Art Modell
-
The unmentionable piece of garbage refused to share a stadium with the Indians.
He was a bigarse bigshot, who wanted to call the shots.
And, he consistently made bad decisions about the Browns, because it was, to him, all about him.
The unmentionable piece of garbage refused to share a stadium with the Indians.
He was a bigarse bigshot, who wanted to call the shots.
And, he consistently made bad decisions about the Browns, because it was, to him, all about him.
He should have.....the fact is baseball stadiums and football stadiums have different requirements and design.
-
I agree. I hold nothing against Art at this point. What's done is done so no sense holding a grudge.
I wish the guy good health and hope he gets his HOF appointment soon.....he deserves the HOF as one of the strong contributors to the modern game.
Difference between holding a grudge, and justice. I'm with Gips on this one. Modell was in the process of getting what he wanted a renovated stadium. For those with a short attention span he was offered to get in on the Gateway deal- he declined. He held the Indians hostage for years, got all the revenue and parking had the first "luxury" boxes in the NFL, yet the guy got himself so totally overleveraged, it wasn't enough.
The Divine Justice part of it all is Artie moved (instead of selling out to Al Lerner and having the team remain in Cleveland as he should have) because he wanted to pass the franchise on to Little Davy. Well, turns out even a $50 million dollar bribe and a sickeningly sweet revenue stream from Baltimore and the State of Maryland wasn't enough to keep the booger afloat. So in the long run, Schmodell not only lost what he was trying to preserve, but he lost an immense amount of respect on the national level.
Now regarding the HOF. May he never get in. I'm of the opinion short of a few legendary owners (George Halas) owners don't belong. PERIOD. I'll puke the day Jerry Jones gets nominated. Modell is far from "legendary" unless you want to consider moving one of the most storied teams in the NFL out of town worthy of legend. One could argue since Al Davis is inducted the bar is set pretty low. But there is a morality angle. Unfortunately, you can't disinduct someone, but you think OJ would have gotten in if the Nicole thing had come up before he was eligible? And let's consider the PR angle. I can guarantee you this- with Canton being a mere hour drive from Cleveland, a potential Modell HOF induction would be ugly- REAL ugly. Check your rotten tomatoes at the gate, but if you thought those annoying vuvueletas at the World Cup were annoying, you haven't yet begun to imagine how loud the "Go to Hell, Modell" chants would be. They'd have to keep his bust behind 12" bulletproof glass like the Hope Diamond, and that still wouldn't stop a few folks from smearing boogers on the glass, or more foul stuff. (Use Your imagination DAWG Pounders)
Difference between holding a grudge, and justice. I'm with Gips on this one. Modell was in the process of getting what he wanted a renovated stadium. For those with a short attention span he was offered to get in on the Gateway deal- he declined. He held the Indians hostage for years, got all the revenue and parking had the first "luxury" boxes in the NFL, yet the guy got himself so totally overleveraged, it wasn't enough.
The Divine Justice part of it all is Artie moved (instead of selling out to Al Lerner and having the team remain in Cleveland as he should have) because he wanted to pass the franchise on to Little Davy. Well, turns out even a $50 million dollar bribe and a sickeningly sweet revenue stream from Baltimore and the State of Maryland wasn't enough to keep the booger afloat. So in the long run, Schmodell not only lost what he was trying to preserve, but he lost an immense amount of respect on the national level.
Now regarding the HOF. May he never get in. I'm of the opinion short of a few legendary owners (George Halas) owners don't belong. PERIOD. I'll puke the day Jerry Jones gets nominated. Modell is far from "legendary" unless you want to consider moving one of the most storied teams in the NFL out of town worthy of legend. One could argue since Al Davis is inducted the bar is set pretty low. But there is a morality angle. Unfortunately, you can't disinduct someone, but you think OJ would have gotten in if the Nicole thing had come up before he was eligible? And let's consider the PR angle. I can guarantee you this- with Canton being a mere hour drive from Cleveland, a potential Modell HOF induction would be ugly- REAL ugly. Check your rotten tomatoes at the gate, but if you thought those annoying vuvueletas at the World Cup were annoying, you haven't yet begun to imagine how loud the "Go to Hell, Modell" chants would be. They'd have to keep his bust behind 12" bulletproof glass like the Hope Diamond, and that still wouldn't stop a few folks from smearing boogers on the glass, or more foul stuff. (Use Your imagination DAWG Pounders)
I hear a lot of what you say Larry and felt the same way exactly for a long long time. I look at the body of work and now understand he was broke and would had to sell the team instead he got a windfall of cash to do something he did not want to do. He made a lot of bad non football financial decisions which got him in a mess. Bmore was willing to bail him out.
