NFL Personal Conduct Policy
-
Sivlerback DPOY said:
Goodell has always been inconsistant and hypocritical with his punishments for rule breaking. It's been that why since he became Commish and I have criticized Goodell for this for years. (Gipper: this answers your question)I'm not asking for severe punishments for all the players, just reasonable and consistant punishments will do....Although, unless you consider getting blindsided by a driver who ignored traffic laws and being sued in a civil case (remember, as you say, "It has also been precedent that players aren't punished by the NFL until after the legal proceedings have finished.") and this case is ongoing, then Ben hasn't had any type of bad behavior history.
Jeff Reed's (for example) troubles have already been delt with by the court, why hasn't Goodell done anything about his "pattern of 'bad behavior'", which he has certianly shown. You don't need to be convicted of a crime to get punished. You can get punished for "bad behavior". Reguardless of how Young's case will be settled, he is on tape showing "bad behavior" and breaking specific PCP rules. That is enough to punish Young right there, unless the legal preceedings uncover more than what is already known, Goodell knows everything that needs to be known to punish Young. Same with Rogers (he admitted to having the loaded gun at the airport) and same with most of the other cases.
How do you know Goodell hasn't taken steps to discipline these guys and you just haven't heard about it? Most of this stuff doesn't get all that much coverage because few of them are big names. None were ever going to get the same notoriety as BR, if that is your concern. Did BR get extra attention from the Commish? Perhaps. He gets extra attention for his positive actions, and he is going to get extra attention for his negative actions. Too bad, deal with it. If Goodell comes down hard on the other guys you name, so be it with them as well. The Browns fully expect to be without the services of Sean Rogers for a while. So be it. The difference on some of these is that with many the legal proceedings are not concluded. With BR they ARE concluded, so I guess the commish felt he was free to act on his own.
How do you know Goodell hasn't taken steps to discipline these guys and you just haven't heard about it? Most of this stuff doesn't get all that much coverage because few of them are big names. None were ever going to get the same notoriety as BR, if that is your concern. Did BR get extra attention from the Commish? Perhaps. He gets extra attention for his positive actions, and he is going to get extra attention for his negative actions. Too bad, deal with it. If Goodell comes down hard on the other guys you name, so be it with them as well. The Browns fully expect to be without the services of Sean Rogers for a while. So be it. The difference on some of these is that with many the legal proceedings are not concluded. With BR they ARE concluded, so I guess the commish felt he was free to act on his own.
Between NFL Network, NFL.com and other sports media it's also reported when a player is displined. Again I was't the first one to mention Ben and I only used his bad behavior and punishment as example of when Goodell properly punishes under the PCP. As I've always said, I have no complaints of Ben's punishment, my complaints lie within Goodell's inconsistancy.
Maybe everyone on that list wasn't as big of a name as Ben, but there was 4-5 probowlers on that list. But just becuase Ben got more media attention doesn't mean he should get special meetings with Goodell or get punished more harshly. Goodell needs to make a strict PCP and follow it down to every last point. Media attention should not have any bearing.
I understand with Rogers and Young that Goodell will wait for the legal aspect to be dealt with before he steps in. But he has a history of not punishing repeated offenders even after the court system finished i.e. Jeff Reed
-
How do you know Goodell hasn't taken steps to discipline these guys and you just haven't heard about it? Most of this stuff doesn't get all that much coverage because few of them are big names. None were ever going to get the same notoriety as BR, if that is your concern. Did BR get extra attention from the Commish? Perhaps. He gets extra attention for his positive actions, and he is going to get extra attention for his negative actions. Too bad, deal with it. If Goodell comes down hard on the other guys you name, so be it with them as well. The Browns fully expect to be without the services of Sean Rogers for a while. So be it. The difference on some of these is that with many the legal proceedings are not concluded. With BR they ARE concluded, so I guess the commish felt he was free to act on his own.
