Skip to content

Randy Lerner watching soccer during Steeler game

The Browns Board
34 20 2.5k
  • @ballpeen said:

    The guy owns two teams.

    He has to support both.

    I don't have a problem with it.

    I guess my question is how would it have looked had he been here and not there for a big game???

    I trust that when he is required here for a big game, he will.

    I agree, he has people in place to run things and spends the money. He never sold out the stadium name either.

    @riffer-x said:

    I agree, he has people in place to run things and spends the money. He never sold out the stadium name either.

    OK, I give the guy big time credit for that. Most other owners by all means would have whored out the naming rights to the stadium....see, e.g., the Dolan family..

  • For the record - Aston Villa played against Chelsea which is a top team in their league - So it is a big game for them. Also they played out an exciting 3 - 3 draw versus a strong team which was ENTERTAINING and they DID NOT LOSE !!

    No Offense but with the Browns losing 41 - 9 to their rival - I think there are bigger priorities for us to address than making sure our owner is there for every Browns game.

  • Open your checkbook, let Holmgren have full autonomy and he can watch all the soccer he wants. Hell, I don't care if he ever comes back to the stadium as long as his checks don't bounce and he stays out of the decisions.

  • thats exactly what he did, thats the point. hes doing exactly what you guys are saying he should do, and your complaining about it.

    maybe stop complaining about him staying out of the way and be glad hes not trying to run the team

  • you guys are looking too deep into it

    it was a meaningless game and a likely blowout

    in the end....it was more of a blowout than anyone could have thought. lerner probably didnt want to stress himself out by watching the garbage that was on the field over the weekend

    can you blame him.....i didnt want to watch it either

  • Open your checkbook, let Holmgren have full autonomy and he can watch all the soccer he wants. Hell, I don't care if he ever comes back to the stadium as long as his checks don't bounce and he stays out of the decisions.

    @squintz said:

    Open your checkbook, let Holmgren have full autonomy and he can watch all the soccer he wants. Hell, I don't care if he ever comes back to the stadium as long as his checks don't bounce and he stays out of the decisions.

    He has and is.

    One of the questions asked of Holmgren was is there a budget on hiring a new coach.

    Holmgren answered....I paraphrase...no, there is no budget. I was told to do whatever I had to do.

  • For the record - Aston Villa played against Chelsea which is a top team in their league - So it is a big game for them. Also they played out an exciting 3 - 3 draw versus a strong team which was ENTERTAINING and they DID NOT LOSE !!

    No Offense but with the Browns losing 41 - 9 to their rival - I think there are bigger priorities for us to address than making sure our owner is there for every Browns game.

    @brownindian said:

    For the record - Aston Villa played against Chelsea which is a top team in their league - So it is a big game for them. Also they played out an exciting 3 - 3 draw versus a strong team which was ENTERTAINING and they DID NOT LOSE !!

    No Offense but with the Browns losing 41 - 9 to their rival - I think there are bigger priorities for us to address than making sure our owner is there for every Browns game.

    Is Chelsea vs. Aston Villa one of the biggest rivalries in that league? Or would that just be like the Browns playing a good team, like say, The Atlanta Falcons.

    OK, and I guess a 3-3 game is like an NFL game finishing 57-57.

    But, it is still a soccer game. How entertaining can it be. And it was a TIE. WTF?

    And no one knew beforehand that the Browns game would be such a bad one. Certainly not Lerner.

    And I never said anything about it being a priority..... compared to what else the Browns need.

    But, clearly Randy agrees with you: the Browns are no priorty.

  • @brownindian said:

    For the record - Aston Villa played against Chelsea which is a top team in their league - So it is a big game for them. Also they played out an exciting 3 - 3 draw versus a strong team which was ENTERTAINING and they DID NOT LOSE !!

    No Offense but with the Browns losing 41 - 9 to their rival - I think there are bigger priorities for us to address than making sure our owner is there for every Browns game.

    Is Chelsea vs. Aston Villa one of the biggest rivalries in that league? Or would that just be like the Browns playing a good team, like say, The Atlanta Falcons.

    OK, and I guess a 3-3 game is like an NFL game finishing 57-57.

    But, it is still a soccer game. How entertaining can it be. And it was a TIE. WTF?

    And no one knew beforehand that the Browns game would be such a bad one. Certainly not Lerner.

