Skip to content

Browns Season Preview

The Browns Board
50 22 5.4k
  • It's better to be on the bandwagon when it's a winner, which is why the "experts" change their opinions so much.

  • 3-13?

    I'm lovin all the haters we can disprove. Just like in 07.

    @theclevelandsound said:

    3-13?

    I'm lovin all the haters we can disprove. Just like in 07.

    OH MY DEAR FREAKIN GOD!!!! put down the bone, stop kicking the horse!!! and quit talking about the '07 season. it's real pathetic that the single decent season you've had in the past DECADE is touted like it was more than a blind squirrel finding a nut.

    what about '99?

    what about '00?

    what about '01?

    what about '02?

    what about '03?

    what about '04?

    what about '05?

    what about '06?

    what about '08?

    what about '09?

    and now i hear how THIS is gonna be the year you disprove all the haters!?!?!?

    ROTFLMFAO!!!!

    the team is a joke on everything except defense (u hope) and somehow you browns fans find ways to not only get yourself pumped for the season (wich is fine, i wouldn't want any team's fans to be disinterested before the season even starts) but somehow talk yourselves into believing that you'll be this "amazing breakout team, that silences all the haters and paves the way for a decade of browns domination".

    lol.

    you guys gonna be lucky to have your team even MATCH what it did last season, let alone improve upon it.

    just write this down somewhere so i don't have to remind you guys of it next year, and the next year, and the next year, and the next year, etc...........ad nauseum.

  • Your only as good as your last game.......Last I checked we beat you

  • @theclevelandsound said:

    3-13?

    I'm lovin all the haters we can disprove. Just like in 07.

    OH MY DEAR FREAKIN GOD!!!! put down the bone, stop kicking the horse!!! and quit talking about the '07 season. it's real pathetic that the single decent season you've had in the past DECADE is touted like it was more than a blind squirrel finding a nut.

    what about '99?

    what about '00?

    what about '01?

    what about '02?

    what about '03?

    what about '04?

    what about '05?

    what about '06?

    what about '08?

    what about '09?

    and now i hear how THIS is gonna be the year you disprove all the haters!?!?!?

    ROTFLMFAO!!!!

    the team is a joke on everything except defense (u hope) and somehow you browns fans find ways to not only get yourself pumped for the season (wich is fine, i wouldn't want any team's fans to be disinterested before the season even starts) but somehow talk yourselves into believing that you'll be this "amazing breakout team, that silences all the haters and paves the way for a decade of browns domination".

    lol.

    you guys gonna be lucky to have your team even MATCH what it did last season, let alone improve upon it.

    just write this down somewhere so i don't have to remind you guys of it next year, and the next year, and the next year, and the next year, etc...........ad nauseum.

    Nafreleets said:

    OH MY DEAR FREAKIN GOD!!!! put down the bone, stop kicking the horse!!! and quit talking about the '07 season. it's real pathetic that the single decent season you've had in the past DECADE is touted like it was more than a blind squirrel finding a nut.

    what about '99?

    what about '00?

    what about '01?

    what about '02?

    what about '03?

    what about '04?

    what about '05?

    what about '06?

    what about '08?

    what about '09?

    and now i hear how THIS is gonna be the year you disprove all the haters!?!?!?

    ROTFLMFAO!!!!

    the team is a joke on everything except defense (u hope) and somehow you browns fans find ways to not only get yourself pumped for the season (wich is fine, i wouldn't want any team's fans to be disinterested before the season even starts) but somehow talk yourselves into believing that you'll be this "amazing breakout team, that silences all the haters and paves the way for a decade of browns domination".

    lol.

    you guys gonna be lucky to have your team even MATCH what it did last season, let alone improve upon it.

    just write this down somewhere so i don't have to remind you guys of it next year, and the next year, and the next year, and the next year, etc...........ad nauseum.

    i guess homotron finally changed his usename. you're impossible to deal with. try to be nice you still shit all over us. try to be snide and disrespectful and you still come back and shit all over the place. i guess you're just a piece of shit. go home.

  • Your only as good as your last game.......Last I checked we beat you

    nmills said:

    Your only as good as your last game.......Last I checked we beat you

    so that makes it what?

    twice in the last decade?

    christ, that should give you guys something to talk about for the next 20yrs!!!!

    oh, and to the guy who thinks i'm homotron.............dude, look at my join date.

    seriously, a browns fan AND stupid? some people's lives make me appreciate what i have.

  • nmills said:

    Your only as good as your last game.......Last I checked we beat you

    so that makes it what?

    twice in the last decade?

    christ, that should give you guys something to talk about for the next 20yrs!!!!

    oh, and to the guy who thinks i'm homotron.............dude, look at my join date.

    seriously, a browns fan AND stupid? some people's lives make me appreciate what i have.

    Nafreleets said:

    so that makes it what?

    twice in the last decade?

    christ, that should give you guys something to talk about for the next 20yrs!!!!

    oh, and to the guy who thinks i'm homotron.............dude, look at my join date.

    seriously, a browns fan AND stupid? some people's lives make me appreciate what i have.

    You'd think he would have a Steelers forum to be on. Look man, it's no secret that you are a fan of one of the greatest franchises in history. The championships don't lie but it gives you little right to come on here and taint the love of the game with you stating the obvious nonsense. 6 championships to none doesn't really require a rocket scientist to get your point. If you were a true fan and you truly appreciate what you have. Go talk about your team with like minded people that's what forums are for. I do believe that you much to discuss about your team. We are fans of the Browns your trash talk won't change that. As futile as your words are you'll keep this behavior up for years, really thinking you're discouraging fans of the rival team. If you want to continue to live this delusion, be my guest.