Between NFL Network, NFL.com and other sports media it's also reported when a player is displined. Again I was't the first one to mention Ben and I only used his bad behavior and punishment as example of when Goodell properly punishes under the PCP. As I've always said, I have no complaints of Ben's punishment, my complaints lie within Goodell's inconsistancy.
Maybe everyone on that list wasn't as big of a name as Ben, but there was 4-5 probowlers on that list. But just becuase Ben got more media attention doesn't mean he should get special meetings with Goodell or get punished more harshly. Goodell needs to make a strict PCP and follow it down to every last point. Media attention should not have any bearing.
I understand with Rogers and Young that Goodell will wait for the legal aspect to be dealt with before he steps in. But he has a history of not punishing repeated offenders even after the court system finished i.e. Jeff Reed
-
Sivlerback DPOY said:
Again I was't the first one to mention BenThere would be no other reason for you to start this post unless you were trying to make some less-than-subtle point about Ben.
There would be no other reason for you to start this post unless you were trying to make some less-than-subtle point about Ben.
Like I keep saying, I'm okay with Ben getting 4-6 games...I've complained about Goodell's inconsistancies for years. Ben does become relavant becuase this is about Goodell's handling of the PCP and Ben has been punished by Goodell under the PCP.
Goodell has set the precident that any behavior he doesn't like (illegal or not; specifically against the rules or not) will result in punishment.
Like I said before:, Goodell made this statement to Ben regaurding his actions:
"... there is nothing about your conduct in Milledgeville that can remotely be described as admirable, responsible, or consistent with either the values of the league or the expectations of our fans."
So if Goodell doesn't suspend or punish other players, does that mean that the behavior of other arrested players are in fact "admirable, responsible and consistent with the values of the league"? When Goodell began suspending players for behaving in a way that he disapproves of, any time he chooses not to suspend or punish a player it is implied that he then approves of the behavior in question.
-
What is with these jokers?
Why do they have to come onto our boards and bitch about their teams?
First we get this 49ers guy trying to say that the 49ers going to Santa Clara is the same as the Browns going to Baltimore
and now we got a Steeler trying to get sympathy because big bad Goodell isn't fair to little Benny.
Give me a fricken break.
This is a Browns Board. Why do we care if you feel slighted?
-
What is with these jokers?
Why do they have to come onto our boards and bitch about their teams?
First we get this 49ers guy trying to say that the 49ers going to Santa Clara is the same as the Browns going to Baltimore
and now we got a Steeler trying to get sympathy because big bad Goodell isn't fair to little Benny.
Give me a fricken break.
This is a Browns Board. Why do we care if you feel slighted?
What is with these jokers?
Why do they have to come onto our boards and bitch about their teams?
First we get this 49ers guy trying to say that the 49ers going to Santa Clara is the same as the Browns going to Baltimore
and now we got a Steeler trying to get sympathy because big bad Goodell isn't fair to little Benny.
Give me a fricken break.
This is a Browns Board. Why do we care if you feel slighted?
The biggest problem is your reading comprehension.
-
What is with these jokers?
Why do they have to come onto our boards and bitch about their teams?
First we get this 49ers guy trying to say that the 49ers going to Santa Clara is the same as the Browns going to Baltimore
and now we got a Steeler trying to get sympathy because big bad Goodell isn't fair to little Benny.
Give me a fricken break.
This is a Browns Board. Why do we care if you feel slighted?
The biggest problem is your reading comprehension.
-
What is with these jokers?
Why do they have to come onto our boards and bitch about their teams?
First we get this 49ers guy trying to say that the 49ers going to Santa Clara is the same as the Browns going to Baltimore
and now we got a Steeler trying to get sympathy because big bad Goodell isn't fair to little Benny.
Give me a fricken break.
This is a Browns Board. Why do we care if you feel slighted?
The biggest problem is your reading comprehension.
Sivlerback DPOY said:
The biggest problem is your reading comprehension.The biggest problem is that you're a worthless troll.
-
Sivlerback DPOY said:
The biggest problem is your reading comprehension.Just because
1) I disagree with you
and
2) I think your posting what you did is silly
Does not mean I don't comprehend what you wrote.
