Official Draft Thread
-
trade down about 10 spots on the first to pick up an additional second rounder.
-
'Peen....I think you are suffering from REVERSE HOMERISM!!!
LOL.....maybe so.
Like I said...I think DA is worth a higher pick....it is all going to depend on how other teams feel and who else might be on the market, but as I have said on several occasions....DA is going to be a good qb in this league
If we got a 3rd rounder, I would consider that fair compensation.
-
I am still not getting all this mass media idea of us going for a CB in the early rounds. Our 2 young guys have done a pretty decent job considering we get ZERO pressure on opposing QB's...and they are constantly needed in run support. Plus, we should be getting Daven Holly (only year 5 next year, so still young) back next year...allowing McDonald to go to the slot...or if McDonald wins...then Holly can go slot.
Our needs, in order of importance to me, are:
ILB - With a true run stuffer we free up our S's for blitzing packages...and for over the top coverages.
OLB/S - This depends on 2 players on our team. If Hall is showing the improvement to become the bookend....then OLB is not as important. If Jones gets resigned, S is not as important. Personally, I don't think Jones is coming back, so I believe that S is a very important position for us. If we can get a head-banger like Polamalu...he can improve our blitz packages as well as the run support....thereby giving our corners better opportunities.
RG/C - We have a major weakness here. Tucker is great...but old. Hadnot will probably fill one of these positions...depending which position we fill. I prefer the RG spot.
WR/RB - Again, a lot depends on the guys we have in house. Is Hubbard a bust? Is Harrison a viable option? If either of these can step up it allows us to go the other direction.
With all that said, and seeing how the draft is lining up right now (plenty will change) along with the FA's available....
ILB - I like Curry in the draft. Maualagu may work as we have a fast guy in DQ for coverage. In FA, an interesting option is Channing Crowder, Miami. He is 6'2" 250, has 89 tackles (69 solo) and 4 PDef on the 11th ranked rush defense. The Dolphins are playing a 3-4 since Parcells came aboard and Channing is doing well.
OLB/S - As I said, I think S is probably the way we end up going here. Jones is going to ask for too much. I see us going in round 2 for this...and that means we likely end up with Chung. His only drawback is size (6' 210)....and he is bigger than Polamalu (5'10" 207). He has a motor....hits bigger than he is (like Troy)....and has good coverage skills. In FA there are some really great options...but likely none of them leave their teams. If we go OLB, I LOVE Orakpo...but he would be 1st round material and I am not sure of any 2nd rounders here.
RG/C - At center, I think AQ Shipley out of Penn State may be a steel. He isn't a GREAT athlete, but is a road grader type that won't get blown up by the DT/NT's in the AFC North. He would be a nice 3rd/4th round pick. That would allow Hadnot to move to RG along with Tucker. I also think Eric Young, T will be making an impact on this team next year.
WR/RB - Don't be surprised if Sanders/Steptoe suddenly make an impact next year. They spent the entire preseason this past year with BQ and will have another one this year. Sanders has good size...and Steptoe is a perfect slot guy. I really don't see us going for a WR this draft unless we get picks to burn from trading DA/K2. Rucker and Hubbard are also likely to make an impact here...so I just don't see it. RB, however, is a position we need. I think we get away from the BIG guy...but there really aren't a lot of the 6'1" 215 prototypes available this year. Jennings and Lucky are two guys that interest me....but Lucky moreso due to his size and great hands. Combining him with Harrison would give defenses fits as it would not give an indication if it was run or pass no matter who was in the backfield.
Anyway, there is my book as of 12/5/08. I am sure it will change over the coming months...
-
I am still not getting all this mass media idea of us going for a CB in the early rounds. Our 2 young guys have done a pretty decent job considering we get ZERO pressure on opposing QB's...and they are constantly needed in run support. Plus, we should be getting Daven Holly (only year 5 next year, so still young) back next year...allowing McDonald to go to the slot...or if McDonald wins...then Holly can go slot.