  • Nafreleets said:

    OH MY DEAR FREAKIN GOD!!!! put down the bone, stop kicking the horse!!! and quit talking about the '07 season. it's real pathetic that the single decent season you've had in the past DECADE is touted like it was more than a blind squirrel finding a nut.

    what about '99?

    what about '00?

    what about '01?

    what about '02?

    what about '03?

    what about '04?

    what about '05?

    what about '06?

    what about '08?

    what about '09?

    and now i hear how THIS is gonna be the year you disprove all the haters!?!?!?

    ROTFLMFAO!!!!

    the team is a joke on everything except defense (u hope) and somehow you browns fans find ways to not only get yourself pumped for the season (wich is fine, i wouldn't want any team's fans to be disinterested before the season even starts) but somehow talk yourselves into believing that you'll be this "amazing breakout team, that silences all the haters and paves the way for a decade of browns domination".

    lol.

    you guys gonna be lucky to have your team even MATCH what it did last season, let alone improve upon it.

    just write this down somewhere so i don't have to remind you guys of it next year, and the next year, and the next year, and the next year, etc...........ad nauseum.

    i guess homotron finally changed his usename. you're impossible to deal with. try to be nice you still shit all over us. try to be snide and disrespectful and you still come back and shit all over the place. i guess you're just a piece of shit. go home.

    @miktoxic said:

    i guess homotron finally changed his usename. you're impossible to deal with. try to be nice you still shit all over us. try to be snide and disrespectful and you still come back and shit all over the place. i guess you're just a piece of shit. go home.

    Yea definitely not me. I'm going to leave my cute username as well, if anything for a solid reminder of just how childish the moderators are on this message board.

  • It's better to be on the bandwagon when it's a winner, which is why the "experts" change their opinions so much.

    @samoth said:

    It's better to be on the bandwagon when it's a winner, which is why the "experts" change their opinions so much.

    They would sound so much smarter if they were objective. Come on even you have to admit that they all sound like baffoons come week 8. All the back pedaling starts and excuses get made. I turn it off until the game starts. I may watch the little weather and injury reports but that's about it.

  • Nafreleets said:

    so that makes it what?

    twice in the last decade?

    christ, that should give you guys something to talk about for the next 20yrs!!!!

    oh, and to the guy who thinks i'm homotron.............dude, look at my join date.

    seriously, a browns fan AND stupid? some people's lives make me appreciate what i have.

    You'd think he would have a Steelers forum to be on. Look man, it's no secret that you are a fan of one of the greatest franchises in history. The championships don't lie but it gives you little right to come on here and taint the love of the game with you stating the obvious nonsense. 6 championships to none doesn't really require a rocket scientist to get your point. If you were a true fan and you truly appreciate what you have. Go talk about your team with like minded people that's what forums are for. I do believe that you much to discuss about your team. We are fans of the Browns your trash talk won't change that. As futile as your words are you'll keep this behavior up for years, really thinking you're discouraging fans of the rival team. If you want to continue to live this delusion, be my guest.

    @marcus said:

    You'd think he would have a Steelers forum to be on. Look man, it's no secret that you are a fan of one of the greatest franchises in history. The championships don't lie but it gives you little right to come on here and taint the love of the game with you stating the obvious nonsense. 6 championships to none doesn't really require a rocket scientist to get your point. If you were a true fan and you truly appreciate what you have. Go talk about your team with like minded people that's what forums are for. I do believe that you much to discuss about your team. We are fans of the Browns your trash talk won't change that. As futile as your words are you'll keep this behavior up for years, really thinking you're discouraging fans of the rival team. If you want to continue to live this delusion, be my guest.

    Not every Steeler fan on this message board is here to troll and rub it in but you can be rest assured the Steeler fans that do post here are going to defend their team when a defense is necessary. I'm here for a rival perspective and have said it a thousand times. I'm received better by some than others and it's those individuals that realize I'm not here to drag the wounded through the dirt. I didn't even read that dudes post but I'll give it a look after making this one. Complacency is a hell of a thing. I would like to think the intelligent minority that posts on this board could welcome a alternate/rival perspective. You may not agree and that's fine. The problem lies with the other mass of individuals that can't tell their dick from their a$$hole. They stir up the threads where intelligent discussion COULD occur and make it impossible to discuss anything of value. Quite a few mouth breathers on this message board but for every one there are a few that are interested in improving their football intelligence via intelligent debate. You seem to subscribe to the latter. I can sling the sh.it when my hand is forced but I'd rather be the nice rival guy that simply has a different opinion a majority of the time. It won't happen and I don't care but that's my stance.

  • @marcus said:

    You'd think he would have a Steelers forum to be on. Look man, it's no secret that you are a fan of one of the greatest franchises in history. The championships don't lie but it gives you little right to come on here and taint the love of the game with you stating the obvious nonsense. 6 championships to none doesn't really require a rocket scientist to get your point. If you were a true fan and you truly appreciate what you have. Go talk about your team with like minded people that's what forums are for. I do believe that you much to discuss about your team. We are fans of the Browns your trash talk won't change that. As futile as your words are you'll keep this behavior up for years, really thinking you're discouraging fans of the rival team. If you want to continue to live this delusion, be my guest.

    Not every Steeler fan on this message board is here to troll and rub it in but you can be rest assured the Steeler fans that do post here are going to defend their team when a defense is necessary. I'm here for a rival perspective and have said it a thousand times. I'm received better by some than others and it's those individuals that realize I'm not here to drag the wounded through the dirt. I didn't even read that dudes post but I'll give it a look after making this one. Complacency is a hell of a thing. I would like to think the intelligent minority that posts on this board could welcome a alternate/rival perspective. You may not agree and that's fine. The problem lies with the other mass of individuals that can't tell their dick from their a$$hole. They stir up the threads where intelligent discussion COULD occur and make it impossible to discuss anything of value. Quite a few mouth breathers on this message board but for every one there are a few that are interested in improving their football intelligence via intelligent debate. You seem to subscribe to the latter. I can sling the sh.it when my hand is forced but I'd rather be the nice rival guy that simply has a different opinion a majority of the time. It won't happen and I don't care but that's my stance.

