Wow. Congrats! Triceps and Delts are next level! ?
FATE
Posts
-
Latest bodybuilding contest... -
Fast Lane Sanders...I read the thread title and thought this was about fast-tracking Sanders to QB1 ?
-
Shedeur SandersShedeur has been a pleasant surprise. I expected more drama. I expected to hear "Coach Prime" quotes on a daily basis. I expected Shedeur to abrasive in some way, shape or form -- nuthin'. It's like a switch was flipped right after the slide. The card was turned in and the kid knew it was time to put his head down and work.
While that does nothing to predict his future success, it's been a pleasant surprise. I honestly thought we had "browned" ourselves into another side-show. -
Leroy Hoard is rightCertainly SOMEBODY musta' said SOMETHING.
The season before his shoulder injury season is when I'd officially given up on him. I saw him as a selfish player whose selfishness was hurting the team. The final straw was late in a game, late in the season, where we HAD to win to keep playoffs alive. On 3rd down he had rolled right and had Demetric Felton wide open on the sideline. A yard or 2 beyond the sticks. A simple pitch and catch for a 1st down. He looked right at Felton. But nope, it had to be about him, so he pulled it down and ran for it. Of course he didn't make it. We had to punt. We lost and didn't make the playoffs. - AND, if you remember, he pretty much refused to throw it to OBJ. OBJ could be wide open, but he wasn't even going to look his way. OBJ was a headlines grabber so Baker wasn't going to fuel his fire. Basically, the only time he'd throw it to him was when absolutely nobody was open...pretty much just to show that he throws to OBJ. Now, I think that most every QB at that time, if they had OBJ, would give him a quick look if the primary receiver was covered.
Having said all of that (again), he was constantly missing receivers high over the middle...because he's a shorter QB.
That's what I saw and what I thought about Baker. Obviously, the Browns brain-trust saw something that they wanted to move off from also. So it wasn't just me that wasn't overly happy with having Baker as the QB of the Browns.
You're confused about the timeline. The season before the injury we did make the playoffs. Baker played with a makeshift OL and about 38 different receivers because of COVID. The season before the injury Baker looked elite almost the entire year, punched the Steelers in the face to win a playoff game, and was one bogus call from beating Mahomes and stamping a ticket to the AFC Championship game.
-
Shut down "USAID". NOW. -
New tariffs will increase pricesAnd yet eggs are still $4.50 a dozen
If you told me we would have all of that done in Trump's first two weeks, I would have volunteered $10 a dozen for the whole year, and my family eats a lot of eggs.
-
Dawand Jones is a MANSQUATCH among Lil' boys!Besides weight and "health", what was the knock with this dude? Was it a nonchalant attitude, people wondered if he was serious about football? Can't remember for sure. I was surprised to see him go so late in the draft. When you have the intangibles, putting the rest of the tools in the bucket is just a matter of good coaching. Yes, I know, it often doesn't work out.
This dude is a physical freak. I'm amazed at how well he moves. Hopefully he soaks up coaching like a sponge, and realizes he's in a great place with Callahan and a solid team upfront. -
What/Who are you currently listening to?New QOTSA... ?
-
Your First Browns GamePerfect topic for this time of year! It only makes sense I didn't even see it when I logged on Tuesday morning. Anyway, the very first time my dad took me and my brother to a game in Cleveland was October 10th, 1976. Friends of our family had moved to Cleveland from Fairport, NY (a suburb of Rochester about 65 miles east of Buffalo). They got the tickets but warned us the only tickets available for the Browns-Steelers rivalry was in Standing Room Only, I kid you not. Nothing like the fresh smell of urine trickling out of the bathroom in the old stadium with occasional marijuana aromas. I can still hear my dad telling my older brother "that better not be coming from you" to the reply "CALM DOWN - you're too nervous!"
The trip took about 4.5 hours with about 1 or 2 stops to take a power squirt. Not bad at all when you consider a drive to NYC was at least 6 hours away. Anyway, as we were driving up near the lake Gordon Lightfoot's Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald was on the radio giving us a goose-bumps serenade. As a 12 year old kid, that's a first impression I've never forgotten.
The good stuff just kept on coming from there. As you all probably know - this was the day Turkey Jones sacked Terry Bradshaw with a body slam that would end Bradshaw's season as well as Pittsburgh's chance of winning that game. The Browns had to start a little known backup QB David Mays; because 3 weeks earlier Jack Lambert had a dirty hit out of bounds on the 175lb Brian Sipe. The Browns played extremely well up front on both sides of the ball that day. As good as Pittsburgh's offensive line was at the time - they couldn't block Jerry Sherk and Walter Johnson all day. On 1 rare occasion when Pittsburgh gave them the attention they commanded - Turkey Jones easily won his matchup on the edge to give Bradshaw the body slam that still appears in highlights promoting the rivalry today. JMO, that could be wrong, the defense wanted to remind Pittsburgh what dirty pool can look like when it's your turn to see how it feels. The Browns won that game 18-16 and it punctuated a great weekend in Cleveland. The Browns finished that 1976 season 9-5 under Forrest Gregg.
