Skip to content

What team has had the best QBs?

The Browns Board
24 8 1.9k
  • For purposes of this, I am basically ignoring QBs that may have had a "cup of coffee" with a team, e.g. Montana with the Chiefs or Johnny U. with the Chargers, that sort of thing. Here is a list of the NFL teams and some of the quality QBs they have had. (HOF highligted):

    Cardinals: Charley Johnson, Jim Hart, Neil Lomax, Jake Plummer, Kurt Warner

    Bills: Jack Kemp, Joe Ferguson, Jim Kelly

    Bears: George Blanda, Sid Luckman, Jim McMahon, Bill Wade

    Browns: Otto Graham, Frank Ryan, Bill Nelsen, Brian Sipe, Bernie Kosar, Tim Couch

    Cowboys: Don Meredith, Roger Staubach, Danny White, Troy Aikman, Tony Romo

    Broncos: Craig Morton, John Elway, Jake Plummer

    Lions: Bobby Layne

    Packers: Arnie Herber, Tobin Rote, Bart Starr, Lynn Dickey, Brett Favre, Aaron Rodgers

    Colts: Johnny Unitas, Bert Jones, Peyton Manning

    Chiefs: Len Dawson, Bill Kenney, Trent Green

    Dolphins: Bob Griese, Dan Marino

    Vikings: Fran Tarkenton, Joe Kapp, Daunte Culpepper

    Patriots: Babe Parilli, Steve Grogan, Drew Bledsoe, Tom Brady

    Giants: George Conerly, Benny Friedman, Y.A. Tittle, Phil Simms, Jeff Hostetler, Fran Tarkenton, Eli Manning

    Jets: Joe Namath, Richard Todd, Ken O'Brien, Chad Pennington

    Raiders: Darryl Lamonica, Ken Stabler, Jim Plunkett, Marc Wilson, Rich Gannon

    Eagles: Norm Van Brocklin, Norm Snead, Sonny Jurgenson, Ron Jaworski, Randall Cunningham, Donovan McNabb

    Steelers: Terry Bradshaw, Neil O'Donnel, Ben Roethlisberger

    Chargers: John Hadl, Dan Fouts, Stan Humphries, Philip Rivers

    49ers: Y.A. Tittle, John Brodie, Joe Montana, Steve Young, Jeff Garcia

    Rams: Bob Waterfield, Norm Van Brocklin, Roman Gabriel, Vince Ferragamo, Jim Everett, Kurt Warner

    Oilers/Titan: George Blanda, Dan Pastorini, Warren Moon, Steve McNair

    Redskins: Sammy Baugh, Sonny Jurgenson, Joe Theismann

    Falcons: Steve Bartkowski, Chris Chandler, Mike Vick, Ryan

    Bengals: Ken Anderson, Boomer Esiason, Carson Palmer

    Saints: Archie Manning, Bobby Hebert, Drew Brees

    Buccaneers: Doug Williams, Vinny Testaverde, Brad Johnson

    Seahawks: Jim Zorn, Dave Kreig, Matt Hasselback

    Jaguars: Mark Brunell, Byron Leftwich, David Garrard

    Texans: David Carr, Matt Schaub

    Panthers: Kerry Collins, Jake Delhomme

    Ravens: Kyle Boller, Joe Flacco

    So, how would you rate the best group, give say Top 5. And how about the worst?

  • Note of course that though they weren't highlighted, the likes of Brady, Peyton Manning, Kurt Warner, and Brett Favre are pretty sure fire HOFers.

  • I think the teams with the top QB class is probably The Packers. Two are in: Herber, Starr, plus Favre a shoe in, plus the current hottest QB going.

    Next I think is the Giants, 3 HOFs withe Tittle, Friedman and Tarkenton (though Tark played 5-6 years with Giants he made his name with the Vikings). It remains to be seen if Eli Manning will become a HOF caliber QB. Not yet.

    Third is the 49ers with Montana and Young, and Tittle (again though, Tittle, despite playing about 7-8 years with the 49ers, is best known as a Giant).

    Honestly, the worst I think is The Lions. Since Bobby Layne in the 50s they have not had a consistent QB play for that team. I mean the only guys that have QBd that team for like 4-5 years have been names like Eric Hipple, Joey Harrington and Scott Mitchell. NOT stellar at all. For their sake, maybe Matt Stafford will become something decent.