-
Sivlerback DPOY said:
I have clearly stated specifically to you twice that my beef with Goodell goes way back before Ben had any of his troubles.That may be, but there is absolutely zero reason for you to even bring this up on our board at all, unless you wanted to whine about Ben some more.
-
Sivlerback DPOY said:
I have clearly stated specifically to you twice that my beef with Goodell goes way back before Ben had any of his troubles.That may be, but there is absolutely zero reason for you to even bring this up on our board at all, unless you wanted to whine about Ben some more.
That may be, but there is absolutely zero reason for you to even bring this up on our board at all, unless you wanted to whine about Ben some more.
Considering I agree with the 4-6 game suspension I can't see why I would whine about it. You may feel the issue is irrelavant to you now, but when your star draft pick gets suspended two games becuase his drunken resisting arrest charge got more media attention than Jeff Reed, you and many others will be crying about how Goodell cheats for the Steelers.
-
That may be, but there is absolutely zero reason for you to even bring this up on our board at all, unless you wanted to whine about Ben some more.
Considering I agree with the 4-6 game suspension I can't see why I would whine about it. You may feel the issue is irrelavant to you now, but when your star draft pick gets suspended two games becuase his drunken resisting arrest charge got more media attention than Jeff Reed, you and many others will be crying about how Goodell cheats for the Steelers.
Sivlerback DPOY said:
Considering I agree with the 4-6 game suspension I can't see why I would whine about it. You may feel the issue is irrelavant to you now, but when your star draft pick gets suspended two games becuase his drunken resisting arrest charge got more media attention than Jeff Reed, you and many others will be crying about how Goodell cheats for the Steelers.As is our right, consider this is a BROWNS board.
Why did you even start this thread?
-
What is with these jokers?
Why do they have to come onto our boards and bitch about their teams?
First we get this 49ers guy trying to say that the 49ers going to Santa Clara is the same as the Browns going to Baltimore
and now we got a Steeler trying to get sympathy because big bad Goodell isn't fair to little Benny.
Give me a fricken break.
This is a Browns Board. Why do we care if you feel slighted?
What is with these jokers?
Why do they have to come onto our boards and bitch about their teams?
First we get this 49ers guy trying to say that the 49ers going to Santa Clara is the same as the Browns going to Baltimore
and now we got a Steeler trying to get sympathy because big bad Goodell isn't fair to little Benny.
Give me a fricken break.
This is a Browns Board. Why do we care if you feel slighted?
Then dont respond. No Big deal... there are Lots of Steeler fans and Browns Fans who care about their Division rivals. THAT is why we "Jokers" come here. Some of us have even been Invited when we joined by ...Browns fans. What is the big fat deal ? If you are not interested , dont respond. Thats fine and understandable. The Topic will sink to the Bottom of the "Thread sea" and the you , can rest easy. In your sterilized little la la land. Its really up to YOU. Have an interactive interesting forum. Or a same ol same ol bitch session on the latest blunder by the honchos in Berea. The Choice ...is yours.
-
Sivlerback DPOY said:
The biggest problem is your reading comprehension.The biggest problem is that you're a worthless troll.
The biggest problem is that you're a worthless troll.
LOL THAT was a good one... SilverB is weeping openly now. Go back to JJC son.
-
There would be no other reason for you to start this post unless you were trying to make some less-than-subtle point about Ben.
Like I keep saying, I'm okay with Ben getting 4-6 games...I've complained about Goodell's inconsistancies for years. Ben does become relavant becuase this is about Goodell's handling of the PCP and Ben has been punished by Goodell under the PCP.
Goodell has set the precident that any behavior he doesn't like (illegal or not; specifically against the rules or not) will result in punishment.
Like I said before:, Goodell made this statement to Ben regaurding his actions:
"... there is nothing about your conduct in Milledgeville that can remotely be described as admirable, responsible, or consistent with either the values of the league or the expectations of our fans."
