Nebraska to Big Ten
-
It's about time the Big 10 got with the program......now we can play cards. The Big 10 and Pac 10 have bodgered this thing up the last 15 years by insisting on maintaining the the Rose Bowl.
Screw the NCAA......go to 16 team conferences, dump the NCAA and do it right. The SEC could easily add 4 quality teams....NC, Va, Clemson, Fla St come to mind( not to mention Ga Tech, Louisville, W Va, or VTech) if you don't include traditional southern teams out of Texas.....which makes some sense.....Texas and A&M seem SEC to me.
It's time to move up and on.
-
All of this stuff makes me very nervous for my precious Bearcats
-
All of this stuff makes me very nervous for my precious Bearcats
All of this stuff makes me very nervous for my precious Bearcats
Why? They are a member of the Big East. I doubt they leave anytime soon.
-
If I'm the teams in the big ten right now (especially osu and psu) I worry about this. Nebraska may not be a power house but they are definately competitive. I think that Bo Pelini is a good coach and the huskers will be in the top ten in the next couple of years. It's better for the big ten if they join, but it should scare Jimmy T.
Also, as a huge Notre Dame fan, let me just say that I would love to see the Irish join. It gives them a consistent schedule every year, it puts an end to the argument of "Notre Dame doesn't play anybody", they already play 3 or 4 big ten schools every year, and it gives them some identity. Also, I agree with Alo: the Irih may be getting nervous about being left out in the rain when these new "super conferences" emerge. They will want to be a part of that.
-
All of this stuff makes me very nervous for my precious Bearcats
Why? They are a member of the Big East. I doubt they leave anytime soon.
-
Not that they leave but that they will get left out and end up in a conference with no BCS ties
The Big East is contractually one of the 6 BCS conferences. I think the only way the Big East gets left out is, if, as a conference they continually score lower (on the new BCS conference formula) than say the Mountain West or the WAC.
-
It's about time the Big 10 got with the program......now we can play cards. The Big 10 and Pac 10 have bodgered this thing up the last 15 years by insisting on maintaining the the Rose Bowl.
Screw the NCAA......go to 16 team conferences, dump the NCAA and do it right. The SEC could easily add 4 quality teams....NC, Va, Clemson, Fla St come to mind( not to mention Ga Tech, Louisville, W Va, or VTech) if you don't include traditional southern teams out of Texas.....which makes some sense.....Texas and A&M seem SEC to me.
It's time to move up and on.
It's about time the Big 10 got with the program......now we can play cards. The Big 10 and Pac 10 have bodgered this thing up the last 15 years by insisting on maintaining the the Rose Bowl.
Screw the NCAA......go to 16 team conferences, dump the NCAA and do it right. The SEC could easily add 4 quality teams....NC, Va, Clemson, Fla St come to mind( not to mention Ga Tech, Louisville, W Va, or VTech) if you don't include traditional southern teams out of Texas.....which makes some sense.....Texas and A&M seem SEC to me.
It's time to move up and on.
Ballpeen-
I have to disagree on your view. Traditions are dying everywhere- at least the Big 10/Pac 10 honored their agreement on the Rose Bowl as long as they could.
Traditions have taken a back seat to money, what a surprise. I happen to take the opposite view, that the SEC & Big 12 actually hurt college football by having these conference championship games to grab $$ from Dr. Pepper.
I could also see Texas & Texas A&M joining the SEC, but it will really screw some of those teams up who've never traveled more than 500 miles to play a football game (outside a bowl game). The SEC is tough indeed, but is certainly the most pampered conference in football, playing in pristine conditions all year, and then hardly budging from home for a bowl game.
Gordon Gekko was wrong....greed is NOT good.
-
suns said:
Texas and Texas A&M are going to the Big 10.was that reported or is that your prediction?
-
suns said:
Texas and Texas A&M are going to the Big 10.was that reported or is that your prediction?
