How do you fans of the Browns want to see this year's draft and off season pan out?
I keep seeing mock drafts with the Browns taking a QB. Is that really the answer though? Is Jared Goff going to be the franchise's savior? I have my doubts personally. Not because of anything Goff beings to the table, but because there are not many QB's in the league who can elevate a team by themselves.
This isn't to say that the Browns do not have some nice pieces, but I'd like to look to my own Cincinnati Bengals for what I consider a superior option for the Browns. Rather than spending another 1st round pick on a QB.
in the 2011 NFL Draft, the Cincinnati Bengals selected AJ Green 4th overall, and waited until the 2nd round to select Andy Dalton as their plan for QB. Palmer wasn't coming back. We could have panicked and reached for someone like Ponder (like the Vikings), but we stuck to a plan. Get a solid, accurate, smart QB and build an offense around him. Coupled with a good defense that flashes signs of greatness, and the Bengals have been to the playoffs every year since.
The interesting thing for the Browns is that they actually are doing better at QB than the Bengals were prior to selecting Dalton. Palmer was gone, and we had nothing else beyond him. Austin Davis and Johnny Manziel are two young QBs who have shown flashes. Maybe they won't be elite, but I argue they do not have to be.
Next year the Browns get back Josh Gordon. Now, to rely on him would be a stretch, so I would still draft like he isn't there, but, that doesn't mean he won't have an impact in 2016. When on the field, he is an amazing talent.
With all of this said, how do the Browns accomplish what Cincinnati has seemingly done with Dalton and the offense being built around him while he has improved?
Is there a Stud WR worth taking in the early first round? Is there a Giovanni Benard or Jeremy Hill in the 2nd round that the Browns can grab? Personally I think a satellite back like Bernard to dump passes off to would do wonders for the Browns offense. Especially if Gordon can stretch the field,
Here is my admittedly amateur guess at what the Browns should look to do this year in the Draft in the first couple rounds.
Keep both Manziel and Davis. McCown is probably done.
This pains me to say it but... Hire Hue Jackson. Stick with him. Turning around a franchise won't be overnight, but I think he can do it. Especially on offense.
Round 1. Try to trade back and take Laquan Treadwell, WR Ole Miss. He is physical and can make tough catches. His injury in 2014 may be a concern, but he has appeared to make a full recovery. Joey Bosa would be considered, and he is a great talent. However, so is JJ Watt. Look at the Texans. Don't be the Texans. Build your Offense. Not saying to neglect the defense, but Offense should be number 1 priority with young QBs and their development.
Round 2. This is where the Browns have it a little easier than the Bengals. You don't have to find your "Andy Dalton" here. Maybe you can get back in the first to get Ezekiel Elliot, RB Ohio State? Assuming he goes in the bottom half of the 1st round. He won't be the Satellite back I described above, but there isn't anyone available like that without being a massive reach. I normally am reluctant to suggest taking Ohio State guys, they never seem to pan out for the Bengals. Silly reason I know, but it's all I got. Still, the guy flat out dominated, even when he was game-planned for. I wouldn't go to crazy to trade up to get him, but if he drops past 19-20, it probably should be considered.
After that you probably address Defense and Line Depth. You guys would know better than I though what your most pressing needs are. Still a lot of time obviously, and a lot can change between now and then.
Just thought I would throw it out there. It could be a really bad idea, but it's something to discuss. I know it sucks to talk about the draft in December, I lived through the 90s after all...