Too soon for draft talk??
-
Great thread guys and good info.
Regarding a couple players mentioned: I can never find it in me to underestimate a Mathews. That family has genes that should be cloned, so I would expect the kid to get better and better as he gets older, but that's just supposition.
Not to harp on Laurinaitis because of my bias for OSU, but I wasn't really referring to the Browns taking him to play next to Jackson. However, now that it's been brought up, the kid can tackle and is athletic. Plus, I feel this size thing at ILB is grossly overrated. I've seen JL take on two linemen at once, stand them up and make the tackle 2 yards downfield. One thing is for sure, that garbage that happened the other night would not have happened to him if he was involved. The kid is a great tackler, doesn't over pursue and takes correct angles.
So much of playing ILB nowadays is playing smart in coverage and the open field, which we are putrid at. Leon Williams is absolutely clueless out there in coverage. He will drop too deep with nobody around him and allow an underneath route right in front of him with all sorts of cushion. Of course, then he can't close on the tackle since he leaves so much space. Honestly, I want football players back there, not video game robots with the proper "size and speed", of which JL's not lacking much. Doug Lesmerises (OSU Dealer Beat Writer) wrote a very convincing article awhile back on why JL is great and not just good. I'll see if I can dig it up, but it correlates to a lot of my beliefs. Also, keep in mind JL is not playing behind a good dline at OSU, not even close. They are almost woeful at the interior positions and nobody demands double teams. I watch a lot of DVR'd games and pay close attention to JL, rarely do I see him make a mistake.
Regarding Maualuga, I feel he may be more hype than what he is. Reason I say that is I don't see him being real instinctual and I believe he will be the type that is out of position a lot but make the occasional big play that stands out. Really, the key to good linebacking is consistency, and I'm not sure he is that. I'll be serious to see what his combine numbers are as far as explosiveness and shuttle speed. I'll venture to guess JL has better numbers overall.
Great thread guys and good info.
Regarding a couple players mentioned: I can never find it in me to underestimate a Mathews. That family has genes that should be cloned, so I would expect the kid to get better and better as he gets older, but that's just supposition.
Not to harp on Laurinaitis because of my bias for OSU, but I wasn't really referring to the Browns taking him to play next to Jackson. However, now that it's been brought up, the kid can tackle and is athletic. Plus, I feel this size thing at ILB is grossly overrated. I've seen JL take on two linemen at once, stand them up and make the tackle 2 yards downfield. One thing is for sure, that garbage that happened the other night would not have happened to him if he was involved. The kid is a great tackler, doesn't over pursue and takes correct angles.
So much of playing ILB nowadays is playing smart in coverage and the open field, which we are putrid at. Leon Williams is absolutely clueless out there in coverage. He will drop too deep with nobody around him and allow an underneath route right in front of him with all sorts of cushion. Of course, then he can't close on the tackle since he leaves so much space. Honestly, I want football players back there, not video game robots with the proper "size and speed", of which JL's not lacking much. Doug Lesmerises (OSU Dealer Beat Writer) wrote a very convincing article awhile back on why JL is great and not just good. I'll see if I can dig it up, but it correlates to a lot of my beliefs. Also, keep in mind JL is not playing behind a good dline at OSU, not even close. They are almost woeful at the interior positions and nobody demands double teams. I watch a lot of DVR'd games and pay close attention to JL, rarely do I see him make a mistake.
Regarding Maualuga, I feel he may be more hype than what he is. Reason I say that is I don't see him being real instinctual and I believe he will be the type that is out of position a lot but make the occasional big play that stands out. Really, the key to good linebacking is consistency, and I'm not sure he is that. I'll be serious to see what his combine numbers are as far as explosiveness and shuttle speed. I'll venture to guess JL has better numbers overall.
I hope we don't get to wrapped up in the physical speciman part and really make sure its a smart and career oriented player. I know that sounds cheesy but you have to be able to think, adjust, etc.
