Let's not forget that the Jets were 4-12 last year, projected to go 8-8 this year, finished 9-7, and should have finished with a better record. Mangini knew which players he wanted, and made Tannenbaum get them. I love that he called out Farve, because a lot of Favre's decisions sucked.
If Mangini and Pioli come in, and are friendly, I think they can work great together. If RAC is the DC, I don't see that as a problem at all. Pioli and Pangini would try to build this team after the Patriots, and I don't think many people know that defense better than RAC.
The offense has the talent to compete. If Pioli, Mangini and RAC can just focus on the defense, they can make this team pretty damn good in a short ammount of time.
One thing we New Yorkers who take sports seriously know is NEVER listen to Mike Francesca. The Jets lost because Brett Favre made HORRIBLE decisions, and the offense felt it had to go through him to be succesful. Brett is, unfortunatly, bigger than the team itself. It worked in Green Bay, but the Jets have a better team than the Packers. Brett Farve took that team away from a great running attack and forced them to put the ball in the air, on his bad shoulder, and into defenders arms. It's not Mangini's fault that Brett couldn't complete a 3 yard pass, but instead put it over his reciver head, giving the Dolphin's an easy INT late in the game.