Skip to content

Art Modell

The Browns Board
77 19 10.9k
  • I enjoyed the article and appreciate the good things that Art has done for the game. Plus I figured that everyone here would have their two cents to add in about Modell. My thoughts....It hurt losing our team, but I understand the business aspects that made it happen. But all of us diehard fans made it possible to get our team back in Cleveland. Thank you all for that.

  • All kidding aside, Cowherd sometimes doesn't know his dick from his brains. Art Modell will never go to the Hall of Fame. Art Modell doesn't deserve to go into the HOF. Cowherd conveniently forgets that Modell was run out of the NFL by the Commissioner and the other owners...after he received all that cash to "move". Cowherd conveniently forgets that the city father's indeed gave Modell exactly what he was asking for with the stadium deal. There was absolutely no betrayal, because there was nothing to betray. Modell asked for a renovated stadium, that was what the city was precisely in the process of giving him. But when he saw $$$ in his eyes, that was no longer good enough for him. The betrayal was ALL on his part.

  • So he'll be dead soon. Sweet.

    @kosar_for_president said:

    So he'll be dead soon. Sweet.

    And he can die a bitter old man, because all the bitterness that he is experiencing is a product of his own making. He is just too big of a .....coward? fool? egomaniac? asshole? whatever, to admit it.

  • I knew you would all have something to say about him. I guess that I look at things differently. Hate really has no place in my life because it takes away from what I can accomplish in the present, but do I dislike the fact that he moved the team? Absolutely! Do I understand that he made a huge pile of money to do it? Absolutely! Football is a game that we all love but it is a business and a big one. And all business owners protect and grow their financial interests. In the end cash is king right? I also do not overlook the contributions that he made to the game. MNF, the continuation of the Browns Steelers rivalry that we love so much...Bringing us so much joy with our near misses in the late 80's.

    I am glad he is no longer our owner though and that (because of our dedication to our team) we will be thriving for years to come. The setback was great but the future for our team is very bright indeed! I for one want to keep focusing on that.

  • This is the stupidest, most asinine thread ever started on this forum.

    Unless it was before, and also about this same old, corrupt, dirty, filthy rotten lying scumbag. @@

  • This is the stupidest, most asinine thread ever started on this forum.

    Unless it was before, and also about this same old, corrupt, dirty, filthy rotten lying scumbag. @@

    @calfoxwc said:

    This is the stupidest, most asinine thread ever started on this forum.

    Unless it was before, and also about this same old, corrupt, dirty, filthy rotten lying scumbag. @@

    And that was one of the STUPIDEST comments that you have ever made on this board. And you usually have something intelligent to say. I guess you are letting your hatred get in the way of your thought process.

    And if you don't like it why wouldn't you just move on to the next topic?

  • I knew you would all have something to say about him. I guess that I look at things differently. Hate really has no place in my life because it takes away from what I can accomplish in the present, but do I dislike the fact that he moved the team? Absolutely! Do I understand that he made a huge pile of money to do it? Absolutely! Football is a game that we all love but it is a business and a big one. And all business owners protect and grow their financial interests. In the end cash is king right? I also do not overlook the contributions that he made to the game. MNF, the continuation of the Browns Steelers rivalry that we love so much...Bringing us so much joy with our near misses in the late 80's.

    I am glad he is no longer our owner though and that (because of our dedication to our team) we will be thriving for years to come. The setback was great but the future for our team is very bright indeed! I for one want to keep focusing on that.

    @browns57 said:

    I knew you would all have something to say about him. I guess that I look at things differently. Hate really has no place in my life because it takes away from what I can accomplish in the present, but do I dislike the fact that he moved the team? Absolutely! Do I understand that he made a huge pile of money to do it? Absolutely! Football is a game that we all love but it is a business and a big one. And all business owners protect and grow their financial interests. In the end cash is king right? I also do not overlook the contributions that he made to the game. MNF, the continuation of the Browns Steelers rivalry that we love so much...Bringing us so much joy with our near misses in the late 80's.

    I am glad he is no longer our owner though and that (because of our dedication to our team) we will be thriving for years to come. The setback was great but the future for our team is very bright indeed! I for one want to keep focusing on that.

    You want to focus on the future? Then why the F**k did you bring his name up? You began this thread.

  • And that was one of the STUPIDEST comments that you have ever made on this board. And you usually have something intelligent to say. I guess you are letting your hatred get in the way of your thought process.

    And if you don't like it why wouldn't you just move on to the next topic?

    ************************

    No offense meant to you, but my hatred? That stupid, sleazy, megalomaniac somebeech isn't worth hating.

    But, I simply figure he's filth, and dirty, mean, terrible, wicked, bad and nasty, and justly is railed against as such.

