Skip to content

Nebraska to Big Ten

The Browns Board
31 12 3.7k
  • C CLEVELandMILIDH wrote on last edited by
    #5

    They know ND wont join, they have it to good why would they? If anything adding Nebraska would entice ND to join more.

    The Big Ten's not going to say no to the kinda money Nebraska will bring to the conference.

  • It ran across on ESPN that they have accepted the invitation

    and heres a article and Video

    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5268408

    rich4eagleR rich4eagle wrote on last edited by rich4eagle
    #6

    nmills said:

    It ran across on ESPN that they have accepted the invitation

    and heres a article and Video

    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5268408

    This is a good thing for the Big Ten........and if it is a done deal.........Missouri will be in as well. I would also expect the unknown shoe to drop is that Oklahoma and Oklahoma St come as well and Notre Dame...............WOW WHAT A CONFERENCE that would be.................too cool...........thanks in advance

    btw ND is between a rock and hard place................or just being irrelevant..........BIG Ten makes these deals .......ND sucks wind or joins................and they have sucked wind for ten years ............the NBC thang is over

  • nmills said:

    It ran across on ESPN that they have accepted the invitation

    and heres a article and Video

    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5268408

    This is a good thing for the Big Ten........and if it is a done deal.........Missouri will be in as well. I would also expect the unknown shoe to drop is that Oklahoma and Oklahoma St come as well and Notre Dame...............WOW WHAT A CONFERENCE that would be.................too cool...........thanks in advance

    btw ND is between a rock and hard place................or just being irrelevant..........BIG Ten makes these deals .......ND sucks wind or joins................and they have sucked wind for ten years ............the NBC thang is over

    C CLEVELandMILIDH wrote on last edited by
    #7

    @rich4eagle said:

    This is a good thing for the Big Ten........and if it is a done deal.........Missouri will be in as well. I would also expect the unknown shoe to drop is that Oklahoma and Oklahoma St come as well and Notre Dame...............WOW WHAT A CONFERENCE that would be.................too cool...........thanks in advance

    btw ND is between a rock and hard place................or just being irrelevant..........BIG Ten makes these deals .......ND sucks wind or joins................and they have sucked wind for ten years ............the NBC thang is over

    Its being reported that Oklahoma, Oklahoma St., Texas, Texas Tech, Texas A&M and Colorado will join the PAC 10

  • C CLEVELandMILIDH wrote on last edited by
    #8

    Zombo said:

    And then the ACC and Big East merge and we have four Super Conferences?

    I guess we are headed in that direction...

    Zombo

    atleast it would force them to have a playoff, you would think.

  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by ballpeen
    #9

    It's about time the Big 10 got with the program......now we can play cards. The Big 10 and Pac 10 have bodgered this thing up the last 15 years by insisting on maintaining the the Rose Bowl.

    Screw the NCAA......go to 16 team conferences, dump the NCAA and do it right. The SEC could easily add 4 quality teams....NC, Va, Clemson, Fla St come to mind( not to mention Ga Tech, Louisville, W Va, or VTech) if you don't include traditional southern teams out of Texas.....which makes some sense.....Texas and A&M seem SEC to me.

    It's time to move up and on.

  • A Alo wrote on last edited by
    #10

    Zombo said:

    And then the ACC and Big East merge and we have four Super Conferences?

    I guess we are headed in that direction...

    And that's the reason Notre Dame is considering joining the Big Ten; they don't want to be left behind when everyone else merges.

  • B BearcatBrownsFan13 wrote on last edited by
    #11

    All of this stuff makes me very nervous for my precious Bearcats

  • All of this stuff makes me very nervous for my precious Bearcats

    ThaakT Thaak wrote on last edited by
    #12

    @bearcatbrownsfan13 said:

    All of this stuff makes me very nervous for my precious Bearcats

    Why? They are a member of the Big East. I doubt they leave anytime soon.

  • ClevelandFanForLifeC ClevelandFanForLife wrote on last edited by ClevelandFanForLife
    #13

    If I'm the teams in the big ten right now (especially osu and psu) I worry about this. Nebraska may not be a power house but they are definately competitive. I think that Bo Pelini is a good coach and the huskers will be in the top ten in the next couple of years. It's better for the big ten if they join, but it should scare Jimmy T.