-
suns said:
Reported.is there a link
-
suns said:
Reported.is there a link
nmills said:
is there a link -
A Kansas City TV station reported the Texas teams are heading to the Big 10, but Chip Brown - the guy who's owned the realignment story - doesn't believe the report:
Chip Brown said:
There's a Kansas City TV report saying Texas and A&M to the Big Ten. That would be news to those schools.via here
Based on what I've read, it sounds like Notre Dame, Rutgers, Maryland, and Missouri are more likely Big 10 expansion schools. Texas and five other Big 12 teams are expected to head to the Pac 10.
-
It's about time the Big 10 got with the program......now we can play cards. The Big 10 and Pac 10 have bodgered this thing up the last 15 years by insisting on maintaining the the Rose Bowl.
Screw the NCAA......go to 16 team conferences, dump the NCAA and do it right. The SEC could easily add 4 quality teams....NC, Va, Clemson, Fla St come to mind( not to mention Ga Tech, Louisville, W Va, or VTech) if you don't include traditional southern teams out of Texas.....which makes some sense.....Texas and A&M seem SEC to me.
It's time to move up and on.
Ballpeen-
I have to disagree on your view. Traditions are dying everywhere- at least the Big 10/Pac 10 honored their agreement on the Rose Bowl as long as they could.
Traditions have taken a back seat to money, what a surprise. I happen to take the opposite view, that the SEC & Big 12 actually hurt college football by having these conference championship games to grab $$ from Dr. Pepper.
I could also see Texas & Texas A&M joining the SEC, but it will really screw some of those teams up who've never traveled more than 500 miles to play a football game (outside a bowl game). The SEC is tough indeed, but is certainly the most pampered conference in football, playing in pristine conditions all year, and then hardly budging from home for a bowl game.
Gordon Gekko was wrong....greed is NOT good.
Ballpeen-
I have to disagree on your view. Traditions are dying everywhere- at least the Big 10/Pac 10 honored their agreement on the Rose Bowl as long as they could.
Traditions have taken a back seat to money, what a surprise. I happen to take the opposite view, that the SEC & Big 12 actually hurt college football by having these conference championship games to grab $$ from Dr. Pepper.
I could also see Texas & Texas A&M joining the SEC, but it will really screw some of those teams up who've never traveled more than 500 miles to play a football game (outside a bowl game). The SEC is tough indeed, but is certainly the most pampered conference in football, playing in pristine conditions all year, and then hardly budging from home for a bowl game.
Gordon Gekko was wrong....greed is NOT good.
Well Bob, I like tradition as well. On a whole, I enjoy college football way more than the NFL. I can sit and watch all sorts of college games, but with the NFL, unless the Browns are involved, I rarely watch full games other than post season.
It is what it is Bob....I don't think the SEC or Big 12 hurt anything.
As for conditions...how is that an argument? You play where you live...or go to school. You go to your bowl game wherever it is scheduled. If they start scheduling bowl games in Newark, so be it.
Is it my fault or the SEC's fault that when they started the whole bowl game deal, back when the Big 10 was the top conference 90 years ago the powers that be decided to play Bowl games in places like Miami, New Orleans, Atlanta, Pasedna, and not in places like Detroit, Chicago, New York or Bismark??
Travel is travel no matter how far you go....unless you are talking a big time change, but for the most part time change isn't a issue because most bowl games are played in eastern or central time, and most teams get to their destination well in advance to make the adjustment.
Again....I embrace tradition, but there is nothing wrong with new tradition.
I don't think a Texas as an example would be a good addition for the Big 10....they are a mid west outfit....but will say Nebraska fits the Big 10....not much different then Iowa really.
I don't want the SEC as an example taking some team up in Pennsylvania....that isn't SEC country....the SEC is southern teams....and that isn't putting any northern teams or people down.....I was born in Ohio even if I have lived in the south most of my life and with a Alabama Mama was raised as a southern boy despite of the fact I lived on the shore of Lake Erie and my closest neighbor to the north was Canadian.....north side of Lake Road, Bay Village.
Things change man....plus....I don't see it as a money grab....unless of course you want to say the PAC 10 and Big 10 didn't want to give up the Rose Bowl since it was the Grand Daddy of Bowl games and paid the most....at least up until recent years.....maybe that's why those schools are beginning to change their tune?? Hmmmm
-
Zombo said:
And then the ACC and Big East merge and we have four Super Conferences?I guess we are headed in that direction...
