Skip to content

McCoy: Let's Just Get This Out There (!)

The Browns Board
111 34 9.8k
  • S shepwrite wrote on last edited by
    #72

    Another way to look at it: Would Colt McCoy have won anything if Texas had the 87th ranked defense? If they gave up points in droves?

    No. Of course not. Nobody would. It's tough to do a lot more than Notre Dame's passing offense or Clausen did (3rd in the nation), so that answer is easy.

    I had the quarterbacks ranked like most: Bradford, Clausen, McCoy. Then I liked Mike Kafka a ton and wouldn't have minded the Browns taking him as high as 92. Truth be told, I liked Kafka and McCoy about the same. I may have grown to like Kafka slightly better.

    I don't think Tebow does shit in the NFL... at least at QB.

  • Another way to look at it: Would Colt McCoy have won anything if Texas had the 87th ranked defense? If they gave up points in droves?

    No. Of course not. Nobody would. It's tough to do a lot more than Notre Dame's passing offense or Clausen did (3rd in the nation), so that answer is easy.

    I had the quarterbacks ranked like most: Bradford, Clausen, McCoy. Then I liked Mike Kafka a ton and wouldn't have minded the Browns taking him as high as 92. Truth be told, I liked Kafka and McCoy about the same. I may have grown to like Kafka slightly better.

    I don't think Tebow does shit in the NFL... at least at QB.

    ThaakT Thaak wrote on last edited by
    #73

    @shepwrite said:

    Another way to look at it: Would Colt McCoy have won anything if Texas had the 87th ranked defense? If they gave up points in droves?

    No. Of course not. Nobody would. It's tough to do a lot more than Notre Dame's passing offense or Clausen did (3rd in the nation), so that answer is easy.

    I had the quarterbacks ranked like most: Bradford, Clausen, McCoy. Then I liked Mike Kafka a ton and wouldn't have minded the Browns taking him as high as 92. Truth be told, I liked Kafka and McCoy about the same. I may have grown to like Kafka slightly better.

    I don't think Tebow does shit in the NFL... at least at QB.

    That's a valid point. However, I still think it is important for the demeanor of your QB, that he come from a winning organization. I don't care what the reasons for the mediocrity or crap were, even if they were in spite of the QB instead of because him. It may not be "fair", but I think it is a valid way to break ties everything else being roughly the same.

  • S shepwrite wrote on last edited by
    #74

    Fair point. Being in pressure packed situations in the biggest games is a huge training ground. It changes a person.

    Hey, I like things about McCoy. I think at #85 he's interesting. He has the mental framework of a winner, he's a smart kid and a hard worker, and he's a terrific athlete. If his arm continues to get stronger, it may not be an issue in a year.

    We'll see.

  • mopajiM mopaji wrote on last edited by
    #75

    Only a QB discussion can create a 4 page thread in July.

    But hey, they're fun!

    Anyone else itching to get out to a few training camps?

  • S shepwrite wrote on last edited by
    #76

    That's funny, because on my last board, we had a lot of people bitching about quarterback threads...

    At the same time the three most popular threads by miles were all... wait for it... quarterback threads.

    If people actually hated quarterback threads, the market would speak. They'd die quickly. Fact is, they never do. On the contrary, they spark the hottest debates of all.

    Let's face it: Quarterback is THE position not just in football but all of team sports. And if you're on a team that still doesn't have a serious guy there, you're gonna be talking about it until they do. A lot.

    It's tough to imagine 1,500 hits on a "Elam V. Adams" thread. Or on whether Rogers should move to DE.

  • S samoth wrote on last edited by
    #77

    FYI shep, this thread has 78 posts and you've made 30 of them, so there is a reason QB threads "never die"

  • FYI shep, this thread has 78 posts and you've made 30 of them, so there is a reason QB threads "never die"

    S shepwrite wrote on last edited by
    #78

    @samoth said:

    FYI shep, this thread has 78 posts and you've made 30 of them, so there is a reason QB threads "never die"

    Not really... it just means I'm the moderator of this one. Without those other 50 posts, I've never had a discussion like this by myself, right?

    But it's true with or without me. Check out any Browns board anywhere. And just as sure as the quarterback threads are by far the hottest... you'll see a handful of people saying nobody wants them!

  • T The Hawg wrote on last edited by
    #79

    Well, we don't have Clausen and I personally am glad. In my opinion, he is vastly overrated. I think he will go the way of recent ND qb's. Yes, he came from a pro-style offense, but he was not a winner with it. He MAY have an accurate arm. but he wasn't #1. Why wouldn't you want #1?

    We all know that long passes may be thrown just a yard and the receiver takes it 95 yards. The qb gets credit for a 96 yard pass. So who has the most long throws? We'll just have to go with the stats.

    There may have been problems with the ND defense, but they had good receivers -- when Clausen got them the ball.

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #80

    I gotta agree with Shep about the QB threads.

    Like the Lewinski coverage everybody bitched but that's what got ratings.

    WSS

  • Well, we don't have Clausen and I personally am glad. In my opinion, he is vastly overrated. I think he will go the way of recent ND qb's. Yes, he came from a pro-style offense, but he was not a winner with it. He MAY have an accurate arm. but he wasn't #1. Why wouldn't you want #1?