Our needs, in order of importance to me, are:
ILB - With a true run stuffer we free up our S's for blitzing packages...and for over the top coverages.
OLB/S - This depends on 2 players on our team. If Hall is showing the improvement to become the bookend....then OLB is not as important. If Jones gets resigned, S is not as important. Personally, I don't think Jones is coming back, so I believe that S is a very important position for us. If we can get a head-banger like Polamalu...he can improve our blitz packages as well as the run support....thereby giving our corners better opportunities.
RG/C - We have a major weakness here. Tucker is great...but old. Hadnot will probably fill one of these positions...depending which position we fill. I prefer the RG spot.
WR/RB - Again, a lot depends on the guys we have in house. Is Hubbard a bust? Is Harrison a viable option? If either of these can step up it allows us to go the other direction.
With all that said, and seeing how the draft is lining up right now (plenty will change) along with the FA's available....
ILB - I like Curry in the draft. Maualagu may work as we have a fast guy in DQ for coverage. In FA, an interesting option is Channing Crowder, Miami. He is 6'2" 250, has 89 tackles (69 solo) and 4 PDef on the 11th ranked rush defense. The Dolphins are playing a 3-4 since Parcells came aboard and Channing is doing well.
OLB/S - As I said, I think S is probably the way we end up going here. Jones is going to ask for too much. I see us going in round 2 for this...and that means we likely end up with Chung. His only drawback is size (6' 210)....and he is bigger than Polamalu (5'10" 207). He has a motor....hits bigger than he is (like Troy)....and has good coverage skills. In FA there are some really great options...but likely none of them leave their teams. If we go OLB, I LOVE Orakpo...but he would be 1st round material and I am not sure of any 2nd rounders here.
RG/C - At center, I think AQ Shipley out of Penn State may be a steel. He isn't a GREAT athlete, but is a road grader type that won't get blown up by the DT/NT's in the AFC North. He would be a nice 3rd/4th round pick. That would allow Hadnot to move to RG along with Tucker. I also think Eric Young, T will be making an impact on this team next year.
WR/RB - Don't be surprised if Sanders/Steptoe suddenly make an impact next year. They spent the entire preseason this past year with BQ and will have another one this year. Sanders has good size...and Steptoe is a perfect slot guy. I really don't see us going for a WR this draft unless we get picks to burn from trading DA/K2. Rucker and Hubbard are also likely to make an impact here...so I just don't see it. RB, however, is a position we need. I think we get away from the BIG guy...but there really aren't a lot of the 6'1" 215 prototypes available this year. Jennings and Lucky are two guys that interest me....but Lucky moreso due to his size and great hands. Combining him with Harrison would give defenses fits as it would not give an indication if it was run or pass no matter who was in the backfield.
Anyway, there is my book as of 12/5/08. I am sure it will change over the coming months...
we should be getting Daven Holly (only year 5 next year, so still young) back next year...allowing McDonald to go to the slot...or if McDonald wins...then Holly can go slot.
Couldn't agree more. I'm OK with Wright, McDonald, Holly back there...for now.
That's why I'd advocate drafting whomever's left of Curry/Maualuga/Mays in round 1 and perhaps a RB (Spiller/Davis?? Don't know their "grades" offhand) in round two.
OR
(bite my tongue) Chris Wells in round one and hope a guy like George Selvie/Brian Cushing/Clay Jr./etc. is there in round two. Hopefully, for us, Cushing will experience a Poz/Connor-style drop in the draft.

-
cushing's round one all the way. dude has way too much talent to go anywhere else. he's been consistently solid every time i've seen USC play and has flashes of ridiculous brilliance.
injuries are the only thing that can stop him, and he's had his share, but someone will believe they can either keep him healthy or it'll be worth it to have him on the field for a max of fourteen games every season, more likely eight to twelve, kind of like bob sanders.
i bet most people who aren't ardent browns followers don't know how good our corners are, and therefore expect us to need an upgrade.
