Skip to content

Randy Lerner watching soccer during Steeler game

The Browns Board
34 20 2.5k
  • L longhorn wrote on last edited by
    #11

    Be thankful for the way it is. I bet about 99% of the Dallas Cowboys fans would be happy if Jerry Jones watched soccer during every Cowboys game.

  • C ClevelandBigDawg wrote on last edited by
    #12

    Being that Holmgren is the president of this team, I have a feeling Holmgren is in charge, not Lerner, and doubt Lerner is approving much of anything.

    So who gives a shit?

  • S Speedyd900rr wrote on last edited by Speedyd900rr
    #13

    Im sure that once we get better he will be around more. Chances are he doesn't want to go to the games and hear a bunch of drunk loud mouth fans telling him to fu$k off and all kinds of other stuff.

    Could you imagine the things that would of been said or chanted about him yesterday if he were there?

  • Im sure that once we get better he will be around more. Chances are he doesn't want to go to the games and hear a bunch of drunk loud mouth fans telling him to fu$k off and all kinds of other stuff.

    Could you imagine the things that would of been said or chanted about him yesterday if he were there?

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #14

    @speedyd900rr said:

    Im sure that once we get better he will be around more. Chances are he doesn't want to go to the games and hear a bunch of drunk loud mouth fans telling him to fu$k off and all kinds of other stuff.

    Could you imagine the things that would of been said or chanted about him yesterday if he were there?

    Probably nothing worse than he is called in Birmingham, England of the team there doesn't fair well, which it hasn't, here is its record:

    G W D L

    Home Record 10 4 4 2

    Away Record 10 1 2 7

    Overall Record 20 5 6 9

    5 wins, 6 draws, 9 losses. Not much different than the Browns.

  • @speedyd900rr said:

    Im sure that once we get better he will be around more. Chances are he doesn't want to go to the games and hear a bunch of drunk loud mouth fans telling him to fu$k off and all kinds of other stuff.

    Could you imagine the things that would of been said or chanted about him yesterday if he were there?

    Probably nothing worse than he is called in Birmingham, England of the team there doesn't fair well, which it hasn't, here is its record:

    G W D L

    Home Record 10 4 4 2

    Away Record 10 1 2 7

    Overall Record 20 5 6 9

    5 wins, 6 draws, 9 losses. Not much different than the Browns.

    W why cant we win wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @the-gipper said:

    Probably nothing worse than he is called in Birmingham, England of the team there doesn't fair well, which it hasn't, here is its record:

    G W D L

    Home Record 10 4 4 2

    Away Record 10 1 2 7

    Overall Record 20 5 6 9

    5 wins, 6 draws, 9 losses. Not much different than the Browns.

    LOL well there aint much of a difference in the 2 teams he owns maybe he should be thinking about that lol

  • A Alendor wrote on last edited by
    #16

    first you guys complained that he should hire someone like holmgren to run the team and get outta the picture. and now that he is letting holmgren deal with the team, you guys are complaining because he IS outta the picture.

    kind of funny to watch

  • first you guys complained that he should hire someone like holmgren to run the team and get outta the picture. and now that he is letting holmgren deal with the team, you guys are complaining because he IS outta the picture.

    kind of funny to watch

    S Speedyd900rr wrote on last edited by
    #17

    @alendor said:

    first you guys complained that he should hire someone like holmgren to run the team and get outta the picture. and now that he is letting holmgren deal with the team, you guys are complaining because he IS outta the picture.

    kind of funny to watch

    Who is "you guys" and where's the link showing what we said?

  • RichiswhereR Richiswhere wrote on last edited by
    #18

    Well I was switching back and forth between the game and Benny Hill 😁

  • I am hearing reports that Randy Lerner was in England, running and jumping and celebrating an Aston Villa game yesterday while the Browns are here getting blasted by the Steelers.

    I have mixed emotions about this: On the one hand I am thinking about what a pussy we have as an owner who has more passion for his soccer fags than he does for the Browns. I am also thinking that his attitude and approach to the Browns is one of the reasons this team has been so unstable......yet again making another coaching change.

