DA's Trade Value is good.
-
@inspecta said:
Unless we get some sort of ridiculous trade offer for him (3rd round or higher) I say we keep DA on the roster, make him restructure that ridiculous bonus due to his shitty play, and then let let him ride the pine. Seriously guys DA is the perfect QB to have as a backup, he usually plays extremely well when there is little to no expectations on him, and thats what a backup role would allow him to do.I don't see how that works. We ask DA to forgo a big payday...so that we can bench him? Why would he agree to that?
-
@inspecta said:
Unless we get some sort of ridiculous trade offer for him (3rd round or higher) I say we keep DA on the roster, make him restructure that ridiculous bonus due to his shitty play, and then let let him ride the pine.DA won't be restructuring anything this offseason.
The QB decision will be made by the new coach. If the new coach goes with DA then expect BQ to ask for a trade. If the new coach goes with BQ then expect DA to ask for a trade. If the new coach wants a competition then it will get interesting.
-
@inspecta said:
Unless we get some sort of ridiculous trade offer for him (3rd round or higher) I say we keep DA on the roster, make him restructure that ridiculous bonus due to his shitty play, and then let let him ride the pine. Seriously guys DA is the perfect QB to have as a backup, he usually plays extremely well when there is little to no expectations on him, and thats what a backup role would allow him to do.I don't see how that works. We ask DA to forgo a big payday...so that we can bench him? Why would he agree to that?
Aloysius said:
I don't see how that works. We ask DA to forgo a big payday...so that we can bench him? Why would he agree to that?Yeah it's a stupid idea and will never happen.
The only reason it comes up is that the BQ faithful are bitter that DA makes more money.
-
QB competitions have never done us any good as of late.
This is just my opinion, but I think it's safe to say that DA is the QB of Christmas past, BQ is the QB of Christmas present, and neither will be the QB of Christmas future. Although, BQ will have every chance to redeem his "throw it at Vickers's feet from two feet away" ability.
At least BQ has a nice touch most of the time, which is a cut above DA's "throw it at everyone's feet from every distance" ability. I don't think DA is worth much more than a case of urinal cakes for trade value. Maybe we can get two cases if we package him with #54.
-Al
-
There is a small matter of a $5M dollar bonus on March 1st for a roster bonus to DA.
There is also the larger matter of the extra $11M in bonuses due to Quinn if he takes 70% of the snaps next year.
There is also the larger matter of the extra $11M in bonuses due to Quinn if he takes 70% of the snaps next year.
Again, numbnuts, that isn't a BONUS...it is AVAILABLE ESCALATORS (to base salary).
8/7/2007: Signed a five-year, $9.25 million contract. The deal contains $7.75 million guaranteed, including a $4.3 million roster bonus in the second year. Another $11 million is available though escalators in 2010 and 2011 based on Quinn taking at least 55% of the snaps in each of the first two years or at least 70% in his third season. Another $9.8 million is available, but is unlikely to be earned. 2008: $370,000, 2009: $655,000, 2010-2011: $700,000, 2011: Free Agent
Even if BQ gets those escalators, his remaining contract is 3yrs for $13,055,000
DA is $15,600,000 for the next 2yrs.
Do the math!!!
-
@shepwrite said:
DA will be gone. I can't imagine that I even have to say it, but he's five kinds of gone. There is ZERO chance that the new Browns brass will try to trot that turd out as a starter every again.shep just because you want it really bad doesn't make it true.
If Quinn had actually played well this year, as you guaranteed he would and which did not happen, then you would have a better case for your boy getting the job handed to him.
As it stands Quinn is a 49.5% passer who hasn't thrown a TD in his last 70+ passes and who's last pass thrown was a picked in the red zone.
-
DA has zero chance of being the starter. The Browns are past that era. They won't publicly trash DA for obvious reasons, but this isn't '07 (when Parcells was interested), it's the end of '08 and DA has shown himself - and it isn't good.
Lerner reportedly pulled the plug on DA to avoid further national embarrassment. DA is gone. Nobody wants him as a starter and the Browns made their decision on him mid-November. He's officially at Ty Detmer back-up status at best.
Oh, and Parcels isn't coming anymore than Cowher or Urban Meyer was. Why come from Miami, North Carolina, or Florida to rainy northern Ohio when you have a good situation with nothing to prove?
I'm still hoping for Pioli + McDaniels.
-
@shepwrite said:
DA will be gone. I can't imagine that I even have to say it, but he's five kinds of gone. There is ZERO chance that the new Browns brass will try to trot that turd out as a starter every again.shep just because you want it really bad doesn't make it true.
If Quinn had actually played well this year, as you guaranteed he would and which did not happen, then you would have a better case for your boy getting the job handed to him.
As it stands Quinn is a 49.5% passer who hasn't thrown a TD in his last 70+ passes and who's last pass thrown was a picked in the red zone.
-
I do not like the idea of competition or having 2 first team QB's with first team salaries waiting on the bench. It is going to bring in a feeling of ill will and discontent among the two. With the salary cap and rebuilding in mind we must make sure that we go with one QB and trade the other QB for good draft picks.
-
@shepwrite said:
We may disagree on our predictions for Quinn -- I say he'll be a great quarterback in this league for 15 years because of his intelligence, leadership, and work ethic on top of the physical ability -- but it's tough to argue that he won't get his 20 starts or so, like every first round QB. Who didn't?There haven't been any predictions on my part. I just told you why he stayed on the bench so long and why he got pulled so fast.
And it has very little to what some fans call "IT FACTOR" and everything to do with "THROWIN A FRIGGEN FOOTBALL FACTOR" as Chris Mortenson would say.