    Also, as a huge Notre Dame fan, let me just say that I would love to see the Irish join. It gives them a consistent schedule every year, it puts an end to the argument of "Notre Dame doesn't play anybody", they already play 3 or 4 big ten schools every year, and it gives them some identity. Also, I agree with Alo: the Irih may be getting nervous about being left out in the rain when these new "super conferences" emerge. They will want to be a part of that.

  • @bearcatbrownsfan13 said:

    All of this stuff makes me very nervous for my precious Bearcats

    Why? They are a member of the Big East. I doubt they leave anytime soon.

    B BearcatBrownsFan13 wrote on last edited by
    #14

    @thaak said:

    Why? They are a member of the Big East. I doubt they leave anytime soon.

    Not that they leave but that they will get left out and end up in a conference with no BCS ties

  • @thaak said:

    Why? They are a member of the Big East. I doubt they leave anytime soon.

    Not that they leave but that they will get left out and end up in a conference with no BCS ties

    ThaakT Thaak wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @bearcatbrownsfan13 said:

    Not that they leave but that they will get left out and end up in a conference with no BCS ties

    The Big East is contractually one of the 6 BCS conferences. I think the only way the Big East gets left out is, if, as a conference they continually score lower (on the new BCS conference formula) than say the Mountain West or the WAC.

  • It's about time the Big 10 got with the program......now we can play cards. The Big 10 and Pac 10 have bodgered this thing up the last 15 years by insisting on maintaining the the Rose Bowl.

    Screw the NCAA......go to 16 team conferences, dump the NCAA and do it right. The SEC could easily add 4 quality teams....NC, Va, Clemson, Fla St come to mind( not to mention Ga Tech, Louisville, W Va, or VTech) if you don't include traditional southern teams out of Texas.....which makes some sense.....Texas and A&M seem SEC to me.

    It's time to move up and on.

    Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @ballpeen said:

    It's about time the Big 10 got with the program......now we can play cards. The Big 10 and Pac 10 have bodgered this thing up the last 15 years by insisting on maintaining the the Rose Bowl.

    Screw the NCAA......go to 16 team conferences, dump the NCAA and do it right. The SEC could easily add 4 quality teams....NC, Va, Clemson, Fla St come to mind( not to mention Ga Tech, Louisville, W Va, or VTech) if you don't include traditional southern teams out of Texas.....which makes some sense.....Texas and A&M seem SEC to me.

    It's time to move up and on.

    Ballpeen-

    I have to disagree on your view. Traditions are dying everywhere- at least the Big 10/Pac 10 honored their agreement on the Rose Bowl as long as they could.

    Traditions have taken a back seat to money, what a surprise. I happen to take the opposite view, that the SEC & Big 12 actually hurt college football by having these conference championship games to grab $$ from Dr. Pepper.

    I could also see Texas & Texas A&M joining the SEC, but it will really screw some of those teams up who've never traveled more than 500 miles to play a football game (outside a bowl game). The SEC is tough indeed, but is certainly the most pampered conference in football, playing in pristine conditions all year, and then hardly budging from home for a bowl game.

    Gordon Gekko was wrong....greed is NOT good.

  • B Browns wrote on last edited by
    #17

    I heard that Oklahoma is trying to get into the SEC.

  • B Browns wrote on last edited by
    #18

    Texas and Texas A&M are going to the Big 10.

  • Texas and Texas A&M are going to the Big 10.

    C CLEVELandMILIDH wrote on last edited by
    #19

    suns said:

    Texas and Texas A&M are going to the Big 10.

    was that reported or is that your prediction?

  • suns said:

    Texas and Texas A&M are going to the Big 10.

    was that reported or is that your prediction?

    B Browns wrote on last edited by
    #20

    nmills said:

    was that reported or is that your prediction?

    Reported.

  • nmills said:

    was that reported or is that your prediction?

    Reported.

    C CLEVELandMILIDH wrote on last edited by
    #21

    suns said:

    Reported.

    is there a link

  • suns said:

    Reported.

    is there a link

    B Browns wrote on last edited by
    #22
  • A Alo wrote on last edited by Alo
    #23

    A Kansas City TV station reported the Texas teams are heading to the Big 10, but Chip Brown - the guy who's owned the realignment story - doesn't believe the report:

    Chip Brown said:

    There's a Kansas City TV report saying Texas and A&M to the Big Ten. That would be news to those schools.

    via here

    Chip Brown@ChipBrown247
    There's a Kansas City TV report saying Texas and A&M to the Big Ten. That would be news to those schools.

