Skip to content

McCoy: Let's Just Get This Out There (!)

The Browns Board
111 34 9.8k
  • S shepwrite wrote on last edited by shepwrite
    #1

    I was not a huge Colt McCoy fan going into the draft. I thought the Browns should take Clausen. When they passed on him at 38, I literally crapped myself and threw up at the same time.

    I live in Westlake Village, like Clausen did. He's known to NOT be a dick. My son worked out with him, Spiller, Everson Griffin, Mays, and the rest of "The Freaks" before the Combine. Clausen was really, really nice to the other guys, acting like a host... and was nice to Jack, too. People here are stunned at this perception that he's some huge tool. It's a lie. Some of the upperclassmen at ND didn't like him. That part is true... but it says as much about them as about him.

    Clausen comes from a pro style offense, unlike McCoy. He has more arm. He's asked to do WAY more things that translate to the next level. He had to work on a team with no running game and less than no defense, but somehow he ranked 5th in the nation in passing and the Domers were 3rd in pass offense. That's really hard when everybody knows you can only do one thing.

    As Bret Sobleski at Scout.com said after watching tape on both: Clausen had to make way tougher throws and put the ball in way smaller spaces. He also called McCoy's arm "subpar." Not average. Not decent. Subpar.

    Right now, today, Colt McCoy would be one of a few people in the league with a 5 arm on that 4-8 scale. Maybe Pennington and Edwards have as little. That's it. No clear-cut starters have as little or less arm than Colt McCoy. The offense he played in is the same one that didn't prepare Young for the NFL. It might be the WORST training ground for NFL quarterbacking in the league. It's a #1, checkdown, run dictate for the quarterback. And even at that, McCoy has questions about his ability to move through his progressions. When Shipley was covered, McCoy's passer rating was toilet water.

    I did NOT like the pick. When that ESPN guy Michael David Smith or whatever said the Browns would NOT pick a quarterback, I was pleased. Why? Because it meant we were feathering the nest for Locker, Ponder, or Luck.

    Now? I don't know. Sure, McCoy looks like a good value at 85. Sure he's easy to dump. Sure, his arm HAS improved year to year and looked even better at his workout, so he could pull a Brees. But what if we don't really know what we have when April rolls around? Will it be like Charlie Frye, a third round guy who's kinda-sorta treated like a first round guy as far as long-term plans? How will we know what we have when he's not going to play and so far he's not even allowed to practice much?

    What do you do if McCoy is still a mystery and you could trade up to get Ponder at #7? Pull a Jets kind of move?

    That's my issue. I'm actually a little intrigued by McCoy because Holmgren is clearly intrigued by McCoy (unlike everybody else in the Browns draft room). We have to know that third round draft picks do NOT become starters for their original team. In fact, for the most part, nobody drafted after about 33 becomes a starter for his original team... at least for very long. Only Brady and Romo sit as the exceptions to the rule right now. We'll see about Henne and Kolb, a couple second rounders.

    All the other starters are first round picks (probably 19 of them next year) or guys on second or even third teams (Schaub, Hasselbeck, Favre, Brees, etc.). It's just crazy rare to draft a guy later than round one and then start him for 10 years.

    But, all that said... stuff happens. But some of it needs to happen this year, in full view of Holmgren, or we need to get our franchise QB next year.

  • S shepwrite wrote on last edited by shepwrite
    #2

    Oh, some other inside shit from trainers around here: Bradford is a shy little pussy. Not a take charge kind of guy. Clausen is.

    Oh, and this is the kind of calm, thoughtful post I'd put up on the other board... and a jihad would result. Full on.

  • ThaakT Thaak wrote on last edited by
    #3

    Not sure I agree with you Shep. But time will of course tell.

    To me, it was telling when the Panthers drafted Pike as well as Clausen.

  • ATENEARSA ATENEARS wrote on last edited by
    #4

    Not sure I agree with you either, and I will be taking the wait-n-see approached. I'm not really eager to see what we have in him and on the same token I hope that we aren't ever in the position again to draft high enough to take the first overall, so it is a double-edged sword.