    Homotron said:

    Not every Steeler fan on this message board is here to troll and rub it in but you can be rest assured the Steeler fans that do post here are going to defend their team when a defense is necessary. I'm here for a rival perspective and have said it a thousand times. I'm received better by some than others and it's those individuals that realize I'm not here to drag the wounded through the dirt. I didn't even read that dudes post but I'll give it a look after making this one. Complacency is a hell of a thing. I would like to think the intelligent minority that posts on this board could welcome a alternate/rival perspective. You may not agree and that's fine. The problem lies with the other mass of individuals that can't tell their dick from their a$$hole. They stir up the threads where intelligent discussion COULD occur and make it impossible to discuss anything of value. Quite a few mouth breathers on this message board but for every one there are a few that are interested in improving their football intelligence via intelligent debate. You seem to subscribe to the latter. I can sling the sh.it when my hand is forced but I'd rather be the nice rival guy that simply has a different opinion a majority of the time. It won't happen and I don't care but that's my stance.

    I understand that, but there wasn't a need to state the obvious like he did. Plus I'm all for a rival's perspective if we're really talking about something. I'll tell anybody that I'm a Browns fan but above all I'm a football fan. I still pick a team to root for in the SB because I'm a fan of the game itself and I like to make my own analysis of teams strengths and weaknesses and see which one will use both to win the game. It's really fun to watch a team that clearly has fun playing the game. Most of those teams have winning records at the end of the season. It's true I hate to keep using your team as an example but I call it like I see it. While I was looking for that quote from SB XLIII for you I got see a team having fun and a team that wasn't. The team that was won the game. I look at these things and I really discussing things with people that see what I see regardless of rivalry or any of that. I do think some people are a little too close minded and miss the big picture but trash talk will not get them to see things from a different perspective and the point will be lost.

  • @gips said:

    Im also looking for the team to be competitive game in and game out win or lose, however i cant tolerate another season of losing games because of over-conservative and consistently gutless and stupid playcalling like we seen last year...holmgren should have a motto for both mangini and daboll that reads...play without balls and you both will lose it all....Our defense under ryan should make every game closer and more competitive as long as mangini stays out of the equation...😉

    I respect your opinion and I would love nothing more than to win the AFC North and have an explosive offense with a bone crunching defense. But let's be honest for a second. If you have a team that flops and doesn't play hard on the conservative plays just basic, run of the mill plays, what makes you think that any coach would call for deep passes or gadget plays? I want to see the team hustle every play for every second of that game on Thursday, Sunday, or Monday. The games are won and lost by the players. The coaches have their philosophies but it's the players that implement them on every down, quarter, and game. Case and point....Bill Belicheck (spelling) widely considered a genius of strategy (barring the whole taping thing). But without Tom Brady and a select handful of players, he would not be viewed in such a light. Same thing with other good coaches like Jimmy Johnson. Plays can be made on the most simplest design. A simple dive play can explode for a 76 yard dash to the end zone. (Willie Parker Super Bowl XL). The players must play the game to the fullest on every play conservative or not and that's not what I've seen from our beloved Browns.

    @marcus said:

    I respect your opinion and I would love nothing more than to win the AFC North and have an explosive offense with a bone crunching defense. But let's be honest for a second. If you have a team that flops and doesn't play hard on the conservative plays just basic, run of the mill plays, what makes you think that any coach would call for deep passes or gadget plays? I want to see the team hustle every play for every second of that game on Thursday, Sunday, or Monday. The games are won and lost by the players. The coaches have their philosophies but it's the players that implement them on every down, quarter, and game. Case and point....Bill Belicheck (spelling) widely considered a genius of strategy (barring the whole taping thing). But without Tom Brady and a select handful of players, he would not be viewed in such a light. Same thing with other good coaches like Jimmy Johnson. Plays can be made on the most simplest design. A simple dive play can explode for a 76 yard dash to the end zone. (Willie Parker Super Bowl XL). The players must play the game to the fullest on every play conservative or not and that's not what I've seen from our beloved Browns.

    I agree. We didn't lose games because of our conservative game plans. We lost games because the players were slacking and had no discipline. When the players hustled and played with discipline, we started winning... with the same "conservative game plans".

    Its also hard to get creative when my 12 year old niece would have played better QB than DA or BQ.

  • @marcus said:

    I respect your opinion and I would love nothing more than to win the AFC North and have an explosive offense with a bone crunching defense. But let's be honest for a second. If you have a team that flops and doesn't play hard on the conservative plays just basic, run of the mill plays, what makes you think that any coach would call for deep passes or gadget plays? I want to see the team hustle every play for every second of that game on Thursday, Sunday, or Monday. The games are won and lost by the players. The coaches have their philosophies but it's the players that implement them on every down, quarter, and game. Case and point....Bill Belicheck (spelling) widely considered a genius of strategy (barring the whole taping thing). But without Tom Brady and a select handful of players, he would not be viewed in such a light. Same thing with other good coaches like Jimmy Johnson. Plays can be made on the most simplest design. A simple dive play can explode for a 76 yard dash to the end zone. (Willie Parker Super Bowl XL). The players must play the game to the fullest on every play conservative or not and that's not what I've seen from our beloved Browns.

    I agree. We didn't lose games because of our conservative game plans. We lost games because the players were slacking and had no discipline. When the players hustled and played with discipline, we started winning... with the same "conservative game plans".

    Its also hard to get creative when my 12 year old niece would have played better QB than DA or BQ.

    @thaak said:

    I agree. We didn't lose games because of our conservative game plans. We lost games because the players were slacking and had no discipline. When the players hustled and played with discipline, we started winning... with the same "conservative game plans".

    Its also hard to get creative when my 12 year old niece would have played better QB than DA or BQ.