-
I am still not getting all this mass media idea of us going for a CB in the early rounds. Our 2 young guys have done a pretty decent job considering we get ZERO pressure on opposing QB's...and they are constantly needed in run support. Plus, we should be getting Daven Holly (only year 5 next year, so still young) back next year...allowing McDonald to go to the slot...or if McDonald wins...then Holly can go slot.
Our needs, in order of importance to me, are:
ILB - With a true run stuffer we free up our S's for blitzing packages...and for over the top coverages.
OLB/S - This depends on 2 players on our team. If Hall is showing the improvement to become the bookend....then OLB is not as important. If Jones gets resigned, S is not as important. Personally, I don't think Jones is coming back, so I believe that S is a very important position for us. If we can get a head-banger like Polamalu...he can improve our blitz packages as well as the run support....thereby giving our corners better opportunities.
RG/C - We have a major weakness here. Tucker is great...but old. Hadnot will probably fill one of these positions...depending which position we fill. I prefer the RG spot.
WR/RB - Again, a lot depends on the guys we have in house. Is Hubbard a bust? Is Harrison a viable option? If either of these can step up it allows us to go the other direction.
With all that said, and seeing how the draft is lining up right now (plenty will change) along with the FA's available....
ILB - I like Curry in the draft. Maualagu may work as we have a fast guy in DQ for coverage. In FA, an interesting option is Channing Crowder, Miami. He is 6'2" 250, has 89 tackles (69 solo) and 4 PDef on the 11th ranked rush defense. The Dolphins are playing a 3-4 since Parcells came aboard and Channing is doing well.
OLB/S - As I said, I think S is probably the way we end up going here. Jones is going to ask for too much. I see us going in round 2 for this...and that means we likely end up with Chung. His only drawback is size (6' 210)....and he is bigger than Polamalu (5'10" 207). He has a motor....hits bigger than he is (like Troy)....and has good coverage skills. In FA there are some really great options...but likely none of them leave their teams. If we go OLB, I LOVE Orakpo...but he would be 1st round material and I am not sure of any 2nd rounders here.
RG/C - At center, I think AQ Shipley out of Penn State may be a steel. He isn't a GREAT athlete, but is a road grader type that won't get blown up by the DT/NT's in the AFC North. He would be a nice 3rd/4th round pick. That would allow Hadnot to move to RG along with Tucker. I also think Eric Young, T will be making an impact on this team next year.
WR/RB - Don't be surprised if Sanders/Steptoe suddenly make an impact next year. They spent the entire preseason this past year with BQ and will have another one this year. Sanders has good size...and Steptoe is a perfect slot guy. I really don't see us going for a WR this draft unless we get picks to burn from trading DA/K2. Rucker and Hubbard are also likely to make an impact here...so I just don't see it. RB, however, is a position we need. I think we get away from the BIG guy...but there really aren't a lot of the 6'1" 215 prototypes available this year. Jennings and Lucky are two guys that interest me....but Lucky moreso due to his size and great hands. Combining him with Harrison would give defenses fits as it would not give an indication if it was run or pass no matter who was in the backfield.
Anyway, there is my book as of 12/5/08. I am sure it will change over the coming months...
I am still not getting all this mass media idea of us going for a CB in the early rounds. Our 2 young guys have done a pretty decent job considering we get ZERO pressure on opposing QB's...and they are constantly needed in run support. Plus, we should be getting Daven Holly (only year 5 next year, so still young) back next year...allowing McDonald to go to the slot...or if McDonald wins...then Holly can go slot.
Our needs, in order of importance to me, are:
ILB - With a true run stuffer we free up our S's for blitzing packages...and for over the top coverages.
OLB/S - This depends on 2 players on our team. If Hall is showing the improvement to become the bookend....then OLB is not as important. If Jones gets resigned, S is not as important. Personally, I don't think Jones is coming back, so I believe that S is a very important position for us. If we can get a head-banger like Polamalu...he can improve our blitz packages as well as the run support....thereby giving our corners better opportunities.
