I'll start my rant by stating prior to Johnny getting drafted by Cleveland I was not a Browns fan. I am an Aggie who watched Johnny play for two years at A&M. I wanted him to get drafted by Houston. If not Houston, then Dallas. After Dallas, anyone but Cleveland. Seriously. My question to Browns Fans is this - Why would Pettine not put in Johnny during the Indy game after Hoyer was clearly off his game?
When Johnny was drafted by the Browns I was pissed. Then I saw how the fans in Cleveland backed Johnny. My thought was it would be kind of badass if Johnny went to the Browns and helped turn around the franchise. I also wanted to see the Texans get punked by Cleveland. I still am pissed the Texans decided not to pick up Johnny and decided to got with a journeyman (not unlike Hoyer) in Fitzpatrick.
I decided to go all in as a "fanboy" for the Browns. I bought a Johnny Browns T-Shirt. In reality - the nation was excited about the Browns. Manziel's jersey was the number one seller for months. How the Brown's screwed up all the positive press and coverage JFF brought is another topic.
When it was decided that Hoyer would start at QB after pre-season, I was ok with it... somewhat. I watched and listened to Cleveland's games and as the season wore on, I was surprised to see the huge groundswell of support from Cleveland for Hoyer. He was the QB for a team which was winning. He was NOT the reason the team was winning.
My thoughts - if the Browns were winning with a journeyman like Hoyer, they probably couldn't do worse if they played Johnny (a hiesman trophy winner out of the SEC). In my view I couldn't see how Johhny could be worse.
Fast forward to last week - I was seriously excited to watch Johnny play. In fact, the Browns were back in the news again. Then Coach Assinine... errrr Pettine decided that after consideration Hoyer would start against Indy. WTF? After 6-7 dismal outings you decide he still gives you a better chance to win? I can't imagine the frustration lifelong Browns fans must have felt. I was floored.
To top off last week, Hoyer comes in and stinks up the game against the Colts. The defense was outstanding and did all that would be needed for almost any QB to win... except Hoyer, and possibly Fitzpatrick.
Now - to finish Johhny wasn't played against Indy, and your shitty coach notes that it never crossed his mind? WTF - how does it not cross your mind? Was he curious why Indy was stacking the defensive line daring Hoyer to throw? The run was shut down in the 2nd half as Indy went all in against it and the Brown's didn't make any adjustments. The most notable one being this - not giving the Hiesman trophy winner you drafted in the 1st round a chance...
It didn't cross my mind... What an ass.