    Other teams that have not had much QB success have not been around nearly as long, like the Panthers.

  • I was a at Rotary lunch that Y.A. Tittle was speaking at. He was about 75 years old at the time. He talked about playing for the niners and getting traded during a pre-season game to NY. The thing that I thought was the funniest and most admirable thing was that he had nothing good to say about Otto Graham and Paul Brown. To see a guy who still had that much competitiveness and fire at that age after accomplishing what he had was inspiring. It also reinforced the theory that PB was a football genius.

  • I was a at Rotary lunch that Y.A. Tittle was speaking at. He was about 75 years old at the time. He talked about playing for the niners and getting traded during a pre-season game to NY. The thing that I thought was the funniest and most admirable thing was that he had nothing good to say about Otto Graham and Paul Brown. To see a guy who still had that much competitiveness and fire at that age after accomplishing what he had was inspiring. It also reinforced the theory that PB was a football genius.

    @1-more-season said:

    I was a at Rotary lunch that Y.A. Tittle was speaking at. He was about 75 years old at the time. He talked about playing for the niners and getting traded during a pre-season game to NY. The thing that I thought was the funniest and most admirable thing was that he had nothing good to say about Otto Graham and Paul Brown. To see a guy who still had that much competitiveness and fire at that age after accomplishing what he had was inspiring. It also reinforced the theory that PB was a football genius.

    I assume by that you mean that he wasn't being personal, just that he was essentially bitter over getting his ass beat by OG and PB time and again, right?

  • Y.A. usually ended up like this after playing the Browns:

    ph-tittle-s_med.jpg

    This is one of the most famous photos in NFL history.

  • It all depends on how many QB's you want to list. If it's a 2 man list per team then I go with 49ers. If it's a 3 man list I go with GB. and Any more then 3 I would say Dallas

  • @1-more-season said:

    I was a at Rotary lunch that Y.A. Tittle was speaking at. He was about 75 years old at the time. He talked about playing for the niners and getting traded during a pre-season game to NY. The thing that I thought was the funniest and most admirable thing was that he had nothing good to say about Otto Graham and Paul Brown. To see a guy who still had that much competitiveness and fire at that age after accomplishing what he had was inspiring. It also reinforced the theory that PB was a football genius.

    I assume by that you mean that he wasn't being personal, just that he was essentially bitter over getting his ass beat by OG and PB time and again, right?

    @the-gipper said:

    I assume by that you mean that he wasn't being personal, just that he was essentially bitter over getting his ass beat by OG and PB time and again, right?

    No it wasn't personal. It came up while talking about how he called all his own plays on the field. Yes bitter about loosing to OG ad the Browns. He said he did'nt like what at the time was thought to be a gimmicky passing offense that PB and Otto ran and that PB called the plays and had them shuttled in to OG.

    YA also talked about how he spent a brief time as a scout for the niners and after a visit to LA Tech and seeing Bradshaw told the niners that "oh yah, he can throw the ball a mile but boy is he dumb, he cant remember the plays"he recommended that the niners not look to draft him in '70.

    Turned out he went 1st as we all know just imagine if he YA worked for the Steelers and made that reco to them. They may have passed on Bradshaw taken Phips at 1 leaving Bradshaw to the Browns at 3.

  • Y.A. usually ended up like this after playing the Browns:

    ph-tittle-s_med.jpg

    This is one of the most famous photos in NFL history.

    @the-gipper said:

    Y.A. usually ended up like this after playing the Browns:

    ph-tittle-s_med.jpg

    This is one of the most famous photos in NFL history.

    That photograph was taken in Pittsburgh.

  • Raiders: Darryl Lamonica, Ken Stabler, Jim Plunkett, Marc Wilson, Rich Gannon

    Kenny Stabler was the mans QB. The guy use to drink Jack Daniels during practice and kick ass on Sundays, he's worth three Tom Brady's.

  • Raiders: Darryl Lamonica, Ken Stabler, Jim Plunkett, Marc Wilson, Rich Gannon

    Kenny Stabler was the mans QB. The guy use to drink Jack Daniels during practice and kick ass on Sundays, he's worth three Tom Brady's.