    And I never said anything about it being a priority..... compared to what else the Browns need.

    But, clearly Randy agrees with you: the Browns are no priorty.

    @the-gipper said:

    Is Chelsea vs. Aston Villa one of the biggest rivalries in that league? Or would that just be like the Browns playing a good team, like say, The Atlanta Falcons.

    OK, and I guess a 3-3 game is like an NFL game finishing 57-57.

    But, it is still a soccer game. How entertaining can it be. And it was a TIE. WTF?

    And no one knew beforehand that the Browns game would be such a bad one. Certainly not Lerner.

    And I never said anything about it being a priority..... compared to what else the Browns need.

    But, clearly Randy agrees with you: the Browns are no priorty.

    It will be like the Browns playing the Falcons, but where soccer differs from football is that ties are very common in football. So when you are an underdog and u still manage to draw with the superior team, you have scored a moral victory. Kinda like last year where the loss to Browns cost the Steelers a playoff spot. Also, while no one knew how bad the game was going to be, the games against the Bills, Bengals and the Ravens were very telling as to what the result would probably be.

    Also, we are all convinced tht he knows jack squat about football but atleast he seems to be knowledgeable about soccer and hence is able to enjoy it. I dont know how much the Browns are a priority for Randy but one thing is for sure he knows as well as we do that there is not much he can personally do to change the fortunes of this team. It is all in the hands of Holmgren now.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Is Chelsea vs. Aston Villa one of the biggest rivalries in that league? Or would that just be like the Browns playing a good team, like say, The Atlanta Falcons.

    OK, and I guess a 3-3 game is like an NFL game finishing 57-57.

    But, it is still a soccer game. How entertaining can it be. And it was a TIE. WTF?

    And no one knew beforehand that the Browns game would be such a bad one. Certainly not Lerner.

    And I never said anything about it being a priority..... compared to what else the Browns need.

    But, clearly Randy agrees with you: the Browns are no priorty.

    It will be like the Browns playing the Falcons, but where soccer differs from football is that ties are very common in football. So when you are an underdog and u still manage to draw with the superior team, you have scored a moral victory. Kinda like last year where the loss to Browns cost the Steelers a playoff spot. Also, while no one knew how bad the game was going to be, the games against the Bills, Bengals and the Ravens were very telling as to what the result would probably be.

    Also, we are all convinced tht he knows jack squat about football but atleast he seems to be knowledgeable about soccer and hence is able to enjoy it. I dont know how much the Browns are a priority for Randy but one thing is for sure he knows as well as we do that there is not much he can personally do to change the fortunes of this team. It is all in the hands of Holmgren now.

    @brownindian said:

    It will be like the Browns playing the Falcons, but where soccer differs from football is that ties are very common in football. So when you are an underdog and u still manage to draw with the superior team, you have scored a moral victory. Kinda like last year where the loss to Browns cost the Steelers a playoff spot. Also, while no one knew how bad the game was going to be, the games against the Bills, Bengals and the Ravens were very telling as to what the result would probably be.

    Also, we are all convinced tht he knows jack squat about football but atleast he seems to be knowledgeable about soccer and hence is able to enjoy it. I dont know how much the Browns are a priority for Randy but one thing is for sure he knows as well as we do that there is not much he can personally do to change the fortunes of this team. It is all in the hands of Holmgren now.

    I guess you are saying that if the Browns had played it smart and played for the tie against the Jets, that tie would have been a "moral victory" for the Browns over a perceived superior team?

    I guess that's fair.

  • @squintz said:

    Open your checkbook, let Holmgren have full autonomy and he can watch all the soccer he wants. Hell, I don't care if he ever comes back to the stadium as long as his checks don't bounce and he stays out of the decisions.

    He has and is.

    One of the questions asked of Holmgren was is there a budget on hiring a new coach.

    Holmgren answered....I paraphrase...no, there is no budget. I was told to do whatever I had to do.

    @ballpeen said:

    He has and is.

    One of the questions asked of Holmgren was is there a budget on hiring a new coach.

    Holmgren answered....I paraphrase...no, there is no budget. I was told to do whatever I had to do.

    I know - that was why I typed it. I didn't spell it out well, but my point was exactly this. There was a lot to complain about until he handed the reigns over to Holmgren. We just have to hope that Lerner's history of hiring people doesn't hold true to the Walrus, which I don't think it will.