Now after several years I remember all the great things Art Modell did for football and the Browns.......and there are many..........so he deserves hall of fame
in ten years all the hate for Modell gone but some great things he did will linger..........for one he understood Offense wins Championships.........which escapes most fans today......it would be good if he gets the HOF before he passes
-
Mayor White is the villain in this story. Art was a business man, White was a politician. White said 'i can push you around all i want.' Art said 'Well, we'll just see about that.'
Anyone that thinks Art wanted to leave Cleveland is a total and complete idiot.
Bull, bull, bull.
White did what a prudent politician should have done: look out for the best interest of the city. He looked out for the city's priorities. And he made absolutely no promises that he broke.
Being totally objective, it was more important for Cleveland to have the 81 dates the Indians had on their schedule, and the 300 dates the Arena had on its schedule for the vitality and economic benefit of the city over the 10 dates the Browns have on their schedule. That is just a pure economic fact. White knew it. Art knew it. Art even accepted it. He wanted taken care of eventually, yes. And all that was in the works. After all, that was what the extension of the sin tax, voted on 1 day after Modell's announcement was all about.
Not only that, the entire Gateway project, and the football renovation project and the funding for both was far more a Cuyahoga County matter than a City of Cleveland matter. If you believe that politicians were to blame ( and I don't) then the primary culprits that you should have been angry at were the Commissioners who ran Gateway etc., not White.
Bull, bull, bull.
White did what a prudent politician should have done: look out for the best interest of the city. He looked out for the city's priorities. And he made absolutely no promises that he broke.
Actually, White turned his bitchslapping of Modell into sport. White's asshole puckered only after he went one snub too far. i was mad at Modell until i learned the whole story.
-
I haven't posted her in months but am a long time member. I am a lurker now and not much of a poster
but NOTHING gets my attention more than Art Modell trying to re-write history.
Art is an major league liar when it comes to the move. As others have mentioned, he moved
strictly for the almighty dollar. He can throw the blame on others as much as he wants
but it was HIS and ONLY HIS decision to move this team.Art keeps telling the same lies over
and over and over again and tries to win people over to his side. The more you tell a lie the
more people you get to believe you.
Art in the HOF?? He had a clear path in until the move. Now his election would be a huge black
eye for the NFL.Can you imagine the protestors and signs in Canton? Art wouldn't even have the
balls to show up. You wouldn't be able to see the sky for all the planes carrying the "Jump Art"
banners.
Go live your life out in peace Art and leave Cleveland alone. You did a lot of nice things for the city
and the Cleveland Clinic while you were here but the stain of the move is still on your hands.
-
Difference between holding a grudge, and justice. I'm with Gips on this one. Modell was in the process of getting what he wanted a renovated stadium. For those with a short attention span he was offered to get in on the Gateway deal- he declined. He held the Indians hostage for years, got all the revenue and parking had the first "luxury" boxes in the NFL, yet the guy got himself so totally overleveraged, it wasn't enough.
The Divine Justice part of it all is Artie moved (instead of selling out to Al Lerner and having the team remain in Cleveland as he should have) because he wanted to pass the franchise on to Little Davy. Well, turns out even a $50 million dollar bribe and a sickeningly sweet revenue stream from Baltimore and the State of Maryland wasn't enough to keep the booger afloat. So in the long run, Schmodell not only lost what he was trying to preserve, but he lost an immense amount of respect on the national level.
Now regarding the HOF. May he never get in. I'm of the opinion short of a few legendary owners (George Halas) owners don't belong. PERIOD. I'll puke the day Jerry Jones gets nominated. Modell is far from "legendary" unless you want to consider moving one of the most storied teams in the NFL out of town worthy of legend. One could argue since Al Davis is inducted the bar is set pretty low. But there is a morality angle. Unfortunately, you can't disinduct someone, but you think OJ would have gotten in if the Nicole thing had come up before he was eligible? And let's consider the PR angle. I can guarantee you this- with Canton being a mere hour drive from Cleveland, a potential Modell HOF induction would be ugly- REAL ugly. Check your rotten tomatoes at the gate, but if you thought those annoying vuvueletas at the World Cup were annoying, you haven't yet begun to imagine how loud the "Go to Hell, Modell" chants would be. They'd have to keep his bust behind 12" bulletproof glass like the Hope Diamond, and that still wouldn't stop a few folks from smearing boogers on the glass, or more foul stuff. (Use Your imagination DAWG Pounders)
I hear a lot of what you say Larry and felt the same way exactly for a long long time. I look at the body of work and now understand he was broke and would had to sell the team instead he got a windfall of cash to do something he did not want to do. He made a lot of bad non football financial decisions which got him in a mess. Bmore was willing to bail him out.