    Based on what I've read, it sounds like Notre Dame, Rutgers, Maryland, and Missouri are more likely Big 10 expansion schools. Texas and five other Big 12 teams are expected to head to the Pac 10.

  • @ballpeen said:

    It's about time the Big 10 got with the program......now we can play cards. The Big 10 and Pac 10 have bodgered this thing up the last 15 years by insisting on maintaining the the Rose Bowl.

    Screw the NCAA......go to 16 team conferences, dump the NCAA and do it right. The SEC could easily add 4 quality teams....NC, Va, Clemson, Fla St come to mind( not to mention Ga Tech, Louisville, W Va, or VTech) if you don't include traditional southern teams out of Texas.....which makes some sense.....Texas and A&M seem SEC to me.

    It's time to move up and on.

    Ballpeen-

    I have to disagree on your view. Traditions are dying everywhere- at least the Big 10/Pac 10 honored their agreement on the Rose Bowl as long as they could.

    Traditions have taken a back seat to money, what a surprise. I happen to take the opposite view, that the SEC & Big 12 actually hurt college football by having these conference championship games to grab $$ from Dr. Pepper.

    I could also see Texas & Texas A&M joining the SEC, but it will really screw some of those teams up who've never traveled more than 500 miles to play a football game (outside a bowl game). The SEC is tough indeed, but is certainly the most pampered conference in football, playing in pristine conditions all year, and then hardly budging from home for a bowl game.

    Gordon Gekko was wrong....greed is NOT good.

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #24

    @bob806 said:

    Ballpeen-

    I have to disagree on your view. Traditions are dying everywhere- at least the Big 10/Pac 10 honored their agreement on the Rose Bowl as long as they could.

    Traditions have taken a back seat to money, what a surprise. I happen to take the opposite view, that the SEC & Big 12 actually hurt college football by having these conference championship games to grab $$ from Dr. Pepper.

    I could also see Texas & Texas A&M joining the SEC, but it will really screw some of those teams up who've never traveled more than 500 miles to play a football game (outside a bowl game). The SEC is tough indeed, but is certainly the most pampered conference in football, playing in pristine conditions all year, and then hardly budging from home for a bowl game.

    Gordon Gekko was wrong....greed is NOT good.

    Well Bob, I like tradition as well. On a whole, I enjoy college football way more than the NFL. I can sit and watch all sorts of college games, but with the NFL, unless the Browns are involved, I rarely watch full games other than post season.

    It is what it is Bob....I don't think the SEC or Big 12 hurt anything.

    As for conditions...how is that an argument? You play where you live...or go to school. You go to your bowl game wherever it is scheduled. If they start scheduling bowl games in Newark, so be it.

    Is it my fault or the SEC's fault that when they started the whole bowl game deal, back when the Big 10 was the top conference 90 years ago the powers that be decided to play Bowl games in places like Miami, New Orleans, Atlanta, Pasedna, and not in places like Detroit, Chicago, New York or Bismark??

    Travel is travel no matter how far you go....unless you are talking a big time change, but for the most part time change isn't a issue because most bowl games are played in eastern or central time, and most teams get to their destination well in advance to make the adjustment.

    Again....I embrace tradition, but there is nothing wrong with new tradition.

    I don't think a Texas as an example would be a good addition for the Big 10....they are a mid west outfit....but will say Nebraska fits the Big 10....not much different then Iowa really.

    I don't want the SEC as an example taking some team up in Pennsylvania....that isn't SEC country....the SEC is southern teams....and that isn't putting any northern teams or people down.....I was born in Ohio even if I have lived in the south most of my life and with a Alabama Mama was raised as a southern boy despite of the fact I lived on the shore of Lake Erie and my closest neighbor to the north was Canadian.....north side of Lake Road, Bay Village.

    Things change man....plus....I don't see it as a money grab....unless of course you want to say the PAC 10 and Big 10 didn't want to give up the Rose Bowl since it was the Grand Daddy of Bowl games and paid the most....at least up until recent years.....maybe that's why those schools are beginning to change their tune?? Hmmmm