Skip to content

Pat Shurmur Hired As New Cleveland Browns Head Coach

The Browns Board
106 45 7.5k
  • P pizzadeliveryguy wrote on last edited by
    #56

    Let's hope that in this case nepotism works. Holmgren now has his puppets in place so there will be no excuses from him. Two years, the clock has started.

  • Browns since 1999 pre-Shurmur:

    Seasons 12

    W-L 64-128

    Win pct .333

    Playoff app 1

    10-loss seasons 9

    Browns Hypothetically after Shurmur:

    Seasons 10

    W-L 130-30

    Win pct .888

    Playoff app 10

    10-loss seasons 0

    Just being optomistic 🙂

    VENOMV VENOM wrote on last edited by
    #57

    @theclevelandsound said:

    Browns since 1999 pre-Shurmur:

    Seasons 12

    W-L 64-128

    Win pct .333

    Playoff app 1

    10-loss seasons 9

    Browns Hypothetically after Shurmur:

    Seasons 10

    W-L 130-30

    Win pct .888

    Playoff app 10

    10-loss seasons 0

    Just being optomistic 🙂

    The best thing about hiring Shurmur is that it wasnt Marvin Lewis.

  • @shepwrite said:

    I think that's what Reb just said: If he doesn't win, THEN start bitching.

    I personally expect the Browns to win at least 8 games next year and preferably 10, assuming we even play 16 (or 18) games. I think we're at the point where we'll have the talent to expect that, and the schedule isn't bad.

    If we suck and go 6-10? I'll put the whole program on notice. They'll have one more season to show some progress.

    I think this move was pretty inevitable and if anything I'm disappointed that next year isn't Year Two in the WCO. I never believed Holmgren would take over the Browns but just hang around watching guys he doesn't know run systems he doesn't believe in. I'm surprised anybody really expect that to happen.

    so you're a two year plan guy? period. no matter what?

    S shepwrite wrote on last edited by
    #58

    @miktoxic said:

    so you're a two year plan guy? period. no matter what?

    Nah. Life is a case by case endeavor.

  • DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #59

    I'm not going to say anything negative. Shurmur could turn into a great coach, be mediocre or be horrible. No one knows yet. No matter who we pick, we have no idea what will happen. Give the guy a chance. And root for his success.

  • @shepwrite said:

    I think that's what Reb just said: If he doesn't win, THEN start bitching.

    I personally expect the Browns to win at least 8 games next year and preferably 10, assuming we even play 16 (or 18) games. I think we're at the point where we'll have the talent to expect that, and the schedule isn't bad.

    If we suck and go 6-10? I'll put the whole program on notice. They'll have one more season to show some progress.

    I think this move was pretty inevitable and if anything I'm disappointed that next year isn't Year Two in the WCO. I never believed Holmgren would take over the Browns but just hang around watching guys he doesn't know run systems he doesn't believe in. I'm surprised anybody really expect that to happen.

    Difference being, the DAY Mangini was hired, the bitching started, and never stopped even though many areas of the team improved despite the lack of depth and talent......

    VENOMV VENOM wrote on last edited by
    #60

    @cddbrowns said:

    Difference being, the DAY Mangini was hired, the bitching started, and never stopped even though many areas of the team improved despite the lack of depth and talent......

    I just wonder if the right move wouldn't have been to give it 1 more year to add players and to give McCoy a full year to develope. If then no progress then pull the trigger.

  • TheClevelandSoundT TheClevelandSound wrote on last edited by TheClevelandSound
    #61

    John Fox just announced as Denver Broncos Head Coach. So we can put that DC stuff to rest for him.

    via Twitter:

    "I am excited to announce that John Fox has agreed to terms to become the 14th head coach in Denver Broncos history."

    http://twitter.com/#!/johnelway

  • D dawgpound3 wrote on last edited by
    #62

    Daboll is apparently fired.

    Cleveland Browns offensive coordinator Brian Daboll has been fired according to Daniel Wolf of The Dawg Scooper. Wolf reports that Daboll was seem taking boxes to his car.