Now after several years I remember all the great things Art Modell did for football and the Browns.......and there are many..........so he deserves hall of fame
in ten years all the hate for Modell gone but some great things he did will linger..........for one he understood Offense wins Championships.........which escapes most fans today......it would be good if he gets the HOF before he passes
I hear a lot of what you say Larry and felt the same way exactly for a long long time. I look at the body of work and now understand he was broke and would had to sell the team instead he got a windfall of cash to do something he did not want to do. He made a lot of bad non football financial decisions which got him in a mess. Bmore was willing to bail him out.
Now after several years I remember all the great things Art Modell did for football and the Browns.......and there are many..........so he deserves hall of fame
in ten years all the hate for Modell gone but some great things he did will linger..........for one he understood Offense wins Championships.........which escapes most fans today......it would be good if he gets the HOF before he passes
Hate to dredge up history Rich- but you and I know the HONORABLE thing would have been for Modell to sell out to Al Lerner, and not move the team. Lord knows, Al sure had the money- he could have handed Artie a blank check. If you remember, he wrote out a check to the NFL to the tune of $400 million when he bought the Browns- not too many guys have that kind of spendable cash not tied up in investments.
Nope, it wasn't just all about money- Art wanted the whole enchilada- the money AND be able to pass the team down to his cigar smokin' kid. Well, he wound up with neither. Even with $75 million, he still couldn't cover the payments he owed the bank, and was about to get foreclosed on. The other owners were an inch away from stripping the Mighty Modell of his franchise until Biscotti bailed his sorry ass out, and temporarily made Cigar Chomper Vice President in charge of Nothing. Modell's assertion "I had no choice" is a flat out lie.
Yeah, Modell did some nice things for the Browns, and did some damn stupid things too- like firing Paul Brown for starters. Couldn't come to terms with Mary Schottenheimer, and dumped Bill Belichick prematurely on top of it, sheer genius there. If you throw out Paul Brown's coaching record with the crap Bengals teams he'd rank #2 in all time winning percentage- which he incidentally held when Artie canned him. BTW, Billy Boy is 25th, and Marty is #26 in that category. Hey, OJ did some nice things on the field for the Bills- and then went out and croaked his wife. Artie blew a lifetime of goodwill with one horrendous decision. Do I hate the guy anymore? Not really, but I sure as hell don't respect him. And as long as Grossi and some other Clevelanders have a say in the HOF voting, Art will never get in.
Offense wins championships?
Sure, that's why the Ravens won a Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer at quarterback, and one of the best DEFENSES of all time. -
I haven't posted her in months but am a long time member. I am a lurker now and not much of a poster
but NOTHING gets my attention more than Art Modell trying to re-write history.
Art is an major league liar when it comes to the move. As others have mentioned, he moved
strictly for the almighty dollar. He can throw the blame on others as much as he wants
but it was HIS and ONLY HIS decision to move this team.Art keeps telling the same lies over
and over and over again and tries to win people over to his side. The more you tell a lie the
more people you get to believe you.
Art in the HOF?? He had a clear path in until the move. Now his election would be a huge black
eye for the NFL.Can you imagine the protestors and signs in Canton? Art wouldn't even have the
balls to show up. You wouldn't be able to see the sky for all the planes carrying the "Jump Art"
banners.
Go live your life out in peace Art and leave Cleveland alone. You did a lot of nice things for the city
and the Cleveland Clinic while you were here but the stain of the move is still on your hands.
I haven't posted her in months but am a long time member. I am a lurker now and not much of a poster
but NOTHING gets my attention more than Art Modell trying to re-write history.
Art is an major league liar when it comes to the move. As others have mentioned, he moved
strictly for the almighty dollar. He can throw the blame on others as much as he wants
but it was HIS and ONLY HIS decision to move this team.Art keeps telling the same lies over
and over and over again and tries to win people over to his side. The more you tell a lie the
more people you get to believe you.
Art in the HOF?? He had a clear path in until the move. Now his election would be a huge black
eye for the NFL.Can you imagine the protestors and signs in Canton? Art wouldn't even have the
balls to show up. You wouldn't be able to see the sky for all the planes carrying the "Jump Art"
banners.
Go live your life out in peace Art and leave Cleveland alone. You did a lot of nice things for the city
and the Cleveland Clinic while you were here but the stain of the move is still on your hands.
I am not sure that even if he had never attempted to move the Browns that he would have been HOF worthy. Let's just assume for a second that he had just gone ahead and sold the Browns in 1995 to Al Lerner. I am not sure that he should have been considered for induction any more than a dozen other owners. Were his credentials better than McBride who founded the Browns and the AAFC? Or Clint Murchison who created the Cowboys? Or Bud Adams? or Joe Robbie? or Leon Hess? or William Clay Ford? or Bill Bidwill? or Carol Rosembloom? or Tom Benson, or Gerald Phipps, or Sonny Werblin, or Jack Kent Cooke, or Hugh Culverhouse, or Ralph Hay, or Rankin Smith, or William Shea, or many others?
