Skip to content

Cowher says no

The Browns Board
39 19 3.9k
  • @gips said:

    Im under the impression that no quality GM or HC types are going to want to work under randy lerner and his absentee ownership only appearing to hire and fire with no real football man ethics or philosophy who in their right mind other than an upstart like savage or crennel would dare stake their future to such an idiot owner?

    Actually you would think a good GM would think that to be an ideal situation. No owner to meddle around in your affairs as a GM. No Al Davis. An owner that lets you do your job without trying to influence you. Why would they not like that?

    @pumpkin-eater said:

    Actually you would think a good GM would think that to be an ideal situation. No owner to meddle around in your affairs as a GM. No Al Davis. An owner that lets you do your job without trying to influence you. Why would they not like that?

    Exactly.

    Places I think they would want to avoid would be Washington, Oakland...in fact, here is a list of the bottom 17 owners in the NFL:

    Worst Owners

    Lerner comes in 20th...

    20. Cleveland Browns – Randy Lerner: Some people in Cleveland, noting the promise displayed by the organization last season, might argue that Lerner should be higher on this list. I would argue that Lerner probably isn’t one of those people. Chances are, he’ll read this and shrug. He seems far more concerned with Aston Villa, the soccer team he owns in the English Premier League, and the frequent trips to London that gig necessitates. Perhaps because his late father, Al, was such a prominent figure in Cleveland – or perhaps because it’s, you know, Cleveland – the younger Lerner doesn’t appear to share the same enthusiasm for the home of the Browns. Lerner recently hired former league employee Mike Keenan as president, finally filling the job that opened after John Collins lost out to general manager Phil Savage in a power struggle in 2005. He also refuted a rumor that he’s moving to London fulltime to be Villa’s CEO. In terms of NFL dealings, one owner says of Lerner, “He’s not very decisive. Whoever gets to him last has got him, and he leads the way in terms of manipulating the revenue-sharing agreement to his advantage. It’s very disappointing.

    So his bad traits are he is hands off...and that he manipulates the revenue-sharing to his advantage. Whaaa!

  • @ytownbrownsbacker said:

    Second, Cowher has said on more then one occasion that he would never coach the Browns or any team in the AFC North as long as the Rooneys still owned the Steelers. He said it was about the respect that he has for the Rooneys.

    While I do not think Cowher is coming here, I present to you that Saban vehemently denied taking the 'Bama job while in Miami - under contract.

    @vegasdogg said:

    While I do not think Cowher is coming here, I present to you that Saban vehemently denied taking the 'Bama job while in Miami - under contract.

    Thanks for the meaningless anecdote. You're not seriously comparing the character of Bill Cowher to that of Nick Saban are you? When Cowher says something, I believe it. When Saban does, I bet on the exact opposite.

  • @hiwaygal said:

    That's the part that bothers me. If the man can't make a decision and his key people know that "whoever gets to him last has got him"...well, all they need to do is wait long enough to have his ear then they know they'll get what they want. In the meantime things back at the farm are going to hell in a handbasket.

    I've had bosses like that and they suck.

    Hands off is good (it takes someone extra 'special' to like micro-managers) but wishy-washy, spineless flip-floppers are useless.

    That's true too. It could be because of his limited knowledge.

  • Bernie Kosar HC

    Clay Matthews DC

    Brian Sipe OC

    Wooo Hooo !!! 😆

    ........ what the heck, Michael Dean Perry as Special Teams Coach !!!!!!

  • wait till the end of the season.

    See who are all the coaches available at that time. then decide.

  • @vegasdogg said:

    While I do not think Cowher is coming here, I present to you that Saban vehemently denied taking the 'Bama job while in Miami - under contract.

    Thanks for the meaningless anecdote. You're not seriously comparing the character of Bill Cowher to that of Nick Saban are you? When Cowher says something, I believe it. When Saban does, I bet on the exact opposite.

    mz. said:

    Thanks for the meaningless anecdote. You're not seriously comparing the character of Bill Cowher to that of Nick Saban are you? When Cowher says something, I believe it. When Saban does, I bet on the exact opposite.