Zombo
atleast it would force them to have a playoff, you would think.
nmills said:
atleast it would force them to have a playoff, you would think.doubt it........the 30 plus annual bowl games bring in too much revenue.......the NCAA won't kill the golden goose
-
Ballpeen-
I have to disagree on your view. Traditions are dying everywhere- at least the Big 10/Pac 10 honored their agreement on the Rose Bowl as long as they could.
Traditions have taken a back seat to money, what a surprise. I happen to take the opposite view, that the SEC & Big 12 actually hurt college football by having these conference championship games to grab $$ from Dr. Pepper.
I could also see Texas & Texas A&M joining the SEC, but it will really screw some of those teams up who've never traveled more than 500 miles to play a football game (outside a bowl game). The SEC is tough indeed, but is certainly the most pampered conference in football, playing in pristine conditions all year, and then hardly budging from home for a bowl game.
Gordon Gekko was wrong....greed is NOT good.
Well Bob, I like tradition as well. On a whole, I enjoy college football way more than the NFL. I can sit and watch all sorts of college games, but with the NFL, unless the Browns are involved, I rarely watch full games other than post season.
It is what it is Bob....I don't think the SEC or Big 12 hurt anything.
As for conditions...how is that an argument? You play where you live...or go to school. You go to your bowl game wherever it is scheduled. If they start scheduling bowl games in Newark, so be it.
Is it my fault or the SEC's fault that when they started the whole bowl game deal, back when the Big 10 was the top conference 90 years ago the powers that be decided to play Bowl games in places like Miami, New Orleans, Atlanta, Pasedna, and not in places like Detroit, Chicago, New York or Bismark??
Travel is travel no matter how far you go....unless you are talking a big time change, but for the most part time change isn't a issue because most bowl games are played in eastern or central time, and most teams get to their destination well in advance to make the adjustment.
Again....I embrace tradition, but there is nothing wrong with new tradition.
I don't think a Texas as an example would be a good addition for the Big 10....they are a mid west outfit....but will say Nebraska fits the Big 10....not much different then Iowa really.
I don't want the SEC as an example taking some team up in Pennsylvania....that isn't SEC country....the SEC is southern teams....and that isn't putting any northern teams or people down.....I was born in Ohio even if I have lived in the south most of my life and with a Alabama Mama was raised as a southern boy despite of the fact I lived on the shore of Lake Erie and my closest neighbor to the north was Canadian.....north side of Lake Road, Bay Village.
Things change man....plus....I don't see it as a money grab....unless of course you want to say the PAC 10 and Big 10 didn't want to give up the Rose Bowl since it was the Grand Daddy of Bowl games and paid the most....at least up until recent years.....maybe that's why those schools are beginning to change their tune?? Hmmmm
Things change man....plus....I don't see it as a money grab....unless of course you want to say the PAC 10 and Big 10 didn't want to give up the Rose Bowl since it was the Grand Daddy of Bowl games and paid the most....at least up until recent years.....maybe that's why those schools are beginning to change their tune?? Hmmmm
Yes, you nailed it. The Big 10 & Pac 10 want more $$, plain & simple.
College football is great, however, I don't like the direction it's heading to. All of us here could list a ton of pros & cons on college football today- it just seems to me that it's all about the $$ anymore.
As for arguing about where you play & location...I could type all day about it, but I would much rather be aggrevated playing golf or doing yardwork...
-
"I love the thought of playing Iowa and Ohio State and going in there and kicking some (butt)," - Genrich
This may get interesting, especially since Michigan cannot bring anything to the table anymore. It will be nice to play some real competition.
This may get interesting, especially since Michigan cannot bring anything to the table anymore. It will be nice to play some real competition.
I think the Big Ten is playing roulette with the Big 12 courting both .......the Texas Teams and the Oklahoma Teams........knowing no matter which group comes aboard...........they win a financial windfall................and the Pac 10 loses
just my stupid view
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login
