It's completely out of character well kinda but I love this!
WSS
You've got a cover for this summer.
It's completely out of character well kinda but I love this!
WSS
You've got a cover for this summer.
I guess I wasn't clear.
I'm aware what mtv has become.
In the earlier days and popularity of music video they were the only game in town.
That's what I was talking about.
it's hard to pinpoint any 1 of the many many great rock songs the stones have had.
Gimme shelter sympathy for the devil wild horses .... I think my favorite album is beggars banquet.
( By the way did you mean exile on main street or the japanese pop band?)
WSS
Ha. I will happily admit I'm unfamiliar with the Japanese rock music scene. Actually, the Japanese guy who lives next door to me has a band, and when they practice into the wee hours I frequently come close to killing him.
I'm just saying. Some languages weren't meant to be sung.
But MTV doesn't show videos anymore. It's not even about music. It's just teens and 20-somethings with personality disorders trying to find a threesome.
YouTube/Vevo/Itunes are the only place to find videos now.
It's okay. It's a mostly stupid art form anyway.
Do you have a favorite Stones song? I'd probably go Tumbling Dice, but I'd have to think about it.
http://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_albums70s.html
So those of us in our fifty's probably have a decent recollection of the seventy's.
Most of those look damned important to me in 1 way or another.
I wonder if the eighty's ninety's and 2000 list will look that way to me.
WSS
Exile would be right up there for me too.
But you're right. This is the heyday. The 80s were an awful decade for music. Just awful. The 90s were much better, but probably not your cup of tea.
I'm looking forward to the Bruins game too. Not a huge hockey fan but my son, Jack, is. Watching sports with him these days is more fun than the sports on TV, it seems.
In a few short months he heads to Storrs (UCONN) so I like to take advantage of moments like tonight's game.
"Cat's in the Cradle" is a song that hurts to listen to these days.
hey, at least it's in-state tuition.
Ha. I'm about to go to a bar and watch the Bruins game at this dive where they have PBR on tap, which you don't find many places.
You could throw your favorite beers in there, too, if you like. I'd name one for taste, and you favorite when you're having more than one or two.
My favorite for a night of drinking: Michelob. No one drinks it anymore, but I think it's great. I'd put Labatt's Blue and Dos Equis in there as well.
Favorite beer: Boont Amber Ale from Anderson Valley Brewing Co. Spectacular, especially if you can find it on tap.
I think that's probably generational.
I was a little older so I wasn't really swept up in to the hard rock of the seventies.
I never really got zep or floyd.
I realize many of those bands are extremely important.
Just right now I'm finishing up a book about 1970 and simon and garfunkel, james taylor, the beatles, and c s n y.
Interesting stuff, if not earth shattering.
WSS
Physical Graffiti still holds up against anyone who has come since. And the variety in there is pretty amazing.
I like the Master of the Puppets nod from the new guy. That'd be up there for me. I don't suspect you're a fan, but that was a transitional album.
For 90s I'd probably go with OK Computer or Achtung Baby. I think U2 has slipped in a really big way with these last 3-4 albums, but Achtung Baby is just incredible front to back.
I'd have to think about the 2000s. The Rising comes to mind.
Really tough to filter everything down like that but...
60s Sargent Pepper
70s Desperado
80s Imperial Bedroom
90s Painted from Memory
I'll have to think about the next 2 decades....
WSS
I didn't figure you for such an Elvis fan.
I'd have Physical Graffiti for the 70s, I think. Might agree on Sgt. Pepper's.
Here'd be one of mine
80s: Synchronicity - The Police
Steve, tell me what you think is the best album from the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and since the start of the century.
You all can chime in as well.
And don't move this thread, T. No one cares but you.
I understand what you are trying to get at, but that's not how it works...
I tend to think John is on to something here. Four-hour organic chem labs have a way of weeding out the less-than-serious.
Oh, you're much better off where you are. Especially now.
I wouldn't say it's dying. It's changing, and slower to adapt to the age of the internet than most career paths.
Eh, I'd like to think so, but the model is almost unworkable, and they can't find one that does. It's getting pretty hard to send someone like Dana Priest off for 5-6 months to nail down a story on, say, the post-9/11 surveillance state. But that's what journalism often is.
Every paper is shrinking staff, closing bureaus, cutting local beat reporters. It's a real problem. We can catch politicians when they stick their dick somewhere they're not supposed to, but just about anything else is a lot easier to get away with.
Poli Sci? No wonder you know so little about politics compared to Cal
It was an "American government" major. Also an econ major. The recommended you do both. As one professor said at the outset, "Studying government is just studying economics done poorly." Ain't that the truth.
They also were proudly not "poli sci." They focused more on the actual workings of government than the academic exploration of it. Also did a bit of Japanese politics, which was really interesting when they were supposedly about to take over the world. Before they didn't. But when I was in college in the 90s everyone shit themselves about our coming Japanese overlords. It feels a lot like the China fervor today.
They squeaked me in at 13.
Sad to see journalism on there. Because it's dying.
Yep.
Sadly enough the boaters themselves have been displaced by the hordes of the youngsters getting off the jet express passenger ferry.
Oh well.
Take paradise, put up a parking lot.
Ironically the cleanup of lake erie has made it worse for fishermen.
They say walleye were easier to catch in murkier water.
WSS
It's the stuff you don't see that's the problem - agricultural and industrial and chemical runoff, pharmaceutical runoff. It's a growing problem. No one knows quite what to do about it either. All of these chemicals and pharmaceuticals are so prevalent now, and none of the treatment plants we use were designed to handle any of this. It goes straight from the land into the streams and into the rivers and into the bays and lakes. Or right from your urine into the sewer into the...
The Chesapeake Bay is the worst example, but The Great Lakes aren't far behind, Erie in particular. You should check out some of this stuff. Or don't because it'll ruin your day.
Erie's got bigger worries than plastic.
I looked up that Put-In-Bay spot once. That looks pretty damn nice. After all, few things better than putting an anchor down and getting drunk.
Oh, please. You're nowhere near a moderate.
I don't drink coffee, but my wife has one of these. It's perfect for a person who only drinks a single cup and usually throws out a pot of leftover coffee. Maybe this applies to you too. plus, you can try all different kinds of coffee varieties without having to buy a whole bag. She loves it.
Downside: you throw out a lot of plastic. I've been seeing a lot of these stories in the last few months.
I'm not sure this type of thing bothers you, but since you want to be able to swim in Lake Erie I suspect you have an environmental bone in your body.
Kiper is such a size-speed junkie. He falls for this stuff every year.
That INT was insane.