marqui
Posts
-
Guys Who the Browns May Move Picks For -
Guys Who the Browns May Move Picks ForI can't see us parting with a high pick for anybody honestly. I think its all going towards the draft unless we can collect an ungodly amount of day 1 picks.
I think I agree with getting proven talent if all it cost is low picks. If you go into the draft and get to the late rounds and the good guys are gone trade the pick. I feel sometimes guys need a change of cities to improve. If we continue to get the right mind set in the Berea with Mike, Tom, and Eric young vets could be huge for us.
-
Guys Who the Browns May Move Picks ForThese areas, as well as depth on the offensive and defensive lines, could be areas that the Browns target to use some of their draft picks to acquire talented veterans.
Restricted Free Agents the Browns could be after:
Tramon Williams, CB, Green Bay : Williams is 5’-11” and performed pretty well as the starting corner opposite Charles Woodson last season.
He had four interceptions and 55 tackles for the Packers defense, and would be a huge upgrade opposite Eric Wright on the Browns defense.
The Browns may be able to get Williams for a third round pick in this draft, and if they are not sold on Joe Haden or Kyle Wilson, look for them to acquire the 27-year-old.
O.J. Atogwe, S, St. Louis: Signing Atogwe would come at a high cost, financially, for the Browns. He is rumored to be seeking around $7 million per season. The snag in the deal is that the Rams gave him the lowest tender of a restricted free-agent, which is the right-of-first-refusal tender.
Atogwe would come at a high price and probably a third or fourth round draft pick, but his knack for making the big play just may be worth it.
Justin Smiley, G, Miami : Smiley was just recently placed on the trading block by the Dolphins after they signed Richie Incognito from the Rams. With the recent loss of Rex Hadnot, the Browns now have a void on the right side of the line.
While Smiley has dealt with a few injuries, the majority of his career he has been a solid lineman for the Dolphins.
The current asking price has been stated to be anywhere from a third-round pick all the way to a sixth-round pick. If the Browns can acquire him, the 28-year-old Smiley would be a major upgrade to the right side of the line.
Rob Sims, G, Seattle: If Holmgren wants to get a guy he is familiar with, he can go for the 26 year old from Ohio State.
Sims has shown steady improvement every year in the league at the guard position, and like Smiley, would provide a huge upgrade to the right side of the Browns’ line.
Sims’ range is probably similar to Smiley’s (third-sixth) and he would be a better pick up than anyone the Browns could select in the draft.
Long-shot the Browns could make a play for:
Brandon Marshall, WR, Denver: This one is probably a long shot, but he is the best available WR on the trade market. He has a history of character issues, but that is mainly because he wants out of Denver and they won’t trade him.
The Browns’ recent history of trading Quinn to the Broncos for so little could mean that the two teams have an ability to work well together, especially since the Broncos would have to come down from their asking price of a first rounder for Marshall.
Would a package of Shaun Rogers and a third-round pick be something Denver could be interested in to bring Cleveland a true No. 1 receiver?
More likely to happen:
Trade up to select Colt McCoy: Mike Holmgren has not hidden his admiration for McCoy. And with a stockpile of draft picks, Holmgren has the arsenal to move into the bottom of the first round, or acquire an additional second round pick to get him.
Teams like the Patriots are always looking to move their first- and second-round picks in order to get more depth out of the draft and not be stuck with heavy financial burdens.
At this point all the fans can do is sit back and wait, but with “a couple combinations of trades pending” according to Mangini, the next month before the draft is going to keep Browns’ fans waiting around to see who Holmgren and Mangini bring to town next.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/368074-...efore-the-draft
You can also add Richard Marshall form CAR and Chris Cogong from Philly to the list.
-
Chompin' At The Bit Here......Can We Do SOMETHING????I feel that its the coach we have thats the reason no one wants to come here. Eric has such a bad rep with people in the NFL. Eric makes people uneasy he has so a smarky way about himself. Plus he don't want guys who challenge his bonehead ways.
-
Browns hire HeckertI just now looked on the Browns site & saw that. Every move finalized just gives more reason for excitement & optimism.
Seems to me that Randy got it right this time!
Mike
I agree now its time to hire Will Lewis next. I really want them to look at our scouting department. The best thing about thes hires thes guys have a track record of winning. Where Phil, Romero, Eric, and GenKos, wasn't guys with proven track records. They were really low racked guys good teams.
-
How about this early Mock Draft?Just a Mock Draft lite.