So if Goodell doesn't suspend or punish other players, does that mean that the behavior of other arrested players are in fact "admirable, responsible and consistent with the values of the league"? When Goodell began suspending players for behaving in a way that he disapproves of, any time he chooses not to suspend or punish a player it is implied that he then approves of the behavior in question.
Sivlerback DPOY said:
Like I keep saying, I'm okay with Ben getting 4-6 games...I've complained about Goodell's inconsistancies for years. Ben does become relavant becuase this is about Goodell's handling of the PCP and Ben has been punished by Goodell under the PCP.Goodell has set the precident that any behavior he doesn't like (illegal or not; specifically against the rules or not) will result in punishment.
Like I said before:, Goodell made this statement to Ben regaurding his actions:
"... there is nothing about your conduct in Milledgeville that can remotely be described as admirable, responsible, or consistent with either the values of the league or the expectations of our fans."
So if Goodell doesn't suspend or punish other players, does that mean that the behavior of other arrested players are in fact "admirable, responsible and consistent with the values of the league"? When Goodell began suspending players for behaving in a way that he disapproves of, any time he chooses not to suspend or punish a player it is implied that he then approves of the behavior in question.
I think the difference is when in his opinion it was simply a mistake v a behavior.
I know there is line there, but anybody who has sat in a position to make those types of decisions knows you have to know there is a line of demarcation and it isn't simply black and white.....there is a little fudge to either side depending on circumstance.
-
Sivlerback DPOY said:
Like I keep saying, I'm okay with Ben getting 4-6 games...I've complained about Goodell's inconsistancies for years. Ben does become relavant becuase this is about Goodell's handling of the PCP and Ben has been punished by Goodell under the PCP.Goodell has set the precident that any behavior he doesn't like (illegal or not; specifically against the rules or not) will result in punishment.
Like I said before:, Goodell made this statement to Ben regaurding his actions:
"... there is nothing about your conduct in Milledgeville that can remotely be described as admirable, responsible, or consistent with either the values of the league or the expectations of our fans."
So if Goodell doesn't suspend or punish other players, does that mean that the behavior of other arrested players are in fact "admirable, responsible and consistent with the values of the league"? When Goodell began suspending players for behaving in a way that he disapproves of, any time he chooses not to suspend or punish a player it is implied that he then approves of the behavior in question.
I think the difference is when in his opinion it was simply a mistake v a behavior.
I know there is line there, but anybody who has sat in a position to make those types of decisions knows you have to know there is a line of demarcation and it isn't simply black and white.....there is a little fudge to either side depending on circumstance.
I think the difference is when in his opinion it was simply a mistake v a behavior.
I know there is line there, but anybody who has sat in a position to make those types of decisions knows you have to know there is a line of demarcation and it isn't simply black and white.....there is a little fudge to either side depending on circumstance.
I undertstand what you are saying but the PCP calls for punishment if its a mistake or not. Now, I can see Goodell handed out lighter punishment for one mistake as opposed to repeated behavior. But assulting your pregnant girlfriend or sneaking a gun into a night club isn't just a mistake, even if it only happens once. Then there is good ole Jeff Reed and his drinking episodes. Goodell claims part of why he punished Ben so severely and forced him to go to counseling is becuase he cares about his players...Really? Than how come he never stepped in just to help poor ole Jeff? By giving Reed (and most others) a free pass on his arrests, he set a precident that it was okay.
-
The biggest problem is that you're a worthless troll.
LOL THAT was a good one... SilverB is weeping openly now. Go back to JJC son.
FREAKofSTEEL08 said:
LOL THAT was a good one... SilverB is weeping openly now. Go back to JJC son.One WORTHLESS troll sticking up for the other. Get a life.

