"The media" has not helped form my opinion of Mangini, as I spent many years around the Jets at Hofstra, as a former member of the media, myself. I'm very capable of forming my own opinions. It's easy to bring up the Kerry Rhodes/Damien Woody remarks towards Mangini, as those are guys that could never keep their mouths shut, period. But some of the same guys people have mentioned in this thread who Mangini brought to the Jets are the same ones who tired of him(Faneca, most notable, had a very tense relationship with him towards the end), and his schtick, and had some influence in his termination. Mangini would meet with a certain small group of veterans weekly(of which Jenkins and Faneca were a part), and they'd tell him that they couldn't keep up with the training camp-like practices, that they felt it was the reason guys were getting injured, or looked lethargic in games, especially as the season wound down. His 4-12 record in year 2 with the Jets was much more indicative of his stamp on the team, and his late season collapse in '08 did nothing to help validate his first years 10-6 record, either. And as far as him "impressing" Holmgren, don't read too much into that. He's going to have to change some of his philosophies to suit what Holmgren wants to do, and keep in mind that Holmgrens always believed that a coach needs more than a year in an organization to show what he can do. I expect the Browns to be alot better, but I would say that the Holmgren/Heckert front office may have more to do with it than Mangini's leadership.
Ron G.
Posts
-
Sheldon Brown/Chris Gocong -
Sheldon Brown/Chris GocongA lot of us here really like Mangini and respect his coaching style. He also is very much about character, that can't be disputed.
Now, on to something you may know more about: Is it possible for Brown to play free safety? Word is Philly was looking at moving him there before the trade.
I'm actually surprised there's people that like Mangini there. He's disliked intensely in NY, simply because he would lie to players, and the media's face blatantly, and often.
Brown can play both Safety positions. He actually did cover both spots at times during the past 2 seasons. He's a very intelligent player, with great instincts, and reads receivers & the qb's eyes very well. McDermott was definitely looking to play him more at Safety had he remained an Eagle. Aside from money/contract issues, something that was said today is that he was dealt because McDermott wants to put his own stamp on the defense, and Sheldon's knowledge of Jim Johnson's system, and strong belief in it, could stand in the way of him doing that. It's not something I necessarily buy, knowing Sheldon, but it was something being kicked around.
-
Sheldon Brown/Chris Gocongthanks a lot for the input ron. we really appreciate you telling us this. holmgren and mangini are both big character guys and it makes sense that these guys have great attitudes. thanks again.
Mangini, a big character guy? Please tell me I read that wrong! Holmgren, without a doubt. But not Mangini. While I'm an Iggles fan, I'm born, raised, & live in NY. I know alot of people in the Jets organization, as well as some players there under his watch. You won't find many people who were sad to see Mangini go, fewer people that expected him to get another head coaching job. I don't know how long Holmgren puts up with Eric, unless he does a 180 in his coaching philosophy, and drastically improves his people skills.
I think in Heckert and Holmgren, the sky is the limit for this organization.
-
Sheldon Brown/Chris GocongJust want to take a minute to fill Browns fans in on what they're getting in Gocong & Brown. Let me start by saying I'm a lifelong Eagles fan, but the Browns have long been the AFC team I've "followed" (yes, rooted for, but it's unfair to call myself a fan, when many of you are amazing die-hards!).
In Sheldon, you're getting a guy that shows up to play each week, at 110%, injured or healthy. He hits hard, covers well, and is simply a great leader on and off the field. He's an amazing person, who will be out and about in the Cleveland community. He's very approachable, loves the fans, and is a guy you will all take to very quickly.
Goco is also a great guy. He'll fit better in your defensive system than he did in Philly. He was forced to play out of position at times in Philly, so we never got to see what he could do consistently- just glimpses. He has a work ethic second to none, and just wants to win.
In essence, the Browns made out FAR better than the Eagles did in this trade. Definitely helps that Holmgren & Heckert are Reids buddies. You won't be disappointed in these guys. Now, if you could just get rid of Mangini...