-
Difference between holding a grudge, and justice. I'm with Gips on this one. Modell was in the process of getting what he wanted a renovated stadium. For those with a short attention span he was offered to get in on the Gateway deal- he declined. He held the Indians hostage for years, got all the revenue and parking had the first "luxury" boxes in the NFL, yet the guy got himself so totally overleveraged, it wasn't enough.
The Divine Justice part of it all is Artie moved (instead of selling out to Al Lerner and having the team remain in Cleveland as he should have) because he wanted to pass the franchise on to Little Davy. Well, turns out even a $50 million dollar bribe and a sickeningly sweet revenue stream from Baltimore and the State of Maryland wasn't enough to keep the booger afloat. So in the long run, Schmodell not only lost what he was trying to preserve, but he lost an immense amount of respect on the national level.
Now regarding the HOF. May he never get in. I'm of the opinion short of a few legendary owners (George Halas) owners don't belong. PERIOD. I'll puke the day Jerry Jones gets nominated. Modell is far from "legendary" unless you want to consider moving one of the most storied teams in the NFL out of town worthy of legend. One could argue since Al Davis is inducted the bar is set pretty low. But there is a morality angle. Unfortunately, you can't disinduct someone, but you think OJ would have gotten in if the Nicole thing had come up before he was eligible? And let's consider the PR angle. I can guarantee you this- with Canton being a mere hour drive from Cleveland, a potential Modell HOF induction would be ugly- REAL ugly. Check your rotten tomatoes at the gate, but if you thought those annoying vuvueletas at the World Cup were annoying, you haven't yet begun to imagine how loud the "Go to Hell, Modell" chants would be. They'd have to keep his bust behind 12" bulletproof glass like the Hope Diamond, and that still wouldn't stop a few folks from smearing boogers on the glass, or more foul stuff. (Use Your imagination DAWG Pounders)
I hear a lot of what you say Larry and felt the same way exactly for a long long time. I look at the body of work and now understand he was broke and would had to sell the team instead he got a windfall of cash to do something he did not want to do. He made a lot of bad non football financial decisions which got him in a mess. Bmore was willing to bail him out.
Now after several years I remember all the great things Art Modell did for football and the Browns.......and there are many..........so he deserves hall of fame
in ten years all the hate for Modell gone but some great things he did will linger..........for one he understood Offense wins Championships.........which escapes most fans today......it would be good if he gets the HOF before he passes
in ten years all the hate for Modell gone but some great things he did will linger..........for one he understood Offense wins Championships.........which escapes most fans today......


-
I hear a lot of what you say Larry and felt the same way exactly for a long long time. I look at the body of work and now understand he was broke and would had to sell the team instead he got a windfall of cash to do something he did not want to do. He made a lot of bad non football financial decisions which got him in a mess. Bmore was willing to bail him out.
Now after several years I remember all the great things Art Modell did for football and the Browns.......and there are many..........so he deserves hall of fame
in ten years all the hate for Modell gone but some great things he did will linger..........for one he understood Offense wins Championships.........which escapes most fans today......it would be good if he gets the HOF before he passes
Hate to dredge up history Rich- but you and I know the HONORABLE thing would have been for Modell to sell out to Al Lerner, and not move the team. Lord knows, Al sure had the money- he could have handed Artie a blank check. If you remember, he wrote out a check to the NFL to the tune of $400 million when he bought the Browns- not too many guys have that kind of spendable cash not tied up in investments.
Nope, it wasn't just all about money- Art wanted the whole enchilada- the money AND be able to pass the team down to his cigar smokin' kid. Well, he wound up with neither. Even with $75 million, he still couldn't cover the payments he owed the bank, and was about to get foreclosed on. The other owners were an inch away from stripping the Mighty Modell of his franchise until Biscotti bailed his sorry ass out, and temporarily made Cigar Chomper Vice President in charge of Nothing. Modell's assertion "I had no choice" is a flat out lie.
Yeah, Modell did some nice things for the Browns, and did some damn stupid things too- like firing Paul Brown for starters. Couldn't come to terms with Mary Schottenheimer, and dumped Bill Belichick prematurely on top of it, sheer genius there. If you throw out Paul Brown's coaching record with the crap Bengals teams he'd rank #2 in all time winning percentage- which he incidentally held when Artie canned him. BTW, Billy Boy is 25th, and Marty is #26 in that category. Hey, OJ did some nice things on the field for the Bills- and then went out and croaked his wife. Artie blew a lifetime of goodwill with one horrendous decision. Do I hate the guy anymore? Not really, but I sure as hell don't respect him. And as long as Grossi and some other Clevelanders have a say in the HOF voting, Art will never get in.
