Good morning from "Darn near our entire team is injured" Packerland....
I'm just going to give this a quick bump, and to say we hope some of you are able to join us on Saturday evening. This is truly going to be a swell event to benefit veteran's and youth, and it leaves you with enough time to explore the rest of our nightlife after! (I know I will be in search of a few drinks after! )
Gipper...I think I can spread some light on your question. It seems to have been tradition for quite some time as in the not to distant past, there were not many "full service" hotels in Green Bay...in fact, I think only one. (Full service meaning, ahem, with food and meeting facilities under one roof).
My understanding was there was some heavy incentive thrown at teams by the Paper Valley in Appleton, and that's why things migrated there. Also, the hotel blocks an entire wing and built meeting and banquet space around that wing, so the team can essentially be secluded and mostly uninterrupted their entire stay. Plus we give them a nifty police escort 30 miles through the Wisconsin country side. As a trivia aside, the team plane takes the shortest flight plan imaginable usually as the game starts, leaving the Appleton airport for the Green Bay airport, 25 miles away, and the visiting team leaves from there.
In any event, best of luck on Sunday, and we'd love to see some of you on Saturday night!