After that year, my dad started to take us to 1 game a year in Cleveland. Before all this, he installed an antenna that got us feeds for games from all over the place long before satellite TV. We saw the Browns play the Saints from a feed out of Ottawa commentated in French. Syracuse showed Cleveland a lot so they often televised them for any easy feed to my dad's setup while Rochester was showing Buffalo. We've also seen them play at Buffalo before and after 1976.
Football and the Browns were a family tradition I wouldn't trade for anything. I lost my dad to his 3rd different bout with cancer and my brother to an accident within 2 years of each other. Today I'm flying solo but feeling very fortunate I have a lot of you guys in here to share what happens with our favorite team from here on out. Keep on positing from the heart and that's all we need in here. Thanks!!!
Great story all-around, but I had no idea of the history surrounding the Turkey Jones annihilation! Good stuff. It means even more to me as a Steeler-hating Browns fan to know there was 'pay-back' involved. ?
-
Terry Pluto on Browns OTAsI agree with that, I don't think Myles is built that way.
The same way I don't think Nick Chubb is a leader. No one really talks about that, because he plays offense and the natural inclination is that the quarterback is the leader of the offense.
Agree with both of you. Although they both fit the 'lead by example' category; we definitely need more vocal leaders. Nick Chubb can't help but inspire with his work ethic and game day demeanor though. I remember after a Chubb TD when OBJ came running up... "I wanna score a TD!"
Chubb responded, while staring straight out at the field: "I wanna WIN."
We need someone on D with a personality that is not afraid to offer some constructive criticism without being too abrasive. I feel like Schwartz will demand that from his 'leaders' so we should be in much better shape this year. -
Your First Browns GameSeptember 10, 1978 ~ Browns vs Bengals
I was 12 and just started watching football the previous year. Going to a game seemed like a really big deal to me. I was with my soon-to-be step-dad... besides a couple of fishing trips, this was one of our first "bonding" experiences.
The game was pretty boring, because the Browns couldn't score. But still, the sights and sounds were awesome to a young kid.
"The Waterbug" (Greg Pruitt) was having a pretty big day; but we stayed in self-destruct mode and were down 10-0 late in the third. First a Cockroft FG going into the 4th. Then... Sipe to Rucker with a couple minutes left in the fourth.
I remember, after our TD, some fool marching up the aisle "I'll bet anybody $10 we lose... Anybody? 10 bucks... we're gonna blow it like we always do... anybody? anybody?" as he glared up and down each aisle. By this time I was blown away by the whole scene. People were getting pretty drunk and crazy. At the beginning of the 3rd some Hell's Angels showed up. There were three that I could see; walking up and down three aisles in a row scanning the crowd -- obviously looking for someone. I was scared lol. I had heard about them in the past; but now I was watching them stare people down, and everyone afraid to look back at them as they walked the aisles.
The game goes to OT and it all seemed rather easy, if not predestined. We win the toss and march straight down the field for a Cockroft FG to win. I remember being very excited that my first game went to OT. Couldn't wait to tell my friends I was there.
When we scored our TD, and then the FG in OT, and the old Muni erupted -- that was the moment I became a Browns fan for life. The passion and exuberance, people turning around with high fives... and how that flowed all the way out through the hollow walkways and parking lot. Excitement still echoing in my ears as we walked out of the stadium and saw the party atmosphere outside. Everybody that followed from our general vicinity was still making fun of the dude that had the nerve to think we would lose lol. "I'll bet you ten bucks we don't see that chump out here".
I'll never forget that day and that game... I'll also never forget walking into the bathroom as a 12 year old and seeing everyone pissing in a trough and some drunk guy pissing in a sink lmao.
That was game 2. We started the season 3-0 before losing to the Steelers 15-9 in OT. I had high hopes. We finished 8-8 (again) and I was well on my way to learning the pain and anguish of being a Browns fan.
-
~ ★ R.I.P. Jim Brown, 87 ★ ~RIP Goat.
Sleep well... when you wake, give Richard hell.
-
▪︎ ~ ? ~ Welcome NEW Browns Board Members ✨️?Hi, I'm Fate. I applied a while back and waited a few weeks for approval. I assume you did an extensive background check and nobody found the bodies in the trunk.
Browns fan since birth / for life. Favorite past player -- Eric Metcalf. Favorite current player -- Nick Chubb. Grew up in East Cleveland. Former (un)professional chef and longtime restaurant owner.
I love the Browns.I hate the Steelers... much more than the Ravens.
I love good restaurants, especially classic independents.I hate pretentious restaurants with inflated prices and small portions.
I'm cool with everybody... black, white, gay, trans, etc...But... I go by the pronouns "fuck off" and "do I look like a sex change?" And if "they" don't like it, "it" can kiss my ass. ?
I love craft beer, Tequila and Mezcal, especially Mezcal.I hate cheap bourbon.
I guess that's enough of an intro... You'll learn to either love or hate me in the threads. Thanks for having me. ?