    I have heard enough BS from every coach in the NFL and NCAA to know that your misguided belief in Cowher's words is Naïveté at its finest.

  • mz. said:

    Thanks for the meaningless anecdote. You're not seriously comparing the character of Bill Cowher to that of Nick Saban are you? When Cowher says something, I believe it. When Saban does, I bet on the exact opposite.

    I have heard enough BS from every coach in the NFL and NCAA to know that your misguided belief in Cowher's words is Naïveté at its finest.

    @vegasdogg said:

    I have heard enough BS from every coach in the NFL and NCAA to know that your misguided belief in Cowher's words is Naïveté at its finest.

    Yeah, Bill Cowher (by all accounts a stand-up guy and a class act) is going to make a promise to his employer of what, 15 years?, that he would never coach the Browns, or any team in the AFC North as long as they still owned the Steelers, and break it to take over this mess? Please, bro, this isn't Nick Saban talking here...sorry you've become so jaded.

    Guess I'm just being naive here, Desert Dawg.

  • @vegasdogg said:

    I have heard enough BS from every coach in the NFL and NCAA to know that your misguided belief in Cowher's words is Naïveté at its finest.

    Yeah, Bill Cowher (by all accounts a stand-up guy and a class act) is going to make a promise to his employer of what, 15 years?, that he would never coach the Browns, or any team in the AFC North as long as they still owned the Steelers, and break it to take over this mess? Please, bro, this isn't Nick Saban talking here...sorry you've become so jaded.

    Guess I'm just being naive here, Desert Dawg.

    mz. said:

    Yeah, Bill Cowher (by all accounts a stand-up guy and a class act) is going to make a promise to his employer of what, 15 years?, that he would never coach the Browns, or any team in the AFC North as long as they still owned the Steelers, and break it to take over this mess? Please, bro, this isn't Nick Saban talking here...sorry you've become so jaded.

    Guess I'm just being naive here, Desert Dawg.

    I never said Cowher was taking the job did I? In fact I have stated over and over he is not taking the job, asswipe. I said I don't believe any coach when he says "I will NOT be coaching next season."

    I have been civil on this board and if you want to start shit take it to PM.

  • some people actually put stock in their word....and cowher, thankfully, is one of them.

  • I don't want to start anything. I just felt the need to call out your ridiculous statement what I saw it, which, ironically, is pretty much what you thrive on around these parts.

    Asswipe?

  • Im under the impression that no quality GM or HC types are going to want to work under randy lerner and his absentee ownership only appearing to hire and fire with no real football man ethics or philosophy who in their right mind other than an upstart like savage or crennel would dare stake their future to such an idiot owner?

    @gips said:

    Im under the impression that no quality GM or HC types are going to want to work under randy lerner and his absentee ownership only appearing to hire and fire with no real football man ethics or philosophy who in their right mind other than an upstart like savage or crennel would dare stake their future to such an idiot owner?

    I would think just the opposite. Why wouldn't a GM want to come to a team where he has say so in most football operations and is provided the money he needs. Lerner has never closed the purse strings and he doesn't interfere in the football decisions of the staff.

    Hell, I wish my boss would give me the tools and money I need, go away, and then judge me on the bottom line at years end.

  • I don't want to start anything. I just felt the need to call out your ridiculous statement what I saw it, which, ironically, is pretty much what you thrive on around these parts.

    Asswipe?

    mz. said:

    I don't want to start anything.

    Yeah right.

    🙄

  • some people actually put stock in their word....and cowher, thankfully, is one of them.

    @choco said:

    some people actually put stock in their word....and cowher, thankfully, is one of them.

    And then there are others who put cock in their mouth... and you, thankfully are one of them.

  • With all the speculation about bringing in Cowher next year, it's time for a reality check.

    First, the browns have not contacted Cowher. That has been reported by the Browns and by ESPN who talked to Cowher.

