McCoy: Let's Just Get This Out There (!)
-
Oh, I hope I'm wrong, too. I really, really do. I just don't feel like McCoy is our guy for the next 10 years.
I'm with Kiper. I still think Clausen was one of the top 10 prospects.
I'm pretty excited about practically everything else.
-
i agree with the reports that alot of scouts and 'draftologists' had out on mccoy before the draft. hey, i know he's a 'good' kid and all but he wasn't my fave prospect going into the draft. BUT i do think that our dynamic duo of holmgren and mangini can sniff out a winner now and again. not saying that every move these guys have made in the past have panned out but i'll give them the benefit of the doubt (for the time being).
clausen will probably turn out to be a great quarterback. i think we all here as browns fans though couldn't see us taking him because of the bad taste that quinn left us. hey he might be alright one day but for us: he sucked.
pike was the guy i was hoping we would take. more of the physical specimen that gms and coaches are looking for these days. big and tall with a strong arm.
but like you i'm excited about everything else and can't wait to see these guys take the field!
-
Also adding to my angst: Nothing but cheery reports about Clausen in Carolina (my youngest son's team, he was born there)... both as far as talent and attitude. I felt the same way when we didn't get Aaron Rodgers. I just think we missed on this one.
-
Also adding to my angst: Nothing but cheery reports about Clausen in Carolina (my youngest son's team, he was born there)... both as far as talent and attitude. I felt the same way when we didn't get Aaron Rodgers. I just think we missed on this one.
Also adding to my angst: Nothing but cheery reports about Clausen in Carolina (my youngest son's team, he was born there)... both as far as talent and attitude. I felt the same way when we didn't get Aaron Rodgers. I just think we missed on this one.
No worries mate. My prediction is that McCoy will end up being far better than Clausen.
Call it a gut feeling....and by god my gut is ample enough that you need to listen to it when it has feelings.
-
Also adding to my angst: Nothing but cheery reports about Clausen in Carolina (my youngest son's team, he was born there)... both as far as talent and attitude. I felt the same way when we didn't get Aaron Rodgers. I just think we missed on this one.
No worries mate. My prediction is that McCoy will end up being far better than Clausen.
Call it a gut feeling....and by god my gut is ample enough that you need to listen to it when it has feelings.
No worries mate. My prediction is that McCoy will end up being far better than Clausen.
Call it a gut feeling....and by god my gut is ample enough that you need to listen to it when it has feelings
.Clausen looks like a penis, 'nuff said. I don't think either will be great in the NFL, but I like Colts attitude and hope to see him get a shot. I was extremely relieved that we did not take a QB in the first two rounds. We just are/were not ready for a high round QB until we can run the ball with force and play crushing D. Can't wait for Sept!
-
No worries mate. My prediction is that McCoy will end up being far better than Clausen.
Call it a gut feeling....and by god my gut is ample enough that you need to listen to it when it has feelings
.Clausen looks like a penis, 'nuff said. I don't think either will be great in the NFL, but I like Colts attitude and hope to see him get a shot. I was extremely relieved that we did not take a QB in the first two rounds. We just are/were not ready for a high round QB until we can run the ball with force and play crushing D. Can't wait for Sept!
Clausen looks like a penis, 'nuff said. I don't think either will be great in the NFL, but I like Colts attitude and hope to see him get a shot. I was extremely relieved that we did not take a QB in the first two rounds. We just are/were not ready for a high round QB until we can run the ball with force and play crushing D. Can't wait for Sept!
I agree. It is crucial that we establish the makes of a true force run game this season. I'm a bit worried about the QB position only from the stance that the WR position scares the shit out of me which may make establishing the run just that much harder. Then we are back to which comes first again, the chicken or the egg.
-
Like Holmgren said when he took over, the league has changed. It's a passing league and you really have to do it at a high level to win, now. He was referring to the Browns getting away with running the ball a ton late in the year.
I agree, Ate: Another reason that's true is that you can't get away with being an obvious run-first team. Unless you can also pass, it gets tough to run.
Teams that run well and don't pass well (Rams and Bucs last year) don't win much.
We really need to show off a pretty good passing game to make the running game work. Otherwise, they'll just stack the box.
