcons to grind down the Saints and 49ers late in the game). Snelling isn't great at anything, but he is outstanding at everything--power running, pass blocking, and receiving. The Falcons are using Snelling a lot on 3rd down, because he gives Ryan a passing option out of the backfield.
Interesting note about Snelling: he has epilepsy. Story here: http://www.everydayhealth.com/epilepsy/jas...ng/landing.aspx .
FB Muhelli is the best FB in the league--period (per Bryan Billick, former Ravens head coach). Physical run blocker, the Falcons have also been using him to carry the ball some and as a receiver out of the backfield.
From top to bottom, the Falcons receivers aren't that great (imho), but there are a couple of bright spots. TE Gonzolez and WR White. Gonzolez is as good as he ever was, and is a favorite target of Ryans. You'll have to account for Gonzo.
Falcons' fans argue about how good WR Roddy White really is, but one thing you can't argue--he has become a clutch, big play WR. When a big play is needed, White is the guy they go to (and he always seems to make it). Whe he stripped the ball after the interception last week (and saved the game for the Falcons) the reaction was "of course it was Roddy White that made the big play."
The Falcons will work to establish the running game even if it doesn't work early. Look for a lot of power runs up the middle, screens and dump off passes to the RBs, crossing routes to Gonzo, and sideline routes to White (the Falcons throw this a lot).
The Falcons get WR Jenkins back this week, it will be interesting to see how it affects the passing game. He has been a dissapointment to Falcons fans because he hasn't lived up to his 1st round draft status, but he does cause defenses problems. He is a tall, long-striding, physical receiver, with legit 4.3 speed. Not a lot of moves, but he can get behind DBs quickly. If the Browns try to sneak up their safeties to play the run, don't be surprised to see the Falcons send Jenkins on a straight post route for a quick score (which, btw, was Ryans 1st NFL pass--for a touchdown).
That's it. The Falcons have a good team, but I'm not sure they are as good as the hype they are getting. They have developed a tough, never say die attitue though. They will give you everything they've got.
Couple of things I forgot:
The Falcons run a no huddle offense often. Whenever a defense starts to get some momentum going, the Falcons will go to a no huddle offense to break the momentum. Ryan is comfortable running it.
The Falcons have an excellent punter, an average place kicker, and above average kick returner. Their punt & kickoff coverage has been awful. The Browns will have at least one big kick return/special teams play unless the Falcons improve in this area.
Just two quick corrections, I wouldn't call our DBs big. Grimes is about 4' tall though he is an athletic son of a gun.
If you see a screen pass I'll eat my hat. Our OC apparently does not have it in the playbook. We as fans beg for it but never comes.
A very good assesment otherwise.
I was noticing that your OL has only given up 4 sacks. Has the protection been that good or is it Wallace moving the out of the pocket? Hillis is getting a chunk per carry as well, I suspect this is a tough OL.
I doubt we will hear anything from them in that event.
Can't speak for anybody else but I'll drop you a congrats. Count on it.
Boo HOO...when will the Falcons win a superbowl...got to set your goals higher than the NFC south....Saints...Panthers ...and Bucs...all have been ...lol...and your team?...
We're getting back there my friend, Payton didn't make it in a season. Unlike you, I can recognize the fine program he has built. But you seem to forget the crap teams before Payton. Remember when your own fans wore bags on their heads?
Hold that trophy high, you deserved it...last season. Stop by and see me at Paytons Dome and I'll buy you a beer.
Towards are kicker.. but we own yall...had to give ya one for the media...8 and 2 under Payton.....that was yalls superbowl...lol....enjoy while you can...the Browns will end it soon..and we will finish yall off...that Dome yall have is Paytons...lol
Ah damn, my seasons over. Guess I'll go cry.
Hope that big head of yours doesn't explode when you lose the NFC South.
Wati till you beat them...lol
I don't get that? Since posting here in our next oppenents site I have been treated like a fellow football fan. Good info taken and given. I always go to the next teams site. Helps me better understand what I see on Sunday. Did the same before the NO game at the above mentioned site. Unlike this site I got so fed up with we are Champions I just gave up. We know your the champs. Congrats.
Thanks to Browns fans for the good discussion and hope that those of us here have added something to the mix before Sundays game!
Just stopping in to say goodluck against the Falqueens this week....please beat them they are our most hated rival....Check out our board sometime...we would love to have some of yall stop in to discuss our game..no trash talking..unless thats what you seek...we have a smack board for that...again goodluck!
Sounds like sour grapes to me.
Well, you F88dup and didn't beat the Steelers when you had the chance. That right there is enough for us to despise you!!
Believe me, many of us are still bitter about letting that one get away. Despise away.
I am not that familiar with the Falcons personell. But just on this who is being matched up:Fullback: Vickers vs. ? For the Falcons to have the better of it here, your FB better be the best #1 FB in the entire league.
Running backs: Hillis and Harrison vs. Michael Turner and ? Hillis as I am sure you have heard is a bone cruncher. All Harrison has done is have the 3rd best rushing day in the history of the NFL. So these guys CAN get the job done.
Turner has no doubt been a quality RB in the past. Don't know about your backups.
OLine: Browns left side of the OL doesn't take a back seat to anyone in football with Thomas, Steinbach, and Mack at center. The right side has not been as quality, but they are beginning to step up.
As far as LBs and DL, I would not profess to say that the Browns are anything but middle of the road, so if you argue the Falcons are better there I would not be prepared to counter argue that point.
The Browns special teams have been one of the best (hell, last year the best 3 players on the team may have been the kicker, the punter and the kick returner). I will say that Cribbs has not gotten loose yet. But he is a pent up Tiger and somebody soon is going to get clawed.
FB- Ovie Mughelli arguably the best in the game today.
RB- Turner and Snelling both bruisers our scatt back is out for the season.
WR&TE - White one of the best, Harry Douglas a few too many drops but we may get Jenkins back this week. Tony G is said to have lost a step, you tell me after Suday.
OL- Same group together for the last 3 years LT Sam Baker has been a little weak so far.
DL - Abe still bringing it, getting held a lot, Biermann coming from the other end. Middle is solid Jerry is still coming back from injury but getting better each game and Babs is a hoss.
LB- these guys are the strength of this D, fast, hard hitting.
DB - much improved over last year, Grimes and Robinson playing well at the corners with DeCoud and Moore over the top.
ST - I'm gonna give ya, our coverage has been horrible.
I think we have a better o-line, better fullback and tailbacks, better special teams, better linebackers and d-line, and BETTER COACHING. I expect it's going to be close.
YOu think? Based on what? I'm not being disrespectful but on paper it just doesn't add up that way. Take a look at our heads up rankings then repost. I am by no means saying that stats tell the whole story nor do I think we have this game in the bag. It will be a hard fought game, I think we win TOP and thus win the game by a narrow margin.
We have a physical team that will be playing a dome team outside in October. We should be favored by 3 points in this one. I have lived in Cleveland my whole life and I know what it's like to land at Hopkins under a cold grey sky. The Falcons are not going to want to play and we're gonna beat em up enough to squeak out a 6 to 10 point win this week,Like I have always said. You cannot game plan against getting the sh*t kicked outta ya.
I wouldn't count on this being the case. I do think this is the strongest run team we've faced yet. Should be a smash mouth game on both sides.