I guess this move makes sense if they were never going to let him play anyway, and if they are going all power running.With Hardesty back next year I doubt Davis would have been on the field much anyway (Assuming Hardesty can stay healthy) and if they keep Bell they will have 3 solid power runners that will straight up steamroll and gas opposing team's defenses.
Would have been nice to try to get a 6th rounder back for him earlier in the season if they were just going to dump him though.
My only issue with this type of run game is the lack of a speedster. I think in the NFL you have to have that guy in the backfield that can hit the homerun anytime he touches the ball. I love this type of power football, but I don't know if it works in the NFL.
Not to change the subject, but that's precisely how I would like to see Cribbs be used: a speedster in the backfield. Pitch backs, etc. Get him the ball in space and let him do what he does. Kinda Reggie Bush-esque. Seems a better place for his natural talents than at receiver, where he has to concern himself with routes, etc. But...I suppose he's fully entrenched at the receiver position now.