RG/C - We have a major weakness here. Tucker is great...but old. Hadnot will probably fill one of these positions...depending which position we fill. I prefer the RG spot.
WR/RB - Again, a lot depends on the guys we have in house. Is Hubbard a bust? Is Harrison a viable option? If either of these can step up it allows us to go the other direction.
With all that said, and seeing how the draft is lining up right now (plenty will change) along with the FA's available....
ILB - I like Curry in the draft. Maualagu may work as we have a fast guy in DQ for coverage. In FA, an interesting option is Channing Crowder, Miami. He is 6'2" 250, has 89 tackles (69 solo) and 4 PDef on the 11th ranked rush defense. The Dolphins are playing a 3-4 since Parcells came aboard and Channing is doing well.
OLB/S - As I said, I think S is probably the way we end up going here. Jones is going to ask for too much. I see us going in round 2 for this...and that means we likely end up with Chung. His only drawback is size (6' 210)....and he is bigger than Polamalu (5'10" 207). He has a motor....hits bigger than he is (like Troy)....and has good coverage skills. In FA there are some really great options...but likely none of them leave their teams. If we go OLB, I LOVE Orakpo...but he would be 1st round material and I am not sure of any 2nd rounders here.
RG/C - At center, I think AQ Shipley out of Penn State may be a steel. He isn't a GREAT athlete, but is a road grader type that won't get blown up by the DT/NT's in the AFC North. He would be a nice 3rd/4th round pick. That would allow Hadnot to move to RG along with Tucker. I also think Eric Young, T will be making an impact on this team next year.
WR/RB - Don't be surprised if Sanders/Steptoe suddenly make an impact next year. They spent the entire preseason this past year with BQ and will have another one this year. Sanders has good size...and Steptoe is a perfect slot guy. I really don't see us going for a WR this draft unless we get picks to burn from trading DA/K2. Rucker and Hubbard are also likely to make an impact here...so I just don't see it. RB, however, is a position we need. I think we get away from the BIG guy...but there really aren't a lot of the 6'1" 215 prototypes available this year. Jennings and Lucky are two guys that interest me....but Lucky moreso due to his size and great hands. Combining him with Harrison would give defenses fits as it would not give an indication if it was run or pass no matter who was in the backfield.
Anyway, there is my book as of 12/5/08. I am sure it will change over the coming months...
I agree with you 95%
-In the first round we need a guy like Rey, big hitter and just flat out gets to the RB. D'Q Jackson can be the cover guy, and we have Hall and Wimbley as our OLB's to me, simply putting in Rey Maualagu and starting hall seems like it would make everyone play better due to the fact that everyone can be focused on their job, instead of having to think about covering for everyone else.
-As you all know, I really like Rashad Jennings, at 6'2 235 with a great forty time, hes just a beast, and it looks as if pairing him with harrison would instantly improve our RB situation x2. This is why I think he should be drafted round 2 or three, wherver we can assuredly get him.
-Other pressing needs are a safety I think Jones will stay, and he is solid, but we need someone by his side, a safety like polamalu, there is that one safety from Miami that was looking pretty good in the late rounds.
-Other things that we can get scattered throughout the rest of the draft is a solid right tackle replacement for Tucker, because he keeps getting injured and what we have now dosent cut it, a solid DT, and a Big corner.
So I guess I would say our needs look something like:
1.ILB
2.RB
3.RT
4.S
5.DT
6.CB
-
cushing's round one all the way. dude has way too much talent to go anywhere else. he's been consistently solid every time i've seen USC play and has flashes of ridiculous brilliance.
injuries are the only thing that can stop him, and he's had his share, but someone will believe they can either keep him healthy or it'll be worth it to have him on the field for a max of fourteen games every season, more likely eight to twelve, kind of like bob sanders.
i bet most people who aren't ardent browns followers don't know how good our corners are, and therefore expect us to need an upgrade.
-
Just saw on DraftDaddy that WR Brian Hartline, OSU is going to opt for the draft. He is considered a 5th round draft choice and may be the Wes Welker type we could use??? I don't follow OSU that much, so anyone want to jump in?
