Skip to content

i really hope that this isn't true

The Browns Board
30 23 3.3k
  • I would absolutely hate to see Phil go, but there is a pretty strong list of kickers that are becoming free

    agents this off-season.

    Ryan Longwell, MIN

    Stephen Gostkowski, NE

    Mason Crosby, GB

    Adam Vinatieri, IND

    Nick Folk, NYJ

    David Akers, PHI

    Olindo Mare, SEA

    M MudratDetector wrote on last edited by
    #18

    @brownandorange said:

    I would absolutely hate to see Phil go, but there is a pretty strong list of kickers that are becoming free

    agents this off-season.

    Ryan Longwell, MIN

    Stephen Gostkowski, NE

    Mason Crosby, GB

    Adam Vinatieri, IND

    Nick Folk, NYJ

    David Akers, PHI

    Olindo Mare, SEA

    Jeff Reed, PIT

    jeff reed sucks. bigtime.

  • @brownandorange said:

    I would absolutely hate to see Phil go, but there is a pretty strong list of kickers that are becoming free

    agents this off-season.

    Ryan Longwell, MIN

    Stephen Gostkowski, NE

    Mason Crosby, GB

    Adam Vinatieri, IND

    Nick Folk, NYJ

    David Akers, PHI

    Olindo Mare, SEA

    Jeff Reed, PIT

    jeff reed sucks. bigtime.

    BrownsBackerB BrownsBacker wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @mudratdetector said:

    jeff reed sucks. bigtime.

    even steeler fans will tell you this, its just an undeniable truth.

  • kamac19K kamac19 wrote on last edited by
    #20

    Think we would all like to see Dawson stay and finish his career with us, but am sure he would be expecting a good final payday to sign with us again, and maybe that money might be better pushed into a FA WR, and try to get more touchdowns rather than being forced into relying on a good placekicker to get us our points, am sure they wont go into the FA for a kicker either, as what is the point in that you will just spend the same type of money as will to bring back Dawson.

    So if he doesnt come back, would expect a not so well known kicker or even a rookie for next season.

  • TheClevelandSoundT TheClevelandSound wrote on last edited by
    #21

    I will literally cry if he leaves. He is in my top 10 of best Browns of all time. Holmgren will make a HUGE mistake if he doesnt resign him, not just for his ability, but for what he means to Cleveland. For me, this would have the same magnitude as LeBron leaving. Except I will miss Phil forever.

  • L ledzepfan1 wrote on last edited by
    #22

    I'd hate to see phil go. But he is getting older and you have to think of the positives. We are going to pick up a kicker who's young and terrible which will be excellent for us so that we are forced to go for it when it's fourth and goal on the 1 yard line. I swear, it's like we always play for field goals and not touchdowns.

  • medicinemanM medicineman wrote on last edited by
    #23

    I like him to but it seem to me he always misses on field goals of 45 yards and longer. Having a new young kicker can't be a horrible thing

  • When you have a good kicker, you keep him, plain & simple. I don't care how old he is. I don't know if he'll be like Jan Stenerud or Morten Anderson, kicking into his 40s, but sign the guy for a 3 year contract, see how it goes.

    He's hit some memorable FGs....vs Pittsburgh at 3 Rivers in 1999, the unreal 48 yd one vs Buffalo in the snow in 2007 for instance. I hope it's not the end of Dawson.

    slowburnS slowburn wrote on last edited by
    #24

    @bob806 said:

    When you have a good kicker, you keep him, plain & simple. I don't care how old he is. I don't know if he'll be like Jan Stenerud or Morten Anderson, kicking into his 40s, but sign the guy for a 3 year contract, see how it goes.

    He's hit some memorable FGs....vs Pittsburgh at 3 Rivers in 1999, the unreal 48 yd one vs Buffalo in the snow in 2007 for instance. I hope it's not the end of Dawson.

    His unbelievable kick in the 07 Buffalo game is as good as it gets. Will go down in the annals as one of the greatest. Hate to see him go.

