When I started following football I did my research and worked with my heart. I've lived in Ohio but I've also lived in Commanders territory a lot longer, Tennessee, Florida, and Michigan. I now live no where in the US so I had lots of options. I picked Browns for a lot of reasons - but being the most winning team was not one of them. Quite the opposite. Trying to win by any means necissary has not worked, including giving clearly bad apples record breaking contracts. What we were left with is someone with no integrity off the field and no performance on the field. Personally, I wish Haslam would clean it up. If we keep losing I'll still be a Browns fan but what would make that a lot easier is if we cut back on the dirt outside game time. I'd rather have a team of boy scouts who lose most of the season but set a good example for young fans than a super bowl champion team with Ted Bundy at center, Jeffery Dahmer at QB, and John Wayne Gacy as WR. I know this isn't very good jock brain of me but I feel that as a business, which is what this is, there is still money to be made in that. I think a team you can be proud of can sell tickets, sell merch, win or not. If Clevalnd didn't love underdogs they wouldn't love the Browns. Opening day and I got confused because there was an elf printed on the field but everyone was cheering for the cowboys. When I think of Clevland I think rock and roll hall of fame, and the Browns. Its a core identity that goes beyond winning any particular game. And I feel like, from my admittedly somewhat outside perspective, the soul of the browns tends to reflect the soul of the city.
Integrity does matter. What athletes add to society outside entertainment is role models for kids - lessons in hard work, practice, team work, leadership. Beating people in hotel rooms, sexual harassment and assault, domestic violence... Like it or not when you keep those people on the roster you tell kids this is ok you can be successful and do these things. So they already aren't doing their job and when you don't do your job you get fired. Add to that, the fact that they aren't even doing what is seen as their job by everyone who isn't a virtue signaling bleeding heart loser like me - by winning games... And I'm not sure what the return on investment is supposed to be.