-
english's measurables look good. i'd like to see him in a game.
everette brown's three-game stretch is something i've heard quite a bit about. he definitely has the ability to be dominant, he needs needs to be consistent. against boston college, he didn't show up while i was watching.
forgot that selvie's been hurt. is probably good for us: gives us a better chance to snag him.
i agree that we need someone big inside with d'qwell. laurinaitis isn't that guy.
i like seeing reports on people like english, guys who aren't from big-time programs. LB and RB are the positions i think it's most likely to find late-round steals for. let's hope bell can be one of those steals and let us concentrate on safety and pass rush in the first two rounds this year.
english's measurables look good. i'd like to see him in a game.
Unfortunately, it'll be hard to find a N. Illinois game televised out in Cali.
One thing I'd recommend is checking to see if your ISP subscribes to ESPN360. You can do that by checking if your ISP is on this list or by going to espn360.com and seeing if it says that your ISP carries the service.
Not only does espn360 show a lot of the small school games, but it also allows you to watch replays of select games from earlier in the season. So if you want to see Larry English, you just look for a N. Illinois game. Or if you want to see Aaron Curry, find a Wake Forest game (the one against Ole Miss was great).
Without espn360, I probably wouldn't have been able either of those guys play.
i like seeing reports on people like english, guys who aren't from big-time programs. LB and RB are the positions i think it's most likely to find late-round steals for. let's hope bell can be one of those steals and let us concentrate on safety and pass rush in the first two rounds this year.
I agree & hope the same thing about Bell.
-
A RealGM interview of an anonymous scout was circulating around the web a couple weeks back.
Here's what the scout had to say about Little Animal & Rey Rey:
On Laurinaitis:
Laurinaitis scares me a little. There are times where he looks like he’s thinking too much and he runs stiff. In the right defense he’s got a chance to be real good, but he’s no Tampa 2 guy. I’ll tell you one thing I love about him: James Laurinaitis thrives when challenged. You can’t coach that, you can’t teach that, and it’s that quality that separates the great from the good. Ray Lewis has it, Pat Willis has that. And Laurinaitis has it.
On Maualuga:
Well, I’m not a west coast guy but I just do not get the hype around Rey Maualuga (USC linebacker). So what if he’s a giant? That kid has zero football instincts and he isn’t one bit better than when he got there. Every time he actually makes a play he looks great, but watch him on the plays where he isn’t making the tackle. He’s taking himself out of plays and he cannot turn at all.
I know our west coast scout feels the same and he will not be high on our board.
And this one was interesting:
Who are the top 3 players you’ve rated this year?
Scout: My top evaluation was Malcolm Jenkins like we talked about. Next would be Jeremy Maclin (WR/RS Missouri). That kid is dynamite. How well he can cut at full speed is rare. His hands are better than people think. Let me think about third. I would say Aaron Curry from Wake Forest or big Eugene Monroe from Virginia. Those kids aren’t really in my area but I’ve seen a lot of coaches tape of them.
-
This guy confirms what I think of Rey Rey. He's more hype than substance.
JL may think too much at times, that's legit and I agree with it. However, a lot has to do with the defense he's in. He can't make mistakes without much line help, so he doesn't get to pin his ears back as much.
Also agree about Jenkins, he is going to be a stud. People forget how big he is, too.
Al, you're great to have on board man.
-
Thanks, Russ.
Now all we need to do is get Heck back here. He's the real draft guru.
-
This guy confirms what I think of Rey Rey. He's more hype than substance.
JL may think too much at times, that's legit and I agree with it. However, a lot has to do with the defense he's in. He can't make mistakes without much line help, so he doesn't get to pin his ears back as much.
Also agree about Jenkins, he is going to be a stud. People forget how big he is, too.
Al, you're great to have on board man.
This guy confirms what I think of Rey Rey. He's more hype than substance.
Part of the reason why I lean towards Curry over Rey Rey is because of comments like these (and yours).
Both guys should be good 3-4 ILB's, so why not go with the guy who seems less likely to be a bust?
Also, I think Curry's a little more versatile. If we end up switching to a 4-3, I'd much prefer to have a quick, smart guy like Curry over a guy who, while great playing down-hill, often over pursues and isn't as good in coverage.
Also agree about Jenkins, he is going to be a stud. People forget how big he is, too.
Yeah. I think it's a rarity that you can get a guy who not only has the potential to be a shutdown corner, but also has the potential to be a pretty good safety.