    Second, Cowher has said on more then one occasion that he would never coach the Browns or any team in the AFC North as long as the Rooneys still owned the Steelers. He said it was about the respect that he has for the Rooneys.

    So, please move on. He obviously isn't a consideration.

    Know, are you looking for a retread or a up and coming assistant. Retreads usually end up being just that. Forget about Marty, and Green and Billick. They were fired for a reason and it usually was because they weren't winning.

    New coaches that are winning in the NFL aren't the 30 year assistants, like Crennel and Nolan. Take a look around the league, Sean Payton, Zorn, Harbaugh, Mangini.

    My vote goes for Spagnola. I don't want a college coach or a retread. I want a young energenic guy that will come in here and put a kick ass defense on the field. Someone who won't play a prevent defense in the 2nd quarter.

    @ytownbrownsbacker said:

    With all the speculation about bringing in Cowher next year, it's time for a reality check.

    First, the browns have not contacted Cowher. That has been reported by the Browns and by ESPN who talked to Cowher.

    Second, Cowher has said on more then one occasion that he would never coach the Browns or any team in the AFC North as long as the Rooneys still owned the Steelers. He said it was about the respect that he has for the Rooneys.

    So, please move on. He obviously isn't a consideration.

    Know, are you looking for a retread or a up and coming assistant. Retreads usually end up being just that. Forget about Marty, and Green and Billick. They were fired for a reason and it usually was because they weren't winning.

    New coaches that are winning in the NFL aren't the 30 year assistants, like Crennel and Nolan. Take a look around the league, Sean Payton, Zorn, Harbaugh, Mangini.

    My vote goes for Spagnola. I don't want a college coach or a retread. I want a young energenic guy that will come in here and put a kick ass defense on the field. Someone who won't play a prevent defense in the 2nd quarter.

    I like your thinking Ytown about Cowher at least........it is hilariious to think he is coming here to work for our loser buffoon SEWAGE..............as far as coaches do not throw college guys under the bus.........winners are winners and the level of coaching is not the issue it is about getting players to play big and have schemes to help them

    sumitimes I think the most overrated crap is assistants working for big time head coaches...................duh Crennel and Weis

  • cowher does not owe the rooneys anything,business now adays is we pay you for your services ,espically it seems that way in th nfl.forget the loyal crap.

    the steelers always did loose good players once they peaked because they wont pay,same with cowher he want's paid as a top teir coach period..

    8 or 9 mill. he might just come..

    not my first post had to re-register..

  • Bill Cowher wouldn't wipe his ass with Phil Sewage let alone work for him.

    PULLLLLEEEZE, can we stop being stupid here?

    NO QUALITY candidate will work for Phil Sewage FORGET ABOUT IT.

  • @choco said:

    some people actually put stock in their word....and cowher, thankfully, is one of them.

    And then there are others who put cock in their mouth... and you, thankfully are one of them.

    @pl4tinum said:

    And then there are others who put cock in their mouth... and you, thankfully are one of them.

    wow aren't you clever.....and pathetically lame. whats the matter, someone fuck your sister with a broomstick? jealous, eh?

  • Bull Hockey, money always opens the doors to contract talks, If Lerner was to offer 10 Mil a year with Garanteed money Cowher would be here tomorow!

    money.jpg

    Cowher will be using 100 dollar bills to light his cigars!

  • the browns made me do it.

  • Bernie Kosar HC

    Clay Matthews DC

    Brian Sipe OC

    Wooo Hooo !!! 😆

    ........ what the heck, Michael Dean Perry as Special Teams Coach !!!!!!

    @kosarfan said:

    Bernie Kosar HC

    Clay Matthews DC

    Brian Sipe OC

    Wooo Hooo !!! 😆

    ........ what the heck, Michael Dean Perry as Special Teams Coach !!!!!!

    We had folks wanting Joe Greene for HC... the Old Stars are usually NOT the Answer.... Though I respect Kosar..... He could be ok.