-
-
@shepwrite said:
We may disagree on our predictions for Quinn -- I say he'll be a great quarterback in this league for 15 years because of his intelligence, leadership, and work ethic on top of the physical ability -- but it's tough to argue that he won't get his 20 starts or so, like every first round QB. Who didn't?There haven't been any predictions on my part. I just told you why he stayed on the bench so long and why he got pulled so fast.
And it has very little to what some fans call "IT FACTOR" and everything to do with "THROWIN A FRIGGEN FOOTBALL FACTOR" as Chris Mortenson would say.
-
But just wondering, in your BQ-infatuated mind what exactly have DA and BQ done to make someone decide that they should go with BQ?
Well, for starters, DA is the same QB he was in HS that he is now. In 20+ NFL starts he hasn't gotten better, he actually got worse.
Does that mean Quinn will not do the same? No. Quinn might bomb out. But he's still the unknown, while DA is the known.
-
I don't have a "BQ-infatuated mind." He has a nicer touch with better accuracy (most of the time), more mobility, better leadership qualities (i.e. more fiery and head strong). Laid back leaders are always the first to the guillotine. BQ has actually developed his game beyond high school. DA is a streetballer. DA couldn't read a defense if the defenders held up cue cards.
Do I have as much faith in BQ as Shep does? Certainly not. I think BQ will be a decent QB. I think he compares to Ken O'Brien, who made it to two Pro Bowls, but I don't think he'll be anything spectacular. BQ's "mechanics under pressure" still need alot of tweaking.
-Al
-
I don't have a "BQ-infatuated mind." He has a nicer touch with better accuracy (most of the time), more mobility, better leadership qualities (i.e. more fiery and head strong). Laid back leaders are always the first to the guillotine. BQ has actually developed his game beyond high school. DA is a streetballer. DA couldn't read a defense if the defenders held up cue cards.
Do I have as much faith in BQ as Shep does? Certainly not. I think BQ will be a decent QB. I think he compares to Ken O'Brien, who made it to two Pro Bowls, but I don't think he'll be anything spectacular. BQ's "mechanics under pressure" still need alot of tweaking.
-Al
BQ's "mechanics under pressure" still need alot of tweaking.
-Al
I am curious, which mechanics are you refering to? One of Quinn's better qualities is his mechanics, especially when moving out of the pocket to avoid the rush. High chop steps with the ball remaining high in a position to throw w/o having to reload.
-
-
@inspecta said:
Based on 2008 any reasonable person would half a brain would say Quinn is the starter going into 09.No they wouldn't.
That's why there's still a question about it.
Quinn did NOTHING on or off the football field this season to make anyone say he is a better teammate, leader, or football player than DA. If you want to argue something different, go ahead and make a case.
But it is well known that Quinn's followers want his 2008 stats removed from the books because they were not what they expected.
The entire case for Quinn is still based on "potential" which happens to consist of incredible mythical qualities such as "it factor" and the unfounded beliefs that Quinn works super hard and is an incredible leader.
And BTW, the leadership argument that shep swore up and down to took a big hit a couple weeks ago when Quinn took a fist to the face in the locker room.
-
-
BQ's "mechanics under pressure" still need alot of tweaking.
-Al
I am curious, which mechanics are you refering to? One of Quinn's better qualities is his mechanics, especially when moving out of the pocket to avoid the rush. High chop steps with the ball remaining high in a position to throw w/o having to reload.
Masters said:
I am curious, which mechanics are you refering to? One of Quinn's better qualities is his mechanics, especially when moving out of the pocket to avoid the rush. High chop steps with the ball remaining high in a position to throw w/o having to reload.Your quote of JasonJ comes from the same JasonJ that I quoted. (Speaking of which, I hope we hear more from him soon.)
I think it's not so much a matter of scrambling out of the pocket as it is "staring down the barrel." BQ moves well when out of the pocket, but his mechanics under pressure inside of the pocket leaves something to be desired. He tends to hurry through his motion, throw off of his back foot, etc., etc.
I know it's not easy to stand up to that barrel loaded with 250+ pound LBers and DL. He's gotta learn to stand tall and take the occasional beating.
-Al
-
Masters said:
I am curious, which mechanics are you refering to? One of Quinn's better qualities is his mechanics, especially when moving out of the pocket to avoid the rush. High chop steps with the ball remaining high in a position to throw w/o having to reload.Your quote of JasonJ comes from the same JasonJ that I quoted. (Speaking of which, I hope we hear more from him soon.)
I think it's not so much a matter of scrambling out of the pocket as it is "staring down the barrel." BQ moves well when out of the pocket, but his mechanics under pressure inside of the pocket leaves something to be desired. He tends to hurry through his motion, throw off of his back foot, etc., etc.
I know it's not easy to stand up to that barrel loaded with 250+ pound LBers and DL. He's gotta learn to stand tall and take the occasional beating.
-Al
Your quote of JasonJ comes from the same JasonJ that I quoted. (Speaking of which, I hope we hear more from him soon.)
I think it's not so much a matter of scrambling out of the pocket as it is "staring down the barrel." BQ moves well when out of the pocket, but his mechanics under pressure inside of the pocket leaves something to be desired. He tends to hurry through his motion, throw off of his back foot, etc., etc.
I know it's not easy to stand up to that barrel loaded with 250+ pound LBers and DL. He's gotta learn to stand tall and take the occasional beating.
-Al
I keep trying to get him to post here. I am gonna have to brow beat him and his wife more...lol
I see what you are talking about now. You were talking in the pocket. The little hop is a bad habit, that seems to come and go for him (broke it in college but started to do it this year in his few starts), and he does hold the ball a little low when in the pocket and the presure coming.
He does have to learn to stand tall and take the occasional beating. I think he will (he took plenty against Ohio St. in the bowl game). But he's got to play in order for that to happen.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login