-
-
the good thing is we at least don't have a controversy, and everyone's not screaming for colt to start. 1 step at a time
-
Clausen would have been a terrible pick for us. I kinda remember the Browns drafting a QB from Notre Dame a few years ago and we all know how that turned out. Also let me add that that "other" qb was more successful at ND than Clausen...
-
I don't feel like one quarterback from a college has anything to do with another. I wouldn't draft Tee Martin 'cuz Peyton Manning's good. I wouldn't avoid Ponder because his predecessors all sucked.
I'm telling you: Clausen will be good. I hope McCoy is, too.
-
-
Hey! I wasn't much of a Carr or Grossman fan... although I liked Grossman more than Orton. But I wasn't much of a draftnick then.
My biggest QB crush was Aaron Rodgers, but I liked Smith, too. Still do. Did NOT like Frye, as you know.
My misses were Harrington and Quinn (I guess).
-
-
Zombo said:
If we were in Vegas based on those past predictions we would have some serious odds against Shep being correct! I for one think that McCoy has everything he needs to win despite the lack of arm strength, the system, and the height disadvantage. He is mobile, he is smart, he is a leader, and he is a serious competitor. He reminds me a little of a young Montana. We can only hope he will be that good. But I love the pick. And as I said before the draft I like Tebow's chances too. And I hate the Gators and could care less that he is religous..
-
-
I really don't think pickle or mccoy will amount to much....jmo, but mccoy has a better shot to succeed. He doesn't have rip messing up his groove.....with fox likely gone, pickle will not be getting the quality attention he needs to develop his game.....and it surely needs a lot.
-
What does his game need? He played in a pro style and had an amazing year. He's pretty polished.
-
What does his game need? He played in a pro style and had an amazing year. He's pretty polished.
What does his game need? He played in a pro style and had an amazing year. He's pretty polished.
Now didn't we hear that about his predecessor at Notre Dame too? That's what scared me off the Clausen train- given the same amount of talent, Quinn beats Clausen in about every category. And going to the ND well after you just dumped a Golden Domer would have sat really poorly with a bunch of Browns fans- myself included.
You remember your "success" predictor? McCoy stacks up really well.
McCoy's a great "value" pick in my estimation- better completion percentage. Time will tell about the "weak arm" haven't seen him play enough to form an opinion.
-
I wasn't really high on any of the qbs this year. Not being a gator homer, I would have taken Tebow over any of them because his weakness is something that can be learned unlike Bradford having the pussy factor, or a weak arm, questionable leadership skills, etc with the others.
Interesting you mentioned that. I never said it here, but I always thought the guy looked like a pussy, but anyway, back on point...
I don't think anything has to happen with McCoy this year....as in him playing for us to get a look. I think a lot of what a coach wants to see can be seen in practice. Sure, you eventually need to see how a guy plays in a real game, but that is the last thing. If everything is positive heading to that point, you have a pretty good idea as to if the guy can play.
For now, QB is pretty low on my interest meter just as others have indicated it is on theirs. Delomme is a seasoned vet who has played to a high level in the past. Wallace has also been tested and has passed with good results. Add that with the fact our ground game should only improve with the addition of Hardesty(a draft steal) Pashos, and Lauvao(sp) and you have added less pressure on the QB position to save the day.
I think the last decade has had us as fans so focused on the QB position that some find it hard to focus on anything else....and that isn't a knock on anybody, just an opinion.
I am excited about our prospects on O and am excited about our prospects on D. We added two enforcer type safeties. You would hope that one of them turns in to a solid starter type and the other at least a top reserve and top special team player. We added at linebacker and drafted a top corner who's ability should transfer to the NFL by game 5.
We are still a little unsettled on the DL but I don't see that as a glaring weakness that is going to cripple us every week.
As for McCoy, the kid played at a top program in the national spotlight. That is a positive. He is now in a position where there is no real pressure for him to take the stage anytime soon....like maybe even 3-4 years....which is going to give him time to develop in a positive manner.
Maybe you are right. Maybe Colt isn't the guy who is going to be the face of the team for 10-12 years. Then again, maybe we are building a team that doesn't have to have the qb as the face of the franchise. In our own division we have a team(Ravens) who has done a pretty decent job of winning who haven't had a QB as the face of their team, so it can be done.
Maybe Colt becomes our Phil Sims?? They seem to be fairly similar in style.
What's done is done. No sense lamenting what should have been done or who we should have picked.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login