    I did go to the next topic. @@

  • I enjoyed the article and appreciate the good things that Art has done for the game. Plus I figured that everyone here would have their two cents to add in about Modell. My thoughts....It hurt losing our team, but I understand the business aspects that made it happen. But all of us diehard fans made it possible to get our team back in Cleveland. Thank you all for that.

    @browns57 said:

    I enjoyed the article and appreciate the good things that Art has done for the game. Plus I figured that everyone here would have their two cents to add in about Modell. My thoughts....It hurt losing our team, but I understand the business aspects that made it happen. But all of us diehard fans made it possible to get our team back in Cleveland. Thank you all for that.

    I agree. I hold nothing against Art at this point. What's done is done so no sense holding a grudge.

    I wish the guy good health and hope he gets his HOF appointment soon.....he deserves the HOF as one of the strong contributors to the modern game.

  • Nope, you are not going to get many decent discussions full of insight and respect when it comes to the topic of this thread. This person ripped the heart and soul out of so many Brown's backers it should be

    criminal. The mere mention of his name is repulsive. I am surprised he has lived this long. Then again, when one posseses no sense of morality, no fundamental understanding of what is right and

    wrong. their existance isn't phased by their selfish miscalculations. I'll piss on his grave

  • Mayor White is the villain in this story. Art was a business man, White was a politician. White said 'i can push you around all i want.' Art said 'Well, we'll just see about that.'

    Anyone that thinks Art wanted to leave Cleveland is a total and complete idiot.

  • Mayor White is the villain in this story. Art was a business man, White was a politician. White said 'i can push you around all i want.' Art said 'Well, we'll just see about that.'

    Anyone that thinks Art wanted to leave Cleveland is a total and complete idiot.

    @roach said:

    Mayor White is the villain in this story. Art was a business man, White was a politician. White said 'i can push you around all i want.' Art said 'Well, we'll just see about that.'

    Anyone that thinks Art wanted to leave Cleveland is a total and complete idiot.

    great thread 57 and great comment Ed and Ballpeen. I hated Art so much at first for what happened.............it took me 12 years to get over the pain. The whole thing is a sad Story. Art did amazing things for the NFL he brokered the leagues merging, he lead the charge to join the AFC only if the Steelers came with him. He lead the charge for a national TV program instead of individual teams doing their thing. And he gave his whole heart in running the Browns when he did. He was immersed in his Browns

    Then the money thing took over

    So as much as I hated him so much for doing what he did, I have forgiven him and indeed he deserves to be in the Hall of Fame

    Thanks 57 for posting and thanks those who have erased the scars for what happened and see Art for what he did positive

    including winning us our last championship

  • @calfoxwc said:

    This is the stupidest, most asinine thread ever started on this forum.

    Unless it was before, and also about this same old, corrupt, dirty, filthy rotten lying scumbag. @@

    And that was one of the STUPIDEST comments that you have ever made on this board. And you usually have something intelligent to say. I guess you are letting your hatred get in the way of your thought process.

    And if you don't like it why wouldn't you just move on to the next topic?

    @browns57 said:

    And that was one of the STUPIDEST comments that you have ever made on this board. And you usually have something intelligent to say. I guess you are letting your hatred get in the way of your thought process.

    And if you don't like it why wouldn't you just move on to the next topic?

    Whatever man. Fuk Art. I hope is dies a slow painful death and all the money can't prevent that. I hate him

  • Mayor White is the villain in this story. Art was a business man, White was a politician. White said 'i can push you around all i want.' Art said 'Well, we'll just see about that.'

    Anyone that thinks Art wanted to leave Cleveland is a total and complete idiot.

    @roach said:

    Mayor White is the villain in this story. Art was a business man, White was a politician. White said 'i can push you around all i want.' Art said 'Well, we'll just see about that.'

    Anyone that thinks Art wanted to leave Cleveland is a total and complete idiot.

    So what. He still left. It is what it is. I HATE HIM

  • @browns57 said:

    I enjoyed the article and appreciate the good things that Art has done for the game. Plus I figured that everyone here would have their two cents to add in about Modell. My thoughts....It hurt losing our team, but I understand the business aspects that made it happen. But all of us diehard fans made it possible to get our team back in Cleveland. Thank you all for that.

    I agree. I hold nothing against Art at this point. What's done is done so no sense holding a grudge.

    I wish the guy good health and hope he gets his HOF appointment soon.....he deserves the HOF as one of the strong contributors to the modern game.

    @ballpeen said:

    I agree. I hold nothing against Art at this point. What's done is done so no sense holding a grudge.

    I wish the guy good health and hope he gets his HOF appointment soon.....he deserves the HOF as one of the strong contributors to the modern game.