    Funny but also understand that it was just on DA or BQ. Even when they got the ball to the right players they rarely caught it. Funny story: My dad and I were watching this year's AFC Championship when Braylon Edwards caught that long touchdown pass. My dad and I joked when we saw the replay of Braylon's facial expression. We joked that even he was surprised that he caught the ball. It's been a number of things that has plagued the team from poor management all the way down to poor play. I think they have management in the right place now it's going to be up to the players.

  • @thaak said:

    I agree. We didn't lose games because of our conservative game plans. We lost games because the players were slacking and had no discipline. When the players hustled and played with discipline, we started winning... with the same "conservative game plans".

    Its also hard to get creative when my 12 year old niece would have played better QB than DA or BQ.

    Funny but also understand that it was just on DA or BQ. Even when they got the ball to the right players they rarely caught it. Funny story: My dad and I were watching this year's AFC Championship when Braylon Edwards caught that long touchdown pass. My dad and I joked when we saw the replay of Braylon's facial expression. We joked that even he was surprised that he caught the ball. It's been a number of things that has plagued the team from poor management all the way down to poor play. I think they have management in the right place now it's going to be up to the players.

    @marcus said:

    Funny but also understand that it was just on DA or BQ. Even when they got the ball to the right players they rarely caught it. Funny story: My dad and I were watching this year's AFC Championship when Braylon Edwards caught that long touchdown pass. My dad and I joked when we saw the replay of Braylon's facial expression. We joked that even he was surprised that he caught the ball. It's been a number of things that has plagued the team from poor management all the way down to poor play. I think they have management in the right place now it's going to be up to the players.

    That is true. The first half of the season was so horrible, it was literally, as I watched it, "Is this for real?" I thought I was being punked or something.

  • Homotron said:

    Not every Steeler fan on this message board is here to troll and rub it in but you can be rest assured the Steeler fans that do post here are going to defend their team when a defense is necessary. I'm here for a rival perspective and have said it a thousand times. I'm received better by some than others and it's those individuals that realize I'm not here to drag the wounded through the dirt. I didn't even read that dudes post but I'll give it a look after making this one. Complacency is a hell of a thing. I would like to think the intelligent minority that posts on this board could welcome a alternate/rival perspective. You may not agree and that's fine. The problem lies with the other mass of individuals that can't tell their dick from their a$$hole. They stir up the threads where intelligent discussion COULD occur and make it impossible to discuss anything of value. Quite a few mouth breathers on this message board but for every one there are a few that are interested in improving their football intelligence via intelligent debate. You seem to subscribe to the latter. I can sling the sh.it when my hand is forced but I'd rather be the nice rival guy that simply has a different opinion a majority of the time. It won't happen and I don't care but that's my stance.

    I understand that, but there wasn't a need to state the obvious like he did. Plus I'm all for a rival's perspective if we're really talking about something. I'll tell anybody that I'm a Browns fan but above all I'm a football fan. I still pick a team to root for in the SB because I'm a fan of the game itself and I like to make my own analysis of teams strengths and weaknesses and see which one will use both to win the game. It's really fun to watch a team that clearly has fun playing the game. Most of those teams have winning records at the end of the season. It's true I hate to keep using your team as an example but I call it like I see it. While I was looking for that quote from SB XLIII for you I got see a team having fun and a team that wasn't. The team that was won the game. I look at these things and I really discussing things with people that see what I see regardless of rivalry or any of that. I do think some people are a little too close minded and miss the big picture but trash talk will not get them to see things from a different perspective and the point will be lost.

    @marcus said:

    I understand that, but there wasn't a need to state the obvious like he did. Plus I'm all for a rival's perspective if we're really talking about something. I'll tell anybody that I'm a Browns fan but above all I'm a football fan. I still pick a team to root for in the SB because I'm a fan of the game itself and I like to make my own analysis of teams strengths and weaknesses and see which one will use both to win the game. It's really fun to watch a team that clearly has fun playing the game. Most of those teams have winning records at the end of the season. It's true I hate to keep using your team as an example but I call it like I see it. While I was looking for that quote from SB XLIII for you I got see a team having fun and a team that wasn't. The team that was won the game. I look at these things and I really discussing things with people that see what I see regardless of rivalry or any of that. I do think some people are a little too close minded and miss the big picture but trash talk will not get them to see things from a different perspective and the point will be lost.

    no one is trying to dissuade you from being a browns fan. i secretly sometimes root for the browns to get better because i love the rivalry and want to see it more competetive.(i will NEVER admit to that again.).

    what i felt the need to squash is the constant, year after year "we're goin all the way" talk.

    say you think your team will be improved.

    say you think they are making good moves for the future.

    say you think they have a good shot at being over .500 even.

    but enough with the 14-2 best in the AFC and superbowl bound talk.

    K?

  • To me it boils down to a few keys for the record to improve......

    Will Delhomme be a turnover machine?

    Can the defense stop the friggin run at all?

    If both of these areas turn out to be improved, I think the running game could lead the team to a surprising record. Also, I have a lot more faith in Mangini than most.

    Floor = 5-11

    Ceiling = 10-6

  • @marcus said:

    I understand that, but there wasn't a need to state the obvious like he did. Plus I'm all for a rival's perspective if we're really talking about something. I'll tell anybody that I'm a Browns fan but above all I'm a football fan. I still pick a team to root for in the SB because I'm a fan of the game itself and I like to make my own analysis of teams strengths and weaknesses and see which one will use both to win the game. It's really fun to watch a team that clearly has fun playing the game. Most of those teams have winning records at the end of the season. It's true I hate to keep using your team as an example but I call it like I see it. While I was looking for that quote from SB XLIII for you I got see a team having fun and a team that wasn't. The team that was won the game. I look at these things and I really discussing things with people that see what I see regardless of rivalry or any of that. I do think some people are a little too close minded and miss the big picture but trash talk will not get them to see things from a different perspective and the point will be lost.

    no one is trying to dissuade you from being a browns fan. i secretly sometimes root for the browns to get better because i love the rivalry and want to see it more competetive.(i will NEVER admit to that again.).

    what i felt the need to squash is the constant, year after year "we're goin all the way" talk.

    say you think your team will be improved.

    say you think they are making good moves for the future.

    say you think they have a good shot at being over .500 even.

    but enough with the 14-2 best in the AFC and superbowl bound talk.