    We all know that long passes may be thrown just a yard and the receiver takes it 95 yards. The qb gets credit for a 96 yard pass. So who has the most long throws? We'll just have to go with the stats.

    There may have been problems with the ND defense, but they had good receivers -- when Clausen got them the ball.

    S shepwrite wrote on last edited by
    #81

    @the-hawg said:

    Well, we don't have Clausen and I personally am glad. In my opinion, he is vastly overrated. I think he will go the way of recent ND qb's. Yes, he came from a pro-style offense, but he was not a winner with it. He MAY have an accurate arm. but he wasn't #1. Why wouldn't you want #1?

    We all know that long passes may be thrown just a yard and the receiver takes it 95 yards. The qb gets credit for a 96 yard pass. So who has the most long throws? We'll just have to go with the stats.

    There may have been problems with the ND defense, but they had good receivers -- when Clausen got them the ball.

    Quarterbacks make the WRs, with VERY few exceptions. Given that Tate had route running issues and isn't a burner, I'm betting Clausen did more for him than the other way around.

  • S shepwrite wrote on last edited by
    #82

    BTW, Adam Caplan's Scout.com chat included a blurb that basically said: McCoy has a shot to start in the future IF the Browns go to a full WCO. He simply doesn't have the arm to "drive the ball downfield."

  • @the-hawg said:

    Well, we don't have Clausen and I personally am glad. In my opinion, he is vastly overrated. I think he will go the way of recent ND qb's. Yes, he came from a pro-style offense, but he was not a winner with it. He MAY have an accurate arm. but he wasn't #1. Why wouldn't you want #1?

    We all know that long passes may be thrown just a yard and the receiver takes it 95 yards. The qb gets credit for a 96 yard pass. So who has the most long throws? We'll just have to go with the stats.

    There may have been problems with the ND defense, but they had good receivers -- when Clausen got them the ball.

    Quarterbacks make the WRs, with VERY few exceptions. Given that Tate had route running issues and isn't a burner, I'm betting Clausen did more for him than the other way around.

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #83

    @shepwrite said:

    Quarterbacks make the WRs, with VERY few exceptions. Given that Tate had route running issues and isn't a burner, I'm betting Clausen did more for him than the other way around.

    No more than 50 50 says I.

    If that.

    A couple drive killing drops hurt you nearly as much as ints.

    If not for Stallworth Swan etc pulling in Bradshaws bombs who knows//////

    WSS

  • D BoneD D Bone wrote on last edited by
    #84

    Watching a replay of the 2009 Big 12 Champ game on ESPN Classic, and it's by far the most I've ever seen Colt play..........He looks like he should have gone in the draft right where he did. I'm not impressed at all.

  • Watching a replay of the 2009 Big 12 Champ game on ESPN Classic, and it's by far the most I've ever seen Colt play..........He looks like he should have gone in the draft right where he did. I'm not impressed at all.

    ThaakT Thaak wrote on last edited by
    #85

    @d-bone said:

    Watching a replay of the 2009 Big 12 Champ game on ESPN Classic, and it's by far the most I've ever seen Colt play..........He looks like he should have gone in the draft right where he did. I'm not impressed at all.

    I don't understand that comment at all. I'm of an opinion, if someone doesn't impress you at all, you don't draft them anywhere, let alone in the 3rd round.

  • Watching a replay of the 2009 Big 12 Champ game on ESPN Classic, and it's by far the most I've ever seen Colt play..........He looks like he should have gone in the draft right where he did. I'm not impressed at all.

    C ClevelandBigDawg wrote on last edited by
    #86

    @d-bone said:

    Watching a replay of the 2009 Big 12 Champ game on ESPN Classic, and it's by far the most I've ever seen Colt play..........He looks like he should have gone in the draft right where he did. I'm not impressed at all.

    um so we got value????

    your a dumb xxxx..........

  • A Alo wrote on last edited by Alo
    #87

    McCoy's games last year against Oklahoma and Nebraska probably were the worst of his career. I wouldn't evaluate him based on either of those games alone.

  • T The Hawg wrote on last edited by
    #88

    I agree, Alo. He had some games against some less than stellar opponents -- and then there was Nebraska. Everybody thinks McCoy had everything a quarterback could want in 2009. The truth is that he had a poor offensive line, a running game that was practically non-existant if he didn't run it himself. And he had only one outstanding receiver. The defense was good, but the offense with which McCoy had to work was not the best support he could have had. This is where his leadership came in. That's how Texas won. And that is how he became the winningest qb in NCAA history.

  • D DawgTracker wrote on last edited by
    #89

    Even tom brady wouldn't have looked real good being tossed around like a rag doll by suh

  • S shepwrite wrote on last edited by
    #90

    I wouldn't have drafted him at all. I don't have a good vibe on his odds of being special in the NFL.

  • T The Hawg wrote on last edited by
    #91

    Well, you've been very forthright about your disdain for McCoy. Sorry you feel that way, but he is a Brown now -- and probably for several years to come. I still firmly believe that he will be a success.

    And Clausen? The length of his initial contract as a jouirneyman.