    Good stuff on the 3rd round picks not leading franchises though, that creates some thought. If you feed me these reports everyday I may start calling McCoy a homo by the second preseason game, but I'd rather prefer to focus on the revamped defensive backfield and eager to see us pound the rock on offense, while ignoring our junior high WR corps.

    I didn't want to draft Quinn, but thought it was kind of cool that we jumped back into the first round to catch his free fall. I sort of luke-warm-liked Colt, but would have rather had his target, Shipley. I kind of liked that we caught him in his own free fall too, or at least understood the pick was needed for cosmetic draft grades to keep fan interest. I can live with the pick though and look forward to seeing him make that attempt to be a third round franchise QB someday (did I just type that?). What am I talking about, I hate QB's ... go back to Barking Retard with this koolaid shit!

    Cool, we have a line drawn in the sand though and a real Wild Wild West show-down brewing in Colt McCoy ... from Texas. Bring it on, message boards are for opinions and I love someone taking a stance.

    I hope you are wrong.

  • S shepwrite wrote on last edited by
    #5

    Oh, I hope I'm wrong, too. I really, really do. I just don't feel like McCoy is our guy for the next 10 years.

    I'm with Kiper. I still think Clausen was one of the top 10 prospects.

    I'm pretty excited about practically everything else.

  • miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #6

    i agree with the reports that alot of scouts and 'draftologists' had out on mccoy before the draft. hey, i know he's a 'good' kid and all but he wasn't my fave prospect going into the draft. BUT i do think that our dynamic duo of holmgren and mangini can sniff out a winner now and again. not saying that every move these guys have made in the past have panned out but i'll give them the benefit of the doubt (for the time being).

    clausen will probably turn out to be a great quarterback. i think we all here as browns fans though couldn't see us taking him because of the bad taste that quinn left us. hey he might be alright one day but for us: he sucked.

    pike was the guy i was hoping we would take. more of the physical specimen that gms and coaches are looking for these days. big and tall with a strong arm.

    but like you i'm excited about everything else and can't wait to see these guys take the field!

  • S shepwrite wrote on last edited by
    #7

    Also adding to my angst: Nothing but cheery reports about Clausen in Carolina (my youngest son's team, he was born there)... both as far as talent and attitude. I felt the same way when we didn't get Aaron Rodgers. I just think we missed on this one.

    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor...&id=5296873

  • Also adding to my angst: Nothing but cheery reports about Clausen in Carolina (my youngest son's team, he was born there)... both as far as talent and attitude. I felt the same way when we didn't get Aaron Rodgers. I just think we missed on this one.

    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor...&id=5296873

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #8

    @shepwrite said:

    Also adding to my angst: Nothing but cheery reports about Clausen in Carolina (my youngest son's team, he was born there)... both as far as talent and attitude. I felt the same way when we didn't get Aaron Rodgers. I just think we missed on this one.

    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor...&id=5296873

    No worries mate. My prediction is that McCoy will end up being far better than Clausen.

    Call it a gut feeling....and by god my gut is ample enough that you need to listen to it when it has feelings.

  • @shepwrite said:

    Also adding to my angst: Nothing but cheery reports about Clausen in Carolina (my youngest son's team, he was born there)... both as far as talent and attitude. I felt the same way when we didn't get Aaron Rodgers. I just think we missed on this one.

    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor...&id=5296873

    No worries mate. My prediction is that McCoy will end up being far better than Clausen.

    Call it a gut feeling....and by god my gut is ample enough that you need to listen to it when it has feelings.

    halfsaneH halfsane wrote on last edited by
    #9

    @the-gipper said:

    No worries mate. My prediction is that McCoy will end up being far better than Clausen.

    Call it a gut feeling....and by god my gut is ample enough that you need to listen to it when it has feelings

    .

    Clausen looks like a penis, 'nuff said. I don't think either will be great in the NFL, but I like Colts attitude and hope to see him get a shot. I was extremely relieved that we did not take a QB in the first two rounds. We just are/were not ready for a high round QB until we can run the ball with force and play crushing D. Can't wait for Sept!