Offense wins championships?
Sure, that's why the Ravens won a Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer at quarterback, and one of the best DEFENSES of all time. Offense wins championships?
Sure, that's why the Ravens won a Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer at quarterback, and one of the best DEFENSES of all time. 
leave it to ol richcheerleading4steelers to say something like this. i never ever heard anyone but him make a statement like this. unbelievable!
-
Bull, bull, bull.
White did what a prudent politician should have done: look out for the best interest of the city. He looked out for the city's priorities. And he made absolutely no promises that he broke.
Actually, White turned his bitchslapping of Modell into sport. White's asshole puckered only after he went one snub too far. i was mad at Modell until i learned the whole story.
Actually, White turned his bitchslapping of Modell into sport. White's asshole puckered only after he went one snub too far. i was mad at Modell until i learned the whole story.
I agree. I am not saying Model didn't have his faults, but I don't think he jumped the gun. He took the opportunity while it existed after 10 years of being jerked around.
Muni was a POS stadium in the early 60's and I know talk about a new stadium for the team started in maybe that mid-late 70's....early 80's for sure.
I think Art finally got tied of all the talk and decided talk is cheap, it takes money to buy whiskey.
The city was a dollar short and a day late....the city bet black and damn if it didn't come up red.
While I will never be happy he moved the team, in the same position, I would have done the same thing.
Art worked behind the scenes for a decade to get a stadium deal. He didn't rant and rave and threaten this or threaten that in the media.....he worked the process in the proper way....and finally got tired of it.
I am sorry the PUBLIC feels he didn't give THEM enough notice, but I am sure the elected officials had plenty of notice and elected to choose he was bluffing.
Art deserves the HOF.....no question.
It's not his fault the team moved other than he made the only decision the city forced him to make.
If he hadn't moved we would probably still be playing in a stadium built in the early 20's pissing in metal troughs hip to hip and face to face. .
People need to face the facts.
-
Actually, White turned his bitchslapping of Modell into sport. White's asshole puckered only after he went one snub too far. i was mad at Modell until i learned the whole story.
I agree. I am not saying Model didn't have his faults, but I don't think he jumped the gun. He took the opportunity while it existed after 10 years of being jerked around.
Muni was a POS stadium in the early 60's and I know talk about a new stadium for the team started in maybe that mid-late 70's....early 80's for sure.
I think Art finally got tied of all the talk and decided talk is cheap, it takes money to buy whiskey.
The city was a dollar short and a day late....the city bet black and damn if it didn't come up red.
While I will never be happy he moved the team, in the same position, I would have done the same thing.
Art worked behind the scenes for a decade to get a stadium deal. He didn't rant and rave and threaten this or threaten that in the media.....he worked the process in the proper way....and finally got tired of it.
I am sorry the PUBLIC feels he didn't give THEM enough notice, but I am sure the elected officials had plenty of notice and elected to choose he was bluffing.
Art deserves the HOF.....no question.
It's not his fault the team moved other than he made the only decision the city forced him to make.
If he hadn't moved we would probably still be playing in a stadium built in the early 20's pissing in metal troughs hip to hip and face to face. .
People need to face the facts.
I agree. I am not saying Model didn't have his faults, but I don't think he jumped the gun. He took the opportunity while it existed after 10 years of being jerked around.
Muni was a POS stadium in the early 60's and I know talk about a new stadium for the team started in maybe that mid-late 70's....early 80's for sure.
I think Art finally got tied of all the talk and decided talk is cheap, it takes money to buy whiskey.
The city was a dollar short and a day late....the city bet black and damn if it didn't come up red.
While I will never be happy he moved the team, in the same position, I would have done the same thing.
Art worked behind the scenes for a decade to get a stadium deal. He didn't rant and rave and threaten this or threaten that in the media.....he worked the process in the proper way....and finally got tired of it.
I am sorry the PUBLIC feels he didn't give THEM enough notice, but I am sure the elected officials had plenty of notice and elected to choose he was bluffing.
Art deserves the HOF.....no question.
It's not his fault the team moved other than he made the only decision the city forced him to make.
If he hadn't moved we would probably still be playing in a stadium built in the early 20's pissing in metal troughs hip to hip and face to face. .
People need to face the facts.
If I'm not mistaken Ballpeen, weren't they looking to build a stadium in Strongsville by 71 and the turnpike? Instead it ended up becoming a housing development. As I have stated, I feel the city must share some of the blame as well. This town trips over it's own feet when it comes to getting anything done around here. Modell however; did make some poor business decisions, and surrounded himself with people in the end that weren't good with his money. Like I said read "Fumble." It puts a lot into perspective, and I think it will ease a lot of the pain and the bitter feelings that people have regarding Modell and the mood. I mean, I'm no fan of the guy, but if he gets inducted into the HOF, I'm not going to lose sleep over it, nor am I going be an idiot and start a riot over it!