    On the other hand I am thinking that perhaps it is good that he is out of sight so that he is not here meddling with what Holmgren is trying to do with this team. Still, the Browns owner missing the Browns/Steeler game leaves a damn sour taste in my mouth.

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @the-gipper said:

    I am hearing reports that Randy Lerner was in England, running and jumping and celebrating an Aston Villa game yesterday while the Browns are here getting blasted by the Steelers.

    I have mixed emotions about this: On the one hand I am thinking about what a pussy we have as an owner who has more passion for his soccer fags than he does for the Browns. I am also thinking that his attitude and approach to the Browns is one of the reasons this team has been so unstable......yet again making another coaching change.

    On the other hand I am thinking that perhaps it is good that he is out of sight so that he is not here meddling with what Holmgren is trying to do with this team. Still, the Browns owner missing the Browns/Steeler game leaves a damn sour taste in my mouth.

    The guy owns two teams.

    He has to support both.

    I don't have a problem with it.

    I guess my question is how would it have looked had he been here and not there for a big game???

    I trust that when he is required here for a big game, he will.

  • @the-gipper said:

    I am hearing reports that Randy Lerner was in England, running and jumping and celebrating an Aston Villa game yesterday while the Browns are here getting blasted by the Steelers.

    I have mixed emotions about this: On the one hand I am thinking about what a pussy we have as an owner who has more passion for his soccer fags than he does for the Browns. I am also thinking that his attitude and approach to the Browns is one of the reasons this team has been so unstable......yet again making another coaching change.

    On the other hand I am thinking that perhaps it is good that he is out of sight so that he is not here meddling with what Holmgren is trying to do with this team. Still, the Browns owner missing the Browns/Steeler game leaves a damn sour taste in my mouth.

    The guy owns two teams.

    He has to support both.

    I don't have a problem with it.

    I guess my question is how would it have looked had he been here and not there for a big game???

    I trust that when he is required here for a big game, he will.

    Riffer XR Riffer X wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @ballpeen said:

    The guy owns two teams.

    He has to support both.

    I don't have a problem with it.

    I guess my question is how would it have looked had he been here and not there for a big game???

    I trust that when he is required here for a big game, he will.

    I agree, he has people in place to run things and spends the money. He never sold out the stadium name either.

  • Mark OM Mark O wrote on last edited by
    #21

    Art Modell was at every home game (and probably away game) and how many titles did that win us? Would the score have been closer than 578-9 if Randy Lerner had been at the game?

    He's the owner..not the coach or even the gm. Call me when someone who actually makes decisions about the direction of the team doesn't show up for the game.

  • first you guys complained that he should hire someone like holmgren to run the team and get outta the picture. and now that he is letting holmgren deal with the team, you guys are complaining because he IS outta the picture.

    kind of funny to watch

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @alendor said:

    first you guys complained that he should hire someone like holmgren to run the team and get outta the picture. and now that he is letting holmgren deal with the team, you guys are complaining because he IS outta the picture.

    kind of funny to watch

    "You guys". What? Are you Pogo? "I have met the enemy and they is us".

    No one wants him running the team. Its just that you would think that he would at least be in attendance at the home game with his team's biggest rival.

    I guess we just have to accept the fact that we have a soccer fag for an owner.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @king-ghoolie-lives said:

    Gipper, back a few years ago I took a lot of heat for slamming Lerner as an owner. My beef was basically what you hit upon.

    I happen to believe that culture and attitude has a lot to do with team success, and also,,, when players see lackadaisical behavior above them, it tends to trickle down.

    Hey, we have changed everything with no change in results. Maybe LErner needs to get the hell out?

    I agree. It seems that some organizations just take on the character of their owner no matter what they do....even if they stay completely out of the mix in running their team. Take William Clay Ford of the Lions. He certainly has never played Jerry Jones. He has hired person after person to run him team, but, no matter what, it has not been successful. Add the names of the Bidwill family to this list, and Donald Sterling, and Daniel Snyder who is snakebit no matter how much money he puts into the Redskins, etc. etc.

