Spurticus! Good to see you on here - it's Gaichon from Cockytalk. I'm actually a longtime Browns fan so the direction this Shaw saga is going is too good to be true.
Gamecock Frog
Posts
-
Shaw -
Connor Shaw working hardThat was my cue - really hope he makes the roster.
-
Connor ShawIf I go by only what I have personally seen, and not what someone else has told me, then I would pick Connor Shaw before Johhny Scramble. Now before some of you more "enthusiastic" JS zealots call me all sorts of names, (I'm sure you still will, the line forms in back) let me clarify. I, in my entire life, have only seen 1 JS game, and in that game, he didn't impress me in any way, shape or form. I have also seen the exact same amount of Connor Shaw as well, and in that game, he looked like the next Joe Montana and Brett Favre all rolled into one.
I've seen all of Shaw's games and the majority of JFFs and couldn't agree more. Of course, that'll be discredited since I'm an obvious homer. JFF's flash gets him the nod, that's it - nothing else.
-
Memorial Day WeekendAll the brothers I've watched go over the last 17 years. Rest easy. Semper FI.
-
New Browns Fans Introduce YourselvesThe only places worth going in SC are on the coast.
Upstate is garbage. It's hot, humid and miserable in the summer and there's very little breeze. Columbia is dirty, there's nothing ever going on, and it seemingly takes four hours to drive to anywhere from Columbia.
Clemson, however, is by far the worst. It's a cow pasture with a school plopped on it.
NC coast is much better than SC coast and that's coming from a South Carolinian.
I grew up in upstate SC, of course went to school in Columbia and prefer either over Charleston - by a mile. Whatever floats your boat, though.
As for Clemson, I don't know where to began.
DieHard - spent a nice relaxing summer at Parris Island, myself. When were you there?
-
New Browns Fans Introduce YourselvesThinking of moving to either Wilmington area or Charleston in a couple years.
You and everyone else from the midwest. FWIW...I've lived in Wilmington and prefer it over Charleston.
-
Connor Shaw -
New Browns Fans Introduce YourselvesHere goes...
Growing up in rural SC, there were basically two games on each Sunday - an AFC game and an NFC game (mid-80s when I really started watching). The NFC game was ALWAYS the Redskins. There are still several generations in the South that are diehard 'skins (Falcons were horrible and always blacked-out). The AFC game at that time tended to be the Browns. Loved the unis and even though I hated Kevin Mack (since he's a Clemson guy) I gravitated to the Browns.
Fast-forward to 2008 and as I'm leaving active-duty in the USMC, I got my first job in a round about way through Randy Lerner through some networking opportunities he had set up for transitioning Marines. Football ownership aside - I feel a sense of gratitude.
Also, I've got buddies that have done the flyovers at Brown's games and always say the fans are better to them in Cleveland than anywhere. Not surprised - served with lots of great guys from the area.
Fast-forward to 2012, I move to TX and open a business - the local Browns Backers chapter meets next door.
Things have just always lined-up that way and now my favorite college player (Shaw) is on the team, so I finally decided to get on the board and see what folks were saying.
-
Connor ShawNow we're talking. Plug-n-play...to a degree. I'm a Shaw homer all the way, but hope Hoyer is the starter.
-
Connor Shaw -
Connor ShawI should've made my name "Gamecock Frog who also happens to have been a Browns fan for 25 years" - maybe that would untangle some of these wadded-up panties.
Look, I watch games with the local Browns Backers, etc. on top of being a major Gamecock (and sorta TCU) homer. I've watched a boatload of Shaw and Manziel and other than the flashiness there are not a ton of differences in their games - I think that's all anyone is saying. Sure, if they were so similar Shaw would be a 1st rounder and JFF an UDFA - got it. No matter who it was the Browns needed a shot in the arm and a jersey selling player in this draft, period. Also happened to need a QB, so JFF makes sense. Shaw doesn't have a particularly strong arm and bird-dogs his primary receiver too much, but the guy will play in the NFL.
-
Connor ShawOf course being able to improvise is a good thing. Certainly would prefer to have it versus not. Problem is when its your primary attribute - sign of bigger weaknesses in your game.
-
Connor ShawI'll weigh-in with an unbiased opinion (seriously?).
Born and raised in SC, graduated from USC, been living in TX for a while (grad school, etc.) and I'm a long-time Browns fan (very long story).
We LOVE Shaw - no kidding, right? He's a team-first guy, never ever will have off-field issues, and he's a coach's son who's spent the last four years up Spurrier's ass as a film room junkie. Having JFF's every move make the news here in TX, I do not get the same impression, to say the least. Ah....but those aren't measurables, so you guys don't care.
So, let's talk measurables - starting with Shaw's superior numbers at the Combine. The same Combine where he had the sack to throw, unlike JFF. The win-loss record, td-int ratio, etc. all speaks for itself Oh, and here's a REAL big one. Shaw did it behind a very avg line - unlike JFF who did it with 1st Rd tackles protecting him. And let's not forget the jump balls JFF threw up to Mike Jones - those weren't exactly precision passes sometimes. I digress.
Furthermore, Shaw only really had one QB year in HS, he was a WR prior since his brother (who played at Georgia Tech) was the QB. Point is, though durability is definitely an issue, he's pretty athletic and can run (did I already mention he's faster than JFF?).
Now, all that said, does he improvise or make plays in the open field the way JFF does - definitely not. But, welcome to the NFL, young John Football, that isn't going to work here anyway.
Last point - I gathered my opinion from literally watching every game snap Shaw has taken and many, many of the same from Manziel. If you are basing your opinion off Mayock, Kiper, and McShay you're being terribly short-sighted.
May the best man win (which is Hoyer, in my opinion at this point). Go Browns!