Hire Urban Meyer and Flyod Reece
-
I would pay Charley Casserly some of my own $ to come be our GM. He is great on CBS' pregame show.
mz. said:
I would pay Charley Casserly some of my own $ to come be our GM. He is great on CBS' pregame show.Casserly, the guy who was the Houston GM when they drafted Mario Williams, couldn't deal with the fans hating on him and quit? No thanks... Turns out he made a decent decision. Young and Bush aren't exactly tearing things up.
-
The Browns need changes at both GM and head coach, does anyone really believe that Cowher wants to come into this mess that Crennel and Savage has created when he can have a job of his choice?
I don't want to hire another assistant coach with no track record as a head coach, how many times have we seen these great coordinators fail when they become the head coach, yes Spagnola (sp) McDaniel, Rex Ryan and others are top coordinators but they have not been the head man.
I say a guy like Urban Meyer who has turned every team he has coached into a winner and looks like he is about to win his 2nd NCAA Championship, Meyer is ready to be a head coach in the NFL he is also very innovative something this team needs and personality wise he is the total opposite of RAC
Now lets get a experienced GM in here and quit making the Browns the Detroit Lions of the AFC, Reece can get the front office in order and he also has many years experience as a NFL GM with the Titans.
Sorry people Phil Savage is a glorified scout and not a GM and for all the pro Savage people who want to mention how he upgraded the roster from Butchies days well with 2 draft choices in the top 3 and close to 150 million in free agent money to spend on free agents who could not have upgraded the talent, but look what Savae got for all the money he spent and it does not look very good and I won't get started on his draft picks which for where the Browns were drafting have not been what you would expect.
Please lets not hear any Mr. Sweatervest Jim Tressel talk about being head coach, I think Tressell has proven he can't make in game adjustments or beat anyone outside the Big Ten and this is the same guy who thinks the punt is a good offensive play.
The Browns need changes at both GM and head coach, does anyone really believe that Cowher wants to come into this mess that Crennel and Savage has created when he can have a job of his choice?
I don't want to hire another assistant coach with no track record as a head coach, how many times have we seen these great coordinators fail when they become the head coach, yes Spagnola (sp) McDaniel, Rex Ryan and others are top coordinators but they have not been the head man.
I say a guy like Urban Meyer who has turned every team he has coached into a winner and looks like he is about to win his 2nd NCAA Championship, Meyer is ready to be a head coach in the NFL he is also very innovative something this team needs and personality wise he is the total opposite of RAC
Now lets get a experienced GM in here and quit making the Browns the Detroit Lions of the AFC, Reece can get the front office in order and he also has many years experience as a NFL GM with the Titans.
Sorry people Phil Savage is a glorified scout and not a GM and for all the pro Savage people who want to mention how he upgraded the roster from Butchies days well with 2 draft choices in the top 3 and close to 150 million in free agent money to spend on free agents who could not have upgraded the talent, but look what Savae got for all the money he spent and it does not look very good and I won't get started on his draft picks which for where the Browns were drafting have not been what you would expect.
Please lets not hear any Mr. Sweatervest Jim Tressel talk about being head coach, I think Tressell has proven he can't make in game adjustments or beat anyone outside the Big Ten and this is the same guy who thinks the punt is a good offensive play.
Great post...............I like the Urban Meyer idea.........NOT THE FLOYD REESE IDEA.........To me Tennessee has improved the last two years without Reese
As far as Tressel is too sad you throw him under the bus for having the best record of all coaches in football the last 23 years..............but heh do what you wish because he lost two successive National Championship games when no one even plays in two straight.........too cool
But I do like your thinking about SEWAGE he is totally useless
-
mz. said:
I would pay Charley Casserly some of my own $ to come be our GM. He is great on CBS' pregame show.Casserly, the guy who was the Houston GM when they drafted Mario Williams, couldn't deal with the fans hating on him and quit? No thanks... Turns out he made a decent decision. Young and Bush aren't exactly tearing things up.