*I'm holding onto Quinn because of a low cap number, and because I think he'll get an opportunity in the 2nd half to improve. I think he'll stay in Cleveland, and I'm getting rid of Anderson simply because we cannot afford to pay him 7.45 million*
Losses:
Derek Anderson- Next year he makes 7.45 million. Not worth it for a QB who can barely complete 50% of his passes and throws more INT's than TD's, and even Mangini should be able to realize that. Traded to San Fran for a conditional 4th in 2011.
Jamal Lewis- If he doesn't retire, he'll be released.
Steve Heiden- Continuous back problems, will retire.
Hank Poteat- POS is released.
Nick Sorensen- released
Anthony Madison- released
Corey Williams- Traded to Panthers for 4th in 2010.
Billy Cundiff- Released
Ray Ventrone- Released
Ryan Tucker- Retired
Jerome Harrison, D'Qwell Jackson, Brodney Pool, and Lawrence Vickers all retained.
Free Agency:
Sage Rosenfels- Needs to limit turnovers, but throws for a good CP, and is a vet.
Maurice Stovall- Big, physical presence. We have zero WR's above 6'3 and that's Robo, who we don't know anything about.
Ben Watson- We need a true pass catching tight end. He brings us that presence.
Adam Terry- Played RT for the Ravens for a bit. Did a very solid job. They are now solid with Oher and Gaither, however.
Jason Hatcher- Has played consistently for the Cowboys as a rotational DE. Big, physical guy who's got some potential still.
Pierre Woods- An OLB presence who comes back home to Cleveland. A backup in New England right now who gets in nearly every game with the occasional start.
I personally believe the Rams, Buccaneers, Raiders, Chiefs, Panthers and Bills are all worse than us. We get the 7th pick.
2010 NFL Draft
1st- Gerald McCoy, DE, Oklahoma- Suh and Berry are both gone, so I go with the next best defensive player. We have a pressing need for a DE, especially a young one. McCoy and Suh are both amazing players, and McCoy fits the Seymour mold better than anybody I've seen in the last few years.
2nd- Jerry Hughes, DE/OLB, TCU- Hughes led the FBS in sacks (15) on the number one ranked defense in 2008. He has fantastic durability, and is quite athletic. But the best thing about him is his instincts and his tackling ability. In the open field, he breaks down for a wrap up tackle and can distinguish run vs. pass better than anybody in the nation.
3rd- Ciron Black, OT, LSU- Black is a big bodied, mauler. He excels in the run game. While his passing game needs work, he's got quick hands and excellent awareness off the snap. He's got a great motor and fantastic work ethic. He's a Mangini guy.
3rd- Perrish Cox, CB, OK State- Perfect height and weight and exceptional speed. He's got very good hands, and a fantastic closing burst. Needs work in coverage often giving too much cushion, but he's a good prospect.
3rd- Anthony McCoy, TE, USC- Very physically gifted player. Great size and solid speed at the tight end position. Can catch the ball over the middle with ease, and is tough. He plays to the whistle.
4th- Justin Woodall, S, Alabama- Woodall is a physical safety with decent ball skills. He's great with covering TE's, and doubling receivers over the top, and doesn't hesitate to go in for the big hit. Good project safety.
4th- Brandon Deaderick, DE, Alabama- Deaderick, along with Mt. Cody are big reasons why this Alabama defense is top 5 in the nation against the run. He's a physical guy with a lot of upside. He needs to get better laterally, but does a good job playing in space, and with contain.
5th- Zac Robinson, QB, OK State- I actually think Robinson is much better than a 5th round pick, but we'll see. He's an efficient passer who still manages to get it down field to his deeper threats. His 9.76 YPA was among the best in the NCAA last season and so far this season he's at 9.39 YPA. He doesn't turn the ball over that much and has good mobility.
5th- Joe Thomas, OT, Pitt- How sweet would it be to have two Joe Thomas'? All kidding aside, Thomas makes a perfect project at RT. We took Black earlier who could play either RT or RG, and we grab Thomas here to compete for a RT spot. We can't do much worse with St. Clair.
5th- Montario Hardesty, RB, Tennessee- Watching this guy run behind a barely average Tennessee offensive line can be fun. He has very good vision and once he finds a seam, he doesn't hesitate. He's very physical with legs that don't stop churning.
6th- Will Tukuafu, DE/OLB, Oregon- Tuk is a decent pass rusher with good backside contain. He's not the most athletic guy, and his coverage would be suspect, but he could find himself a spot as a situational pass rusher. Great size and very good against the run.
7th- Shay Hodge, WR, Ole Miss- A WR with decent size that falls due to speed issues. His hands are decent, but he runs crisp routes. Not the most explosive receiver, but he can get the job done.