    K?

    Nafreleets said:

    no one is trying to dissuade you from being a browns fan. i secretly sometimes root for the browns to get better because i love the rivalry and want to see it more competetive.(i will NEVER admit to that again.).

    what i felt the need to squash is the constant, year after year "we're goin all the way" talk.

    say you think your team will be improved.

    say you think they are making good moves for the future.

    say you think they have a good shot at being over .500 even.

    but enough with the 14-2 best in the AFC and superbowl bound talk.

    K?

    I personally never said anything of the sort. 14-2 is difficult for any team let alone the Browns. Besides I think the best teams are 12-4 because that gives -them just enough exposure to losing not take much for granted. 14-2 is one of those records that breeds little success in the playoffs Chargers for example posted that record several times and were beaten by teams that were 11-5, 12-4, so on and so forth. I feel that this Browns team will make strides this year and that depends on a few variables most of which I've already mentioned in prior posts. I think some of the outlandish beliefs that this is a super bowl team are far fetched too but damn dude that tirade was a bit much. If I took you the wrong way then I'm sorry. Just saying that wanting the best out your team is something all true fans hope for.

  • Jeff Schudel's NFL notes: Ex-scout is optimistic on the Browns

    Published: Sunday, July 25, 2010

    By Jeff Schudel

    [email protected]

    Dave Razzano is a name unfamiliar to most fans, but the former NFL scout for the 49ers, Cardinals and Rams is well-respected around the league, so when he has something to say about the Browns, it's worth paying attention.

    "I think the Browns are going to be a solid 8-8 team," Razzano recently told Dewey Hammond of Playmaker Mobile. "They'll be very competitive. Their defense is on the rise.

    "Getting Jake Delhomme will help them. It will help them with the efficiency of their offense. It'll help them in the locker room. I think they'll go toward more of a West Coast offense. Short passing attack. They are a little light at receiver with some young guys just starting to come into their own. They have a young running back with Montario Hardesty, who I think is going to be their bell-cow back this year. I think he could compete for Rookie of the Year this season, and end up having close to 300 carries. He's much better than Jerome Harrison."

    Razzano said this is the best Browns team since the franchise was restored in 1999.

    Razzano worked as an NFL scout for 22 years and is currently a correspondent for Playmaker Mobile. He was a scout for five teams that advanced to the Super Bowl. He earned Super Bowl rings with the 49ers in 1989 and '90 and the Rams in 2000.

    Razzano was scouting for the Arizona Cardinals in 2007. He advised them to draft running back Adrian Peterson or linebacker Patrick Willis with the fifth overall pick. The Cardinals took tackle Levi Brown instead.

    In 2007, Razzano rated Ted Ginn Jr. as a fourth-round pick. The Dolphins took Ginn 10th in the first round and he was a major bust.

    It's too bad Razzano wasn't working for the Browns in 2000 (not that Dwight Clark would have listened) because Razzano rated No. 9 overall pick Brian Urlacher as the best player in the draft that year. The Browns had the No. 1 pick and used it on Courtney Brown.

    "They have a really good offensive line, a seasoned quarterback, and I think the running game and short passing game will keep them in games," Razzano said of the Browns. "I think their defense is going to win some games for them. They don't have a lot of depth in their front three — they're playing the (3-4) — but their linebackers and DBs? They have some impressive linebackers and corners on that team.

    "I think they're going to play hard, they'll play solid, they'll surprise some people, I don't think they're going to contend in the division they're in. But they're going to be competitive and play a lot of close games this year."

    Razzano is confident Delhomme will bounce back from throwing eight touchdown passes and 18 interceptions with Carolina last season. He blamed the Panthers for not giving Delhomme a good supporting cast and bashed former Browns quarterbacks Brady Quinn and Derek Anderson.

    "They have a decent cast in Cleveland," Razzano said. "Yeah, they're young, but with the West Coast offense and Jake Delhomme and what Holmgren is doing — they've got Mangini, but a lot of what they'll be doing is Holmgren — I just think Delhomme is much better than they've had, and he was a great passer in the past.

    "Holmgren knew he had to change that position, and he did so right off the bat. Anything is better than those other two guys. Those other two guys were never consistent at all, especially Brady Quinn. I think Delhomme and that system and that solid offensive line, with his good QB instincts, I think he'll be fine. He's struggled, but a lot of his struggles at Carolina weren't all Jake Delhomme's fault."

    Razzano predicted Brian Robiskie could catch 60 passes this season. Robiskie caught seven as a rookie last year.

    The Browns are on the right track, Razzano said, but he added they are not a finished product.

    "This team has more talent than all of the last decade," he said. "They need to keep adding players, especially on defense and especially with the front three. They need to keep adding offensive skill.

    "They need a young quarterback. They need to build this thing up. They're still a ways off. They have some good linebackers. They're fine there. Sheldon Brown, who they got from the Eagles, he's still in his prime. They have the right people in place now. They've got the best front office they've had in a long time. They just need a couple years to add players and free agents. The environment is there, and they'll be competitive along the way."

    The Browns had only two winning seasons in their first 11 years. They were 9-7 in 2002 and 10-6 in 2007. They haven't won a playoff game since 1994.

  • good find, nmills! you can tell razzano actually knows about the browns and their roster. he's looking at the browns from a scouts perspective. too bad other people can't be proffessional like this when talking about a team (mike lombardi).

  • Actually, I am not a big fan of simply reproducing some newspaper or website article on here.