  • @the-gipper said:

    No worries mate. My prediction is that McCoy will end up being far better than Clausen.

    Call it a gut feeling....and by god my gut is ample enough that you need to listen to it when it has feelings

    .

    Clausen looks like a penis, 'nuff said. I don't think either will be great in the NFL, but I like Colts attitude and hope to see him get a shot. I was extremely relieved that we did not take a QB in the first two rounds. We just are/were not ready for a high round QB until we can run the ball with force and play crushing D. Can't wait for Sept!

    ATENEARSA ATENEARS wrote on last edited by
    #10

    @halfsane said:

    Clausen looks like a penis, 'nuff said. I don't think either will be great in the NFL, but I like Colts attitude and hope to see him get a shot. I was extremely relieved that we did not take a QB in the first two rounds. We just are/were not ready for a high round QB until we can run the ball with force and play crushing D. Can't wait for Sept!

    I agree. It is crucial that we establish the makes of a true force run game this season. I'm a bit worried about the QB position only from the stance that the WR position scares the shit out of me which may make establishing the run just that much harder. Then we are back to which comes first again, the chicken or the egg.

  • S shepwrite wrote on last edited by
    #11

    Like Holmgren said when he took over, the league has changed. It's a passing league and you really have to do it at a high level to win, now. He was referring to the Browns getting away with running the ball a ton late in the year.

    I agree, Ate: Another reason that's true is that you can't get away with being an obvious run-first team. Unless you can also pass, it gets tough to run.

    Teams that run well and don't pass well (Rams and Bucs last year) don't win much.

    We really need to show off a pretty good passing game to make the running game work. Otherwise, they'll just stack the box.

  • A Alendor wrote on last edited by
    #12

    the good thing is we at least don't have a controversy, and everyone's not screaming for colt to start. 1 step at a time

  • the good thing is we at least don't have a controversy, and everyone's not screaming for colt to start. 1 step at a time

    ThaakT Thaak wrote on last edited by
    #13

    @alendor said:

    the good thing is we at least don't have a controversy, and everyone's not screaming for colt to start. 1 step at a time

    Absolutely agree with this.

  • F FearTheRoo wrote on last edited by
    #14

    Clausen would have been a terrible pick for us. I kinda remember the Browns drafting a QB from Notre Dame a few years ago and we all know how that turned out. Also let me add that that "other" qb was more successful at ND than Clausen...

  • S shepwrite wrote on last edited by
    #15

    I don't feel like one quarterback from a college has anything to do with another. I wouldn't draft Tee Martin 'cuz Peyton Manning's good. I wouldn't avoid Ponder because his predecessors all sucked.

    I'm telling you: Clausen will be good. I hope McCoy is, too.

  • L lambdo wrote on last edited by
    #16

    LOL Zombo.

    Hilarious.

  • S shepwrite wrote on last edited by
    #17

    Hey! I wasn't much of a Carr or Grossman fan... although I liked Grossman more than Orton. But I wasn't much of a draftnick then.

    My biggest QB crush was Aaron Rodgers, but I liked Smith, too. Still do. Did NOT like Frye, as you know.

    My misses were Harrington and Quinn (I guess).

  • L lambdo wrote on last edited by
    #18

    McCoy > Clausen

    NFL success comes down to how quickly can you make the correct read and having the ability to get it there accurately.

    Hard to play the guessing game of who will be better...but my bet is on McCoy.

    Better name too.

  • B Browns57 wrote on last edited by
    #19

    Zombo said:

    If we were in Vegas based on those past predictions we would have some serious odds against Shep being correct! I for one think that McCoy has everything he needs to win despite the lack of arm strength, the system, and the height disadvantage. He is mobile, he is smart, he is a leader, and he is a serious competitor. He reminds me a little of a young Montana. We can only hope he will be that good. But I love the pick. And as I said before the draft I like Tebow's chances too. And I hate the Gators and could care less that he is religous..

  • GipsG Gips wrote on last edited by
    #20

    I think if McCoy is to have any chance to make it as the browns starter he needs to leave a major impression on the staff next year, if he doesnt he will end up like wallace or quinn...a lifetime backup..