Browns Trade........Up?
-
The more I look at this draft the more it seems that whoever is left at 7 isn't worth it at that spot; at least for us. What I mean is, it seems like if you don't have a position of need at picks 1-3, you're almost better off waiting until the 2nd round and getting decent talent at a much lower price. Enter baseless theory....
Rob Ryan has got to be just drooling over Eric Berry. Last year against the Steelers when we were able to man up on the WRs he got really creative and really aggressive. Just like every other Ryan that has ever coached; and we saw the results. Having a guy like Berry back there would open a lot of things for a Defensive Coordinator and instantly help the defense. And so it just seems like common sense to me that the Browns would want to move up in the draft for once. We have 11 picks, a few of which in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. We can afford to trade a QB, RB, and a DL along with a pick or two to swap positions in the 1st and grab Berry. If we cannot do this, then it would make sense that we would want to get out of that #7 spot and pick up a few extra 2nd and 3rd round picks, a veteran or two, save a ton of cash, and bring in a stable of young talent to work on. Am I alone in this hypothesis? Does anyone else out there see this as a legit or even a likely option?
-
Brotha im droolong at the thought of trading up and getting berry but i suspect that unfortunately a shutdown safety once again will take a backseat to everything and mangini likes elam who is mediocre at best...;(
Brotha im droolong at the thought of trading up and getting berry but i suspect that unfortunately a shutdown safety once again will take a backseat to everything and mangini likes elam who is mediocre at best...;(
I like Elam too and I think with real CBs or a roaming Safety back there with him, he will do very well; but Mangini isn't alone this year. Heckert, I'm hoping, sees some Brian Dawkins in this kid and makes a strong case to go an get him. Plus, a lot of scouts are saying that Berry may be better at corner which makes him an even more solid choice. He is a once every 5 year player like Reed or Poulamalu. And if they don't go and get Berry, I hope they can trade out of that spot and compile some more picks. There really isn't too much I like in that 7 spot. Trading down a few spots, taking Bulaga maybe while acquiring more picks makes more sense to me than reaching for a guy at 7. In a nutshell, I feel like if you're not getting Suh or Berry, than you need to get out of the top 10.
-
How about Joe Haden ? I keep seeing mock drafts with the Browns taking him at 7th. What do you guys think about him? I heard he's a pretty good shutdown corner. Thanks.
-
How about Joe Haden ? I keep seeing mock drafts with the Browns taking him at 7th. What do you guys think about him? I heard he's a pretty good shutdown corner. Thanks.
How about Joe Haden ? I keep seeing mock drafts with the Browns taking him at 7th. What do you guys think about him? I heard he's a pretty good shutdown corner. Thanks.
I've seen some mocks with Haden going before 7 too..Watched every game of his career guy is money..
-
if there are any legs to that DA going to STL, is it possible that we would be trading our #7 pick and DA to stl for the #1 overall pick? suh or berry?
-
How about Joe Haden ? I keep seeing mock drafts with the Browns taking him at 7th. What do you guys think about him? I heard he's a pretty good shutdown corner. Thanks.
How about Joe Haden ? I keep seeing mock drafts with the Browns taking him at 7th. What do you guys think about him? I heard he's a pretty good shutdown corner. Thanks.
Joe is a excellent corner who can man up on anyone. Not being a Gator homer here.....he is a real top shelf corner who will be able to allow his DC to stick him on a receiver of choice and pretty much eliminate that player from the passing gameplan.
You want a Bolden out of the mix?? Stick Haden on him and Bolden isn't going to get many open looks.
He would improve our D in more ways than one.
-
With two shutdown corners, then our Safeties aren't as necessary for coverage duty. Then Elam and Adams can man the two safety positions and both be enforcers, which they are both good at. Adams is serviceable in coverage, and Elam is not.
Again, I really, really, really don't think you take a safety, no matter how good, in the top 10. So trading up for Berry would be stupid in my mind. If he falls to #7, maybe think about it. But I'd rather a shutdown corner at this stage with the Browns.
It all depends though, on whether they resign Jackson or not. We might have to go with a LB if they don't.
-
We need an impact player at pick 7. Haden is instant impact since Wright is turning into a pretty solid corner himself. Haden could come in and take on the opponents number one which would make Wright even better covering the number two. Then you can move Bmac in the slot and get Adams back at safety. I actually think Haden may be a bigger impact than Berry because Ryan will be able to scheme very effectively and stay aggressive.
That being said, I still am sporting some maple over Spiller. He is going to be a dynamic pro and picturing him on our offense with Harrison and Cribbs would give our division fits. Hell, they've been used to us trying to ram Lewis at them so watch how much we can open up on them when they have to worry about a guy like Spiller in both the running and passing game.
Either way, there can be impact picks at 7....there is more to this draft than just Suh and Berry.
Mark my words on Spiller folks, he will tear it up wherever he goes.
-
Mark my words, the Browns won't have Spiller on their first round pick list.