    Maybe this will change with Holmgren being on board, who knows.

  • @the-gipper said:

    I am hearing reports that Randy Lerner was in England, running and jumping and celebrating an Aston Villa game yesterday while the Browns are here getting blasted by the Steelers.

    I have mixed emotions about this: On the one hand I am thinking about what a pussy we have as an owner who has more passion for his soccer fags than he does for the Browns. I am also thinking that his attitude and approach to the Browns is one of the reasons this team has been so unstable......yet again making another coaching change.

    On the other hand I am thinking that perhaps it is good that he is out of sight so that he is not here meddling with what Holmgren is trying to do with this team. Still, the Browns owner missing the Browns/Steeler game leaves a damn sour taste in my mouth.

    The guy owns two teams.

    He has to support both.

    I don't have a problem with it.

    I guess my question is how would it have looked had he been here and not there for a big game???

    I trust that when he is required here for a big game, he will.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #24

    @ballpeen said:

    The guy owns two teams.

    He has to support both.

    I don't have a problem with it.

    I guess my question is how would it have looked had he been here and not there for a big game???

    I trust that when he is required here for a big game, he will.

    I don't know who Aston Villa was playing, but they are 5-9-6, so I doubt that game they were playing was all that "big".

    But clearly Browns/Steelers, despite the recent results is still one of the biggest rivalries in American sports. The last time I looked RL was still an American.

    What it points out though is where his priority lies. Like I said, I am glad he is not trying to run the Browns day to day, but as I also said, him not being here leaves a bitter taste in one's mouth.

  • @ballpeen said:

    The guy owns two teams.

    He has to support both.

    I don't have a problem with it.

    I guess my question is how would it have looked had he been here and not there for a big game???

    I trust that when he is required here for a big game, he will.

    I agree, he has people in place to run things and spends the money. He never sold out the stadium name either.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @riffer-x said:

    I agree, he has people in place to run things and spends the money. He never sold out the stadium name either.

    OK, I give the guy big time credit for that. Most other owners by all means would have whored out the naming rights to the stadium....see, e.g., the Dolan family..

  • BrownIndianB BrownIndian wrote on last edited by
    #26

    For the record - Aston Villa played against Chelsea which is a top team in their league - So it is a big game for them. Also they played out an exciting 3 - 3 draw versus a strong team which was ENTERTAINING and they DID NOT LOSE !!

    No Offense but with the Browns losing 41 - 9 to their rival - I think there are bigger priorities for us to address than making sure our owner is there for every Browns game.

  • S Squintz wrote on last edited by
    #27

    Open your checkbook, let Holmgren have full autonomy and he can watch all the soccer he wants. Hell, I don't care if he ever comes back to the stadium as long as his checks don't bounce and he stays out of the decisions.

  • A Alendor wrote on last edited by Alendor
    #28

    thats exactly what he did, thats the point. hes doing exactly what you guys are saying he should do, and your complaining about it.

    maybe stop complaining about him staying out of the way and be glad hes not trying to run the team

  • C CantonLegend wrote on last edited by
    #29

    you guys are looking too deep into it

    it was a meaningless game and a likely blowout

    in the end....it was more of a blowout than anyone could have thought. lerner probably didnt want to stress himself out by watching the garbage that was on the field over the weekend

    can you blame him.....i didnt want to watch it either

  • Open your checkbook, let Holmgren have full autonomy and he can watch all the soccer he wants. Hell, I don't care if he ever comes back to the stadium as long as his checks don't bounce and he stays out of the decisions.

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #30

    @squintz said:

    Open your checkbook, let Holmgren have full autonomy and he can watch all the soccer he wants. Hell, I don't care if he ever comes back to the stadium as long as his checks don't bounce and he stays out of the decisions.

    He has and is.

    One of the questions asked of Holmgren was is there a budget on hiring a new coach.

    Holmgren answered....I paraphrase...no, there is no budget. I was told to do whatever I had to do.