-
FACE IT. The City of Cleveland didn't make the stinkin sleazebag steal our Browns.
Mayor White didn't make the stinkin sleazebag steal our Browns.
The stinkin sleazebag did.
It's like he dropped his family off on some inner city street corner, and joined some gang that
offered him a lot of $$$$$ to be their leader.
The scumbag should never get into the HOF, but if he does, the bumper stickers will not be nice.
But we could sell a LOT of em.
And I would really supply the tomatoes. @@
-
No doubt about it the move sucked! It by far is the worst thing to happen in the history of Cleveland sports! I used to be extremely bitter toward Art Modell. I was also bitter toward Ozzy for going along to Baltimore for the ride. Unfortunately Art Modell showed us what the NFL is, and that it's a business! We should be pissed off at the NFL as well, considering they caved, and gave him what he wanted. Furthermore, they gave us no time to get the team up and running while they gave the previous two expansion teams all of the time in the world to put their front offices and teams together! When the Browns were poised to start they gave us jack s*** in the expansion draft. Nothing but a bunch of street free agents, and has beens. Jax and Carolina were competitive right off of the bat, and the NFL didn't want that to happen again. I'm not sure what the right solution would have been, but they should have named the ownership group way before they did. But, at least we DID get our team back, with our name, our history and our colors! And, there are no former Browns players left on the Ravens. Furthermore, Modell is no longer the majority owner of that franchise. What is funny, was he took that sweetheart deal, won a Super Bowl, and still ended up broke!
He should have done the right thing, and sold the team to Al Lerner, who I believe wanted to buy the team and keep it in Cleveland anyway. Had he had done that, no question he wouldn't be as reviled as he is now. But it is what it is, and I focus more on the future of this franchise. We will get to the promised land! We have an owner, who while he is not football savy, and inherited the team only because his dad passed away, has a ton of money, and is willing to spend it. Sure, he's spent a lot to try to fix the mistakes, but at least he is starting to get it. I love the Holmgren and Heckert hirings, and I feel confident for the first time since this team has returned that better days are ahead! Furthermore, I like the fact that he stays out of the way, unlike guys like Art Modell, Al Davis, Jerry Jones and Dan Schneider. On a side note, if Lebron leaves does he surpass Art Modell, as the most hated person in NE Ohio? I have to think not. I would be curious to hear everyone's thoughts on that.
-
Actually, White turned his bitchslapping of Modell into sport. White's asshole puckered only after he went one snub too far. i was mad at Modell until i learned the whole story.
I agree. I am not saying Model didn't have his faults, but I don't think he jumped the gun. He took the opportunity while it existed after 10 years of being jerked around.
Muni was a POS stadium in the early 60's and I know talk about a new stadium for the team started in maybe that mid-late 70's....early 80's for sure.
I think Art finally got tied of all the talk and decided talk is cheap, it takes money to buy whiskey.
The city was a dollar short and a day late....the city bet black and damn if it didn't come up red.
While I will never be happy he moved the team, in the same position, I would have done the same thing.
Art worked behind the scenes for a decade to get a stadium deal. He didn't rant and rave and threaten this or threaten that in the media.....he worked the process in the proper way....and finally got tired of it.
I am sorry the PUBLIC feels he didn't give THEM enough notice, but I am sure the elected officials had plenty of notice and elected to choose he was bluffing.
Art deserves the HOF.....no question.
It's not his fault the team moved other than he made the only decision the city forced him to make.
If he hadn't moved we would probably still be playing in a stadium built in the early 20's pissing in metal troughs hip to hip and face to face. .
People need to face the facts.
I agree. I am not saying Model didn't have his faults, but I don't think he jumped the gun. He took the opportunity while it existed after 10 years of being jerked around.
Muni was a POS stadium in the early 60's and I know talk about a new stadium for the team started in maybe that mid-late 70's....early 80's for sure.
I think Art finally got tied of all the talk and decided talk is cheap, it takes money to buy whiskey.
The city was a dollar short and a day late....the city bet black and damn if it didn't come up red.
While I will never be happy he moved the team, in the same position, I would have done the same thing.
Art worked behind the scenes for a decade to get a stadium deal. He didn't rant and rave and threaten this or threaten that in the media.....he worked the process in the proper way....and finally got tired of it.
I am sorry the PUBLIC feels he didn't give THEM enough notice, but I am sure the elected officials had plenty of notice and elected to choose he was bluffing.
Art deserves the HOF.....no question.
It's not his fault the team moved other than he made the only decision the city forced him to make.