  • Cleveland Browns (Last Year: 5-11)

    2010 NFL Season Preview:

    Veteran Additions:

    QB Jake Delhomme, QB Seneca Wallace, FB Peyton Hillis, WR Bobby Engram, TE Ben Watson, TE Alex Smith, OT Tony Pashos, DE/OLB Chris Gocong, ILB Scott Fujita, CB Sheldon Brown, K Shaun Suisham.

    Draft Picks:

    CB Joe Haden, S T.J. Ward, RB Montario Hardesty, QB Colt McCoy, G Shawn Lauvao, S Larry Asante, WR Carlton Mitchell, DE/DT Clifton Geathers.

    Offseason Losses:

    QB Brady Quinn, QB Derek Anderson, RB Jamal Lewis, WR Donte' Stallworth, WR Mike Furrey, OT Ryan Tucker, G Rex Hadnot, C Hank Fraley, DE/DT Corey Williams, DE/OLB Kamerion Wimbley, DE/OLB Alex Hall, S Brodney Pool.

    2010 Cleveland Browns Offense:

    It's a shame, but the Browns lack any sort of plan - unless they intentionally downgraded most of their offensive positions this spring to perhaps make the NFL more challenging for themselves. It's half humorous, half confusing (and for Browns fans, half depressing); in his first offseason as Cleveland's decision-maker, Mike Holmgren orchestrated a series of bizarre, head-scratching moves.

    Starting at the quarterback position, Holmgren barely inherited anything. Brady Quinn's deep accuracy was so anemic that all of his long throws sailed out of bounds. But Quinn was at least young and somewhat promising. Derek Anderson, meanwhile, couldn't throw a seashell into an ocean, but still threw 29 touchdowns in 2007.

    Holmgren jettisoned Quinn and Anderson, and brought in the dynamic duo of Seneca Wallace and Jake Delhomme. Wallace is a career backup - nothing more - and Delhomme is coming off one of the worst seasons any quarterback has ever endured. Delhomme was a bona fide turnover machine, committing 18 interceptions (to just eight touchdowns) and six fumbles in 11 games. Delhomme also maintained a 55.5 completion percentage and 6.3 YPA - numbers that would make Ken Dorsey proud.

    More optimistic Browns fans may cite that Delhomme had "just one bad season." More accurately, Delhomme had just one truly horrific season. He didn't exactly thrive in 2008, when he posted a 15-12 touchdown-to-interception ratio and a 59.4 completion percentage - and that's not including his disastrous performance against the Cardinals in the playoffs. The problem wasn't just some slump; his arm strength has all but vanished since he had Tommy John surgery two years ago. Meanwhile, Colt McCoy, selected in the third round of the 2010 NFL Draft, is just a long-term project with Kyle Orton-type upside.

    Delhomme had to force the issue last year in Carolina because no one aside from Steve Smith could get open. With that in mind, it's almost scary to imagine what Delhomme could be capable in Cleveland. The Browns don't have anything close to resembling a No. 1 wideout. Their top receiver, Mohamed Massaquoi, caught 34 passes for 624 yards and three touchdowns as a rookie in 2009. Joshua Cribbs, a gimmicky player, is sadly the No. 2 option unless second-year Brian Robiskie can step up. At tight end, Ben Watson and Evan Moore will compete for targets. Moore showed some flashes toward the end of last season, but the lethargic Watson, one of Holmgren's downgrades, could steal snaps and hinder Moore's growth.

    A third downgrade was made at running back. Jerome Harrison had an amazing three-game stretch to close out the 2009 campaign, compiling 561 rushing yards and five touchdowns on a 5.3 average despite having nothing at quarterback to keep opposing defenses from stacking the line of scrimmage. This, however, wasn't enough for Holmgren, who felt the need to spend a second-round pick in the 2010 NFL Draft on Montario Hardesty.

    Eric Mangini has reportedly been very impressed with Hardesty's intelligence. That's great and everything, but is Hardesty a better runner than Harrison? That's very doubtful considering how brilliant Harrison looked in those three contests. Unless Hardesty proves himself as an instant stud, why use such a high selection to downgrade a position? It just doesn't make any sense. If Holmgren really wanted a power back, he could have waited until Round 5 for Anthony Dixon.

    As far as the offensive line is concerned, the Browns are well off in some areas. Left tackle Joe Thomas is one of the top players at his position in the NFL. Center Alex Mack had a brilliant rookie campaign in 2009.

    However, that's where the positives end. Left guard Eric Steinbach was terrible last year, and has been seeing some second-team action in minicamp. Pork Chop Womack isn't a poor lineman, but isn't very effective either. Newly acquired right tackle Tony Pashos simply should not be starting. This would be another downgrade, but the Browns had nothing here in 2009.

    2010 Cleveland Browns Defense:

    If only Cleveland's offense was projected to be as good as its defense. It's hard to believe, but the Browns shockingly might have a chance to possess a top-15 stop unit in 2010.

    Cleveland is really strong up front. Shaun Rogers' broken leg in late November was actually a blessing in disguise because the coaching staff was able to see how effective Athyba Rubin was as a replacement. Rubin proved to be a really stout run defender in his five starts. He's penciled in at nose tackle, pushing Rogers out to end across from Robaire Smith, another run-plugger. Opposing teams are going to find it really difficult to get anything on the ground versus Cleveland.

    The Browns surprisingly had 40 sacks in 2009, but didn't get most of them until late. Matt Roth and Marcus Benard really came on during the final few weeks of the season; they combined for 5.5 sacks from Week 14 on. Without much else at rush linebacker, Roth and Benard will have to pick up where they left off if Cleveland is to win some games in 2010.

    Lots of pressure can only help an already decent secondary. Cornerback Eric Wright, one of the more underrated players in the NFL, will have the luxury of starting across from No. 7 overall pick Joe Haden. If Haden isn't ready for the NFL, the Browns can simply insert stud corner Sheldon Brown, who might just be the top nickel in the league this year.