Though I'd prefer we go LB in Round 1, I understand the appeal of bringing in a guy who could fix whatever problem we have in our secondary, whether it be at CB or safety (assuming Pool would move to SS).
Also, I love it when a DB can blitz.
Gotta love the hustle on that play.
-
Great thread guys and good info.
Regarding a couple players mentioned: I can never find it in me to underestimate a Mathews. That family has genes that should be cloned, so I would expect the kid to get better and better as he gets older, but that's just supposition.
Not to harp on Laurinaitis because of my bias for OSU, but I wasn't really referring to the Browns taking him to play next to Jackson. However, now that it's been brought up, the kid can tackle and is athletic. Plus, I feel this size thing at ILB is grossly overrated. I've seen JL take on two linemen at once, stand them up and make the tackle 2 yards downfield. One thing is for sure, that garbage that happened the other night would not have happened to him if he was involved. The kid is a great tackler, doesn't over pursue and takes correct angles.
So much of playing ILB nowadays is playing smart in coverage and the open field, which we are putrid at. Leon Williams is absolutely clueless out there in coverage. He will drop too deep with nobody around him and allow an underneath route right in front of him with all sorts of cushion. Of course, then he can't close on the tackle since he leaves so much space. Honestly, I want football players back there, not video game robots with the proper "size and speed", of which JL's not lacking much. Doug Lesmerises (OSU Dealer Beat Writer) wrote a very convincing article awhile back on why JL is great and not just good. I'll see if I can dig it up, but it correlates to a lot of my beliefs. Also, keep in mind JL is not playing behind a good dline at OSU, not even close. They are almost woeful at the interior positions and nobody demands double teams. I watch a lot of DVR'd games and pay close attention to JL, rarely do I see him make a mistake.
Regarding Maualuga, I feel he may be more hype than what he is. Reason I say that is I don't see him being real instinctual and I believe he will be the type that is out of position a lot but make the occasional big play that stands out. Really, the key to good linebacking is consistency, and I'm not sure he is that. I'll be serious to see what his combine numbers are as far as explosiveness and shuttle speed. I'll venture to guess JL has better numbers overall.
Great thread guys and good info.
Regarding a couple players mentioned: I can never find it in me to underestimate a Mathews. That family has genes that should be cloned, so I would expect the kid to get better and better as he gets older, but that's just supposition.
Not to harp on Laurinaitis because of my bias for OSU, but I wasn't really referring to the Browns taking him to play next to Jackson. However, now that it's been brought up, the kid can tackle and is athletic. Plus, I feel this size thing at ILB is grossly overrated. I've seen JL take on two linemen at once, stand them up and make the tackle 2 yards downfield. One thing is for sure, that garbage that happened the other night would not have happened to him if he was involved. The kid is a great tackler, doesn't over pursue and takes correct angles.
So much of playing ILB nowadays is playing smart in coverage and the open field, which we are putrid at. Leon Williams is absolutely clueless out there in coverage. He will drop too deep with nobody around him and allow an underneath route right in front of him with all sorts of cushion. Of course, then he can't close on the tackle since he leaves so much space. Honestly, I want football players back there, not video game robots with the proper "size and speed", of which JL's not lacking much. Doug Lesmerises (OSU Dealer Beat Writer) wrote a very convincing article awhile back on why JL is great and not just good. I'll see if I can dig it up, but it correlates to a lot of my beliefs. Also, keep in mind JL is not playing behind a good dline at OSU, not even close. They are almost woeful at the interior positions and nobody demands double teams. I watch a lot of DVR'd games and pay close attention to JL, rarely do I see him make a mistake.
Regarding Maualuga, I feel he may be more hype than what he is. Reason I say that is I don't see him being real instinctual and I believe he will be the type that is out of position a lot but make the occasional big play that stands out. Really, the key to good linebacking is consistency, and I'm not sure he is that. I'll be serious to see what his combine numbers are as far as explosiveness and shuttle speed. I'll venture to guess JL has better numbers overall.
How can you say size at ILB is over rated?? Didn't the Steelers absolutely WASTE a pick on a skinny ILB from Kent State some years ago?....Boy, that lightweight Lambert kid would never amount to anything!!...Just the HOF, that's all! I agree with you...I call it the "double I"...Intelligence & Intensity, & that's JL. I also agree with the Mathews kid...what lineage HE has!