    Difference between holding a grudge, and justice. I'm with Gips on this one. Modell was in the process of getting what he wanted a renovated stadium. For those with a short attention span he was offered to get in on the Gateway deal- he declined. He held the Indians hostage for years, got all the revenue and parking had the first "luxury" boxes in the NFL, yet the guy got himself so totally overleveraged, it wasn't enough.

    The Divine Justice part of it all is Artie moved (instead of selling out to Al Lerner and having the team remain in Cleveland as he should have) because he wanted to pass the franchise on to Little Davy. Well, turns out even a $50 million dollar bribe and a sickeningly sweet revenue stream from Baltimore and the State of Maryland wasn't enough to keep the booger afloat. So in the long run, Schmodell not only lost what he was trying to preserve, but he lost an immense amount of respect on the national level.

    Now regarding the HOF. May he never get in. I'm of the opinion short of a few legendary owners (George Halas) owners don't belong. PERIOD. I'll puke the day Jerry Jones gets nominated. Modell is far from "legendary" unless you want to consider moving one of the most storied teams in the NFL out of town worthy of legend. One could argue since Al Davis is inducted the bar is set pretty low. But there is a morality angle. Unfortunately, you can't disinduct someone, but you think OJ would have gotten in if the Nicole thing had come up before he was eligible? And let's consider the PR angle. I can guarantee you this- with Canton being a mere hour drive from Cleveland, a potential Modell HOF induction would be ugly- REAL ugly. Check your rotten tomatoes at the gate, but if you thought those annoying vuvueletas at the World Cup were annoying, you haven't yet begun to imagine how loud the "Go to Hell, Modell" chants would be. They'd have to keep his bust behind 12" bulletproof glass like the Hope Diamond, and that still wouldn't stop a few folks from smearing boogers on the glass, or more foul stuff. (Use Your imagination DAWG Pounders)

  • @ballpeen said:

    I agree. I hold nothing against Art at this point. What's done is done so no sense holding a grudge.

    I wish the guy good health and hope he gets his HOF appointment soon.....he deserves the HOF as one of the strong contributors to the modern game.

    Difference between holding a grudge, and justice. I'm with Gips on this one. Modell was in the process of getting what he wanted a renovated stadium. For those with a short attention span he was offered to get in on the Gateway deal- he declined. He held the Indians hostage for years, got all the revenue and parking had the first "luxury" boxes in the NFL, yet the guy got himself so totally overleveraged, it wasn't enough.

    The Divine Justice part of it all is Artie moved (instead of selling out to Al Lerner and having the team remain in Cleveland as he should have) because he wanted to pass the franchise on to Little Davy. Well, turns out even a $50 million dollar bribe and a sickeningly sweet revenue stream from Baltimore and the State of Maryland wasn't enough to keep the booger afloat. So in the long run, Schmodell not only lost what he was trying to preserve, but he lost an immense amount of respect on the national level.

    Now regarding the HOF. May he never get in. I'm of the opinion short of a few legendary owners (George Halas) owners don't belong. PERIOD. I'll puke the day Jerry Jones gets nominated. Modell is far from "legendary" unless you want to consider moving one of the most storied teams in the NFL out of town worthy of legend. One could argue since Al Davis is inducted the bar is set pretty low. But there is a morality angle. Unfortunately, you can't disinduct someone, but you think OJ would have gotten in if the Nicole thing had come up before he was eligible? And let's consider the PR angle. I can guarantee you this- with Canton being a mere hour drive from Cleveland, a potential Modell HOF induction would be ugly- REAL ugly. Check your rotten tomatoes at the gate, but if you thought those annoying vuvueletas at the World Cup were annoying, you haven't yet begun to imagine how loud the "Go to Hell, Modell" chants would be. They'd have to keep his bust behind 12" bulletproof glass like the Hope Diamond, and that still wouldn't stop a few folks from smearing boogers on the glass, or more foul stuff. (Use Your imagination DAWG Pounders)

    @hoorta said:

    Difference between holding a grudge, and justice. I'm with Gips on this one. Modell was in the process of getting what he wanted a renovated stadium. For those with a short attention span he was offered to get in on the Gateway deal- he declined. He held the Indians hostage for years, got all the revenue and parking had the first "luxury" boxes in the NFL, yet the guy got himself so totally overleveraged, it wasn't enough.

    The Divine Justice part of it all is Artie moved (instead of selling out to Al Lerner and having the team remain in Cleveland as he should have) because he wanted to pass the franchise on to Little Davy. Well, turns out even a $50 million dollar bribe and a sickeningly sweet revenue stream from Baltimore and the State of Maryland wasn't enough to keep the booger afloat. So in the long run, Schmodell not only lost what he was trying to preserve, but he lost an immense amount of respect on the national level.