    Wolf reports that Daboll never listened to advice from Browns president Mike Holmgren or Browns senior advisor to the president Gil Haskell.

    Mary Kay Cabot of The Cleveland Plain-Dealer is reporting that Holmgren has not ruled out adding himself as the Browns head coach.

    If Holmgren becomes the head coach, Haskell would probably be named the offensive coordinator. There also have been rumors that Ray Rhodes would be named the defensive coordinator.

    Adam Caplan of FOXSports reported that Daboll could replace Charlie Weis in Kansas City. Weis is leaving to become the offensive coordinator of the Florida Gators.

    dawgscooperreport

  • @miktoxic said:

    so you're a two year plan guy? period. no matter what?

    Nah. Life is a case by case endeavor.

    miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #63

    @shepwrite said:

    Nah. Life is a case by case endeavor.

    so if it's a guy YOU like the timetable can be stretched. shurmur and holmgren get what 3 years/4?

  • @shepwrite said:

    Nah. Life is a case by case endeavor.

    so if it's a guy YOU like the timetable can be stretched. shurmur and holmgren get what 3 years/4?

    cddbrownsC cddbrowns wrote on last edited by
    #64

    @miktoxic said:

    so if it's a guy YOU like the timetable can be stretched. shurmur and holmgren get what 3 years/4?

    No to go all political or anything, but this reminds me of 08. MOAN MOAN MOAN CRY CRY CRY, then when the guy THEY want is put in, "STOP CRYING" LOL! Its double standard and I want what I want all the time or I will stomp my feet and throw a fit till everyone gets sick of hearing it. But you had better not do the same.

  • thus began the homshert era? what about shmeckho? should we start a contest to name this new regime?

    L longhorn wrote on last edited by
    #65

    @clevelandfanforlife said:

    thus began the homshert era? what about shmeckho? should we start a contest to name this new regime?

    Holmgreckmur Era

    LaMonte's Lads

    Shurm Hoheck

    Holmgren's Homies

  • @clevelandfanforlife said:

    thus began the homshert era? what about shmeckho? should we start a contest to name this new regime?

    Holmgreckmur Era

    LaMonte's Lads

    Shurm Hoheck

    Holmgren's Homies

    cddbrownsC cddbrowns wrote on last edited by
    #66

    @longhorn said:

    Holmgreckmur Era

    LaMonte's Lads

    Shurm Hoheck

    Holmgren's Homies

    LaMonte's inferno....

  • Daboll is apparently fired.

    Cleveland Browns offensive coordinator Brian Daboll has been fired according to Daniel Wolf of The Dawg Scooper. Wolf reports that Daboll was seem taking boxes to his car.

    Wolf reports that Daboll never listened to advice from Browns president Mike Holmgren or Browns senior advisor to the president Gil Haskell.

    Mary Kay Cabot of The Cleveland Plain-Dealer is reporting that Holmgren has not ruled out adding himself as the Browns head coach.

    If Holmgren becomes the head coach, Haskell would probably be named the offensive coordinator. There also have been rumors that Ray Rhodes would be named the defensive coordinator.

    Adam Caplan of FOXSports reported that Daboll could replace Charlie Weis in Kansas City. Weis is leaving to become the offensive coordinator of the Florida Gators.

    dawgscooperreport

    TheClevelandSoundT TheClevelandSound wrote on last edited by
    #67

    @dawgpound3 said:

    Daboll is apparently fired.

    dawgscooperreport

    Quite an outdated article you've got there. I'll wait till it hits the Plain Dealer to believe it.

  • nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #68

    Im just glad we finally hired someone from the offensive side of the ball instead of one of these control freak defensive coordinators that go into a shell on offense.

  • I remember when I first joined 2 years ago when Mangini got fired someone started a thread of if they liked the hire or not. No debating, no name calling and no shoulda woulda couldas. The question is: Do you like the hire? Plain and simple. Please answer yes or no only.

    My answer is yes.

    BrownB499B BrownB499 wrote on last edited by
    #69

    @clevelandfanforlife said:

    The question is: Do you like the hire? Plain and simple. Please answer yes or no only.