If he hadn't moved we would probably still be playing in a stadium built in the early 20's pissing in metal troughs hip to hip and face to face. .
People need to face the facts.
You too need to face the facts. The fact is, yes, it took a long time for the stadium renovation plan to take hold...but that process...which Modell was part and parcel of and one of the authors of....was on board to go. The city/county forced him into nothing that he wasn't the engine driving the train. He only changed his mind when a boatload of cash was dangled in front of him. Those are the facts as well. Was he the city/county's top priority? No, that is true. The city/county could NOT afford to make him be the #1 priority. He actually understood this...and went along with it. He just wanted that money. His statement that "I had no choice" was false. His statement should have been: " I have been offered such a lucrative figure that it is too enticing to refuse". He had other choices, just none that would have remunerated him as well, as easily, and as quickly.
-
Note to djdawg: I have no problem with what Ozzie Newsome did in taking the GM job with the Ravens. The Browns were inactive at that point. Ozzie "needed a job". Ozzie's talents were such that he was offered only one of at the time were only 30 similar jobs in the nation. It was also a case of where he became the first African-American to hold such a position (though not much was made of it at the time).
He could not be faulted at all for doing what he did. Someone offers you such a job, there is no better alternative. You take it.
-
Note to djdawg: I have no problem with what Ozzie Newsome did in taking the GM job with the Ravens. The Browns were inactive at that point. Ozzie "needed a job". Ozzie's talents were such that he was offered only one of at the time were only 30 similar jobs in the nation. It was also a case of where he became the first African-American to hold such a position (though not much was made of it at the time).
He could not be faulted at all for doing what he did. Someone offers you such a job, there is no better alternative. You take it.
Note to djdawg: I have no problem with what Ozzie Newsome did in taking the GM job with the Ravens. The Browns were inactive at that point. Ozzie "needed a job". Ozzie's talents were such that he was offered only one of at the time were only 30 similar jobs in the nation. It was also a case of where he became the first African-American to hold such a position (though not much was made of it at the time).
He could not be faulted at all for doing what he did. Someone offers you such a job, there is no better alternative. You take it.
Regardless of how we all feel about Modell, let's face it we the fans were the ones that got screwed! What really pissed me off about the whole thing was (and I don't know if you remember this) the Seahawks, we all set to pack up and move to LA. They pretty much had a signed and sealed deal, and the NFL stepped in and STOPPED IT!!!
WTF was that about? Seattle, while they have great fans, had NOWHERE NEAR the tradition that we had with the Browns. Yet they allowed it to happen to Cleveland!!! 

My guess is that with the Browns, Oilers, Rams and Raiders all moving within the same time frame the league felt enough is enough, and had become somewhat unstable. Still to stop the Seahawks from relocating, but not stopping the Browns, I don't understand that. -
Note to djdawg: I have no problem with what Ozzie Newsome did in taking the GM job with the Ravens. The Browns were inactive at that point. Ozzie "needed a job". Ozzie's talents were such that he was offered only one of at the time were only 30 similar jobs in the nation. It was also a case of where he became the first African-American to hold such a position (though not much was made of it at the time).
He could not be faulted at all for doing what he did. Someone offers you such a job, there is no better alternative. You take it.
He could not be faulted at all for doing what he did. Someone offers you such a job, there is no better alternative. You take it.
The exact same thing can be said about stadiums. Keep playing in a crap stadium 30 years out of date with no boxes or take a sweetheart deal.
Sorry man....money talks....earlier you talked about loyalty for a conference being the dumbest thing you ever heard yet now you are all for loyalty.
Stop cherry picking.
-
He could not be faulted at all for doing what he did. Someone offers you such a job, there is no better alternative. You take it.
The exact same thing can be said about stadiums. Keep playing in a crap stadium 30 years out of date with no boxes or take a sweetheart deal.
Sorry man....money talks....earlier you talked about loyalty for a conference being the dumbest thing you ever heard yet now you are all for loyalty.
Stop cherry picking.
The exact same thing can be said about stadiums. Keep playing in a crap stadium 30 years out of date with no boxes or take a sweetheart deal.
Sorry man....money talks....earlier you talked about loyalty for a conference being the dumbest thing you ever heard yet now you are all for loyalty.
Stop cherry picking.
But Art had alternatives, and made committments. And he was dealing with something bigger than his own personal career. Ozzie had none of those issues. He was just a single guy out there looking for a job.
-
By the way, from another source I noted that this article which was reproduced on the first post of this thread actually appeared in the Baltimore Sun. (and also note that I confused the author: Kevin Cowherd with the ESPN personality Colin Cowherd, don't know if they are related).
The question should be asked: Where was the accompanying glowing article about the life of Robert Irsay in that paper.
A scumbag is a scumbag I guess unless he is your scumbag.
