Longtime Panthers fan here. Watched the rise and fall of Jake from the upper deck and from my couch. He had a bad year last year and a pretty mediocre year in '08, but before that was a hell of a QB. The Panthers were always competitive with Jake under center, minus '09.
All I can say is I hope you Browns fans embrace Jake with the same support that us Panthers fans gave him. I've had the pleasure of meeting Jake twice, and he is just an all around nice guy. One of the classiest and most spirited guys you'll ever meet. The Panthers loved him for his leadership and ability to gut out tough wins. He did get lucky quite and bit and Steve Smith did bail him out a number of times, but Jake did his share of bailing out the Panthers. I think Holmgren probably saw Jake as a good example of a hard-working team player that could show a lot of the young players how to approach life in the NFL. He's not a guy with a Super Bowl ring, but he came close and he's won in the NFL. Starter or not, I think either way it was a good signing for you guys. I wish him all the best in Cleveland.