Mike
-
good to know that i wasn't crazy when i was watching USC against stanford. maualuga didn't show up a lot for me. the guy i saw making the most plays was 26, will harris.
brian cushing made his fair share of plays during the course of the game and can also play multiple positions; he'll be in there no matter what defensive style we play. he just makes plays no matter where he is on the field and that's something that's valuable no matter what position a player's at.
his durability is a concern, though.
-
Great thread guys and good info.
Regarding a couple players mentioned: I can never find it in me to underestimate a Mathews. That family has genes that should be cloned, so I would expect the kid to get better and better as he gets older, but that's just supposition.
Not to harp on Laurinaitis because of my bias for OSU, but I wasn't really referring to the Browns taking him to play next to Jackson. However, now that it's been brought up, the kid can tackle and is athletic. Plus, I feel this size thing at ILB is grossly overrated. I've seen JL take on two linemen at once, stand them up and make the tackle 2 yards downfield. One thing is for sure, that garbage that happened the other night would not have happened to him if he was involved. The kid is a great tackler, doesn't over pursue and takes correct angles.
So much of playing ILB nowadays is playing smart in coverage and the open field, which we are putrid at. Leon Williams is absolutely clueless out there in coverage. He will drop too deep with nobody around him and allow an underneath route right in front of him with all sorts of cushion. Of course, then he can't close on the tackle since he leaves so much space. Honestly, I want football players back there, not video game robots with the proper "size and speed", of which JL's not lacking much. Doug Lesmerises (OSU Dealer Beat Writer) wrote a very convincing article awhile back on why JL is great and not just good. I'll see if I can dig it up, but it correlates to a lot of my beliefs. Also, keep in mind JL is not playing behind a good dline at OSU, not even close. They are almost woeful at the interior positions and nobody demands double teams. I watch a lot of DVR'd games and pay close attention to JL, rarely do I see him make a mistake.
Regarding Maualuga, I feel he may be more hype than what he is. Reason I say that is I don't see him being real instinctual and I believe he will be the type that is out of position a lot but make the occasional big play that stands out. Really, the key to good linebacking is consistency, and I'm not sure he is that. I'll be serious to see what his combine numbers are as far as explosiveness and shuttle speed. I'll venture to guess JL has better numbers overall.
Doug Lesmerises (OSU Dealer Beat Writer) wrote a very convincing article awhile back on why JL is great and not just good. I'll see if I can dig it up, but it correlates to a lot of my beliefs. Also, keep in mind JL is not playing behind a good dline at OSU, not even close. They are almost woeful at the interior positions and nobody demands double teams. I watch a lot of DVR'd games and pay close attention to JL, rarely do I see him make a mistake.
Lesmerises did the whole talk to an NFL scout thing on his blog, and here's what the scout said about Laurinaitis:
"He's similar to A.J. Hawk and I was a big fan of A.J. Hawk. I probably liked Hawk a little more than I like Laurinaitis. In a 3-4, when that guard is uncovered and he has to deal with an NFL guard coming down on him, he's not getting off that block and he isn't making a lot of plays. In a 4-3 that's closer to what they play in Columbus, he should be the player he has been in college, which is a really instinctive guy.
"I don't know that he hurt himself coming back. I'll say this about these guys that came back, I think that shows something about their character. They're doing it for the right reasons and their love of Ohio State, and I think sometimes these kids forget that the people drafting them are football coaches, we're football people, and we don't want you jumping ship on your team, because we're drafting you to play on our team. We want guys who've got their chips all in. And I think all those things helps these guys."
-
Regarding Maualuga, I feel he may be more hype than what he is. Reason I say that is I don't see him being real instinctual and I believe he will be the type that is out of position a lot but make the occasional big play that stands out. Really, the key to good linebacking is consistency, and I'm not sure he is that. I'll be serious to see what his combine numbers are as far as explosiveness and shuttle speed. I'll venture to guess JL has better numbers overall.
Disagree entirely! I think he is super instinctual and makes plays...i think flugs said wow factor. JL rarely makes me say wow...mostly wtf....he is AD in disquise. ha ha not that bad but he's not Patrick Willis or even curtis lofton or Beason for that matter. just my opinion
-
Wells too injury prone for me that high, Orakpo IS the real deal but we desperately need Help up the middle.