    @atenears said:

    Raiders: Darryl Lamonica, Ken Stabler, Jim Plunkett, Marc Wilson, Rich Gannon

    Kenny Stabler was the mans QB. The guy use to drink Jack Daniels during practice and kick ass on Sundays, he's worth three Tom Brady's.

    Agreed i always liked Kenny Stabler he was something else

  • Kenny Stabler was the mans QB. The guy use to drink Jack Daniels during practice and kick ass on Sundays, he's worth three Tom Brady's. NW220

    *****************************************************

    Joe Namath is one of the greatest qb's I ever watched. He stayed up all night on Sat nights, talking with three ladies at one time,

    and still kicked ass on Sundays ! 😉

  • It all depends on how many QB's you want to list. If it's a 2 man list per team then I go with 49ers. If it's a 3 man list I go with GB. and Any more then 3 I would say Dallas

    @browns149 said:

    It all depends on how many QB's you want to list. If it's a 2 man list per team then I go with 49ers. If it's a 3 man list I go with GB. and Any more then 3 I would say Dallas

    If you are just going with 2, I think the Colts with Unitas and Manning have the best duo, combined, those two outshine the combo of Montana and Young by a wide margin in my opinion.

  • Kenny Stabler was the mans QB. The guy use to drink Jack Daniels during practice and kick ass on Sundays, he's worth three Tom Brady's. NW220

    *****************************************************

    Joe Namath is one of the greatest qb's I ever watched. He stayed up all night on Sat nights, talking with three ladies at one time,

    and still kicked ass on Sundays ! 😉

    @calfoxwc said:

    Kenny Stabler was the mans QB. The guy use to drink Jack Daniels during practice and kick ass on Sundays, he's worth three Tom Brady's. NW220

    *****************************************************

    Joe Namath is one of the greatest qb's I ever watched. He stayed up all night on Sat nights, talking with three ladies at one time,

    and still kicked ass on Sundays ! 😉

    Just talking?

  • OK, well, let's take this thread in a slightly different direction: Who would you rate as the Top 5 or 10 QBs of all time.

    Here is a list I have put together in alphabetical order that I think the primary candidates would probably come from, but certainly you are free to add to the list:

    Troy Aikman

    Sammy Baugh

    Terry Bradshaw

    Tom Brady

    Len Dawson

    John Elway

    Brett Favre

    Dan Fouts

    Benny Friedman

    Otto Graham

    Arner Herber

    Sonny Jurgenson

    Jim Kelly

    Sid Luckman

    Peyton Manning

    Dan Marino

    Joe Montana

    Warren Moon

    Joe Namath

    Bart Starr

    Roger Staubach

    Fran Tarkenton

    John Unitas

    Steve Young

    So, who is your Top 5?

  • I dono about Manning and Unitas over Montana and Young...Id take the rings but the 49ers had better teams as opposed to say the Colts may had the better Talent at the QB position, it'd be a good agrument

  • I dono about Manning and Unitas over Montana and Young...Id take the rings but the 49ers had better teams as opposed to say the Colts may had the better Talent at the QB position, it'd be a good agrument

    @nw220 said:

    I dono about Manning and Unitas over Montana and Young...Id take the rings but the 49ers had better teams as opposed to say the Colts may had the better Talent at the QB position, it'd be a good agrument

    I don't know how old you are, but I saw all of them play. For me, Unitas and Montana are an even match, so it would come down to who I thought was better, Young or Manning, and my vote is for Manning for a fairly wide margin.

  • Id give Montana a Slight edge over Unitas and give Manning a slight edge over Young so to me there pretty equal

  • I think my Top 5 QBs would be, in no order: Graham, Unitas, Montana, Elway, Manning

    Next 5: Marino, Baugh, Kelly, Brady, Favre....though I would have liked to squeeze Staubach in there, maybe in place of Kelly.

    Touch Choices.

  • My top 5 all-time would be

    1. Montana

    2. Elway

    3. Unitas

    4. Manning

    5. Marino

    And if Dan Marino had won atleast 1 title he would be #2. And by the end of his career Manning will be #1 on my list.