-
By the way, from another source I noted that this article which was reproduced on the first post of this thread actually appeared in the Baltimore Sun. (and also note that I confused the author: Kevin Cowherd with the ESPN personality Colin Cowherd, don't know if they are related).
The question should be asked: Where was the accompanying glowing article about the life of Robert Irsay in that paper.
A scumbag is a scumbag I guess unless he is your scumbag.
By the way, from another source I noted that this article which was reproduced on the first post of this thread actually appeared in the Baltimore Sun. (and also note that I confused the author: Kevin Cowherd with the ESPN personality Colin Cowherd, don't know if they are related).
The question should be asked: Where was the accompanying glowing article about the life of Robert Irsay in that paper.
A scumbag is a scumbag I guess unless he is your scumbag.
I think Irsay is a bigger scumbag. He left without warning. And he pissed all over the Colts fans by taking the name history and colors to Indy. I don't understand why Baltimore didn't fight like we did? The Colts had a rich tradition and legacy just like the Browns. I really don't think that Modell or the NFL truly expected the backlash from Browns fans. They probably thought our attitude would be don't let the door hit you in the a** after the whole Kosar debacle. That and fans were so done with Belichick. We really set the tone, because now when teams relocate more times than not the name is left in it's previous city. I'm proud of Cleveland for doing what no other city did up to this point, and that was fight to keep it's team.
On that note... all we need to erase all those bad memories is one Super Bowl victory (or appearance even). We'll get there. More than likely not this year, but we'll get there.
-
By the way, from another source I noted that this article which was reproduced on the first post of this thread actually appeared in the Baltimore Sun. (and also note that I confused the author: Kevin Cowherd with the ESPN personality Colin Cowherd, don't know if they are related).
The question should be asked: Where was the accompanying glowing article about the life of Robert Irsay in that paper.
A scumbag is a scumbag I guess unless he is your scumbag.
I think Irsay is a bigger scumbag. He left without warning. And he pissed all over the Colts fans by taking the name history and colors to Indy. I don't understand why Baltimore didn't fight like we did? The Colts had a rich tradition and legacy just like the Browns. I really don't think that Modell or the NFL truly expected the backlash from Browns fans. They probably thought our attitude would be don't let the door hit you in the a** after the whole Kosar debacle. That and fans were so done with Belichick. We really set the tone, because now when teams relocate more times than not the name is left in it's previous city. I'm proud of Cleveland for doing what no other city did up to this point, and that was fight to keep it's team.
On that note... all we need to erase all those bad memories is one Super Bowl victory (or appearance even). We'll get there. More than likely not this year, but we'll get there.
I think Irsay is a bigger scumbag. He left without warning. And he pissed all over the Colts fans by taking the name history and colors to Indy. I don't understand why Baltimore didn't fight like we did? The Colts had a rich tradition and legacy just like the Browns. I really don't think that Modell or the NFL truly expected the backlash from Browns fans. They probably thought our attitude would be don't let the door hit you in the a** after the whole Kosar debacle. That and fans were so done with Belichick. We really set the tone, because now when teams relocate more times than not the name is left in it's previous city. I'm proud of Cleveland for doing what no other city did up to this point, and that was fight to keep it's team.
On that note... all we need to erase all those bad memories is one Super Bowl victory (or appearance even). We'll get there. More than likely not this year, but we'll get there.
Well, again, people forget it was us lawyers that saved the bacon for the Browns and Cleveland.

In a sense, that is absolutely true. The lease between the Browns and the City required specific performance, i.e. the Browns were mandated to play their games in Cleveland Stadium. That mandate was enforceable in a court of law, and it was enforced. A restraining order was issued against Modell and the Browns from playing their games anywhere else except Cleveland Municipal Stadium. The issues of course were what would happen in the interim 3 years? Modell of course could have possibly stripped the team and the Stadium where it wouldn't even come close to resembling an NFL team. He could have had the Browns file Bankruptcy which possibly could have negated the terms of the lease as a last resort.
His danger in doing all that was that he could have been Victor Kiamed out of the league (which, of course he was anyway even after he left here). The NFL would not have wanted the Browns to have been a shell organization, run by Modell and David out of an empty cigar box. They possibly could have forced a sale of the Browns, like they did with the Ravens. And of course, then Lerner may have stepped up. But all that was so speculative, and so gruesome that the NFL didn't want that kind of scenario, so they brokered the settlement that was eventually come up with.
Nevertheless, like I said though, you had the lawyers to thank. So why don't you we all celebrate by declaring this "take your lawyer to lunch week". What do you say, boys and girls? If nothing else at least make a small donation to your resident attorneys. Aside from myself there is ballpeen. But he is retired. Unless there is someone else on here, I guess it is just little ole me.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login