@vaportrail said:
I like how you guys immediately blame the "progressive left" for crap like this. I consider myself from that part of the political spectrum, and I absolutely hate it when you equate anything you hate as being a result of people from this group.
Anyways, here's how I see it.
Do I like that the teachings of Islam are being taught in public schools? There's no easy answer as it's dependent on a huge array of factors. If it's in a history class or a study about world cultures, then yes, I think it's great to let people know how people practice respective religions around the world. To suggest that they SHOULD do something outside of class to be more like a certain culture, xxxx that.
I don't dislike Islam any less than I dislike Christianity. They're all the same poison, just different brands. If a teacher wants to teach about Islam in a world culture course, that's fine. If they want to tell you how to pray or advocate ANY kind of religious moral sets, then it had better NOT be in a public school. Kids need to be educated as objectively as possible. The "progressive left" is on the same page as you on the beliefs that Islamic moral principles should not be advocated in class.
No. I'll be getting off topic a bit, but I want to address this. I don't support Muslims to spite Christians. I despise their poison just the same. I hate their wacky, ass-backwards, stone-age, misogynistic, homophobic beliefs. I would argue that most people that consider themselves to be "progressive liberals" would agree with me. Because this is America, however, and we live under the Constitution. I'll defend their right to exist, preach, build mosques, etc. even if I HATE what they stand for, and I HATE the current state of Islam far more than I hate the current state of Christianity, it's far more barbaric.
Christians have been preaching their bullshit in America pretty much without any competition for hundreds of years. Now, I feel that the Christians that are getting offended by things Muslims are doing are just getting a taste of their own medicine. Everyone's had to deal with Christian bullshit, it's about time they had to deal with someone else's. If you are allowed to build churches on your property, they can build mosques on theirs. The First Amendment doesn't cover your right to not be offended. The only times I have defended Islam is when people try to deprive Muslims Americans of rights afforded to Christians Americans. (see my thoughts on the mosque in NYC)
YES! Thank you so much for posting this. I agree wholeheartedly!