-
if cushing goes into round 2, i'd be ecstatic to get him. he's a pro, now. he needs to live in a hyperbaric chamber when he's not playing.
hartline's had a quiet year, but can get open, knows how to sit down in a zone, and has dependable hands. he's not as shifty as welker and can't make people miss, but he can catch the ball. a #2.
-
FF Toolbox has a similar look to the one Alo posted earlier.
1. Chris Wells, RB, Ohio State
2. Clint Sintim, DE/OLB, Virginia
This guy has Cushing going 13th.
-
Michael Johnson's not going to be the 2nd pick in the draft, and Aaron Curry isn't going to slide to pick #31.
I do think he's right about Sam Bradford being the #1 pick (if he declares).
-
Just saw on DraftDaddy that WR Brian Hartline, OSU is going to opt for the draft. He is considered a 5th round draft choice and may be the Wes Welker type we could use??? I don't follow OSU that much, so anyone want to jump in?
Just saw on DraftDaddy that WR Brian Hartline, OSU is going to opt for the draft. He is considered a 5th round draft choice and may be the Wes Welker type we could use??? I don't follow OSU that much, so anyone want to jump in?
I'm hoping he goes, for some reason I just don't like that kid.
He'll be okay in the league, but he's nothing to even discuss, really. If anybody remembers Brian Stablein, this is he but a little taller and not as quick.
I want to see the younger blood at OSU like Devier Posey and Jake Stoneburner, it's time for Hartline to go.
-
someone that hasn't been mentioned in a while is george selvie, DE/OLB from USF. he's, physically, the embodiment of what a 3-4 OLB should be: big, fast, strong and a terror on the edge. i saw him play a couple times this year and he was double-teamed all game long. it should frustrate him enough to have him come out.
in 2007, when he wasn't being double-teamed all game, here are his stats: 45 Sol-58 TT, 31.5 TFL, 14.5 SK, 9 QBH, 3 FF, 1 BLK
2006: 54 Sol-84 TT, 14.5 TFL, 5.5 SK, 1 PBU, 9 QBH, 2 FR, 4 FF
he didn't miss a game in either of those years, but has been hampered by an ankle injury this year.
he's 6-4, 252 and runs a 40 that averages out to 4.72.
he's fallen off the radar a bit because he's been squeezed all year, but has the physical tools to make the leap. thoughts?
-
I only watched one USF game this season, and it was during the time in whiich Selvie was really hobbled by the ankle injury. I'll try to catch some USF highlights & see what I think.
According to nfldraftscout, Selvie's a Round 1 guy. If he slipped to Round 2, that'd certainly make things interesting for us.
-
Here's more of an explanation as to why Alex Mack's stock seems to be falling:
C Alex Mack, California (Sr.)
6-3 7⁄8, 310, 5.1e
Is smart, naturally strong, very tough and will grind defenders into the ground with the warrior’s mentality with which he plays. However, he does not always play to his size because his hips are so tightly wound that he struggles to bend, uncoil and stay on his feet, resulting in too much time on the ground. His lack of hip flexibility has left evaluators questioning his core functional football playing strength, which is very important when trying to match up with big-bodied pluggers. Should be a solid NFL starter but always could struggle handling massive widebodies.
-
especially with haloti ngata and casey hampton (and his eventual replacement) in our division, it begs the question of whether there ever be a center who's strong enough to handle massive DTs. it's almost like we need to find a exceptionally strong tackle and convert him to center.
-
[Mack]Should be a solid NFL starter but always could struggle handling massive widebodies.
Alo, I really dug your idea of drafting a new center, but we'd just be getting a guy with Fraley's issues. Didn't Hadnot play center for a bit in MIA? Perhaps he's worth a look there...
Thomas---Steinbach---Hadnot---Tucker/McKinney---anyone but Shaffer (perhaps Loadholt in Rd. 2?) might work...
-
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login