I agree with most of the draft picks. I hope we go after a bigger name in FA. I two guys who I like is Vince Wolfork from NE I want Corey Williams gone. Also I believe Richard Seymour is a FA after this season. If we add these guys with our draft picks then I'm good ro go.
Here are of guys I want in the draft. I guess their bit under the radar but having great seasons. Inthe later rounds of the draft.
DT Kenrick Ellis - Comparison Used: Shaun Rodgers
Ht: 6-5 Wt: 327
NS: I’ll give you a kid who you’re going to hear more about too. They got a kid at Hampton named (Kenrick) Ellis, goes about 350 but he’s real quick for his size. Our guy down there is convinced he’s gonna come out...(he) calls him a taller Shaun Rogers.
TE Rob Gronkowski - Comparison: Jeremy Shockey
Ht: 6-6 Wt: 250
NS: Our scout out there called him a faster Jeremy Shockey. I’ve only seen him play a couple of times so I’ll stick with that.
AW: The thing with him is, he just exudes “football player” (yes he did actually use the finger-quotes!). I get the feeling he could be a hell of a linebacker if he wanted to be one. Now that he got hurt (back surgery) I would tell him to stay in school, you know, come back strong next year and erase the doubts. He’s every bit as good as Kellen Winslow and he’s not an a**hole. That whole program is getting better and he can really capitalize on that if he comes back.
WR Taylor Price Comparison: Greg Jennings
Ht: 6-0 Wt: 193
AW: Your man Price (I am a proud Ohio graduate!) could really be something. Just like Mike Mitchell (Raiders 2nd rounder) last year. Taylor is big and he can flat-put fly, and he isn’t shy about it either. Nice hands, good blocker. He reminds me of Greg Jennings in a way. Probably not as polished but he’s got potential.
NS: That kid (Price) can really go, lemme tell you. I caught their opener and he just jumps off the tape. That kid can fly and he’s pretty big. He ain’t real tall but he’s solid and he knows how to use his body. I got him for a 3rd round grade right now. You wanna know something? That kid got helped a lot when their QB (Boo Jackson) got hurt. The new QB (Theo Scott) throws a better ball and all that lets (Price) show off more.
OLB Lindsey Witten Comparison: Cliff Avril
Ht: 6-4 Wt: 258
I saw UConn play and they have a defensive end that just jumps out. Lindsey Witten. He’s faster that Cody Brown (former UConn end drafted in the 2nd round at OLB), better in space already. I bet you didn’t know he’s Donte Whitner’s little brother.
JR: I knew he was from Glenville (Cleveland, OH high school) but I did not know he was Whitner’s brother. I saw (Witten) tear up Ohio U. and he reminded me of Cliff Avril.
CB Brandon Ghee
Ht: 6-0 Wt: 191
NS: The best kid we’ve talked about here is Brandon Ghee (Wake Forest CB). He can’t catch a cold but he’s gonna be a real good zone corner. That kid can really bring it and he knows it.
-
Wimbley, Jackson, and the Young DL Guys@shepwrite said:
I like Locker a ton, probably because I like Sarkisian. He's really creating a whole new culture up there in that stunning setting. It could all come together for a very nice recruiting package.Locker is Tebow with pocket passing skills.
I again with you about Locker's upside. I rather we go defense first in this up coming draft. I believe we need to upgrade the right side of our O-Line first. I believe we could draft Sam Young in the 3rd. Then if he'still on the board Serigo Render in the 5th our 6th round. I will give Eric this much he can draft good linemen.
-
Wimbley, Jackson, and the Young DL GuysSuh and Jerry hughes could really add to our defense. I think Jason Trusnik has a real mean streak. I love how he went after Lynch today. Coleman was a welcome sight with his toughness. I think we should go all defense next year in the draft. I wonder if we should've offered more to our 1st choice FA's. Like Greer, Jason Butler, and Goldberg instead of guys like Foster and St. Clair.
-
Safety Mike Brown visit Browns?John Clayton said on ''The Huddle'' that Mike Brown will visit Cleveland. He said he will meet with the Chiefs first. The Bears was forced to let him walk.
http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2009/06/sa...own_making.html
I have no problem with adding another lock down safety. He claimed that Ty Law has contected the Browns also. I wonder if the Browns will add another vet? Law played better then expected last year. I wish the Browns would take a look at Ellis to help out the defense.
-
Browns sign OL George FosterWhatever happen with Ty Law? I was reading he wanted to tryout for the Browns. He outplayed his contract last year with the Jets. Also I think these type of signings is what we need. If we want to compete in the AFC North we need vets. We've a OLB and OT in KW and JT. So now adding vets to have coach them grow I agree with it. I think having a strong locker room help do more for younger players then good coaching.