    My answer is yes.

    NO

  • @theclevelandsound said:

    Some of LaMonte's clients include:

    Mike Holmgren (Cleveland Browns President)

    Brad Childress (Former Minnesota Vikings Head Coach)

    John Fox (Carolina Panthers Head Coach)

    Josh McDaniels (Former Denver Broncos Head Coach)

    Andy Reid (Philadelphia Eagles Head Coach/Executive VP)

    Mike Singletary (Former San Francisco 49ers Head Coach)

    Steve Spagnuolo (St. Louis Rams Head Coach)

    Mike Sherman (Texas A&M Aggies football Head Coach)

    Charlie Weis (Kansas City Chiefs Offensive Coordinator)

    Mike Martz (Chicago Bears Offensive Coordinator)

    Mike Nolan (Miami Dolphins Defensive Coordinator)

    Al Saunders (Baltimore Ravens Offensive Consultant)

    Gunther Cunningham (Detroit Lions Defensive Coordinator)

    Leslie Frazier (Minnesota Vikings Head Coach)

    Mike Heimerdinger (Tennessee Titans Offensive Coordinator)

    Mike McCoy (Denver Broncos Offensive Coordinator)

    Marty Mornhinweg (Philadelphia Eagles Offensive Coordinator)

    Pat Shurmur (Cleveland Browns Head Coach)

    Tom Heckert (Cleveland Browns General Manager)

    Chris Polian (Indianapolis Colts General Manager)

    Mark Dominik (Tampa Bay Buccaneers General Manager)

    Rick Smith (Houston Texans General Manager)

    Chris Carpenter (St. Louis Cardinals Pitcher)

    Pat Hentgen (Former Toronto Blue Jays Pitcher)

    Dave Steib (Former Toronto Blue Jays Pitcher)

    Joe Nedney (San Francisco 49ers Placekicker)

    Jon Gruden (ESPN Analyst for Monday Night Football)

    I'd say LaMonte's very wealthy. 🙂 I Haven't heard anything bad about him, so that's a plus. But IMHO it's a little more than coincidence H&H hire another LaMonte guy.

    miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #70

    @hoorta said:

    But IMHO it's a little more than coincidence H&H hire another LaMonte guy.

    not on the same level but don't politicians that do this draw great scrutiny? wonder how much more is landing in holmgren's pocket?

  • Im just glad we finally hired someone from the offensive side of the ball instead of one of these control freak defensive coordinators that go into a shell on offense.

    cddbrownsC cddbrowns wrote on last edited by
    #71

    @nickers said:

    Im just glad we finally hired someone from the offensive side of the ball instead of one of these control freak defensive coordinators that go into a shell on offense.

    Policy was an O guy.....

  • @nickers said:

    Im just glad we finally hired someone from the offensive side of the ball instead of one of these control freak defensive coordinators that go into a shell on offense.

    Policy was an O guy.....

    miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #72

    @cddbrowns said:

    Policy was an O guy.....

    so was chris palmer.

  • @cddbrowns said:

    Policy was an O guy.....

    so was chris palmer.

    cddbrownsC cddbrowns wrote on last edited by
    #73

    @miktoxic said:

    so was chris palmer.

    LOL! Thats what I mean. Sorry, said the fire-er instead of the fire-ee

  • Mr. TM Mr. T wrote on last edited by
    #74

    Well we will see.......

    I will say he is a better hire than a Crennel or a Butch.

    Meanwhile all of us can continue to wait on a shot at the playoffs

    Start the music Mistro.....

  • Well we will see.......

    I will say he is a better hire than a Crennel or a Butch.

    Meanwhile all of us can continue to wait on a shot at the playoffs

    Start the music Mistro.....

    cddbrownsC cddbrowns wrote on last edited by
    #75

    @mr.-t said:

    Well we will see.......

    I will say he is a better hire than a Crennel or a Butch.

    Meanwhile all of us can continue to wait on a shot at the playoffs

    Start the music Mistro.....

    Butch with a GM would have been dangerous.....IMO of course.