If you really want to see how a round works actually shoot something that is alive with it. I hunt wild hogs all the time with dogs. My hunting buddies tried the 9mm and they just did not work that well. Actually the 357 did not either because I have put good shots on hogs with them and had them run.
The 45 works much better and it will put a hog down. I tested one hog where I shot behind the shoulder and another quartering shot through the chest. Then I opened up the hog and looked at the wound channel. All I can tell you is that you do not want to be shot with a 45 because the wound channel is devastating.
I have seen a hog shot through the lungs with a 9mm that ran about 10 yards and died. That is the only one. I try to put one in the hog's ear or neck if possible. Another good shot is high in the hips with the 45. It breaks bone and the hog will never get away. AND if he gets after you he will be slower and you can get up a tree or get more shots.
Another thing is that all bullets do not expand the same even though they are alike and the same ammunition. All hollow points do not open up but close up forming a cylinder. I dug the bullets out of hogs and checked for myself and did not rely on what was written in a magazine.