-
How do you know Goodell hasn't taken steps to discipline these guys and you just haven't heard about it? Most of this stuff doesn't get all that much coverage because few of them are big names. None were ever going to get the same notoriety as BR, if that is your concern. Did BR get extra attention from the Commish? Perhaps. He gets extra attention for his positive actions, and he is going to get extra attention for his negative actions. Too bad, deal with it. If Goodell comes down hard on the other guys you name, so be it with them as well. The Browns fully expect to be without the services of Sean Rogers for a while. So be it. The difference on some of these is that with many the legal proceedings are not concluded. With BR they ARE concluded, so I guess the commish felt he was free to act on his own.
Between NFL Network, NFL.com and other sports media it's also reported when a player is displined. Again I was't the first one to mention Ben and I only used his bad behavior and punishment as example of when Goodell properly punishes under the PCP. As I've always said, I have no complaints of Ben's punishment, my complaints lie within Goodell's inconsistancy.
Maybe everyone on that list wasn't as big of a name as Ben, but there was 4-5 probowlers on that list. But just becuase Ben got more media attention doesn't mean he should get special meetings with Goodell or get punished more harshly. Goodell needs to make a strict PCP and follow it down to every last point. Media attention should not have any bearing.
I understand with Rogers and Young that Goodell will wait for the legal aspect to be dealt with before he steps in. But he has a history of not punishing repeated offenders even after the court system finished i.e. Jeff Reed
Sivlerback DPOY said:
Between NFL Network, NFL.com and other sports media it's also reported when a player is displined. Again I was't the first one to mention Ben and I only used his bad behavior and punishment as example of when Goodell properly punishes under the PCP. As I've always said, I have no complaints of Ben's punishment, my complaints lie within Goodell's inconsistancy.Maybe everyone on that list wasn't as big of a name as Ben, but there was 4-5 probowlers on that list. But just becuase Ben got more media attention doesn't mean he should get special meetings with Goodell or get punished more harshly. Goodell needs to make a strict PCP and follow it down to every last point. Media attention should not have any bearing.
I understand with Rogers and Young that Goodell will wait for the legal aspect to be dealt with before he steps in. But he has a history of not punishing repeated offenders even after the court system finished i.e. Jeff Reed
Well, as a jurist, I know that when it comes to punishment for an incident there can be wide latitude and discretion applied, but it must still be within the strictures of the applicable penalty statute. Goodell has no such stricture. His punishments are purely discretionary. The only thing that may constrain him is the Collective Bargaining agreement. Otherwise he is free to be as harsh or as lenient as he chooses and as he sees fit. He is under NO obligation to be consistent. He is under NO obligation to follow a certain formula for meting out discipline. He can meet with whomever he wants as much as he wants or not at all. He can punish before or after the court system is through with a person (though generally he has waited). He is free to be as arbitrary and capricious as he choosed to be. He is free to let a punter slide that no one knows about or has ever heard about, and he is free to come down hard on the Super Bowl Quarterback that everyone knows about. He is free to consider the damage to the reputation of the league that someone's action has caused, or he is free to ignore that. He is free to consider the negative media attention that an incident causes, or not to consider it. He can put down a policy in writing, but since it is HIS policy, he can follow it or ignore it if he chooses. Other than, as I said, what is required by the CBA. He doesn't have to give any thought to what you or I or the man in the moon think of his policies and actions....or he may be very sensitive to that public opinion. That's just the way it is.
-
FREAKofSTEEL08 said:
LOL THAT was a good one... SilverB is weeping openly now. Go back to JJC son.One WORTHLESS troll sticking up for the other. Get a life.

One WORTHLESS troll sticking up for the other. Get a life.

Get a Brain... Whiner.

-
There would be no other reason for you to start this post unless you were trying to make some less-than-subtle point about Ben.
Like I keep saying, I'm okay with Ben getting 4-6 games...I've complained about Goodell's inconsistancies for years. Ben does become relavant becuase this is about Goodell's handling of the PCP and Ben has been punished by Goodell under the PCP.
Goodell has set the precident that any behavior he doesn't like (illegal or not; specifically against the rules or not) will result in punishment.
