Skip to content

Is Next Year a Rebuilding Year or Contending Year?

The Browns Board
30 25 2.3k
  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #4

    I said contending because i say screw rebuilding. Homie and Heck are here, so there is no rebuilding for them. Their clock is still ticking. No start overs as far as I am concerned.

    Other teams turn it around in a year or two.....time for us to expect the same.

  • S shepwrite wrote on last edited by
    #5

    I think we're gearing up to field an NFL caliber offense for the first time since 2007 (another weak schedule) with Holmgren's WCO, McCoy, Hillis, Hardesty, Vickers, Watson, Moore, A.J. Green or Julio Jones, Breaston, Massoquoi (slot), Thomas, Steinbach, Mack, Lauvao, and Womack. We'll finally have the scheme AND the personnel.

    We have some core guys for whatever defense we run: Rubin, Benard, Gocong, Fujita, Haden, Brown, Ward, and Elam. You add some youth and speed in the draft and a free agent or two, that's going to be a legit defense.

    Frankly, I think we're hitting a tipping point of talent... as in, we'll finally have enough after one more good offseason. And we'll be running a grownup offense. And McCoy will be a young veteran with a stronger arm. I think it'll all come together, along with the schedule, for a 10-win season.

    If we even play 10 games. Sigh.

  • I don't consider it rebuilding. The team hasn't even been built the first time. A weak schedule will help but we still have six games against division teams with more talent than us.

    GipsG Gips wrote on last edited by Gips
    #6

    @dawgtracker said:

    I don't consider it rebuilding. The team hasn't even been built the first time. A weak schedule will help but we still have six games against division teams with more talent than us.

    Exactly, we dont need to rebuild what hasnt been built yet, heckert done a good job of adding 4 vital and versatile pieces last year and he needs to pull this draft down as well..

    Our offense is only a valid gameplan , a valid playcaller, a WR and a RG/RT away from being complete assuming hardesty is whats advertised..

    We have needed these pieces since before mangini and still need them after...

    The mangini jets defense is a mediocre aging mess i will leave to tom heckert to figure out...hehehehee 😉

  • P pizzadeliveryguy wrote on last edited by
    #7

    We've been rebuilding for 12 years now. I don't see how firing a head coach that was starting to make the team competitive is going to change that.

  • ? Copper wrote on last edited by
    #8

    Unless Holmgren whips up some voodoo magic, I doubt we will get anything more than an 8-8 record. Or we might go all "false hope 2007."

  • M MDDawg wrote on last edited by
    #9

    Rebuilding, because contending in the AFC North means 11 or more wins. Even with our weak 2011 schedule I don't think we'll get more than 9 wins and that's if the new coach doesn't blow the whole thing up like moving from 3-4 defense to 4-3 for example.

  • We've been rebuilding for 12 years now. I don't see how firing a head coach that was starting to make the team competitive is going to change that.

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #10

    @pizzadeliveryguy said:

    We've been rebuilding for 12 years now. I don't see how firing a head coach that was starting to make the team competitive is going to change that.

    We have been rebuilding since 1964. That is a lot longer than 12 years.

    I was a teenager in 1964. Trust me, I know.

  • Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by
    #11

    I voted contending as we have plenty of needs, but also more talent that at any time since coming back. I also believe much of that talent has been under utilized & in many cases, not properly coached. Our young offensive players had NO experienced mentors, other than Colt learning from Jake. That will most certainly change & combined with more off season upgrading, I think we'll be ok.

    Mike

  • I think we're gearing up to field an NFL caliber offense for the first time since 2007 (another weak schedule) with Holmgren's WCO, McCoy, Hillis, Hardesty, Vickers, Watson, Moore, A.J. Green or Julio Jones, Breaston, Massoquoi (slot), Thomas, Steinbach, Mack, Lauvao, and Womack. We'll finally have the scheme AND the personnel.

    We have some core guys for whatever defense we run: Rubin, Benard, Gocong, Fujita, Haden, Brown, Ward, and Elam. You add some youth and speed in the draft and a free agent or two, that's going to be a legit defense.

    Frankly, I think we're hitting a tipping point of talent... as in, we'll finally have enough after one more good offseason. And we'll be running a grownup offense. And McCoy will be a young veteran with a stronger arm. I think it'll all come together, along with the schedule, for a 10-win season.