    The safety positions aren't nearly as strong. Second-round rookie T.J. Ward, considered widely to be a reach, is the favorite to start at free safety because he doesn't have any competition. Strong safety Abram Elam, a marginal player, may struggle to hold off fifth-round rookie Larry Asante for the starting gig. Elam certainly didn't do himself any favors by skipping most of minicamp.

    Speaking of which, inside linebacker D'Qwell Jackson was threatening to miss mandatory minicamp as well prior to being scared into signing his 1-year tender. Jackson is a good player, but didn't warrant any interest for his second-round tender because he's coming off a torn chest. The Browns lack a second banana for Jackson; Scott Fujita, David Bowens and Kaluka Maiava are all underwhelming options as starters.

    2010 Cleveland Browns Schedule and Intangibles:

    The Dawg Pound is just not an intimidating place to play. Since their expansion year in 1999, the Browns are a dreadful 31-57 as hosts (4-12 the past two seasons).

    Joshua Cribbs is the best return man in the business. He had four special-teams score last year, giving him eight the past three seasons. The Browns didn't allow a score.

    Phil Dawson continued to kick well, nailing 17-of-19 attempts in 2009 (he missed five games), including 5-of-6 from 40-49. Dawson has been worse than 82.8 percent only once since 2002.

    Dave Zastudil was not a "disastudil," as Chris Berman would say. On the contrary, he had a 44.7 average with more than half of his punts (25-of-49) inside the 20. Unfortunately, Zastudil missed half the season with a knee injury that required surgery.

    Amazingly, the Browns have a shot to begin the year 2-0, as they play the Buccaneers and Chiefs. After that? Well, they may never win again. Check out Cleveland's next seven games: at Ravens, vs. Bengals, vs. Falcons, at Steelers, at Saints, vs. Patriots, vs. Jets.

    2010 Cleveland Browns Analysis: The Browns are going to play tough defense and run the ball as much as possible. This strategy would work in the 1990s, but in the wake of the no-contact rules, the NFL has become a passing league. Aside from perhaps Buffalo, Cleveland has the worst quarterback situation of all 32 teams, which will make it difficult for them to win more than five games this season.

    The reason the Browns haven't made the playoffs since 2002 is because they keep passing on franchise quarterbacks. In 2004, they didn't take Ben Roethlisberger, opting for Kellen Winslow even though an old Jeff Garcia was their starter. A year later, they passed on Aaron Rodgers for Braylon Edwards even though their signal-caller was Trent Dilfer. This past April, they could have obtained Jimmy Clausen, but selected a fifth-round safety prospect instead, assuring themselves of an entire season with Jake Delhomme.

    It's painful to be a Browns fan because the team just doesn't learn from its mistakes. Fortunately, it'll have another chance this upcoming April with Andrew Luck, Jake Locker and Ryan Mallett all potentially available.

    Projection: 3-13 (4th in AFC North

    nmills said:

    Cleveland Browns (Last Year: 5-11)

    2010 NFL Season Preview:

    Veteran Additions:

    QB Jake Delhomme, QB Seneca Wallace, FB Peyton Hillis, WR Bobby Engram, TE Ben Watson, TE Alex Smith, OT Tony Pashos, DE/OLB Chris Gocong, ILB Scott Fujita, CB Sheldon Brown, K Shaun Suisham.

    Draft Picks:

    CB Joe Haden, S T.J. Ward, RB Montario Hardesty, QB Colt McCoy, G Shawn Lauvao, S Larry Asante, WR Carlton Mitchell, DE/DT Clifton Geathers.

    Offseason Losses:

    QB Brady Quinn, QB Derek Anderson, RB Jamal Lewis, WR Donte' Stallworth, WR Mike Furrey, OT Ryan Tucker, G Rex Hadnot, C Hank Fraley, DE/DT Corey Williams, DE/OLB Kamerion Wimbley, DE/OLB Alex Hall, S Brodney Pool.

    2010 Cleveland Browns Offense:

    It's a shame, but the Browns lack any sort of plan - unless they intentionally downgraded most of their offensive positions this spring to perhaps make the NFL more challenging for themselves. It's half humorous, half confusing (and for Browns fans, half depressing); in his first offseason as Cleveland's decision-maker, Mike Holmgren orchestrated a series of bizarre, head-scratching moves.

    Starting at the quarterback position, Holmgren barely inherited anything. Brady Quinn's deep accuracy was so anemic that all of his long throws sailed out of bounds. But Quinn was at least young and somewhat promising. Derek Anderson, meanwhile, couldn't throw a seashell into an ocean, but still threw 29 touchdowns in 2007.

    Holmgren jettisoned Quinn and Anderson, and brought in the dynamic duo of Seneca Wallace and Jake Delhomme. Wallace is a career backup - nothing more - and Delhomme is coming off one of the worst seasons any quarterback has ever endured. Delhomme was a bona fide turnover machine, committing 18 interceptions (to just eight touchdowns) and six fumbles in 11 games. Delhomme also maintained a 55.5 completion percentage and 6.3 YPA - numbers that would make Ken Dorsey proud.

    More optimistic Browns fans may cite that Delhomme had "just one bad season." More accurately, Delhomme had just one truly horrific season. He didn't exactly thrive in 2008, when he posted a 15-12 touchdown-to-interception ratio and a 59.4 completion percentage - and that's not including his disastrous performance against the Cardinals in the playoffs. The problem wasn't just some slump; his arm strength has all but vanished since he had Tommy John surgery two years ago. Meanwhile, Colt McCoy, selected in the third round of the 2010 NFL Draft, is just a long-term project with Kyle Orton-type upside.