Spiller is a great pick for a team that has great talent around, but badly needs a playmaking rb.
Look at Reggie Bush's contributions to the Saints the last four games:
Week 14 '09 (@ATL)1 6 33 33.0 5.5 0 6 46 46.0 7.7 21 - - 2 1 0
Week 15 '09 (DAL) 1 1 29 29.0 29.0 0 2 17 17.0 8.5 16 - - 0 0 0
Week 16 '09 (TAM) 1 2 16 16.0 8.0 0 6 37 37.0 6.2 15 - - 0 0 0
Week 17 (@CAR) 1 5 35 35.0 7.0 0 0 0 0.0 N/A N/A - - 0 0 0
Riff, that's zero TD's, 6 rushes 33 yards, 1 rush 29 yards, 2 rushes 16 yards, 5 for 35 yards.
The Browns have some major needs, and it isn't rb. The Browns pick will be Haden, probably, or maybe Rolando M., lb.
Spiller is spectacular, but if we nabbed a rb in the first round? I would happily trade our second pick and DA to move up
in the first round again, and nab Dwyer, if he's going to go later in the first... might have to be just ahead of the squeelers.
THAT is a rb we need, a fast, bruising punisher. But, I still like the kid Jocquin Bell? in the 4th/5th round.
-
I like Joe Haden a lot, and this is coming from a kid who hates Florida. The kid is truly great at what he does. Looking at what Revis did for the Jets this year, I think a shutdown corner can possibly help more than getting a stud safety for us.
As for C.J. Spiller- I love him too, and I also hate Clemson. I'd love to see Thunder and Lightning reunited. But it isn't going to happen unless his stock falls tremendously. I'm a huge fan of one-cut runners. I think that's what James Davis could be for us.
-
How about Joe Haden ? I keep seeing mock drafts with the Browns taking him at 7th. What do you guys think about him? I heard he's a pretty good shutdown corner. Thanks.
Joe is a excellent corner who can man up on anyone. Not being a Gator homer here.....he is a real top shelf corner who will be able to allow his DC to stick him on a receiver of choice and pretty much eliminate that player from the passing gameplan.
You want a Bolden out of the mix?? Stick Haden on him and Bolden isn't going to get many open looks.
He would improve our D in more ways than one.
Joe is a excellent corner who can man up on anyone. Not being a Gator homer here.....he is a real top shelf corner who will be able to allow his DC to stick him on a receiver of choice and pretty much eliminate that player from the passing gameplan.
You want a Bolden out of the mix?? Stick Haden on him and Bolden isn't going to get many open looks.
He would improve our D in more ways than one.
As a Rookie ?? I dont know... maybe in yr 2 or 3. But maybe your right. Dont see a lot of guys do that in year 1.
-
if there are any legs to that DA going to STL, is it possible that we would be trading our #7 pick and DA to stl for the #1 overall pick? suh or berry?
if there are any legs to that DA going to STL, is it possible that we would be trading our #7 pick and DA to stl for the #1 overall pick? suh or berry?
we cant rip them off like that but on the other end we would trade the overall one spot for that at least mandingo would.
-
if there are any legs to that DA going to STL, is it possible that we would be trading our #7 pick and DA to stl for the #1 overall pick? suh or berry?
if there are any legs to that DA going to STL, is it possible that we would be trading our #7 pick and DA to stl for the #1 overall pick? suh or berry?
that would only happen if mangini were calling the shots in st louis.
-
Haden is a flat out stud, and I hate the freakin Gators
Spiller, Love him!!!!!!!!
Got a idea, draft Haden...then trade anybody not named Cribbs and get Spiller......
-
Joe is a excellent corner who can man up on anyone. Not being a Gator homer here.....he is a real top shelf corner who will be able to allow his DC to stick him on a receiver of choice and pretty much eliminate that player from the passing gameplan.
You want a Bolden out of the mix?? Stick Haden on him and Bolden isn't going to get many open looks.
He would improve our D in more ways than one.
As a Rookie ?? I dont know... maybe in yr 2 or 3. But maybe your right. Dont see a lot of guys do that in year 1.
FREAKofSTEEL08 said:
As a Rookie ?? I dont know... maybe in yr 2 or 3. But maybe your right. Dont see a lot of guys do that in year 1.Obviously rooks have ups and downs. It's not like every pass thrown his way is going to get picked or batted down....and yes, when discussing potential draft picks, you have to project forward to a degree, so sure, my comments aren't just geared for what he is going to do game 1 of his NFL career.
-
Now, back to the trade up discussion, I could see us trading up to the late 1st round if a player we want is there.
Maybe something like our 2nd and 1 of our 3rd round selections, and 1 of the 5th rounders to get in to the late 20's area of the first round.
I am not going to pull out that draft trade value chart, but that seems to be about what it would take to move up 10-12 slots.....maybe grab Ipatui(sp) in the late 1st round.
-
The Browns do NOT have the overall talent to sacrifice those picks for a player in the top of the draft, when
they are already picking 7th. Won't happen.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login