    Now regarding the HOF. May he never get in. I'm of the opinion short of a few legendary owners (George Halas) owners don't belong. PERIOD. I'll puke the day Jerry Jones gets nominated. Modell is far from "legendary" unless you want to consider moving one of the most storied teams in the NFL out of town worthy of legend. One could argue since Al Davis is inducted the bar is set pretty low. But there is a morality angle. Unfortunately, you can't disinduct someone, but you think OJ would have gotten in if the Nicole thing had come up before he was eligible? And let's consider the PR angle. I can guarantee you this- with Canton being a mere hour drive from Cleveland, a potential Modell HOF induction would be ugly- REAL ugly. Check your rotten tomatoes at the gate, but if you thought those annoying vuvueletas at the World Cup were annoying, you haven't yet begun to imagine how loud the "Go to Hell, Modell" chants would be. They'd have to keep his bust behind 12" bulletproof glass like the Hope Diamond, and that still wouldn't stop a few folks from smearing boogers on the glass, or more foul stuff. (Use Your imagination DAWG Pounders)

    damn good post, hoorta.

  • i don't hate modell, but i do hate what he did. hoorta and the gipper both did a great job of explaining what modell did, so i don't need to get into that again. but i think most browns fans don't want him to get into the hof because of his scumbag ways. that has nothing to do with having a grudge and it has everything to do with the facts of the matter.

    for those fans who say they've forgiven modell for what he did, how can you forgive him when: 1. he never asked to be forgiven. 2. he hasn't admitted he did anything wrong because he doesn't think he did anything wrong?????? that doesn't make any sense to me.

  • and art modell was a fool for firing paul brown!

  • @ballpeen said:

    I agree. I hold nothing against Art at this point. What's done is done so no sense holding a grudge.

    I wish the guy good health and hope he gets his HOF appointment soon.....he deserves the HOF as one of the strong contributors to the modern game.

    Difference between holding a grudge, and justice. I'm with Gips on this one. Modell was in the process of getting what he wanted a renovated stadium. For those with a short attention span he was offered to get in on the Gateway deal- he declined. He held the Indians hostage for years, got all the revenue and parking had the first "luxury" boxes in the NFL, yet the guy got himself so totally overleveraged, it wasn't enough.

    The Divine Justice part of it all is Artie moved (instead of selling out to Al Lerner and having the team remain in Cleveland as he should have) because he wanted to pass the franchise on to Little Davy. Well, turns out even a $50 million dollar bribe and a sickeningly sweet revenue stream from Baltimore and the State of Maryland wasn't enough to keep the booger afloat. So in the long run, Schmodell not only lost what he was trying to preserve, but he lost an immense amount of respect on the national level.

    Now regarding the HOF. May he never get in. I'm of the opinion short of a few legendary owners (George Halas) owners don't belong. PERIOD. I'll puke the day Jerry Jones gets nominated. Modell is far from "legendary" unless you want to consider moving one of the most storied teams in the NFL out of town worthy of legend. One could argue since Al Davis is inducted the bar is set pretty low. But there is a morality angle. Unfortunately, you can't disinduct someone, but you think OJ would have gotten in if the Nicole thing had come up before he was eligible? And let's consider the PR angle. I can guarantee you this- with Canton being a mere hour drive from Cleveland, a potential Modell HOF induction would be ugly- REAL ugly. Check your rotten tomatoes at the gate, but if you thought those annoying vuvueletas at the World Cup were annoying, you haven't yet begun to imagine how loud the "Go to Hell, Modell" chants would be. They'd have to keep his bust behind 12" bulletproof glass like the Hope Diamond, and that still wouldn't stop a few folks from smearing boogers on the glass, or more foul stuff. (Use Your imagination DAWG Pounders)

    @hoorta said:

    I can guarantee you this- with Canton being a mere hour drive from Cleveland, a potential Modell HOF induction would be ugly- REAL ugly. Check your rotten tomatoes at the gate, but if you thought those annoying vuvueletas at the World Cup were annoying, you haven't yet begun to imagine how loud the "Go to Hell, Modell" chants would be. They'd have to keep his bust behind 12" bulletproof glass like the Hope Diamond, and that still wouldn't stop a few folks from smearing boogers on the glass, or more foul stuff. (Use Your imagination DAWG Pounders)

    It would be my hope that my hometown folks would be able to show more class than that.

    Really, does anyone teach their kids to do stuff like that??

  • All said and done. Cleveland has a new Browns team and while we may not be what we once were, we are being guided by some one who can take us there. So how about we focus on what we have.