    Delhomme had to force the issue last year in Carolina because no one aside from Steve Smith could get open. With that in mind, it's almost scary to imagine what Delhomme could be capable in Cleveland. The Browns don't have anything close to resembling a No. 1 wideout. Their top receiver, Mohamed Massaquoi, caught 34 passes for 624 yards and three touchdowns as a rookie in 2009. Joshua Cribbs, a gimmicky player, is sadly the No. 2 option unless second-year Brian Robiskie can step up. At tight end, Ben Watson and Evan Moore will compete for targets. Moore showed some flashes toward the end of last season, but the lethargic Watson, one of Holmgren's downgrades, could steal snaps and hinder Moore's growth.

    A third downgrade was made at running back. Jerome Harrison had an amazing three-game stretch to close out the 2009 campaign, compiling 561 rushing yards and five touchdowns on a 5.3 average despite having nothing at quarterback to keep opposing defenses from stacking the line of scrimmage. This, however, wasn't enough for Holmgren, who felt the need to spend a second-round pick in the 2010 NFL Draft on Montario Hardesty.

    Eric Mangini has reportedly been very impressed with Hardesty's intelligence. That's great and everything, but is Hardesty a better runner than Harrison? That's very doubtful considering how brilliant Harrison looked in those three contests. Unless Hardesty proves himself as an instant stud, why use such a high selection to downgrade a position? It just doesn't make any sense. If Holmgren really wanted a power back, he could have waited until Round 5 for Anthony Dixon.

    As far as the offensive line is concerned, the Browns are well off in some areas. Left tackle Joe Thomas is one of the top players at his position in the NFL. Center Alex Mack had a brilliant rookie campaign in 2009.

    However, that's where the positives end. Left guard Eric Steinbach was terrible last year, and has been seeing some second-team action in minicamp. Pork Chop Womack isn't a poor lineman, but isn't very effective either. Newly acquired right tackle Tony Pashos simply should not be starting. This would be another downgrade, but the Browns had nothing here in 2009.

    2010 Cleveland Browns Defense:

    If only Cleveland's offense was projected to be as good as its defense. It's hard to believe, but the Browns shockingly might have a chance to possess a top-15 stop unit in 2010.

    Cleveland is really strong up front. Shaun Rogers' broken leg in late November was actually a blessing in disguise because the coaching staff was able to see how effective Athyba Rubin was as a replacement. Rubin proved to be a really stout run defender in his five starts. He's penciled in at nose tackle, pushing Rogers out to end across from Robaire Smith, another run-plugger. Opposing teams are going to find it really difficult to get anything on the ground versus Cleveland.

    The Browns surprisingly had 40 sacks in 2009, but didn't get most of them until late. Matt Roth and Marcus Benard really came on during the final few weeks of the season; they combined for 5.5 sacks from Week 14 on. Without much else at rush linebacker, Roth and Benard will have to pick up where they left off if Cleveland is to win some games in 2010.

    Lots of pressure can only help an already decent secondary. Cornerback Eric Wright, one of the more underrated players in the NFL, will have the luxury of starting across from No. 7 overall pick Joe Haden. If Haden isn't ready for the NFL, the Browns can simply insert stud corner Sheldon Brown, who might just be the top nickel in the league this year.

    The safety positions aren't nearly as strong. Second-round rookie T.J. Ward, considered widely to be a reach, is the favorite to start at free safety because he doesn't have any competition. Strong safety Abram Elam, a marginal player, may struggle to hold off fifth-round rookie Larry Asante for the starting gig. Elam certainly didn't do himself any favors by skipping most of minicamp.

    Speaking of which, inside linebacker D'Qwell Jackson was threatening to miss mandatory minicamp as well prior to being scared into signing his 1-year tender. Jackson is a good player, but didn't warrant any interest for his second-round tender because he's coming off a torn chest. The Browns lack a second banana for Jackson; Scott Fujita, David Bowens and Kaluka Maiava are all underwhelming options as starters.

    2010 Cleveland Browns Schedule and Intangibles:

    The Dawg Pound is just not an intimidating place to play. Since their expansion year in 1999, the Browns are a dreadful 31-57 as hosts (4-12 the past two seasons).

    Joshua Cribbs is the best return man in the business. He had four special-teams score last year, giving him eight the past three seasons. The Browns didn't allow a score.

    Phil Dawson continued to kick well, nailing 17-of-19 attempts in 2009 (he missed five games), including 5-of-6 from 40-49. Dawson has been worse than 82.8 percent only once since 2002.

    Dave Zastudil was not a "disastudil," as Chris Berman would say. On the contrary, he had a 44.7 average with more than half of his punts (25-of-49) inside the 20. Unfortunately, Zastudil missed half the season with a knee injury that required surgery.

    Amazingly, the Browns have a shot to begin the year 2-0, as they play the Buccaneers and Chiefs. After that? Well, they may never win again. Check out Cleveland's next seven games: at Ravens, vs. Bengals, vs. Falcons, at Steelers, at Saints, vs. Patriots, vs. Jets.

    2010 Cleveland Browns Analysis: The Browns are going to play tough defense and run the ball as much as possible. This strategy would work in the 1990s, but in the wake of the no-contact rules, the NFL has become a passing league. Aside from perhaps Buffalo, Cleveland has the worst quarterback situation of all 32 teams, which will make it difficult for them to win more than five games this season.

    The reason the Browns haven't made the playoffs since 2002 is because they keep passing on franchise quarterbacks. In 2004, they didn't take Ben Roethlisberger, opting for Kellen Winslow even though an old Jeff Garcia was their starter. A year later, they passed on Aaron Rodgers for Braylon Edwards even though their signal-caller was Trent Dilfer. This past April, they could have obtained Jimmy Clausen, but selected a fifth-round safety prospect instead, assuring themselves of an entire season with Jake Delhomme.

    It's painful to be a Browns fan because the team just doesn't learn from its mistakes. Fortunately, it'll have another chance this upcoming April with Andrew Luck, Jake Locker and Ryan Mallett all potentially available.

    Projection: 3-13 (4th in AFC North

    Considering the opposition and considering the MASSIVE upgrade in management............with a little luck 8=8