Like I said before:, Goodell made this statement to Ben regaurding his actions:
"... there is nothing about your conduct in Milledgeville that can remotely be described as admirable, responsible, or consistent with either the values of the league or the expectations of our fans."
So if Goodell doesn't suspend or punish other players, does that mean that the behavior of other arrested players are in fact "admirable, responsible and consistent with the values of the league"? When Goodell began suspending players for behaving in a way that he disapproves of, any time he chooses not to suspend or punish a player it is implied that he then approves of the behavior in question.
Sivlerback DPOY said:
Like I keep saying, I'm okay with Ben getting 4-6 games...I've complained about Goodell's inconsistancies for years. Ben does become relavant becuase this is about Goodell's handling of the PCP and Ben has been punished by Goodell under the PCP.Goodell has set the precedent that any behavior he doesn't like (illegal or not; specifically against the rules or not) will result in punishment.
Like I said before:, Goodell made this statement to Ben regaurding his actions:
"... there is nothing about your conduct in Milledgeville that can remotely be described as admirable, responsible, or consistent with either the values of the league or the expectations of our fans."
So if Goodell doesn't suspend or punish other players, does that mean that the behavior of other arrested players are in fact "admirable, responsible and consistent with the values of the league"? When Goodell began suspending players for behaving in a way that he disapproves of, any time he chooses not to suspend or punish a player it is implied that he then approves of the behavior in question.
Well, look up your facts- Goodell does suspend and punish other players- like PacMan Jones and Chris Henry, fer instance.
And others have pointed out- from a legal standpoint, some of those cases are still pending. And BR got popped they way he did because of the Nevada incident- if Georgia was the first, the punishment would have been far less severe. Pattern of behavior.
-
Sivlerback DPOY said:
Like I keep saying, I'm okay with Ben getting 4-6 games...I've complained about Goodell's inconsistancies for years. Ben does become relavant becuase this is about Goodell's handling of the PCP and Ben has been punished by Goodell under the PCP.Goodell has set the precedent that any behavior he doesn't like (illegal or not; specifically against the rules or not) will result in punishment.
Like I said before:, Goodell made this statement to Ben regaurding his actions:
"... there is nothing about your conduct in Milledgeville that can remotely be described as admirable, responsible, or consistent with either the values of the league or the expectations of our fans."
So if Goodell doesn't suspend or punish other players, does that mean that the behavior of other arrested players are in fact "admirable, responsible and consistent with the values of the league"? When Goodell began suspending players for behaving in a way that he disapproves of, any time he chooses not to suspend or punish a player it is implied that he then approves of the behavior in question.
Well, look up your facts- Goodell does suspend and punish other players- like PacMan Jones and Chris Henry, fer instance.
And others have pointed out- from a legal standpoint, some of those cases are still pending. And BR got popped they way he did because of the Nevada incident- if Georgia was the first, the punishment would have been far less severe. Pattern of behavior.
Well, look up your facts- Goodell does suspend and punish other players- like PacMan Jones and Chris Henry, fer instance.
And others have pointed out- from a legal standpoint, some of those cases are still pending. And BR got popped they way he did because of the Nevada incident- if Georgia was the first, the punishment would have been far less severe. Pattern of behavior.
"Roethlisberger is the first player who hasn't been arrested or charged with a crime yet suspended by Goodell under the NFL personal-conduct policy."...NFL.com.....http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true....and that statement is true. Ben has never been arrested and he has never been charged with any type of crime his entire life, not to mewntion during his NFL playing career....Pacman and Henry were both convicted of multiple crimes just while Goodell was the Commish.
The Neveda "incident" wasn't anything at all. It is a civil case and police say they have no intention of investigating the rediculous claims. Like you said, " from a legal standpoint, some of those cases are still pending." Well, Ben's Neveda case is still nothing more than someone making an accusation and threatening to take it to civil court. If this case had any bearing Ben's punishment, then once again Goodell is a hypocrite in his punishment.
Jeff Reed has had a "pattern of behavior" with actual arrests...Goodell hasn't punished him.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login