  • I like him to but it seem to me he always misses on field goals of 45 yards and longer. Having a new young kicker can't be a horrible thing

    TheClevelandSoundT TheClevelandSound wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @medicineman said:

    I like him to but it seem to me he always misses on field goals of 45 yards and longer. Having a new young kicker can't be a horrible thing

    To me its not about his kicking ability. He is all we have left that still figuratively says xxxx YOU to Art Modell. He is our only remaining 99er. He should always be on the team. Always.

    And if he does leave, I will take bets on how long it takes before his name is on our stadium along with the other Browns greats.

  • @medicineman said:

    I like him to but it seem to me he always misses on field goals of 45 yards and longer. Having a new young kicker can't be a horrible thing

    To me its not about his kicking ability. He is all we have left that still figuratively says xxxx YOU to Art Modell. He is our only remaining 99er. He should always be on the team. Always.

    And if he does leave, I will take bets on how long it takes before his name is on our stadium along with the other Browns greats.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #26

    @theclevelandsound said:

    To me its not about his kicking ability. He is all we have left that still figuratively says xxxx YOU to Art Modell. He is our only remaining 99er. He should always be on the team. Always.

    And if he does leave, I will take bets on how long it takes before his name is on our stadium along with the other Browns greats.

    If he does leave, it won't be long before he gets picked up by another team. Way up there in FG accuracy. So he'll get at least a couple more million dollar paydays either with the Browns or some other team. The lousy thing is he needs something like 20 points to pass Don Cockroft for second place in all-time team scoring. If he had played for a decent team his entire career, he'd easily be in the top 25 all time in scoring.

  • @theclevelandsound said:

    To me its not about his kicking ability. He is all we have left that still figuratively says xxxx YOU to Art Modell. He is our only remaining 99er. He should always be on the team. Always.

    And if he does leave, I will take bets on how long it takes before his name is on our stadium along with the other Browns greats.

    If he does leave, it won't be long before he gets picked up by another team. Way up there in FG accuracy. So he'll get at least a couple more million dollar paydays either with the Browns or some other team. The lousy thing is he needs something like 20 points to pass Don Cockroft for second place in all-time team scoring. If he had played for a decent team his entire career, he'd easily be in the top 25 all time in scoring.

    BrownsBackerB BrownsBacker wrote on last edited by
    #27

    @hoorta said:

    If he had played for a decent team his entire career, he'd easily be in the top 25 all time in scoring.

    I disagree...I think his numbers are so high because we've settled for FG's for a decade.

  • @hoorta said:

    If he had played for a decent team his entire career, he'd easily be in the top 25 all time in scoring.

    I disagree...I think his numbers are so high because we've settled for FG's for a decade.

    B bringbackbrownie2 wrote on last edited by
    #28

    @brownsbacker said:

    I disagree...I think his numbers are so high because we've settled for FG's for a decade.

    This is probably somewhat true. But you still have to make the FG, which Dawson has done over and over again...

  • TheClevelandSoundT TheClevelandSound wrote on last edited by
    #29

    Holmgren and Dawson had meeting during practice.

    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5971586

  • TheClevelandSoundT TheClevelandSound wrote on last edited by
    #30

    http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...eric_mangi.html

    Dawson's swan song:

    Kicker Phil Dawson knows he may have kicked his last field goal as a Brown, a 19-yarder in the second quarter. His house is sold and he'll be a free agent.

    "Today was a unique day," said Dawson. "I was overwhelmed by the outpouring of support by fans ... people that I've become friends with in the community. This has been a pretty emotional week for me and I'm just overwhelmed with how just how great people have been to me."

    After the game, Dawson had his picture taken on the field with snapper Ryan Pontbriand.

    "I've been with Ryan longer than any teammate in my career and we've developed a pretty special relationship," said Dawson. "So we just wanted to make sure that we got a pretty good picture."

    Dawson said he'll go back home to Texas, "get in the sunshine a little bit, do a little fishing and wait to let the dust settle."

    As for wanting to play for a winner, he said, "As a competitor you want to win. But in this league there's no guarantees. You can pick a place and then have a terrible season there. For me, it's really going to be what's best for my family. I've earned the right to have that choice."

    He said he hasn't ruled anything out, including a return to the Browns.