Rey 09"
Wells too injury prone for me that high, Orakpo IS the real deal but we desperately need Help up the middle.
Rey 09"
I ALSO hope we draft a Rb as high as second round ,depending, If Cj. spillar would fall to us in second ,depending on whats left at that point....I'd be inclined to take him.
-
It all depends on where we draft, who enters the draft, and who is available when we draft.
-
It all depends on where we draft, who enters the draft, and who is available when we draft.
-
TFY has a good rundown on which juniors are planning on declaring for the draft.
Here are their reports on some of the big name backs and receivers:
RB:
Chris Wells/Ohio State: Underclassmen leave Columbus with regularity and Wells will be no exception. A number of people have told us he will opt for the draft after the team's bowl game and most scouts feel as we do- Wells will be the first back drafted.
Knowshon Moreno/Georgia: Like his quarterback Moreno is almost certainly headed for the NFL at seasons end. A number of sources alerted us to this months ago.
LeSean McCoy/Pittsburgh: The scales are tilted that McCoy will enter the draft after the season. Several sources have confirmed this.
Shonn Greene/Iowa: Greene is almost certain to enter the draft after his brilliant campaign. His combination of size and speed have scouts excited though many are concerned about his inexperience.
Donald Brown/UConn: The Husky back will explore all his options but is leaning towards entering the draft, and why not? This could be hastened if coach Randy Edsall takes another job.
C.J. Spiller/Clemson: Many in Greeneville we've spoken with have told us Spiller is likely to enter the draft, which would be a surprise considering the injuries and inconsistent play this year.
WR:
Michael Crabtree/Texas Tech: College football's most dominant receiver will enter the draft, according to sources. He's a top ten selection and the faster he runs the earlier he will be drafted.
Jeremy Maclin/Missouri: Maclin is another Big 12 underclassman receiver who will leave for the draft. He's expected to receive a first round grade from the advisory committee.
Darius Heyward-Bey/Maryland: Heyward-Bey is likely on his way to the NFL according to sources. His production has picked up recently after a slow start and Heyward-Bey is expected to be one of the fastest receivers in next April's draft.
Percy Harvin/Florida: Harvin will explore his options but most familiar with the UF program feel he will enter the draft.
-
english's measurables look good. i'd like to see him in a game.
everette brown's three-game stretch is something i've heard quite a bit about. he definitely has the ability to be dominant, he needs needs to be consistent. against boston college, he didn't show up while i was watching.
forgot that selvie's been hurt. is probably good for us: gives us a better chance to snag him.
i agree that we need someone big inside with d'qwell. laurinaitis isn't that guy.
i like seeing reports on people like english, guys who aren't from big-time programs. LB and RB are the positions i think it's most likely to find late-round steals for. let's hope bell can be one of those steals and let us concentrate on safety and pass rush in the first two rounds this year.
english's measurables look good.
SI's got some great info:
Larry English/DE-OLB/Northern Illinois: The Huskies' dynamic pass rusher has impressed scouts the past two years with his ability to disrupt the action. English, a terrific athlete, is expected to light up the combine next February with his workout. His play late in the game last week against Central Michigan helped spur an NIU comeback that forced the game into overtime.
-
Everybody I have talked to seem to feel Harvin will declare after this season.
-
Maybe a way to defuse all the negativity on these boards is to look ahead to the draft.
What negativity? We're in the playoff hunt and going to kick some Texan arse this weekend!
-
What are his measurables like? I always thought he was too small. Then again, I thought Steve Slaton was too small and he's tearing it up for the Texans.
Harvin's listed at 5'11", 195 lbs. Slaton measured in a 5'9", 197 lbs. at the Combine (I also thought he was too small for the NFL).
However, one key difference is that Harvin projects more to receiver in the NFL. And not only does he lack experience playing wideout full-time; scouts also question whether he's strong enough to effectively break the jam.
Add in the durability issue, and you've got some major concerns there. I still like Harvin, but I definitely understand why his ceiling seems to be mid-late Round 1.
Then again, a low 4.30's 40 at the Combine could change things...
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login