-
Well the least Casserly could have done was fire off a f@#$ you e-mail... lol
-
Well the least Casserly could have done was fire off a f@#$ you e-mail... lol

Instead of doing that, he's going around bragging about a decision that wasn't his.
Here's an interview of Casserly from earlier this year:
What was the single most difficult decision you had to make as a GM?
Well it was probably the last one I ever made โ taking Mario Williams as the number one overall pick in Houston in the 2006 draft. It came down to three names: Vince Young, Reggie Bush and Mario Williams. The popular pick was Vince Young. The second popular pick was Reggie Bush. And nobody wanted us to take Mario Williams. But we thought it was the right decision. We did it. And I think now, after Marioโs successful season, people are starting to see why we made that decision.
-
-
Yeah, I'm trying to find the article where I first read that it wasn't Casserly's pick.
-
mz. said:
I would pay Charley Casserly some of my own $ to come be our GM. He is great on CBS' pregame show.You want to hire a guy because he sounds good on the TV?
You want to hire a guy because he sounds good on the TV?
The TV comment was obviously (well, maybe not) tongue-in-cheek.
Casserly had an outstanding career with the 'Skins, and learned from one of the best (Bobby Beathard). I don't see much to not like here.
-
urban meyer isn't an NFL head coach. he's creative, but his offense is purely a college one. NFL players are too fast and smart to fall for the kind of misdirection he relies upon to have success. he'd be another spurrier in the NFL: someone who shouldn't have left college because their style of play isn't made for the NFL.
-
You want to hire a guy because he sounds good on the TV?
The TV comment was obviously (well, maybe not) tongue-in-cheek.
Casserly had an outstanding career with the 'Skins, and learned from one of the best (Bobby Beathard). I don't see much to not like here.
mz. said:
The TV comment was obviously (well, maybe not) tongue-in-cheek.Casserly had an outstanding career with the 'Skins, and learned from one of the best (Bobby Beathard). I don't see much to not like here.
In retrospect Casserly did the right thing in chosing Mario Williams and he was road kill because of that
-
I'm surprised I can't find the original article, but here's Houston Chronicle reporter/columnist Richard Justice:
[You have your facts wrong. Charley Casserly didn't pick Mario Williams. Gary Kubiak did.--Richard]
It makes intuitive sense. After another horrible season, everyone knew that Casserly was about to get fired. If so, why would the owner let him decide who to take with the #1 overall pick?
What the owner did do was allow Casserly to take the heat for Kubiak's decision to make the unpopular choice. For that, Casserly does deserve a little credit.
-
I'm surprised I can't find the original article, but here's Houston Chronicle reporter/columnist Richard Justice:
[You have your facts wrong. Charley Casserly didn't pick Mario Williams. Gary Kubiak did.--Richard]
It makes intuitive sense. After another horrible season, everyone knew that Casserly was about to get fired. If so, why would the owner let him decide who to take with the #1 overall pick?
What the owner did do was allow Casserly to take the heat for Kubiak's decision to make the unpopular choice. For that, Casserly does deserve a little credit.
Aloysius said:
It makes intuitive sense. After another horrible season, everyone knew that Casserly was about to get fired. If so, why would the owner let him decide who to take with the #1 overall pick?You're right, it does make intuitive sense, but this is the first time I've heard this, that's all.
-
Urban Meyer is an interesting suggestion. I can understand the hesitance about him succeeding in the NFL. However, he is a fiery and intelligent coach. With the right coordinators around him, I think he could succeed. He is also from Ashtabula originally, so he may be a Browns fan. Although, as someone pointed out, he probably has no plans to jump to the NFL. He has a great job without the pressure of being an NFL coach, and his winters are a hell of a lot warmer where he is.
-
Watch him turn into Spurrier and Saban...no thanks
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better ๐
Register Login