    If we even play 10 games. Sigh.

    CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFSC CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS wrote on last edited by
    #12

    @shepwrite said:

    I think we're gearing up to field an NFL caliber offense for the first time since 2007 (another weak schedule) with Holmgren's WCO, McCoy, Hillis, Hardesty, Vickers, Watson, Moore, A.J. Green or Julio Jones, Breaston, Massoquoi (slot), Thomas, Steinbach, Mack, Lauvao, and Womack. We'll finally have the scheme AND the personnel.

    We have some core guys for whatever defense we run: Rubin, Benard, Gocong, Fujita, Haden, Brown, Ward, and Elam. You add some youth and speed in the draft and a free agent or two, that's going to be a legit defense.

    Frankly, I think we're hitting a tipping point of talent... as in, we'll finally have enough after one more good offseason. And we'll be running a grownup offense. And McCoy will be a young veteran with a stronger arm. I think it'll all come together, along with the schedule, for a 10-win season.

    If we even play 10 games. Sigh.

    Nice optimistic viewpoint. +5

  • S Slurp and Burp wrote on last edited by
    #13

    I am sure the Browns will win it all. I mean 6 games.

  • Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by
    #14

    I think it's another rebuilding year- mostly because we aren't deep in talent, combined with a new coaching staff. Hopefully I'm wrong and we do become one of those worst to first teams, but reality says otherwise (as others pointed out, our division is brutal enough).

    We need to have a great draft, stay healthy, and learn how to win our home games vs. division rivals....then we talk contending team.

  • Mr. TM Mr. T wrote on last edited by
    #15

    I hope we go into every season competing.

    Tired of the BS rebuilding 3 - 5 year plan.

    Just get the shit done. How hard is it to take a bunch of professional athletes and make them want to play?

  • R roach wrote on last edited by
    #16

    Obviously, we need to see how the offseason unfolds.

    At this moment, any of our defensive front 7 would have find it difficult to get playing time for Baltimore or Pittsburgh (other than Fujita). That's a problem that needs to get fixed.

  • Harry BuffaloH Harry Buffalo wrote on last edited by
    #17

    Any body that expects this team to go to the playoffs next year is going to be disappointed. I think we go 8-8 at best with a new coach and our only chance at the playoffs was with Mangini staying and switching offenses. It will take at least one full season for the new coach to get everything set.

  • P peterbell wrote on last edited by
    #18

    They'll be a new offense and maybe a new defense and unless

    they do a major restructure of the AFC Steelers and Ravens

    are 2 pretty big enchiladas in the way..Contending..please

    This is all getting broken down again..at least 2 maybe 3 years

    from a serious run..but they would have fired the coach by this

    time...ITS LIKE F**KING GROUNDHOG DAY WITH THIS FRANCHISE

  • S Speedyd900rr wrote on last edited by
    #19

    Seeing as how we were in almost every game up until the 4th quarter I will go with contending. This one step forward two steps back has got to stop no matter what.

    I do know they will not be getting another free pass from me to suck since Mike fired Mangini before he made sure someone better was willing to come here. In reality it's a 50/50 shot.

  • R ReginaBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #20

    I took contending to mean contending for a playoff spot.

  • D DawgTracker wrote on last edited by
    #21

    If Holmgren uses the word patience one time we will know what he expects to happen.

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #22

    Contending, because the Browns were in every game they played, cept for the last one...

    they had some great wins over their best competition...

    all they need is some added pieces and those close losses turn into wins.

    A real aggressive OC would be a huge plus.

    The desperate to fill list is pretty short now.

  • I said contending because i say screw rebuilding. Homie and Heck are here, so there is no rebuilding for them. Their clock is still ticking. No start overs as far as I am concerned.

    Other teams turn it around in a year or two.....time for us to expect the same.

    mopajiM mopaji wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @ballpeen said:

    I said contending because i say screw rebuilding. Homie and Heck are here, so there is no rebuilding for them. Their clock is still ticking. No start overs as far as I am concerned.

    Other teams turn it around in a year or two.....time for us to expect the same.

    Whenever you change coaches, you are rebuilding. Just one of the 30 reasons we should have kept Mangini. 10 more years of mediocrity instead of 1.